Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,837 members, 7,872,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone (1859 Views)

Netflix Launches Affordable Mobile Plan With New Partial Download Feature / MTN Launches E-SIM In Nigeria / MTN Launches First 5G Technology In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Bukasinn: 8:48am On Mar 09, 2019
MTN Nigeria has launched its first affordable smartphone powered by Kai Operating System (KaiOS).

Speaking at the launch of the smartphone in Lagos, Rahul De, chief marketing officer (CMO) of MTN Nigeria, described development as a way of making smartphones affordable in the country and to also reach more people with internet services.

“Affordability of smart phones is a major challenge in this part of the world, hence, the reason for a smart phone with so many features selling at N8,000,” he said.

Order for yours now...

https://www.dollarmind.com.ng/2019/03/09/mtn-launches-affordable-smartphone/
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Abfinest007(m): 8:51am On Mar 09, 2019
these types of phones are not smart phones

1 Like

Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Dobson43: 10:30am On Mar 09, 2019
It's a smart phone for crying out loud. Low battery consumption. Low on ram consumption. Works as a hotspot too. Comes preloaded with Facebook and YouTube
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Kachi188(m): 6:39pm On Mar 09, 2019
Dobson43:
It's a smart phone for crying out loud. Low battery consumption. Low on ram consumption. Works as a hotspot too. Comes preloaded with Facebook and YouTube
Is that what makes a phone smart??

1 Like

Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Dobson43: 8:00pm On Mar 09, 2019
Kachi188:

Is that what makes a phone smart??

So what makes a phone smart?
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Dobson43: 8:05pm On Mar 09, 2019
Seriously, list your criteria for a phone to be called a smart phone without the encumbrances of being expensive? Then you have a point. You expect to have all the luxuries of a iPhone or high end android phone on a phone under #9000. Can you get a decent spec from an Android 9 phone with #8000?

What this os needs is more research and development. It's not ram or battery hungry like android that's for sure
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by bravesoul247(m): 8:44pm On Mar 09, 2019
Dobson43:
Seriously, list your criteria for a phone to be called a smart phone without the encumbrances of being expensive? Then you have a point. You expect to have all the luxuries of a iPhone or high end android phone on a phone under #9000. Can you get a decent spec from an Android 9 phone with #8000?

What this os needs is more research and development. It's not ram or battery hungry like android that's for sure
the guy has stated why it is smart, so talk what criteria should make it smart?
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by bravesoul247(m): 8:45pm On Mar 09, 2019
This is very good of MTN.
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by photon3106: 12:57am On Mar 10, 2019
It is a FEATURE phone! Don't be deceived.

1 Like

Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Darkseid(m): 5:30am On Mar 10, 2019
photon3106:
It is a FEATURE phone! Don't be deceived.
You probably have never heard of kaiOS before; you ought to read more.
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Ejadike(m): 6:23am On Mar 10, 2019
Darkseid:
What's kaios?
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by Ejadike(m): 6:24am On Mar 10, 2019
This is good from MTN. I'll love to get one for my baby sister
Re: MTN Launches ‘affordable’ Smartphone by photon3106: 10:19pm On Mar 10, 2019
Darkseid:

Really, i know more than what you think I know when it comes to mobile and PC Operating Systems. And for your information, I don't just read stuff from Wikipedia (take a glance here and conclude i've 'read' about it). I make indept research on any Os i come across. Ah yes, KaiOS has been around for a while now even before the so called MTN 'smart' phones were made. It is an Os based on linux meant for mobile devices. However, it lacks some essentials that qualifies it as Smart. For those asking what the essentials are. A phone or mobile telecom device is considered 'SMART' if it has the following capabilities:

1. Ability to multi task with user comfortability and usage fluidity.

2. Enhanced notification system

3. Interactive display (Lcd coupled with a digitizer)

4. Support for common day to day productive apps and fun apps

5. Relatively large dev base

6. Support for modern connectivity options

7. Ability to effortlessly share data and information with other devices (of the same type and or with other types)

8. Inbuilt sensors (phone's ability to listen/sense its environment)

9. Great aesthetic design and portability

You can add to the list but basically, these are essential before you can call a phone 'smart'

(1) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 7 Vs Tecno Spark 3 / How To Send Files To Another Phone Offline With Opera Mini / Iphone 7 For Sale 50k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.