Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,154 members, 7,900,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 06:31 AM

God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking (1305 Views)

Revealed: The Bible Says God Did Not Create Man. / God Did Not Create Man In His Image, We Created God In Our Image / God Did "NOT" Create "ONLY" Adam But Many People - Obadiah777 Vs Goshen360 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by mrofficial(m): 10:49pm On Sep 02, 2010
LONDON (Reuters) – God did not create the universe and the "Big Bang" was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

In "The Grand Design," co-authored with U.S. physicist Leonard Mlodinow, Hawking says a new series of theories made a creator of the universe redundant, according to the Times newspaper which published extracts on Thursday.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Hawking, 68, who won global recognition with his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," an account of the origins of the universe, is renowned for his work on black holes, cosmology and quantum gravity.

Since 1974, the scientist has worked on marrying the two cornerstones of modern physics -- Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which concerns gravity and large-scale phenomena, and quantum theory, which covers subatomic particles.

His latest comments suggest he has broken away from previous views he has expressed on religion. Previously, he wrote that the laws of physics meant it was simply not necessary to believe that God had intervened in the Big Bang.

He wrote in A Brief History , "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason -- for then we should know the mind of God."

In his latest book, he said the 1992 discovery of a planet orbiting another star other than the Sun helped deconstruct the view of the father of physics Isaac Newton that the universe could not have arisen out of chaos but was created by God.

"That makes the coincidences of our planetary conditions -- the single Sun, the lucky combination of Earth-Sun distance and solar mass, far less remarkable, and far less compelling evidence that the Earth was carefully designed just to please us human beings," he writes.

Hawking, who is only able to speak through a computer-generated voice synthesizer, has a neuro muscular dystrophy that has progressed over the years and left him almost completely paralyzed.

He began suffering the disease in his early 20s but went on to establish himself as one of the world's leading scientific authorities, and has also made guest appearances in "Star Trek" and the cartoons "Futurama" and "The Simpsons."

Last year he announced he was stepping down as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics, a position once held by Newton and one he had held since 1979.

"The Grand Design" is due to go on sale next week.

(Editing by Steve Addison)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking

Trashed!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Dolemite(f): 11:42pm On Sep 02, 2010
You don't need a genius to tell you there's no god. . .
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by watchme(f): 6:03pm On Sep 03, 2010
Dolemite are u well at all?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Dolemite(f): 11:10pm On Sep 03, 2010
Yes I am. . .why do you ask?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Favormi(m): 6:31am On Sep 04, 2010
Its like dis man is mad. 4 sm1 2 say God did nt mk d universe or did nt exist. It is total Madness. He beta go 2 a psychiatric
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by omobadan(m): 2:36am On Sep 05, 2010
Favormi:

Its like dis man is mad. 4 sm1 2 say God did nt mk d universe or did nt exist. It is total Madness. He beta go 2 a psychiatric

Why? Don't you think it's only a mad person that will believe there's a God as well? You can't call him a mad man because of his views. You can't prove there's God either. Or can you?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by OlamideSowole(m): 1:57pm On Sep 06, 2010
How can all the factors that create the beginning of life and the universe be mere coincidence.I mean do you know what the big bang theory is ,the big bang is the mute explosion of a single subatomic particle to form all the universe all happening within 1000th of a millisecond so fast not even the human brain can comprehend .How can a normal human believe that a particle so small even a microscope cannot detect formed the stars ,the earth even
Me and you, it is just not right i believe in all of hawkings works but this is just unheard of ,some being should play a part in all this and that being my friends is God who determines our fate he who created life on earth ,all the factors to support life are just too numerous to be mere coincidence.God created all.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Dolemite(f): 5:24pm On Sep 06, 2010
Olamide Sowole:

God created all.
Ok which one and why?
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by OlamideSowole(m): 12:48am On Sep 07, 2010
You seem to be an atheist.You ask what god created ,as i have said before "all".Why? You ask again,well all to the glorification of his name.I believe in God so much because the ability of man is limited we know very little of everything yet the little we know seems to baffle us,some being out there perfected everything if you take the scientific route it all just doesn't seem logical.Okay let me brief you,according to science a subatomic particle exploded to form the universe every last light year of it and beyond,after that some billion years later earth is formed, a meteor smashes into earth containing a non living substance contained in our body amino acid which then magically(they can't explain how) evolve till it got to me and you and we are still evolving.I have no problem with evolution but somewhere around particle exploding and amino acid forming life I get lost.I have come to my verdict about all this I leave you to make yours.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Blazing99: 12:23pm On Sep 07, 2010
It's very easy not to believe in God, by simply reading sense in a lot of imperfect theories and closing your eyes to issues that bring out the existence of a God.
This Hawkings guy has being a physicist most of his life, very intelligent but it is vivid to observe that he refused to see sense in other aspects of life that prove there is a God by looking into religion, arts and many other subjects.

Well He can be intelligent/famous but I'm not that stupid to let his limited ideas blind my believe in a reality that there is a God.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by bonetalk(m): 12:31pm On Sep 08, 2010
for people that are saying tha he's mad, no he's not mad. Though he has the brain , but he is using it wrong which he need to re-examine himself
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Blazing99: 10:15am On Jan 25, 2011
God is a mystery that science cannot demysitfy
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by samolina1(m): 11:18am On Jan 25, 2011
Though i am not a religious guy, but, there is God! The life is carefully created than for someone not to believe in a super-creator! Let's take a look at your body. Your eyes contain millions of lens cells, if one of these cells died out & it's not replaced you will surely go blind! And you know how much pressure you have applied to that eyes since you have been born, yet, nothing happen to the eyes. They are miraculous! Let's look at the universe. Experiment has shown that for life to occur, a particular pressure, temperature, gravity, e.t.c have to be attained, just like escape velocity in rocket launching! Or can you live under a condition of 762mmHG and 50 d/cent for 30 minutes? You will probably be a good food for cannibals! Or can you live under 5 d/cent, 700mmHG for 30 minutes? You will be dead freeze! So do you think all those come by chance? Stop kiddi'n.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by samolina1(m): 11:39am On Jan 25, 2011
God exist but we can't know his true identity! There are so many religion that claim they are serving God Christian, Muslim, Hindu, e.t.c, i don't buy any of their ways. God had been depicted in so many ways, but, none of them is right. Imagine a church/mosque establishing university with peoples money, yet, there fees is so exorbitant that you won't even want to try to go there, more than 500,000. If someone can't go church or mosque school, do you think religion make sense? I only pray to my God, not on ground of one religion. And believe in law of karma.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by samolina1(m): 11:55am On Jan 25, 2011
When you do something to someone, you should be expecting 10 fold of that thing for yourself! That's how life is suppose to be, not envisage of God holding your fate. God does not interfere in your situation unless you call on him to, which means if something bad happen to you, you call for it & it's the result of your past did!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Biggoozz: 2:39pm On Jan 25, 2011
I second the scriptures:"Only a FOOL says there is no God" if you seek God, you would come to grasp to why things are and happen the way they are.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by iphy42: 11:35am On Jan 26, 2011
Y is Darwin theory not a law yet?Y ve we not seen a monkey turn to man?Y is there no cure 4 death?
GOD is in charge jo!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Brite02(m): 12:40pm On Jan 26, 2011
if d dude says GOD dd nt create d universe then dia's madness in hs research, then hw wil he xplain d existence of man if GOD dd nt create d universe??i
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Blazing99: 10:05am On Jan 27, 2011
i'm glad nobody on this forum is buying this idiocy. I see no reason why I should buy the notion of a just one man and his handful of followers over billions of reasonable stable-minded people
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by paulsan(m): 12:31pm On Jan 27, 2011
It pledge me 2 read ur terms,bt one wonder why u come up which such thought of God existin,if u av a proble u pray 2 ur God and no answer that dose mean God never existed, listen even the wel read people never say so,scientics came wit such as a cover up.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Navi(m): 6:30pm On Jan 27, 2011
he dat says dia z no God z a BLATANT FOOL!!!!!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by damipaul(m): 1:19pm On Jan 29, 2011
God is a mystery that science cannot demysitfy

Completely agree with you, besides, like someone rightly said, Charles Darwin started this whole 'No God' nonsense, has his theories proved anything yet?! How can someone compare me with a monkey or reptile when it's obvious we're completely different. The physicist also said for the world to creat itself the law of gravity has to be in place, waiting for his explanation on what/who made gravity and it's laws. It's my humble prayer that the physicist and many in his line of thought will come to acknowledge that there's God and experience his awesome love and knowledge. Amen
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by efisher(m): 9:47pm On Jan 29, 2011
Just do some little research about this man and discover that he is a pure LUNATIC! He's currently a vegetable yet he says something like this. It is evident from nature that every creature is a product of divine design. Which explosion can give you something so nice and organized as the creatures of the earth? Which big bang can accurately carve out the universe? Check out the symmetry portrayed in every creature, Look at the balance displayed in the universe. Who gave the beautiful look to the flowers? Who made the different designs of fishes you see? I cant even begin to talk about man (Ask the doctors). Only a FOOL will say there is no God. Judge for urself.

If na so e easy, boys for dey make peppersoup, fancy cars, blackberries and all kinds of inventions from gunpowder, C4 or TNT!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Tunmi(f): 3:06am On Jan 31, 2011
The responses are simply funny. Hawkins is an established man, even with his disease. These are his works. You do not have to believe them. But insulting the man, come on. Really? He's a theoretical physicist, emphasis on theory.

People once used to believe the world was flat.
People once used to believe that people of color were inferior.

It is alright to believe what you want, just do not go forcing people to accept your beliefs. Hawkins is not. I actually like the guy. He has defied all odds, overcoming neuro muscular dystrophy to become an accomplished and featured scientist.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Vindy: 10:47am On Jan 31, 2011
D world was made by a Master Creator, a perfect Architect. I don't go 2 chuch but we I go to places watch channels like Discovery n NATGEO I don't need anybody to tell me that there is An Alpha n Omega out. God please give me the strength 2 worship U, I want 2 die Worshiping U
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by efisher(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2011
Tunmi:

The responses are simply funny. Hawkins is an established man, even with his disease. These are his works. You do not have to believe them. But insulting the man, come on. Really? He's a theoretical physicist, emphasis on theory.

People once used to believe the world was flat.
People once used to believe that people of color were inferior.

It is alright to believe what you want, just do not go forcing people to accept your beliefs. Hawkins is not. I actually like the guy. He has defied all odds, overcoming neuro muscular dystrophy to become an accomplished and featured scientist.

Yeah we really dont have to insult him. There is no use.

On the other hand, the fact that he seems established doesn't make him right. There are millions of people more established than him. In this case he is completely wrong. Man has created so many things out of DELIBERATE DESIGN and nothing meaningful out of DESTRUCTION. How much more God. Before you support the man, just take a look at yourself and ask this question: AM I AN ACCIDENT? Let your heart guide you. These things are not hard to see.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by Tunmi(f): 1:36am On Feb 01, 2011
efisher:

Yeah we really dont have to insult him. There is no use.

On the other hand, the fact that he seems established doesn't make him right. There are millions of people more established than him. In this case he is completely wrong. Man has created so many things out of DELIBERATE DESIGN and nothing meaningful out of DESTRUCTION. How much more God. Before you support the man, just take a look at yourself and ask this question: AM I AN ACCIDENT? Let your heart guide you. These things are not hard to see.

He is quite established. It's not a matter of perception. He has the accolades to prove that
I agree that his renowned status does not necessarily make him right. I like Hawkins and I find his theories interesting the same way I find the stories in the Bible interesting. I take neither to heart. I don't dwell on things like "am I an accident?" it's not an attempt to dismiss or insult you, I just never delved into that or wanted to. My view of life is to live and let live. Whatever happens, happens. The theories are just something for me to say "interesting". He may be wrong, he may not be wrong. That's not my concern . My fascination with Hawkins is that the man overcame a serious obstacle. He serves as motivation for me who battles no debilitating disease.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by samolina1(m): 1:50pm On Feb 01, 2011
Anyone with normal brain will appreciate this man works! But that doesn't mean that when he said there is no God you should blantantly believe him!
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by daamerican: 1:40am On Feb 03, 2011
I'm sure African scientist will use their own methods to prove this wrong.
Lol just kidding.
Re: God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking by abiseta: 3:11pm On Feb 03, 2011
There could be a 'GOD' somewhere, but totally disagree the Son of God theory, ati christ, mmmmmmmm will start believing the tall beared fellow comes back as a black man!!!! You are all white washed to belive in that!! And if its true, then I dont want to know him as he is equally racist!!

(1) (Reply)

Ex-chosen Member Expose Pastor Lazarus In His....... / 400 Million African Ancestors And The 1,500 Later Gospel. / 'GOD' and Angel In Photograph Of Clouds Over Cape Coral, Florida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.