Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,808 members, 7,918,622 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 12:51 PM

The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos (1057 Views)

** Buy Any Of This SUV Less Than 1m **without Clearing**good For Nigerian Roads* / No Going Back On Okada Restriction ─ LASG / Cars That Can Withstand The Nigerian Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by tosenbaba(m): 1:47pm On Sep 01, 2010
What has been your experience today?
My Office is @ Adeola Hopewell,.have a neighbor that works @ Awolowo road and he drops me off at awolowo rd, now, i had to walk from there to my office.not to talk of those that bike frm Obalande or CMS to VI or Ikoyi and more so the buses are not readily available.

Would this be a totally welcome idea,
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by chelseabmw(m): 2:59pm On Sep 01, 2010
if okada riders are being banned permanently then it will be a welcome idea
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by femy2010(m): 3:22pm On Sep 01, 2010
Though the notorious manner these okadas drive warrants the ban but how would they keep body and soul together?
I would have preferred a strict enforcement of the 1passenger rule and compulsory usage of helmet and the no okada after 10pm should still stand.
I live in the hinterland of abule-egba and many a morning I would need to get my dealings done in ikeja/oshodi end of Lagos but going with my private car to oshodi under the ever present traffic log jam on that route means many lost appointment but the okadas has always aided my prompt arrival at my destination.
I cant help it that I find myself advocating for their stay.
In all,the govt knows best and EKO O NI BAJE OO.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by suspected: 3:27pm On Sep 01, 2010
@chelseabmw

you don't stay in lagos so don't contribute
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by bigfather(m): 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2010
suspected:

@chelseabmw

Abi o ! He can't understand o'jare ! grin
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2010
@ big father and Suspected,
You seem to be insinuating that the utter disregard for traffic rules and regulations by Okada riders should be condoned and tolerated; that no matter the negative implications, Okada riders are a necessary evil. What is bad is bad. We cannot interpret wrong for right just to suit our purposes. If you love omelet then be ready to break that lovely and delicate egg! I quite understand Chelesabmw's point of view. It might seem extreme, but it's not unwarrantable. The Lagos State government appreciates the situation and so it elects to mitigate rather than eliminate it: if okada riders cannot be banned outright, it could at least limit their nuisances by restricting the extent of their spatial operations.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by obojo(m): 6:39pm On Sep 01, 2010
getting to work late or getting there as the late MR so so and so , which do you prefer?
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 6:57pm On Sep 01, 2010
It is always better to be late than late.
Do we not have the mouth to say "Okada man if you move any faster than this i will alight from your bike".

So why ban them?
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 01, 2010
femmy2010:

It is always better to be late than late.
Do we not have the mouth to say "Okada man if you move any faster than this i will alight from your bike".

So why ban them?

A rather simplistic understanding and interpretation of the issue at hand. How many commuters, for example, caution their Okada driver against driving against traffic? And please get the facts right: Okada riders are not banned, they're only restricted on certain highways.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by bigfather(m): 9:59pm On Sep 01, 2010
Costee:

@ big father and Suspected,
You seem to be insinuation that the utter disregard for traffic rules and regulations by Okada riders should be condoned and tolerated; that no matter the negative implications, Okada riders are a necessary evil. What is bad is bad. We cannot interpret wrong for right just to suit our purposes. If you love omelet then be ready to break that lovely and delicate egg! I quite understand Chelesabmw's point of view. It might seem extreme, but it's not unwarrantable. The Lagos State government appreciates the situation and so it elects to mitigate rather than eliminate it: if okada riders cannot be banned outright, it could at least limit their nuisances by restricting the extent of their spatial operations.

@Costee. Don't get me wrong bro. Am not advocating for their stay neither am i advocating for their restriction. But we all need to understand that if you are restricting them,then there should be a provision to cushion the effect. My brother you really need to see people on the island today. You can imagine someone walking all the way from falomo to the V/island. The govt should make an alternative way of transport before banning the ones being mannaged by the masses. To end it all, the okada guys can be so annoying atimes.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 10:51pm On Sep 01, 2010
@costee,
I know the okadas were not banned but BANNED from plying highways.
They say certain highway but we all know they meant all highway.
Where their dealings are restricted to is the hinterlands where the need for an okada is minimal because of the never occuring traffic jam and the availability of cheaper alternatives in bus and keke.
The big boss has no one to query them even if the spend d whole morning in traffic but us who could get queried or sacked for late arrival to work.
Okada seems a cause to the cream de la creame but for these without the creame it is a blessing.
The law has been placed and many of us have no other choice than cope with seating out any traffic jam or waiting till whenever they can get a bus to work.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 01, 2010
@big father,
Well said. Bad things might be convenient while the proper ones might be discomforting. Yes, the inconvenience of the restriction is for the moment glaring, but it's a problem that's bound to be resolved. Progress is all about making mistakes and then correcting them. The fear to make changes because the situation seems less discomforting (not necessarily right or even convenient) can only lead to stagnation. Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention. The present problems caused by the Okada restriction will certainly compel some solution to improve the transportation system. Let's face it, the massive reliance on Okada as an important means of transportation is an index of underdevelopment. Should we therefore continue to extol Okada just because we feel that it's the most convenient means of transportation? Rather we should strive to extricate ourselves from its shackles. That's progress to me.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by vinmol: 2:46pm On Sep 03, 2010
the ban of okada from major express roads is highly welcomed by me.

i have seen car crush okada in ikorodu and a bus loaded with passenger crashing trying to avoid an okada dat just ran infront of him

ihave seen BRT buses on 2 occasions crushing okada rider and the passenger on Ikorodu road too

i have seen an okada crushed to death on third mainland bridge.

these sights are goring! OKADA should stick to the surburbs of lagos like college road to Ojota bus-stop
Ogba to Berger bustops,

not Ikorodu road, Ikosi road, thirdmainland bridge, Mobolaji bank anthony, i mean i know how many times i have slammed my breaks becos of a useless aboki running into my fron without warning.

the death rates is high and these riders never want to use the service lanes usually plied by slower moving vehicles, i mean this is really good, i personally blocked 3 for tax force men yesterday and i was really glad they were caught for their own safety.

i hope they learn their leassons and stop. MEANWHILE LASTMA THIS SHOULD NOPT BE ANOTHER AVENUE FOR CORRUPTION O!
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by mrofficial(m): 11:25pm On Sep 03, 2010
Cho Cho Cho, Rubbish!

Do people not die of Car accident? Hun? Was it Okada that killed about 40 people @ lagos/ibadan express way? Mcheewwww!
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by mrofficial(m): 11:26pm On Sep 03, 2010
vinmol:

the ban of okada from major express roads is highly welcomed by me.

i have seen car crush okada in ikorodu and a bus loaded with passenger crashing trying to avoid an okada dat just ran infront of him

ihave seen BRT buses on 2 occasions crushing okada rider and the passenger on Ikorodu road too

i have seen an okada crushed to death on third mainland bridge.

these sights are goring! OKADA should stick to the surburbs of lagos like college road to Ojota bus-stop
Ogba to Berger bustops,

not Ikorodu road, Ikosi road, thirdmainland bridge, Mobolaji bank anthony, i mean i know how many times i have slammed my breaks becos of a useless aboki running into my fron without warning.

the death rates is high and these riders never want to use the service lanes usually plied by slower moving vehicles, i mean this is really good, i personally blocked 3 for tax force men yesterday and i was really glad they were caught for their own safety.

i hope they learn their leassons and stop. MEANWHILE LASTMA THIS SHOULD NOPT BE ANOTHER AVENUE FOR CORRUPTION O!

You need deliverance!
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by obojo(m): 12:34am On Sep 04, 2010
bikes are death traps simple, you cant even compare the rate of deaths from bikes to motor vehicles, Go to a major hospital and you will see,
The only people i sympathize with are the riders that use it as a means of livelihood not the passengers.
It is a welcome ban on major roads,
Bikes are DANGEROUS!!
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by femmy2010(m): 12:37am On Sep 04, 2010
All the govt need do is a strict enforcement of the existing road rules as that would help breed a greater good for the state.
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by chelseabmw(m): 10:37am On Sep 04, 2010
suspected:

@chelseabmw

who told u i don't stay in lagos? This is tribilism
i have no right to contribute again shocked shocked shocked shocked
what is nairaland turning into?
Re: The Restriction Of Okoda On Major Roads In Lagos by chelseabmw(m): 10:43am On Sep 04, 2010
big father:

Abi o ! He can't understand o'jare ! grin

I GO BEAT U OOOO

(1) (Reply)

Need A Good Car Btw 400-600k / 2006 Nissan Amanda For Dash In Akure / Niaja Used Toyota Camry 08 For 2.2m @ Perfect Auto 07936869641,012213253

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.