Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,742 members, 7,935,211 topics. Date: Friday, 30 August 2024 at 01:11 AM

Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu (19624 Views)

Boko Haram Has Not Killed Chibok Girls - President Jonathan / Jonathan Should Ensure I'm Not Killed- Amaechi / Tafawa Balewa Was An Intelligent Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Chongaiman: 7:21pm On Sep 11, 2010
Yes, Mbu may be right. But fact remains that a coup took place and was masterminded mostly by officers from a particular part of the country (a coincidence?) and most of the casualties of that coup were not from that part of the country (another coincidence?). The rest is history and the effects have stayed with us - an Igbo is just becoming the COAS since Aguiyi-Ironsi (just a coincidence again?). Some things are better left unsaid. Talk is cheap, fortunately actions speak louder than words. Mbu (through a third party?) may know what many of us may not be aware of. Unfortunately, 'tis folly to be wise where ignorance is bliss. In 9ja, some people make things happen, some watch things happen, while others wonder what has happened. Unfortunately again, most of the people in the first two categories are usually reticent while many NLers are in the third category. That should be no surprise considering the lack of decorum, parochial, prejudiced, uncouth, profane, indecent and abusive verbiage that have come to characterise our posts.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Abagworo(m): 8:05pm On Sep 11, 2010
Chongaiman:

Yes, Mbu may be right. But fact remains that a coup took place and was [b/]masterminded mostly by officers from a particular part of the country[b] (a coincidence?)[b/] and most of the casualties of that coup were not from that part of the country[b] (another coincidence?).

I will like to know which parts of the country you meant.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by bkbabe97y(m): 9:16am On Sep 13, 2010
Abagworo:

Pick up a history book, speak to older folk, or make use of Google; u'll get "which parts" he meant. . . . .
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by bkbabe97y(m): 9:17am On Sep 13, 2010
Aigbofa:

I've been busy, I didn't see your post. I was working on a new line of designer skirts for die hard Biafrans like yourself. We like to call it ISL for ( Ikemba Saint Laurent )

I thought it was "I.H.A": "Ikemba Haulz Azzz"
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by chiozor: 10:49am On Sep 13, 2010
@Eziachi
please I don't know, can you brief us on Abiola and Yardua death
maybe (just maybe) it will open more information on the usual slipery character of these mgbati folks undecided
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 13, 2010
chiozor:

@Eziachi
please I don't know, can you brief us on Abiola and Yardua death
maybe (just maybe) it will open more information on the usual slipery character of these mgbati folks undecided
I as well,i.m still eager to learn of the actual death of Abiola since Eziaci was present when he died.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Chongaiman: 4:49pm On Sep 14, 2010
Abagworo:

A word is enough for the wise. I used more than a word. The answer lies therein except of course, if you are otherwise, in which case your question has been answered below. . . .

bk.babe97y:

Pick up a history book, speak to older folk, or make use of Google; u'll get "which parts" he meant. . . . .
[/quote
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by kingvictor(m): 6:09pm On Sep 14, 2010
rubbish
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by T9ksy(m): 7:17pm On Sep 14, 2010
Quote from: Aigbofa on September 11, 2010, 06:09 AM

I've been busy, I didn't see your post. I was working on a new line of designer skirts for die hard Biafrans like yourself. We like to call it ISL for ( Ikemba Saint Laurent )

Posted by: bk.babe97y

I thought it was "I.H.A": "Ikemba Haulz Azzz"

Guys, please take it easy o. man nearly die from laughter.

I remember how the guy started off as zik of Africa but went to see his maker as Zik of Nnewi, lol
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by chiezy: 4:36pm On Sep 15, 2010
i am not really sure how this is helping because he died as a result of the coup. anyway its okay to know the truth. historians should take note
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Chongaiman: 5:22pm On Sep 15, 2010
^^^
Simple. Thus, the planners and executors of that are responsible for his demise whether directly or indirectly.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by bkbabe97y(m): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2010
Chongaiman:

^^^
Simple. Thus, the planners and executors of that are responsible for his demise whether directly or indirectly.

. . . . . .and since the planners and executors were 99.99% Ibos?
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by maxsiollun: 2:09pm On Sep 19, 2010
This issue will not go away, other people are now claiming that Balewa was NOT shot dead, and was actually alive for FIVE DAYS after the coup. Read on:

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/index.html?search_options=YTo2OntzOjEyOiJzZWFyY2hfbGltaXQiO2k6MTA7czoxNDoic2VhcmNoX29wdGlvbnMiO2E6Mzp7czoyMToic2VhcmNoX2NyZWF0ZWRfZmlsdGVyIjtpOjE7czoxOToic2VhcmNoX3N0YXR1c19saW1pdCI7aToxO3M6MTI6InNlYXJjaF9xdWVyeSI7czoxMjoib3NvYmEgYmFsZXdhIjt9czoxNDoic2VhcmNoX3NvcnRfYnkiO3M6OToib3JkZXJfbnVtIjtzOjEyOiJzZWFyY2hfb3JkZXIiO3M6MTA6ImRlc2NlbmRpbmciO3M6Njoib2Zmc2V0IjtpOjA7czoxODoic2VhcmNoX2RvX2FkdmFuY2VkIjtiOjE7fQ

It was a few minutes to 11 pm, on Friday, January 14, 1966, around Onikan, on Lagos Island, opposite the then Race Course, now Tafawa Balewa Square. A handful of Nigerian soldiers, led by Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna abducted the country’s first Prime Minister, Sir. Tafawa Balewa. The Prime Minister’s abduction was a well planned operation that went well without any fatalities.

At about the same time, just about a kilometre away in Ikoyi Island, also in Lagos, another group of soldiers, led by another officer, arrested the country’s Minister of Finance, Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh. That military operation too went well, although eye-witness accounts quoted by the British Broadcasting Corporation then, gave hint of a violent abduction, referring to slaps and beatings the flamboyant Finance Minister was given, even before the soldiers drove away with him.

Another group of soldiers was at that same time being led by a Major Donatus Okafor, to arrest or kill, if necessary, the country’s most senior Army officer, Major General Aguiyi Ironsi. This group failed to get the officer. The General was reportedly not found in his official residence. Neither was he to be found in his office.

The three groups and several others, were working in concert, coordinated by a Major Wale Ademoyega. The groups were communicating with and updating Ademoyega by radio. A few days earlier, Ademoyega himself had sent out a single message.

The Message said " Major Ademoyega will leave Lagos for a forty one days holiday and will arrive in Kaduna after fifty one days." It was a terse radio message, made seemingly so innocuous as to arouse no suspicions.

Indeed it went on the operations signaling radio of the Nigerian Army. Yet it was a call to mutiny by soldiers. It was actually a signal announcing the D-Day of Nigeria’s first military coup.

Major Wale Ademoyega, one of the three leaders of Nigeria’s first coup, sent from Lagos to their leader, Major Kaduna Nzeogwu, incidentally Nigeria’s first trained military intelligence officer announcing the readiness of Lagos for the coup.

Major Nzeogwu was waiting in Kaduna for the signal to begin operations that will take care of the Kaduna end of what the uninitiated were told there and then, was fairly routine "special internal security operation" by the military.

The message in reality, was only saying a firm date has been set for the coup in Lagos. Translated, the message meant "the coup will take off on the night of the 14 and continue until the morning of the 15th." The coupists had, at a prior meeting, all agreed that the coup had to be in the month of January. This and so much more has always been known about the coup on January 15, 1966.

This much that is known for sure, has been more of providence than by design. Only one of the three coup leaders lived long enough to tell the world how they planned the coup over a four-year period. In fact only two of the five Nigerian Army majors who led different aspects of the operations nationwide, on coup day, lived for more than two years after the coup.

The very rare eye witness accounts which told the story of the country’s first coup, has been largely facilitated by the direct accounts of Major Ademoyega, the only survivor of the troika whose coup set off a political tsunami that changed the story of Nigeria for ever.

Indeed Major Ademoyega’s two other compatriots, Majors Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna, lived for barely three years after January 1966 coup. Both died during Nigerian civil war which ensued less than 15 months after the January 1966 coup.

Ademoyega lived for more than 40 years after the event and was able to write probably the most vivid recount of the January 15, 1966 coup in his book "Why we Struck".

But 44 years after the coup attempt, a seemingly small piece of detail that Ademoyega’s true to life account, failed to resolve conclusively is now coming to the fore. It is the issue of how Nigeria’s first Prime Minister Sir. Tafawa Balewa died in the early hours of Saturday January 15, 1966.

An investigation by The Nation now suggests that the late Prime Minister may have indeed been alive up to at least the 20th day of January, 1966.

Nigeria’s first Prime Minister Tafawa Balewa was not killed on coup day, January 15, 1966, contrary to widely-held belief on the country’s first coup.

Also curiously, 44 years after his death, no official reports have conclusively given any answers to the many loopholes in the many stories the world has been told of how Nigeria’s first and last Prime Minister died. A curiosity it has become, considering that newspaper reports at that time, even indicated that the Prime Minister may not have been shot to death on January 15, 1966 by the coupists.

The trigger was pulled three weeks ago. The Nation began investigations of a hint given at a personality interview with Dr. Mathew Mbu, Nigeria’s first High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.

Nigeria’s first private digital archive, The Nation Databank started going round the country interviewing elder-statesmen and senior citizens for the country’s first-ever multimedia biographical databank.

While responding to a plea to write his memoirs, at the end of a four hour video interview, Dr. Mbu said he was told by the renowned poet, Christopher Okigbo, who was very close to the late Major Emmanuel Ifeajuna, that Prime Minister Balewa was not shot to death by the coupists, but died of an asthmatic attack while he was been held by coupists.

But revelations now coming from investigations by The Nation have been even more shocking. The indications are that there may have been high level official cover-up and deliberate disinformation in the last 44-years, to the effect that Prime Minister Balewa was brutally killed in the course of the coup.

Indeed, books have been published, some even by foreign authors, suggesting that the late Prime Minister may have been tied to stake and executed by soldiers in the course of the coup. Some other books even suggest that he was driven round Lagos and tortured before he was callously shot at close range. Yet for reasons still unknown, the Nigerian government has never made a comprehensive official disclosure of where, when and how the late Prime Minister died. Even official publications which would have thrown more light on the dark events of January 15, 1966 have been glibly, at the best.

Forty-four years after, none of the newspaper reports on the discovery of the body of the late prime Minister, have ever been controverted. The young journalist author then, who, with many villagers near Ota, on the Abeokuta express road, saw the body of the Prime Minister, around Iyana Ilogbo, before it was retrieved and flown to Bauchi for burial, has never been questioned by security agents, on the account he reported in the Sunday Times of the 23rd of January 1966. No reporter has ever been reprimanded or even questioned simply because there were many other corroborative "eye witnesses" among the villagers near the site of the discovery.

Similar reports were made in The New Nigeria of Tuesday January 25, 1966, suggesting that the late Prime Minister’s body was intact as at January 21, 1966 when it was found in the forest beside a badly decomposed bodies of Chief Festus Okotie-Eboh, the then Finance Minister. The reports specifically said the body of the late Prime Minister was in a sitting position, propped by a kolanut tree. The reports said Chief Okotie-Eboh’s body was badly decomposed and bullet riddled. Yet the Prime Minister was supposed to have been killed on the same day, six days earlier. It is inconceivable that a dead body will be in an open forest for six days without decomposing.

More confounding was the first report in the Sunday Times of January 23, 1966, that the Prime Minister’s body was actually fresh instead of been decomposed. The report said the late Prime Minister’s body had a white babanriga which was still "snow white". The report said the body had no marks, while the white toga, had no blood stains. Yet the Prime Minister body was supposed to have been bullet riddled and dumped in the open forest for at least six days prior to the discovery.

The Sunday Times in the front page report on January 23, 1966, carried the official announcement of the discovery of the Prime Minister’s body. But the official announcement was completely silent on the possible manner of the Prime Ministers’ death or time of death. Yet the same front page had an eye-witness report from a young roving reporter, Segun Osoba, which suggested that Prime Minister may have been alive for at least five days after he was supposed to have been killed by his abductors.

The young Sunday Times reporter then, is now Chief Segun Osoba, two-time civilian governor of Ogun state. Last week, in Lagos, the veteran journalist insisted that the body of Tafawa Balewa he saw about 7pm on Friday January 21, 1966 was a fresh body. That was what he reported then and which has never been controverted.

Former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode was however vehement in his defence of seeming official position, which flies in the face of logic and newspaper reports of the period. He only agreed that it may be somewhat difficult to see believe the official position that an autopsy done on the body of the late Prime Minister confirmed that he was shot to death.

Last Tuesday, Fani-Kayode agreed with The Nation that it is "really difficult to see how the supposedly badly decomposed body of the late prime Minister could have been evacuated to LUTH, Idi-Araba, some 30 kilometres from the site of discovery and an autopsy conducted on the same dismembered body, the body to be put together and packaged into a coffin and driven to Ikeja airport for the flight to Bauchi all within five hours". That was last week.

At the weekend, Fani-Kayode said he has been reliably informed that the autopsy was indeed carried out, but not at LUTH. He said he has been reliably informed that the autopsy was carried out at the site where the body was found in the forest and at night, by a doctor from LUTH. It was after the autopsy that the body was prepared for a flight and taken under watch of heavily-armed soldiers to the Lagos Airport, for a flight that took off for Bauchi, at 12.30 am Saturday January 22, 1966, with only the pilot and the flight engineer as civilians.

Chief Osoba was however emphatic last Wednesday that he left the Iyana Ilogbo site where he saw the bodies of Balewa and Okotie-Eboh at 8pm, after spending about one hour interviewing people and generally looking around. And that no autopsies could ever have been carried out on the body of the PrimeMinister because the body was on the way to Bauchi by flight four hours later, considering the impossibility of the logistics such would have necessitated.

Investigations are continuing
has for example, confirmed that all newspaper reports on the discovery of the body of the late Prime Minister in January 1966, suggest that Prime Minister was probably alive until at least January 20, 1966.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by AndreUweh(m): 4:02pm On Sep 19, 2010
Thanks Max,
The in thing here is that he did not die of bullet wounds. Though, the coupist played a secondary role to his death.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 19, 2010
Andre Uweh:

Thanks Max,
The in thing here is that he did not die of bullet wounds. Though, the coupist played a secondary role to his death.
Where did Max say the prime minister did not died off bullet wounds ? He only informed us of the investigation carried out by the Nation based on evidence obtained from ''various sources''.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Katsumoto: 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Where did Max say the prime minister did not died off bullet wounds ? He only informed us of the investigation carried out by the Nation based on evidence obtained from ''various sources''.

LWMKD

I thought I missed something. Its not like Osoba did a volte face and changed his story after 44 years. I guess some people will clutch at non-existent straws.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 20, 2010
I saw this on the nation website as parts of comments made on the topic

This is the worst form of revisionism ever.
[1]Tafawa Balewa was shot in the back while he was saying his last prayers. There was an exit wound in his chest
[2] Tafawa Balewa was in perfect health while he was prime minister
[3] His body was taken to Luth where an autopsy was performed
[4] Emmanuel Ifeajuna pulled the trigger. There are people alive who can confirm all this
[5] Pius Okigbo is no neutral commentator. It was Okigbo who smuggled Ifeajuna across the border enroute to Ghana
[6] Why would they have dropped Balewa off along the Abeokuta Rd were it not to kill him?
[7] Why would he have been saying prayers were they not his last words
[8] No one else has said there were plans to take Balewa to Calabar
[9] Why imprison Balewa at Calabar when there were prisons closer to lock him up?
[10] Is it not mischievous to allege that Balewa died of a heart attack just as soon as Ironsi announced the foiling of the coup. Was it the announcement that shocked him to death?

Ayo Akinfe
Author, Fuelling the Delta Fires
www.fuellingthedeltafires.com
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by maxsiollun: 12:45am On Sep 28, 2010
‘The late Prime Minister was shot’
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Chris Oji 26/09/2010 00:00:00

How did Abubakar Tafawa Balewa die?

My annoyance is that people who weren’t in the army nor any of their children been in the army are talking about stories the military people who operated did not talk about.

I am not happy about making reference to the fallen people of January 15,1966, like the way M.T. Mbu talked about Abubakar. Was he with us? Everybody who fell in the January 15 coup was shot. Abubakar was shot. They were abducted and shot. Nzeogwu gave us instruction to shoot any of these people at sight. Who said Abubakar died of heart attack? And what about it? Was he his doctor? Was he there? Why bring the matter up? Just to fan the embers of discord. Provoking certain people. Whether he was shot or died of heart attack, somebody or some people moved in to remove him from office dead or alive and never to see the next day.

Is it true that Ifeajuna after killing Abubakar ran to Enugu where he escaped to Ghana?

You know that January 15 coup was a national action but the Igbos are suffering it now. We carried out the coup to preempt that of the northerners which was to come on 17 or 18 January. It was Major Obienu, Lt Pam and Captain Remawa Mohammed, these three people, one Igbo and two northerners that foiled the coup to be staged in Enugu and Benin. The Hausa people made it impossible for the coup to succeed in Enugu and Benin. These three officers caused it. After, Nzeogwu wanted to match to Lagos to deal with Ironsi as the other four compatriots were afraid of Ironsi. Nzeogwu was dissuaded by them as they assured him that they would handle him. But Ironsi defeated them at Carter bridge when they accosted him. In fact, he hypnotized them, they couldn’t do anything.

It was after this that Ifeajuna ran to Ghana. How could he have escaped to Ghana from Enugu? Enugu and Lagos, which is nearer to Ghana? He escaped not because of Ironsi being in control but because Nzeogwu had declared that Ifeajuna must be killed for not being able to muster troops to crush Ironsi.

The two, Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna, carried their bitterness between them to Biafra. Because Nzeogwu said Ifeajuna must pay for the failure of January 15 coup, Ifeajuna continued to tell Ojukwu that Nzeogwu was planning to overthrow him, that was why Nzeogwu "was shown the way out of Biafran Army"

What really happened and what was your role?

If anybody says that Ifeajuna was rushing to Enugu to execute the coup there, he is talking nonsense. As soon as Ironsi escaped from us, Ifeajuna ran to Ghana to hide from Nzeogwu’s wrath. The man that was moving down to Enugu to execute the operation in Benin and Enugu was Major Christian Anuforo. And this was the man who actually planned and carried out the coup. He planned the coup and not Nzeogwu. Nzeogwu was the last man to come in through Captain Nwobosi. It was the only other four that were planning it. And it was what happened at Makurdi that moved them to plan the coup. It was Major Obienu, Lt. Pam and Captain Remawa Mohammed that foiled it.

How?

You see these people led by Major Anuforo were moving down to Enugu after Ijebu-Ode where they were refuelling their vehicles. Major Anuforo met with the three, Obienu, Pam and Mohammed and beg them to help him carry out the operation in Enugu and Benin. But Pam told the other two, Obienu and Mohammed they should bear in mind that if the coup failed, they would all be court- martialled. And they returned to Abeokuta and cut major Anuforo off from heading to Enugu. Anuforo was then using 404 Peugeot Saloon Car that had no communication gadget. So, he didn’t know what was happening. Another Igbo officer used a ferret car to overtake him and told him what happened. Anuforo then rushed down to Abedeuta before it was dawn. And on getting to Abeokuta, the news of the coup was on air.

Was there any post mortem on the corpse of Abubakar before he was buried?

No. I don’t think so. He was buried the same day his body was picked from the bush. And one thing they have not said was the fact that all of those killed in the January 15 coup were beheaded.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by maxsiollun: 12:45am On Sep 28, 2010
‘Balewa wan’t shot, I saw his corpse’
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Bisi Oladele 26/09/2010 00:00:00

There has been controversy on how Sir Tafawa Balewa, the first Prime Minister of Nigeria died during the January 15 1965 coup. You were alive at that time and had some experience of how it happened and possibly, you must have read some of the new dimensions to the incident expressed in the media in the last one week.

I was actually taking aback when I started reading Mathew Mbu’s version of Balewa’s death. I won’t contest the fact that Balewa might be having asthma or might be an asthmatic patient. I wouldn’t know that bit. It will be too great coincidence to say that Balewa died of asthma within January 14 and 15 first coup. What I actually know is that he wasn’t shot because there wasn’t any trace of blood on his corpse compared with that of Okotie-Eboh who was lying some metres away from where Balewa was dropped, with his back on a palm tree. It was a palm tree because I actually went and saw him.

You went there and saw the corpse?

Yes; both Balewa and Okotie-Eboh.

What was your observation?

No trace of blood. If we are to take it in terms of killing in this modern time, probably he was electrocuted or strangled but there was no trace of any stain not to even to talk of blood. He wore, not babariga as people called it, praying gown - white gown with small white cap. It shows that it might be during morning prayer or immediately after his morning prayer that he was caught. So he was sitting down, his back to a palm tree and his head bent down. But everybody could see that Okotie-Eboh’s body was shot because his flowing wrapper which was about 10ft long, was all soaked in blood with his special wrist watch on his wrist. But as far as Abubakar was concerned, no sign of any violence except probably he was strangled or electrocuted. No stain - nothing whatsoever. I was privileged to be one of the people who went to see the two bodies as early as 7am because we heard the news first on BBC by 3:00am. It was repeated in the 6 O’clock news. Radio Ghana confirmed that their bodies were dropped half way between Lagos and Abeokuta - that is how it was revealed on radio both BBC and Radio Ghana that - there was a coup and that the bodies of the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance were dumped half way between Lagos and Abeokuta. Ifo then was the half way where I happened to be living. So immediately after that news, by 7am, I took my bicycle along with a cousin, went to the bush where they were dumped. The bush is called Iyana Ilogbo. Owode village is just some feet on the left coming from Abeokuta. I was among the first set of people that went there. People were turned back by security agents as from about 10:00 am.

Now when you saw these dead bodies, what naturally came to your mind as the source of the death

We thought he was strangled or electrocuted

Was the neck dangling?

No. It just bent down as if he was looking on the ground. His back was rested against a palm tree in a sitting position.

Did you read the account of Chief Segun Osoba who was then a reporter?

I didn’t read his original account but the paper yesterday (Sunday) said he was soaked in blood. No! That was where I have total disagreement, no sign of any blood as far as Tafawa Balewa was concerned.

Did you read the account of Mathew Mbu?

I read a little bit of it. What actually annoyed me as far as that is concerned is that he said he died of asthma. Well, it would be too great a coincidence that he died of asthma on that early morning of the coup

Considering the fact that he was the sitting Prime Minister and there was a coup, you want to relate that account with Mbu who said that he died of asthma that morning? I mean relating the location with the alleged asthmatic attack. Do you see the possibility of that account?

As I said earlier, it would just be too great a coincidence. if Mbu had said that he was an asthmatic patient, that would have been a different thing. Even if he said he died through heart-attack or cardiac arrest it would have been more acceptable because when you saw something you didn’t expect it could happen it could lead to shock but definitely not question of asthma. If he actually died of asthma I don’t think the army would have anything to do with his corpse again bringing him down to where the body was found.

What were you doing in Ifo that time sir?

I was a primary school headmaster.

And you said you heard it on BBC?

Then I had a friend at the Telephone Exchange at Ifo who first of all alerted us that there was a coup going on. I could hardly appreciate what coup meant then because it was new. She was on duty that morning. You know they use earphone. Immediately she heard the discussion, she tapped the telephone of the Local Government Council and asked him not to speak but to just listen to the conversation that was going on within the military circle. It was that one that alerted us to BBC and Radio Ghana by 6.00am to hear the information that there was a coup in Nigeria. By 6.00am when Radio Ghana described that the bodies of the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance were dumped at a site half way between Lagos and Abeokuta, Ifo happened to be the half way.

What is the distance between Ifo and Iyana Ilogbo?

It is just about 5 or 6 kilometres and to Sango Ota around again between 4 or 5 kilometres

How did you locate there?

When we got there we saw some villagers around that place they said "Ha, Balewa and Okotie-Eboh are there". So we went there and by the time the news went round in Ifo, people who went later said between 11 and 12noon couldn’t find anything.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 07, 2013
Nzeogwu & co were not really out to seize power for themselves. They were military men & not experienced in politics. The trouble with coups &
violence in general is that once the beast is uncaged anything can happen & things go out of control. Panic on the part of the abductors or the victims can change the course of a well planned coup where taking of human life was not even the original plan,
Our nation have suffered a lot of shame & embrassment but intead of thinking of how to remove these shame & embrassment we are focused on ethnicity & tribilism. The little respect we have today as a great nation will cease the very moment we split. Which of the G8 or even G20 nations is a small sized nation? If we squander the only advantage we have because of our selfish desires we shall live to regret our folly. A word should be enough for the wise.
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by talktimi(m): 9:56am On Dec 07, 2013
EzeUche22: He died of asthma and they waited this long to tell us!

Wonders never amaze me.

Now when will the true killers of Adaka Boro speak up. Let the Ijaws know who killed their beloved leader.
Isaac Boro was killed by Nigerian soldiers shortly after the war with direc orders from "above"
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by MeAboki(m): 10:23am On Dec 07, 2013
Absolute rubbish, lies, Igbos yet again trying to re-write his history in order to wash off their guilt.

What those wicked soldiers did to the late prime minister was unspeakable, northerners in the know usually choose to not to talk about it out of due respect to the man and his family, in fact they strangled him and mutilated his body by cutting off his manhood and stuffing it into his mouth - God punish those bastards including all their subsequent generations ! angry angry angry angry
Re: Tafawa Balewa Was Not Killed By Soldiers: Mbu by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 07, 2013

Christopher Okigbo was also a close friend of Major Ifeajuna, who led the coupist in Lagos recounted the arrest of the Prime Minister to him first hand... Okigbo and Ifeajuna themselves were killed in action during the Nigerian civil war... Mbu who may also regarded as de facto Foreign Minister, was ironically sent out to India for a state funeral by the Prime Minister only hours before the coup...
Why in the world would anyone believe this story as the truth? Mbu was even away to India when it all happened, so it's more of a hearsay than the fact.(Mbu+Okigbo+Ifeajuna=Biafrans).grin
Besides, this revelation doesn't change the fact that the Coupists were animals who were instrumental in the demise of the PM and dumped his body in the forest to rot.
It's also illogical and unnecessary to take the PM to far away Calabar to make him handover to Awocheesy
I think we've known what's it to know about the civil war and its antecedents already. No amount of revelation will make any difference.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ekiti Poll: Fayemi, Olusola Know Fate Tomorrow / “PDP Would Have Written Election Results If Not For Card Readers” – Buhari / Is Jonathan Or Buhari To Blame For Poor Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.