Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,640 members, 7,918,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 09:33 PM

Nigerians! Wake Up! Say No To GMO Foods - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians! Wake Up! Say No To GMO Foods (322 Views)

How Do You Say No And Stand Your Ground? / I Notice Strange Marks On My Body When I Wake Up / Did Rose Gidado Lie To Nigerians? Are GMO Foods Really Safer Than Organic Food? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians! Wake Up! Say No To GMO Foods by dantewest: 9:29am On Mar 21, 2019
I am pro science, not pro Econoscience, that is, the art of using money despite the terrible health risk as a motive for scientific research and breakthrough. Why the Nigerian government will begin the process of allowing Genetically Modified Foods into our ecosystem still baffles me. Personally I think its a wrong move at this time. And I will explain why.

Starting with the head of the snake, the major bioagricultural giant, Monsanto has a bad rep in India, US, Europe and the international community. The reason is simple, their products, the GMO seeds and weed killers are harmful to human DNA. It curses cancer.
Question: Why is it allowed to be in the shelves of supermarkets despite the various court rulings confirming that they are dangerous? I can only imagine its the same reason why aviation and other agencies like insurance are allowed to regulate themselves and lobby (bribe) their products into the market. This is bad science. Science is the study of living things not the act of killing living beings. You just have to do a quick search on the internet on Monsanto. Just do a quick search of their roundup weed killer and see for yourself. Raising cancer risk by 41% is not child’s play. This is dirty business in play.

Monsanto is a very smart company, in other to save their products and maintain their market share, they merged with Bayer for $66b. Now Bayer is a brand many people grew up with in terms of quality care products. Their smartness has turned to a liability for Bayer in this new ruling against Bayer where a US court confirmed that indeed the Roundup weed killer causes cancer in humans, this caused a crash in their market share with shareholders apprehensive about the current development.

On a national level, the acceptance of GMO products into the country despite the unproven fitness for human consumption and the well known fact that the country is not scientifically ready to contain any sort of biohazard or cancer related or DNA bombardment on any level. Common polio that’s thought to be eradicated still rears its ugly head time to time. Lassa and Ebola are still on a look out phase. Do we have enough cancer research centers to battle the consequences? Do we have the adequate health facilities to accommodate the new health related events that’s sure to begin when the GMO products are introduced into our ecosystem?

Remember, this is a country where the President spent many months in a foreign hospital, despite having access to the Aso Rock hospital whose medical needs are included in the country’s budget.

The excuse the national agency gave was that there is a need for the technology due to the difficulties in cultivating crops like cowpea with its pest issues that reduces quality and yield. Europe has been rejecting beans exports from Nigeria due to health safety concerns on the use of toxic chemical agents to preserve the beans much longer than they should. This same European market is turning their backs to GMO with countries banning and prohibiting the product in their commercial or trial phase. So why is the Nigerian government going against the common sense trend and allowing this health risk into the county fully aware that it’s not an economically viable crop, and if it’s for public consumption, then why allow us eat DNA time bombs in the name of self sufficiency. Having a food surplus by any means necessary, healthy or not seems to be the aim of this government, food surplus equals to political campaign tool.

Nigerian journalists, activist, doctors, health workers, farmers and concerned citizens must continuously speak against this health risk by educating their followers on the dangers of been ignorant and consuming those things with fancy names and really beautiful packaging in the supermarkets. Always look for the organic or GMO label at the very least before buying any edible foreign product in the supermarkets.

See it like shopping for clothes, you always look at the label in other not to get the wrong product, in this case, its not Gucci rice but the packaging is quite Gucci if you know what I mean.

Our population in Nigeria is not rich enough to seek cancer treatment, many people are too poor too even go for cancer diagnosis! The citizens who will be exposed to this are not the rich, those people are smart, they eat healthy food and they are exposed enough to know the dangers and avoid GMO foods, the middle class and the poor are the target. In this country, middle class doesn’t mean you can afford quality health care.

https://decoffeehublounge./category/blog/

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Turn Off Helpers At ATM Places. / See This Improvised Seat In A Danfo / Sapele Little Sucess Then And Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.