Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,260 members, 7,934,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 06:20 PM

What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? (22010 Views)

Remi Tinubu Is Actually The President Of This Country And Not Bola Ahmed (PHOTO) / Oshiomhole Accident In Benin: The Damaged SUV Conveying Ex Governor / In Benin, The Governor Kneels To Greet The King, But Not So In Other Kingdoms.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MetaPhysical: 3:44pm On Mar 31, 2019
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

Basically you have no evidence other than your ego to tell us the heads of dead Oba of Benin were not buried in Ife. I even told you the location in Ife. Perhaps you can go there and dig.
Hopefully, you do realise that you arrange being logical in any manner and the proof you boast of at yet to be shown, rather you are asking me to go and dig up in your backyard. That is your proof ? � funny Yoruba logics !
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 3:46pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
You needs a crashcourse in logics. I don't need to discuss any influence at all because the fact that what you refer to as yorubaland today being part of precolonial Benin empire was recorded by eye witnesses ! How dumb are you to not understand this very simple English !

Everyone is dumd except you and you still cant tell us why all those dead Obas were buried in Ife.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 3:49pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
Hopefully, you do realise that you arrange being logical in any manner and the proof you boast of at yet to be shown, rather you are asking me to go and dig up in your backyard. That is your proof ? � funny Yoruba logics !

We are talking history not logics. If we were to follow logic s then dead Obas of Benin shouldn't have been buried in Ife but they were.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by PVision2020(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
You needs a crashcourse in logics. I don't need to discuss any influence at all because the fact that what you refer to as yorubaland today being part of precolonial Benin empire was recorded by eye witnesses ! How dumb are you to not understand this very simple English !
Please, who are the eye witnesses?
How can an Empire (Oyo and several other Yoruba empires) be under another empire (Benin).
All of Yorubas intra/inter wars were documented prior to the colonial era with no mention of any bini lordship. Where were binis when we fought dahomey, Fulani and several other wars?

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Binikingdowm: 3:53pm On Mar 31, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Well, I wish I could get the authentic history concerning this. But with what you said now. I think the Yorubas are correct.
okay.

Oduduwa fell from the sky, oh sorry he trekked from meccai to ile Ife.

The Benin stupidly went to Yoruba to ask for a King.

Does this make sense to you people?

Stupid people
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 3:56pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:
okay.

Stupid people

If it doesn't make sense to you now, that doesn't mean it didn't not make sense to them back then.

The Igbo claimed that the founder of Nri kingdom also descended from the sky, your lost prince might have trekked to Nri Kingdom

But Oduduwa did not come from Benin and that's a fact

https://www.jstor.org/stable/179645?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

The language of the royal court was also Yoruba until the practice was stopped, another historical fact.
I can't stop laughing as you Yoruba guys just keep unloading your Yoruba tales about Benin Kingdom, it amazes me that you aren't smart enough to question why your entire so called history revolves around claiming things which belong to Benin empire without you ever producing any proof. The art which the British took away from Oba palace, you have gone to claim that. The Oba himself, you have gone to claim him, the language of the court, you have gone to claim that, the entire subgroup of Edos who live in the capital of Benin empire, you have gone to claim them. Actually, any Edo achievement you jump and claim it as Yoruba. All this because you have no history � you guys descend from freed slaves returned but the brothers, Portuguese and spanish. You want to create your fake history by claiming the history of the Edo, but unfortunately for you, there are too much eyewitness written documents about precolonial Benin. So just keep spitting against the wind....
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Mar 31, 2019
PVision2020:

Please, who are the eye witnesses?
How can an Empire (Oyo and several other Yoruba empires) be under another empire (Benin).
All of Yorubas intra/inter wars were documented prior to the colonial era with no mention of any bini lordship. Where were binis when we fought dahomey, Fulani and several other wars?

You so easily assume that Oyo was ever an empire. There is no eye witness account of that. The only eyewitness accounts of oyo describe a small and failing kingdom being invaded by fula. The eye witnessed at the people who visited the region and had the fact of reading and writing and wrote down what they saw. The fact that I need to explain this to you shows how dumb you are. It is like talking to a 5 year old kid.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 4:01pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:
okay.

Stupid people

They said the founder of Nri Kingdom descended from the Sky, does that mean the founder of Nri Kingdom might have been a Benin prince too ?

Even Your Ogiso forefathers claimed they descended from the sky, so why must it be only wrong for only Yoruba to tell their story that way too?

You can start claiming Nri Kingdom since their founder also descended from the sky and leave Yoruba alone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Nri

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 4:02pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
You so easily assume that Oyo was ever an empire. There is no eye witness account of that. The only eyewitness accounts of oyo describe a small and failing kingdom being invaded by fula. The eye witnessed at the people who visited the region and had the fact of reading and writing and wrote down what they saw. The fact that I need to explain this to you shows how dumb you are. It is like talking to a 5 year old kid.

There were many Eye witness of Oyo Empire if you research for it, but you already concluded because you don't know lol, the Dahomey Kingdom were example of Eye Witness and it was written clearly in Dahomey Kingdom History and How Oyo Empire Conquered them
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 31, 2019
I am tired of having the same stupid conversation with Yoruba supremacists for several years now. You guys don't use your brains when you talk. It is as if you disconnect your brains before talking about history. I'm done talking to adults who reason like little children.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
I can't stop laughing as you Yoruba guys just keep unloading your Yoruba tales about Benin Kingdom, it amazes me that you aren't smart enough to question why your entire so called history revolves around claiming things which belong to Benin empire without you ever producing any proof. The art which the British took away from Oba palace, you have gone to claim that. The Oba himself, you have gone to claim him, the language of the court, you have gone to claim that, the entire subgroup of Edos who live in the capital of Benin empire, you have gone to claim them. Actually, any Edo achievement you jump and claim it as Yoruba. All this because you have no history � you guys descend from freed slaves returned but the brothers, Portuguese and spanish. You want to create your fake history by claiming the history of the Edo, but unfortunately for you, there are too much eyewitness written documents about precolonial Benin. So just keep spitting against the wind....

This practice was stopped as recently as 1935. Yoruba in Benin royal court, why? Because the king was Yoruba.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

There are many Eye witness of Oyo Empire if you research for it, but you already concluded because you don't know lol
rather than saying this, why not provide the eye witnessed ? How dumb are you ? Oyo was nit recorded as being great or old by eye witness, it was rather recorded as being young, weak and being overran by fula.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:06pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
I am tired of having the same stupid conversation with Yoruba supremacists for several years now. You guys don't use your brains when you talk. It is as if you disconnect your brains before talking about history. I'm done talking to adults who reason like little children.

You cannot re write history. You cannot turn back the hands of the clock. Well, it seems like what you are trying to do here.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Binikingdowm: 4:06pm On Mar 31, 2019
LazyGold:

If it doesn't make sense to you now, that doesn't mean it didn't not make sense to them back then.

The Igbo claimed that the founder of Nri kingdom also descended from the sky, your lost prince might have trekked to Nri Kingdom

But Oduduwa did not come from Benin and that's a fact

https://www.jstor.org/stable/179645?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
read about the ogiamen family.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/amp

They have been feeding you lies all this time, oduduwa is from Benin

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:
okay.

Stupid people

Bros why the insult na. But u just confirmed it, that oramiyan the son of oduduwa once ruled Benin kingdom and his heir Eweka dynasty is still ruling Benin kingdom till date.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Binikingdowm: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
they have ego problem

1 Like

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

This practice was stopped as recently as 1935. Yoruba in Benin royal court, why? Because the king was Yoruba.
So you are changing your story again ? You said the practice was done in the 1940's and now you are saying it stopped in 1935 � still no proof ! Just a change of story !!! Wow, dumbness defined.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by pamb: 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
Infact nairaland is not the best place to learn,the whole topic was distorted,the question the OP was asking is not answer.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:
they have ego problem
They have mental problems
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:

The people of dahomey in the present Benin Republic are also lying about the wars between them and the old Oyo Empire abi? You have your job cut out for you.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 4:09pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:

You are the one trying to claim Yoruba with your distorted History.

Oranmiyan was not a son of Oduduwa but a Grandson of Oduduwa and you claimed in your History that Oranmiyan was a son of Oduduwa which prove that your entire part of that History was fake and lies

The founder of Nri kingdom was said to have descended from the sky too, you can start claiming Nri Kingdom and leave Yoruba out of your distorted history since it was not Only Yoruba with founders that descended from the sky
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:10pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
They have mental problems

You have self esteem problems. It also a type of mental disorder.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/guardian.ng/features/ogiso-and-ogiamien-are-aborigine-binis-while-oba-of-benin-is-of-yoruba-descent-high-chief-esotericist-monday-wehere/amp

dude be careful while quoting the ogiamen. The ogiamen are well known imposters greatly supported by the Yoruba in order to delegitimize the Obs of Benin and at the same time bring credit to Yoruba unsubstantiated claims on Benin history.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by PVision2020(m): 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
When a supposed literate start swearing and going personal, know that he/she has lost it. You keep shouting eye witnesses with no link or backup, now you claim Oyo was no kingdom... lol. All fact coming from your cranium.
Now this is what the fact says

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 4:13pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:
they have ego problem

Which ego problem? So we should pick your Halfbake History just because we want to be humble ?

You lied that Oranmiyan was a son of Oduduwa when he was really a Grandson of Oduduwa but you want us to pick those lies and distorted history over our own well articulated history with evidence?
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Mar 31, 2019
Guestlander:

You have self esteem problems. It also a type of mental disorder.
All I say relies on eyewitness accounts and logics. That is being objective. It is not my fault that Benin Kingdom was great. Deal with it and stop being jealous.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:14pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
So you are changing your story again ? You said the practice was done in the 1940's and now you are saying it stopped in 1935 � still no proof ! Just a change of story !!! Wow, dumbness defined.

You have comprehension issues. The practice of speaking Yoruba in the royal court was stopped in 1935, the practice of burying oba of Benin in ife was stopped in 1914 not in the 40s as I said earlier, that was a mistake.
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Guestlander: 4:16pm On Mar 31, 2019
prolog31:
All I say relies on eyewitness accounts and logics. That is being objective. It is not my fault that Benin Kingdom was great. Deal with it and stop being jealous.

I haven't met any Yoruba who said Benin was not great. But history is history, there's no point trying to twist it to fit any narrative.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Mar 31, 2019
Ooni of ife goes to British museum to see Yoruba art, all he sees are two Yoruba artifacts surrounded by a huge bunch of Benin art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZAXb0XVwI
Re: What Is The Relationship Between Benin, The Country And Benin City In Nigeria? by LazyGold(m): 4:18pm On Mar 31, 2019
Binikingdowm:

So i should read a story from a Family in Benin and believe it lol when you claimed in your History that Oranmiyan was a son of Oduduwa when he was really a Grandson of Oduduwa. You liars with fake History

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Buratai, Olonisakin, Ex-Service Chiefs To Forfeit Salaries As Ambassadors / Edirin Okoloko Is A Top Superior Court Judge In United States / Court Rejects pro-Wike Lawmakers' Request To Shut Down Rivers Expenditures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.