Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,886 members, 7,872,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 04:07 AM

My 100% Organic Cucumber Project - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My 100% Organic Cucumber Project (5293 Views)

My Cucumber Project / Be A Distributor Of This Wonder 100% Organic Agro Product With Just #60k. / 100% Organic & Natural Turmeric Powder Is Available At Lower Price In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 9:35am On Mar 15, 2019
The introduction

Okay, I decided to start a new thread dedicated for this project. Believe me when I say this, growing cucumbers organically is definitely an herculean task. To be able to keep the fungi wahala in check is the major problem. I have tried on so many occasions to pull it off but I end up hitting the restart button. The outcome using inorganic means gave outstanding results but I am known for organic ways grin , so I mustn't compromise in the least way.
I have been able to grow tomatoes (in and out of rainy seasons) organically without issues. In short, it stands as the easiest thing to do for me but, this cucumbers ehn... cry

The Start Up Project
I went to the agrotropic stores an got two varieties

a. Nagano F1 Cucumbers
b. Marketer Cucumbers

Got a grow tray. Quite unfortunate I didn't get the big trays for crops like cucumbers.

Site Preparation
For this project, I used sacking methods. I didn't want to take chances at all.
Got my soil from a virgin land. Nevertheless, I hard to sundry it for about a week (leaving no rooms for flaws).

Got my manure and did same.

Mixed in appropriate ratio; 50:50 soil to manure mixture. After which I bagged it up in black poly bags.

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 9:45am On Mar 15, 2019
A total of 50 bags will be used to conduct this organic test.

The cucumbers in the grow trays did excellently well and plans to transplant them into the bags was underway. Everything had to be perfect. grin

Next, we went into the bamboo forest to cut good bamboos for staking the cucumbers. After which trellis were tied and Peggy in each of the bags. The proposed intention is 2 cucumber plants per bag.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 10:17am On Mar 15, 2019
Less I forget, I watered the bags with water mixed with homemade need mixture. This to help treat the already sundry soils mixed with manure in the bags.

The cucumbers are doing marvelously well and growing at an alarming rate and momentum. cool

Walahi, I have been a collector of neem seeds for sometime now with everyone looking at me like; "egbon, wetin you wan dey use this one do again?" angry

Oopse!!!.. This project started exactly on the 02/02/2019.

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 10:22am On Mar 15, 2019
The cucumbers where planted in the bag the next day in the morning. And immediately sprayed with the neem mixture. This will be done every 5days.

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 10:26am On Mar 15, 2019
Today's picture of the cucumbers. Exactly 2weeks after since I put them in nylon bags.

Note: I mulched the cucumbers with the filtered neem mix cake as a covering the the soils in the bags.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by Starraysfarm8: 1:32pm On Mar 15, 2019
commendable....you are about to harvest something green in weeks to come. Very good way to start.

3 Likes

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by DEBJOCH1(m): 3:32pm On Mar 15, 2019
That is Debino which is Date seed, what do you use it for and how do you use it?
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 5:24pm On Mar 15, 2019
DEBJOCH1:
That is Debino which is Date seed, what do you use it for and how do you use it?

Lol... Probably because I zoomed in. That's dried neem fruits (dongoyaro) in which I obtain my neem seeds to for blending.

2 Likes

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by Dadanoah(m): 11:08pm On Mar 15, 2019
Nice one
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 11:13pm On Mar 15, 2019
Dadanoah:
Nice one
Thanks. But I'll need lots of luck to pull this through organically. cool
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by DEBJOCH1(m): 3:48pm On Mar 16, 2019
Nice one following.
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by davesd: 9:33pm On Mar 17, 2019
nice one bro. following
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 10:54pm On Mar 17, 2019
davesd:
nice one bro. following
Thanks boss!!
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by FMCASH(m): 12:06am On Mar 18, 2019
Great job bro, will you be spraying soda ash on this too?
What's the quantity of soda ash to be added to a knapsack spray to prevent fungi, thanks.
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 6:37am On Mar 18, 2019
FMCASH:
Great job bro, will you be spraying soda ash on this too?
What's the quantity of soda ash to be added to a knapsack spray to prevent fungi, thanks.
Nope. I don't see the use for it. Moreover, my soil is well accounted for, did soil testing for extra precautions and the soil pH seems fine.

If I have to use anything that would be baking soda is in my arsenal for fungicides control. Well, the neem mixture seems to be doing the job just fine till present.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by FMCASH(m): 8:06am On Mar 18, 2019
jidestroud:

Nope. I don't see the use for it. Moreover, my soil is well accounted for, did soil testing for extra precautions and the soil pH seems fine.

If I have to use anything that would be baking soda is in my arsenal for fungicides control. Well, the neem mixture seems to be doing the job just fine till present.
good to hear
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 12:55pm On Mar 19, 2019
Today's Update

The growth of this cucumber is becoming alarming ooo. Went to water my garden crops this morning and I noticed my cucumber plants already flowering (both male and female). Then I said to myself, "isn't it too early fa?". I was almost tempted to prune it off.

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 1:04pm On Mar 19, 2019
Nevertheless, I still have a long way to go. 500 bags is my proposed target and I'm still at 102 bags cry walahi, it's so tiring.
Nursed 50 Murano 2 F1, 50 Tokyo F1 and another 50 Nagano this morning. The rest will be Tokyo F1 ( still a favoured one against the Murano for me... Self preference undecided )

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 1:12pm On Mar 19, 2019
jidestroud:
Nevertheless, I still have a long way to go. 500 bags is my proposed target and I'm still at 102 bags cry walahi, it's so tiring.
Nursed 50 Murano 2 F1, 50 Tokyo F1 and another 50 Nagano this morning. The rest will be Tokyo F1 ( still a favoured one against the Murano for me... Self preference undecided )
why stressing yourself with single grow,u can plant direct in sacks
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 1:14pm On Mar 19, 2019
jidestroud:
Today's Update

The growth of this cucumber is becoming alarming ooo. Went to water my garden crops this morning and I noticed my cucumber plants already flowering (both male and female). Then I said to myself, "isn't it too early fa?". I was almost tempted to prune it off.
if that is Murano it flowers and have visible fruits in 22 days,that crop is healthy.
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2019
okoroemeka:
why stressing yourself with single grow,u can plant direct in sacks
Yes o! Don't mind me. Actually did both this time around. Exhausted the soil I was bagging and still needed to just plant them all. That's why I went ahead with it pending the time I go looking for compost and soil again which is not anytime soon. cry . Honestly, I now give credits to farmers who engage lands in acres, how much more hectares. grin

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 2:37pm On Mar 19, 2019
okoroemeka:
if that is Murano it flowers and have visible fruits in 22 days,that crop is healthy.

Nagano to be precise. And a quick one for you Cucumber guru, I intercropped it with Makerter . i.e. planted Marketer cucumber inbetween every two rolls of the Nagano. Hope I am safe?
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 2:41pm On Mar 19, 2019
Just for Reference purpose let me mention this, the 5g Murano 2 F1 Sachet gave me 175 seeds only cry . I counted it all angry
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by somessi: 6:20pm On Mar 19, 2019
Wonderful. This is very inspiring, commendable and profitable. Have a staunch interest in ventures like this, though it tends to be tiring at some point. But provided one's doing it with great zeal and passion, there's always a feeling of joy and fulfilment. Knowing that hard work pays and nothing good comes easy. So, I really applaud you @Jidestroud. Looking forward to learning more things from you and hopefully venturing into this Agri line of business soon. More grease... bro. God bless!

2 Likes

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 7:09pm On Mar 19, 2019
somessi:
Wonderful. This is very inspiring, commendable and profitable. Have a staunch interest in ventures like this, though it tends to be tiring at some point. But provided one's doing it with great zeal and passion, there's always a feeling of joy and fulfilment. Knowing that hard work pays and nothing good comes easy. So, I really applaud you @Jidestroud. Looking forward to learning more things from you and hopefully venturing into this Agri line of business soon. More grease... bro. God bless!
The embolden is the key. I certainly can't count the number of times I have had to restart a project on the farm at the initial stages all in the quest of using purely organic methods. The lines are definitely falling in pleasant place now.

Thanks and God bless. cool

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 7:19pm On Mar 19, 2019
jidestroud:

Nagano to be precise. And a quick one for you Cucumber guru, I intercropped it with Makerter . i.e. planted Marketer cucumber inbetween every two rolls of the Nagano. Hope I am safe?
pls update us on the marketer regularly,it fetches premium price on the markets more than hybrid s,I will like to see the size and production rate compare to Nagano.

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by somessi: 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2019
jidestroud:

The embolden is the key. I certainly can't count the number of times I have had to restart a project on the farm at the initial stages all in the quest of using purely organic methods. The lines are definitely falling in pleasant place now.

Thanks and God bless. cool
Most welcome bro. Lemme have your contact please. Thank you.
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 7:37pm On Mar 19, 2019
jidestroud:

Yes o! Don't mind me. Actually did both this time around. Exhausted the soil I was bagging and still needed to just plant them all. That's why I went ahead with it pending the time I go looking for compost and soil again which is not anytime soon. cry . Honestly, I now give credits to farmers who engage lands in acres, how much more hectares. grin
I have been part of a megaproject by eagle foods the land was so big that it takes 4 guys 2 days to completely spray the farm and once application of fertilizer is 10 bags,150-200 bags is harvested every 4 days,after that project I have to politely decline to be involved in an even bigger site,I don't want to have hunch back working in a farm.

1 Like

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2019
Cucumber Update. 29days precisely!!!

Walahi, growing cucumber organically na serious war!!!. I ain't prepared to lose the battle any time soon. Made a few mistakes with spacing and numbers per bag. I had prune down to two per bag. Lesson learned for better project. Almost tempted to spray inorganic chemicals but I sure did resist the devil

2 Likes

Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by MoreTech(m): 10:28pm On Mar 31, 2019
Hello , Hide pls I need to talk to you on WhatsApp but I have lost your contact can you give your number again or you can add me on WhatsApp my number is 08028100266. Am Lawal we have been talking before on WhatsApp but I miss placed your contact.
Re: My 100% Organic Cucumber Project by jidestroud(m): 10:36pm On Mar 31, 2019
MoreTech:
Hello , Hide pls I need to talk to you on WhatsApp but I have lost your contact can you give your number again or you can add me on WhatsApp my number is 08028100266. Am Lawal we have been talking before on WhatsApp but I miss placed your contact.
I just sent a WhatsApp message across.
Good pm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quality Creates For Your Eggs. At A Very Cheap Wholesale Price. / Onion Scarcity : Southerners Have Started Planting Onions Like Cucumber / Distress Sale Farmland’s for sale in Abeokuta Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.