Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,489 members, 7,901,390 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 09:26 AM

Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' (1269 Views)

Groom Proudly Shows Off His Ring (Lovely Wedding Photo) / Who Is At Fault - The Groom, Bride Or The Side Chick? / Crying Couple: Bride And Groom Shed Tears While Exchanging Wedding Vows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by r231(m): 9:30am On Aug 27, 2010
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 7:03 PM on 25th August 2010

The moment a bride and groom were arrested at the altar on suspicion of staging a sham marriage has been caught on camera.

The fake couple were handcuffed just as the ceremony began inside St John's Church in Tilbury, Essex on Wednesday.

The Nigerian groom, 32, from Barking, Essex, and his 28 year-old Dutch bride, from Rotterdam, were left visibly shaken by the raid by UK Border Agency officials.

The couple, who spoke limited English, and two witnesses, a Nigerian man, 38, and a 31 year-old woman, were all arrested at the start of the service at lunchtime on Wednesday.

Another 35 year-old Nigerian man, believed to be the wedding “fixer”, tried to escape by scaling a 6ft fence but was caught by Essex Police officers.

It is understood the fake marriage was used for the groom to obtain a visa to stay in the UK, while the bride was paid up to £2,000 for her services.

The church’s priest, Father Tim Codling and his wardens, wife Jenny and another woman became suspicious after the groom supplied two different addresses in official documentation.

Authorities hid in the vestry while the priests pretended to begin the ceremony for the couple, who were both dressed in black.

Father Codling said yesterday he believed the “vast majority” that occurred in his church were “sham marriages”.

"These people have just shown disrespect for this church and it needs to be stopped,” he said.

All five members of the wedding party were last night being questioned on suspicion of breaching immigration laws.

Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by InkedNerd(f): 9:34am On Aug 27, 2010
Eh ya cry
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by wales(m): 11:03am On Aug 27, 2010
Just come back home and work for your fathers land. All is well !
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by MOBO444(f): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2010
A black woman have a way of showing up in such situations.
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by muggle(m): 11:54am On Aug 27, 2010
Can't this guy (mobowateva) be banned?
He spews so much gibberish dat it makes one wonder how he came into being.

I sincerely hope he enjoysdrawing attention to himself or otherwise his would-be wife is
done for!
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by jaybee3(m): 11:57am On Aug 27, 2010
eeeyyyaaaaa
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by MissyB1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2010
Unlucky thing!
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 12:44pm On Aug 27, 2010
r231:

[b]Another 35 year-old Nigerian man, believed to be the wedding “fixer”, tried to escape by scaling a 6ft fence but was caught [/b]by Essex Police officers.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i couldnt help but find this particular part of the story funny

sharp naija boy cheesy
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by jaybee3(m): 12:53pm On Aug 27, 2010
Dats a dumb naija guy cos no way is he getting away from 'em cops. Maybe u haven't heard how jobless the police can be here in the UK
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 12:59pm On Aug 27, 2010
i was only being sarcastic. cheesy
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by jaybee3(m): 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2010
Okies tongue
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by kennethco1: 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2010
eyahhhhhh
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by r231(m): 9:49am On Aug 30, 2010
jay bee:

Dats a dumb naija guy cos no way is he getting away from 'em cops. Maybe u haven't heard how jobless the police can be here in the UK

grin cheesy grin
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by Tosinville(m): 10:13am On Aug 30, 2010
Fuk their country or wat r they feelin like or is dat place paradise? If no be say our yeye governments wey dey run things anyhow, wetin man dey find up nd down? Let him come back home, i'll search 4 a good job 4 him here lol so fuk united kingdom.
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by jaybee3(m): 10:21am On Aug 30, 2010
^^^^ must u swear?
I hope u know bypassing the word filter attracts an automatic ban. behave bruv
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 11:07am On Aug 30, 2010
^^^ touché cheesy
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by tpiah: 3:29pm On Aug 30, 2010
**not again**
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by Tosinville(m): 5:23pm On Aug 30, 2010
lol
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by yme1(f): 5:29pm On Aug 30, 2010
what a pity cry cry cry

wales:

Just come back home and work for your fathers land. All is well !
i dont really know why this comment gat me grin grin grin grin
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by blacksta(m): 5:35pm On Aug 30, 2010
y me:

what a pity cry cry cry
i dont really know why this comment gat me grin grin grin grin

It is that serious - na by force to live for overseas.

y_me whats up - how r u
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 6:05pm On Aug 30, 2010
blacksta:

y_me whats up - how r u

Blackie you no dey see fine woman comot eye. . . you can too toast jor tongue
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by yme1(f): 6:14pm On Aug 30, 2010
blacksta:

y_me whats up - how r u
cool babe and u?

googles:

LMAO grin grin grin blacksta is my brother in christ cheesy
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by blacksta(m): 6:27pm On Aug 30, 2010
googles:

LOL - googles stop following me - body no be wood - i don toast u and u no gree - wetin manz go come do now.
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 6:36pm On Aug 30, 2010
blacksta:

LOL - googles stop following me - body no be wood - i don toast u and u no gree - wetin manz go come do now.

grin grin grin grin

ah no o. . . you no toast me o,am not gay tongue

i like girls and Y me is my woman angry back off mate angry angry tongue
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by blacksta(m): 6:40pm On Aug 30, 2010
googles:

grin grin grin grin

ah no o. . . you no toast me o,am not gay  tongue

i like girls and Y me is my woman  angry back off mate  angry angry tongue

lol  - you must have done a sex change in the last hour  -u sef back off from y _me - that lesbo game wont work.

@post

sorry
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 6:43pm On Aug 30, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

you insult my manliness. . . hmm

lemme catch you, i ll show u pepper
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by blacksta(m): 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2010
googles:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

you insult my manliness. . . hmm

lemme catch you, i ll show u pepper

ok i go find u boyfriend but not y-me - erun agba - u might choke on that one
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by yme1(f): 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2010
LOL!!!!

THEM GO SOON BAN UNA TWO NOW grin grin grin

i gat alot of me to go around wink grin
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by blacksta(m): 7:00pm On Aug 30, 2010
y me:

LOL!!!!

THEM GO SOON BAN UNA TWO NOW grin grin grin

i gat alot of me to go around wink grin

y_me dear  - no mind that fake search engine -
wassup anyway missed u  kiss

Them no fit ban me - I know top people for nl. grin
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by Anabel(f): 7:09pm On Aug 30, 2010
eyah, sori broda
Re: Bride And Groom Handcuffed At The Altar As Police Raid Alleged 'sham Marriage' by googles: 7:10pm On Aug 30, 2010
blacksta:

y_me dear  - no mind that fake search engine -
wassup anyway missed u  kiss

Them no fit ban me  - I know top people for nl.  grin

ashewo boi . .  grin

expect your ban. . . lemme quickly notify seun incase you dont know we post from the same house am Googles Osewa  cheesy

(1) (Reply)

31th Dec / Does Marriage Destroy Friendship?: Vote / I Need Advices Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.