Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,598 members, 7,951,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 05:19 PM

Why Do Workplaces Still Have Strict Dress Codes? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Workplaces Still Have Strict Dress Codes? (536 Views)

Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Workplaces Still Have Strict Dress Codes? by qwenu: 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2019
Why do I have to appear at work, Monday to Friday in a suit and tie as a man? Or come into work as a woman with a shirt tucked into a skirt belted at the waist while tottering on very impractical 6-inch heels?

Obviously, with its new memo allowing more flexibility in its staff dressing, Goldman Sachs agrees with me.

Why do workplaces still have strict dress codes? Goldman Sachs has released a memo allowing a more relaxed dress code for its employees
Goldman Sachs has released a memo allowing a more relaxed dress code for its employees.
But not just Goldman Sachs. More and more companies who used to insist on very formal clothes for their employees are beginning to allow for business casual clothes, realizing that stiff, formal dresses can stifle creativity, affect productivity,
and make employees uncomfortable and unable to focus on their work.

It is almost surreal to hear that the way employees are allowed to dress can affect the outcome of their jobs, but it is not impossible. I know people who would not work properly if they were forced to use a tie or wear a jacket. If you are anything like me, you would have probably found yourself yanking off jackets and kicking off shoes as soon as you get to the comfort of your desk on the days when your workplace insists that you have to come informally dressed.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people can excel under pressure with a rope around their necks called a tie and fitted jackets that do not allow them to throw up their hands in frustration when the situation calls for it!

Also, there has been no definite correlation between profits and formal dressing. Banks are not necessarily more profitable than tech companies who have their workers dressing down. Coders in button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, jeans and sneakers are most likely making more money than the customer service lady at the desk in a suit and of all things, a scarf on her neck. So, what is the fuss about formal dress codes all about? Click to read full article: https://qwenu.com/2019/03/07/why-do-workplaces-still-have-strict-dress-codes/

Re: Why Do Workplaces Still Have Strict Dress Codes? by meobizy(f): 12:31am On Mar 08, 2019
It’s understandable in jobs where you come across customers on the regular.
A bank hall needs people in official uniform so customers make no mistake when it comes to identifying workers from members of the public.
In a tech job where my client is probably a million miles halfway around the world I will work in a T-shirt and pair of jeans.
I remember IT repairmen in my former working place.
Those guys wore casual T-shirts and three quarter knickers.
Their dress code had nothing to do with their ability.

(1) (Reply)

Dead Turtle At Alpha Beach (video) / Beautiful Pictures From Iri Ji Mbaise Cultural Festival. / A Thread For Non Nigerians To Discuss Their Impressions Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.