Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,422 members, 7,822,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring (28320 Views)

Chess In Slums: I Have Personally Adopted 6 Children - Tunde Onakoya / Cristiano Ronaldo And Lionel Messi Play Chess In Louis Vuitton Ad / Profile Of Tunde Onakoya, Chess In Slums Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by joywendy(f): 9:25am On Mar 22, 2019
The Chess in Slums Initiative is a Non- profit organization aimed at using the noble game of chess to help youngsters in slum communities realize their full potential by integrating principles of the game with management of daily challenges in life, enhancing abstract thinking, creativity and innovation.

This initiative was founded by National Master Tunde Onakoya, a passionate chess player/coach who strongly believes that chess can be wielded as a powerful tool to change the world.

He says the game changed his life and he is trying to use it to help the children in the slums as he also came from there.

Recently, He did a short documentary with BBC Africa about the purpose of the Initiative and how it has improved the lives of some of the children there. Some of the children have even gotten scholarships to study. Most of their scholarships came from social media, with some users asking how they can contribute to the project.

This short documentary have gone viral over a space of a few days, with Popular online platforms like Bellanaija writing a short piece on the documentary
Here is the link to the documentary by BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47499618

15 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Imortal001: 9:28am On Mar 22, 2019
Plaining to have a chess club in the nearest future. chess is more than a game. if you know, you know.

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by joywendy(f): 9:31am On Mar 22, 2019
Here is the YouTube link for those who couldn't watch it with the link above. The short Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymoqvrHyBs

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by joywendy(f): 9:37am On Mar 22, 2019
Despite the few scholarships offered to some of the children, it's a huge goal to ensure that all of the children under the Initiative have access to education. Most of them live in abject poverty and can't afford basic stationary items to even stay in school. With this in mind, a fundraiser have been created to help the initiative better the lives of these kids.

If you would like to support the initiative

Here is the link to donate:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-support-chess-in-the-slums-in-nigeria

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by joywendy(f): 9:43am On Mar 22, 2019
more pictures

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by dejavubobo1(m): 10:29am On Mar 22, 2019
cc. lalasticlala won't see this o...because its not snake abi

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by joywendy(f): 10:35am On Mar 22, 2019
dejavubobo1:
cc. lalasticlala won't see this o...because its not snake abi

lol. I no dey o cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by chessguru(m): 7:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
cc. lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Earthquake2: 9:21pm On Mar 22, 2019
Nigerian children have low iq to understand chess

That's the truth

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Teewhy2: 9:21pm On Mar 22, 2019
The side view of the guy in the second pictures looks more like 9ice . Great initiative that will make the children calculative .

Are you planning to do a roof parapet?
Check out details of our polystyrene parapet installation, it is light, fast to install and durable.
Prefect for land which doesn't much loads and renovation works.
Click below
https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/1

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by ekaette1621: 9:21pm On Mar 22, 2019
Thumbs up grin
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by tstx(m): 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
No time to say no time

See my signature
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
Nice one.
Knowledge can meet you at different points.
However, I am yet to understand this game, truly.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by peacettw: 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
Awwww.
Recently watched the movie "Queen of Katwe" last week. A movie produced by Disney in 2016 on slum kids from Uganda who learnt how to play chess..... starring Lupita Nyongo.
Loved the movie. It was truly inspirational.
I guess this idea came from the movie.
Well done

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nepapole(m): 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2019
I dont know y i jus cant understand this game. But i am not dull na.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Olawalesmarter(m): 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2019
Good development
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by criuze(m): 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2019
We chess masters
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nurez305(m): 9:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth
just like you have low IQ on how to comment on nairaland

65 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by PromiseJonah(m): 9:26pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:

Yeah bro,
But I think you're lazy

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by AntiWailer: 9:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
Queen of Katwa

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by lexy2014: 9:28pm On Mar 22, 2019
Earthquake2:

That's the truth
Pls expantiate. How did u come to this conclusion?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by PrinzCarter(m): 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
Teewhy2:
The side view of the guy in the second pictures looks more like 9ice . Great initiative that will make the children calculative .
u dey see road after come collect 2 cold star n bread grin
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nickisindigo(m): 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
Who can teach me how to play poker
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by peacettw: 9:29pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:

I have the same problem. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't pick up an interest

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by sisitito01(f): 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
Oshey! Queen of Katwe things.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nepapole(m): 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
PromiseJonah:

Yeah bro,
But I think you're lazy
sad
Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:
go to play store search for "chess offline " you go learn am within 2days

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by peacettw: 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2019
sisitito01:
Oshey! Queen of Katwe things.

Yassss

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
nepapole:

The game is over hyped, booring as fuvck when you are too good & ur opponent is an amateur, And extremely time consuming if your opponent is good.

In summary, god of war is MUCH MORE ENTERTAINING, as you get to enjoy the feeling of slaying old gods, giants & mythical creatures who get in ur way

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Children in Slums are Learning to Play Chess & It’s Inspiring by nepapole(m): 9:31pm On Mar 22, 2019
peacettw:

I have the same problem. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't pick up an interest
Yh....i think "interest" is the issue. I like scrabble instead and play it good enuf.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa To Quit Super Eagles Over Captaincy Row / Jose Peseiro Quits As Head Coach Of The Super Eagles - Pulse Sports / Nigeria Vs. Libya: Super Eagles’ Possible Starting 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.