Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,222 members, 7,880,815 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:23 AM

Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice - Autos (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice (11709 Views)

Shop For Slighty Damaged/repaired Cars From The US / Just Changed My Engine And Its Overheating / I Want To Buy Faulty Or Damaged Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by kuntash: 2:55pm On Sep 25, 2010
@ Mishoo, where do you buy your Mobil oil? I ask cos I dont trust my neighbours, anything can happen.

I am sure Siena would give a better idea and advice for you, especially whenever he hears, VW & AUDI , lol
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by mishooo(m): 3:08pm On Sep 25, 2010
kuntash:

@ Mishoo, where do you buy your Mobil oil?  I ask cos I dont trust my neighbours, anything can happen.

I am sure Siena would give a better idea and advice for you,  especially whenever he hears, VW & AUDI ,  lol

From Mobil Station and i think they shouldn't sell fake of their own product now!
I buy the #2,600.00 and NOT the #7,500 type(Mobil 1), sorry i didn't read the label on the can.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 3:23pm On Sep 25, 2010
I use Mobil oil too ( in both my Honda i-v tech and Toyota Camry), noticed the change in color after frequent driving in my Camry but service my car 3,000 miles without noticing what u refer to as oil loosing viscosity.

I will pay close attention to the color and viscosity of the oil in my new engine to confirm your assertion
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 25, 2010
Mishoo, in 3 months, the oil will be black, regardless of the grade used. The only way to keep it brown for a longer period, is to use an engine flush, after draining the old oil. You are always left with at least 300 - 500ml of oil after draining. Your engine needs Castrol 5W-30 or similar.

Besides, how do you know the viscosity's low at any point in time?

As per an OBD HEX+CAN interface, I can supply you with an appropriate unit for your car.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by mishooo(m): 3:59pm On Sep 25, 2010
^^^ Is the engine flush another pre-oil ? Please elucidate on it.
Can you recommend Oils with Castrol 5W-30 ? and about the visc testing, i grew to understand that the viscosity can be felt by touching. when i said it was low in Viscosity, it was almost like rubbing water in between your first and index fingers.

Thanks. Can i know how much the OBD HEX+Can Intface will cost me??
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 25, 2010
The engine flush is added to the old oil, and run for about 10 minutes, before draining.

Castrol 5W-30 is the recommended oil for most VAG petrol engines, including the one in your New Beetle.

As per the diagnostic equipment, the thread's here;

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=499345%22
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by mishooo(m): 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2010
Thanks Siena but i actually need the HEX+CAN interface with USB.I already have the diagnostic software installed on my Laptop.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2010
mishooo:

Thanks Siena but i actually need the HEX+CAN interface with USB.I already have the diagnostic software installed on my Laptop.

My apologies, I didn't read your post properly. Take a look here then:

http://www.ross-tech.com/
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 7:44pm On Sep 25, 2010
i use Mobil too and notice it does go black before i undertake another oil change but have not noticed the loss of viscosity as u have said.

I use it for my i-v tech and Camry, yet to have any issue with them. . I have been told over and over again on the fact that VISCO 2000 is better for high mileage cars but i am yet to test it. I prefer Mobil cos my car is a 6 cylinder engine and VISCO 2000 does not have a liter pack to top up my oil since i need 5litres to gauge my car.

I will take note of what you observe and check before my next oil change
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by octar6: 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2010
whether visco 2000 or mobil xhp or tonnimass or even oando,all these are 20w-50 used for petrol engines.they all come in different colours. visco 2000 is  redish in colour, so when used u begin to feel that its goin to take a while b4 the colour goes blackish.some mecahnics even claim that visco 2000  comes with oil treatment because of its red colour,but thats a big lie. mobil products are certainly the best whether for high mileage cars or not.infact 1 of my mechanics said visco 2000 is for taxi drivers because they are non-challant when it comes to changing their engine oil. grin I use mobil xhp for my camry.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 8:08pm On Sep 25, 2010
A FRIEND POSTED THIS TOPIC, PLS GUYS HELP HIM OUT

My fellow nairaland auto experts I will need your candid and productive ideas on this problem.
I have a 96 Camry 'Orobo' the car works fine but since abt 2 months now the engine has developed a strange performance. However, the engine does not give me a good performance with AC on, that is whenever I use AC for say 30mins and turns the engine and is allowed to cool very well "especially when I return from work and allows it till nxt day" at next start the performance becomes very low and even goes off some times and I'll have to raise and allow it to warm for a long time before it picks up. Due to this I have been driving without AC to sustain its performance. Though I have been to my mechanic he's suggesting its the vacuum but not sure and could not put in any productive effort to stop this problem.

Nairaland people what could be the problem and way forward. Please, only positive responses are welcome, Oga Sienna where are thou?
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by nex(m): 9:15pm On Sep 25, 2010
Get a new engine.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 25, 2010
nex:

Get a new engine.
Pls. explain on what grounds.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by nex(m): 9:32pm On Sep 25, 2010
I was referring to the Original Poster on the grounds that he claims his V6 engine is damaged, and I know that majority of Nigerian Mechanics will just waste his time and money before admitting they can't do it.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 25, 2010
Oh! That issue has since been happily settled. Pls. go through the thread from the beginning.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 9:53pm On Sep 25, 2010
@nex,
The engine of the car have since been changed and the car ready to tour the country.

@costee,

Thanks for coming to my aid, i thought the guy was asking me to change the changed engine shocked, AGAIN? .
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by eleven(m): 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2010
Good evening all. Nice thread. Read all comments through and really happy with the knowledge gain so far.

i had a terrible experience last 2 weeks during a heavy down pour on mobolaji bank anthony way with my official kia cerato 2006 model.

The car was heavily flooded with water, water entered the car through the doors and exhaust pipe, not long after i left the flood, my engine check light flashed on my dashboard and the car went off.

Quickly bought oil, topped up the engine and started the car, car started but engine light was still on, (but observed that it goes off when i drive above 40kmph) with a noise later confirmed to be knocking sound.

Problem is kia puts its new engine price at 800k, my mechanic tells me he can get fairly used engine for 220K, personal calls made to some kia distributors puts fairly used engine at between 550-600k. One modern car repair shop visited, diagnosed and gave me a quote for 795k for purchasing and fixing a fairly used engine. Someone told me there is no second hand kia engine in the market, that what my mechanic is referring to is Hyundai engine which he said its compatible with kia cars.

Guys, please i need expert advise. I am confused because i lack basic car maintenance knowledge even though i a times sell them.

The fear of that incident has changed my perception of salon cars, just recently bought a Honda 2002/03 crv from a Nairalander, downloaded the car manual (this time around i am determine to learn), studied the manual and found a phrase there advising that the car should not be serviced unless prompted by the car maintenance light on the dashboard.

This has stopped me from servicing the car though it was bought just 3 days ago. Guys, please what do you advise? So afraid of hearing that horrible crankshaft noise again. if the answer is yes, which engine oil will be the most suitable, car millage is just over 100K.

Lastly, I would like to install diagnostic software on my laptop, so I can scan my cars myself. Which site can a find the software and which hardwares would i need to make the connection through, would it work for honda halla?

Thanks for you advise.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by 9ijaMan: 3:16am On Sep 26, 2010
To the best of my knowledge, KIA and Hyundai car parts are generally compatible, and this includes the engine. I have a friend who had to replace the parts under the hood of his KIA Optima and he was told by his Mechanic to get Hyundai parts. He took the bad KIA parts to a Hyundai parts store and I was shocked as we could not tell the difference between the two. Interestingly we saw a similar part in a KIA parts store but they would not sell the component we wanted alone but together with some other parts not needed by my friend. In a nut shell the same parts from the Hyundai store cost 8 times less than the price we got from the KIA store.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 8:29am On Sep 26, 2010
@eleven,

Reading ur post, i was suprised water could get into your car considering the fact that it was bought new having had the same experience at Ajah where my car was vitually swimming in waters and you can visibly see water moving over the hood through the windshield with no consequence at all.

You also said you QUICKLY BOUGHT OIL?, why and what for?, does it mean your oil level was below point?.

Did your car stall while in the water or was there any strange noise while stillin the flood? and What was ur mechanic analysis of the impact of the water on the engine and how come the knocking sound.

I am asking all these questions to be able to relate the fact that submerging the engine in waters while working could result in an engine knock.

The worst i have had to do after in cases where i had such experience was to change my alternator,which was only once while other cases had been just to maintain a steady thrutling while in the water without the engine stalling and allowing the car to steam well there after before continuing my journey.

Finally, as naija man has said make firther enquiries to be sure the parts are the same and work for each other, shun the official toga and spend far less in replacing ur engine than allow some indians to reap you all in the name of KIA CENTRE.

800K?, ummm,that WILL BUY YOU A CLEAN CAMRY 1999.

WISH YOU GET THE BEST OF SERVICE AND BACK IN THE HOUSE TO TELL US THE GOOD NEWS WITHOUT TEARING UR POCKET APART.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 26, 2010
A point to note:

Nigerian mechanics will tell you to keep the throttle open, to avoid stalling whilst driving through a deep flood. This is completely ignorant. Whilst it's favourable to get out of the water as soon as possible, to avoid the ignition system - ignition coil, spark plugs, HT leads getting wet, (and subsequent stalling of the motor) there are other issues to contend with. At least, the ignition system gets wet, the car stalls, not the end of the world. It will dry out, and eventually start.

The wisest thing to do, if you're caught out in a big flood, is to stop your engine, and fast! The danger of keeping the engine going, and revving it, is sucking water through the air intake. Most cars will have the air intake at the front of the engine, usually behind one of the headlamps, and quite low down. Unlike air, liquid is not compressible. Once water is drawn into the intake manifold, and the engine is still running fast, the pistons will try to compress water the way they do a fuel / air mix. As water will not compress, what happens is the engine will come to a sudden stop. In engineering terms, the engine will Hydraulic lock. Hydraulic loc[/b]k occurs when a pumping action is impeded by fluid, which cannot be compressed. This is how your brakes work - in this case though, there are components that the hydraulic action can move, unlike in an engine.

Once an engine has hydraulic locked, it's the end. The connecting rods will be bent, in extreme case, they'll exit the side of the engine, with the piston. On an engine with a long crankshaft, examples are in-line 6 cylinder engines, (BMW, older Mercedes, older Nissan, Toyota Supra etc) the crank will also be bent. If these engines ever run again, they'll be knocking their brains out, nothing bar the cylinder head will be any good, so it'll mean a new engine.

So, if you're ever caught in a deep flood, [b]switch your engine off as soon as possible!

1 Like

Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by 9ijaMan: 9:34am On Sep 26, 2010
Siena thanks a mil for those wise words. Although I have never been caught in a flood whilst driving, I'll certainly heed you advice if it ever happens to me.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by seal777(m): 11:20am On Sep 26, 2010
Ummm, there is always something to learn from siena.

There is a friends post up there u havent reply to, pls do.

Goes thus:

My fellow nairaland auto experts I will need your candid and productive ideas on this problem.
I have a 96 Camry 'Orobo' the car works fine but since abt 2 months now the engine has developed a strange performance. However, the engine does not give me a good performance with AC on, that is whenever I use AC for say 30mins and turns the engine and is allowed to cool very well "especially when I return from work and allows it till nxt day" at next start the performance becomes very low and even goes off some times and I'll have to raise and allow it to warm for a long time before it picks up. Due to this I have been driving without AC to sustain its performance. Though I have been to my mechanic he's suggesting its the vacuum but not sure and could not put in any productive effort to stop this problem.

Nairaland people what could be the problem and way forward. Please, only positive responses are welcome, Oga Sienna where are thou?
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 26, 2010
^^^ No worries, Seal. I'll go through that post, and see what I can advice.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by igbsam(m): 4:52pm On Sep 26, 2010
Please, can someone tell me the cost of a 2003 EOD Engine seat. Tokunbo.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 26, 2010
Siena's explanation on a car in a flood has now made some sense to me. Sometime on a Sunday afternoon in May I ran my BMW 528i into a massive flood (or was it a deluge?) at Allen Avenue and right there in the middle of the sea the car went out. Thinking (erroneously) that I needed the running to get out of the water I tried the ignition several times but it won't fire. Without a choice I was forced to sit in the car (it was still rain cats and dogs) and knowing full well that the car can't be pushed since it has auto transmission. Some five minutes later I tried the ignition again, and lo and behold, it responded and I swam my way out of the water. I was really proud of the car. Then just ahead in Opebi I ran into another flood and the same scenario repeated itself. Honestly I felt like kissing the car, for I just couldn't believe that I could be let off the jam so easily. Latter still on the same day, I went to Herbert Macaulay and on my return journey there was this flood around the section behind the walls of Yaba Tech, but this time I wasn't going to override my luck, I took a detour away from the flood. There was no adverse effect on the car engine; but the point in all this is that, as Siena has pointed, when in flood switch off, though I wonder whether it's all cars that have the capacity to come out of such a flood unscathed.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 26, 2010
Costee, you're a very lucky guy! The BMW 528i (E39) has a relatively high intake snorkel, so unless you were driving fast enough to get the water that high, you'd probably be okay.

This is also the reason you see Land Rovers, Toyota Surfs, Nissan Patrols etc that are used for Safari / excursion, modified with floods in mind. You'll notice the air intake has been moved above the roof, beside the windscreen. The air filter is then connected to the intake manifold by a flexible plastic pipe, so if the vehicle had to go through a Ford or Flood, there's no chance of the engine ingesting water.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by eleven(m): 11:57pm On Sep 26, 2010
seal777:

@eleven,

Reading your post, i was suprised water could get into your car considering the fact that it was bought new having had the same experience at Ajah where my car was vitually swimming in waters and you can visibly see water moving over the hood through the windshield with no  consequence at all.

You also said you QUICKLY BOUGHT OIL?, why and what for?, does it mean your oil level was below point?.

Did your car stall while in the water or was there any strange noise while stillin the flood? and What was your mechanic analysis of the impact of the water on the engine and how come the knocking sound.

I am asking all these questions to be able to relate the fact that submerging the engine in waters while working could result in an engine knock.

The worst i have had to do after in cases where i had such experience was to change my alternator,which was only once while other cases had been just to maintain a steady thrutling while in the water without the engine stalling and allowing the car to steam well there after before continuing my journey.

ARING your POCKET APART.

Thanks guys. I added the oil becos my first reaction was that the mechanic i gave the car to service 2 days before the incident  gyped me. My driver who ought to be with him during the servicing went on another errant for my wife. i have never used him before then. he was referred by a friend whose car he came to service on the said day.

my mechanic told me kia engines are not always 100% sealed.

No the car didnot stall. infact the engine did no give the faintest sign of any mishap or stress. Was in the flood for  over 30 mins. pally i tire when i see the engine light flash. no sound, nothing infact i was even hailing kia before the engine told me not so fast! grin
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by eleven(m): 12:25am On Sep 27, 2010
Siena:

A point to note:

Nigerian mechanics will tell you to keep the throttle open, to avoid stalling whilst driving through a deep flood. This is completely ignorant. Whilst it's favourable to get out of the water as soon as possible, to avoid the ignition system - ignition coil, spark plugs, HT leads getting wet, (and subsequent stalling of the motor) there are other issues to contend with. At least, the ignition system gets wet, the car stalls, not the end of the world. It will dry out, and eventually start.

The wisest thing to do, if you're caught out in a big flood, is to stop your engine, and fast! The danger of keeping the engine going, and revving it, is sucking water through the air intake. Most cars will have the air intake at the front of the engine, usually behind one of the headlamps, and quite low down. Unlike air, liquid is not compressible. Once water is drawn into the intake manifold, and the engine is still running fast, the pistons will try to compress water the way they do a fuel / air mix. As water will not compress, what happens is the engine will come to a sudden stop. In engineering terms, the engine will Hydraulic lock. Hydraulic loc[/b]k occurs when a pumping action is impeded by fluid, which cannot be compressed. This is how your brakes work - in this case though, there are components that the hydraulic action can move, unlike in an engine.

Once an engine has hydraulic locked, it's the end. The connecting rods will be bent, in extreme case, they'll exit the side of the engine, with the piston. On an engine with a long crankshaft, examples are in-line 6 cylinder engines, (BMW, older Mercedes, older Nissan, Toyota Supra etc) the crank will also be bent. If these engines ever run again, they'll be knocking their brains out, nothing bar the cylinder head will be any good, so it'll mean a new engine.

So, if you're ever caught in a deep flood, [b]switch your engine off as soon as possible!

Thank you very much for this piece of highly valuable advise. Wish i saw this earlier. hope this prevents someone else from making same mistake. Thank you Siena.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by goodneuws: 2:21am On Sep 27, 2010
hello Senna, loving life?
I have a Peugeot 406 coupe 2003,2.3l which I intend to send to Nigeria shortly. I have only just stumbled on the RHD to LHD conversion thread and discovered that you are the authority on the subject matter. would you be kind enough to give me shout for a quote to see if I can afford to do the conversion here before shipping or if it is even worth the hassle.
thanks.07515021677
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 27, 2010
@ Goodneuws: Life's good, thanks!

Unfortunately, the Peugeot 406 is not one I'd convert, as the body shell is non-modular. This means to convert it to LHD will require a lot of cutting, welding and fabrication. It would not be a factory-look, which is what I always strive to achieve. To retain a factory-look, the whole front bulkhead (firewall) will need to be cut out, and a LHD one welded into place. This will involve stripping out not just the engine, transmission and RHD rack, but the complete front end - carpet and windscreen included.

The front bulkhead isn't expensive used, but the shipping from France will be a killer. Not really worth the hassle, in my opinion.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by goodneuws: 9:25am On Sep 27, 2010
Thanks Siena. I sure feel the wiser now. I was worried about what sort of result I'd get in Nigeria.
Siena, how viable, reasonable would it be to source a body from france and put my engine in it. I have Less than 50,000 miles on my engine and I have maintained the car properly since I bought it. On the oher hand, if it may pleases you, with your guidiance, I can alway pop over to france to pick up the bulk head and the lot for the conversion.
If you are wondering why I am so inclined, good; because it brings me to my next question. How about converting a Mitsubishi Canter truck, 1999. Would you be interested to give me a quote or do you suppose it will better done in nigeria?
My intention is to kill two with one shippi wise. I was hoping to send the 406 coupe with the truck, convert it, sell it and use the fund to settle more of the debt incured in financing the truck and shipping it. Just to cover my spread, back instead of relying on someone to pay me for the truck.
Now you see where I am.
I suppose you wonder why not sell the car off here then. The problem with that is that the car has been greately devalued because of how much it will cost tost to fix the paint work. My ex-wife did a Van Gogh on the body with Her keys.
Thanks Siena for your kind assistance in this matter.
You could me a shout or private message. I don't suppose many members would be interested in my story.
Re: Is My Engine Damaged, Pls Advice by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 27, 2010
Goodneuws, you could well source a Peugeot 406 Coupe with a blown engine / dead transmission from France, and I could install your low-mileage engine and tranny into it. If you found just a shell, with no suspension, doors etc, it would be a bit cheaper, but more expensive to bring down to Britain. Still, it's possible.

I could convert a Mitsubishi Canter, Mitsubishi L200 and most forward-control cab commercial vehicles. For the Canter, you're looking at £2,000 parts and labour inclusive.

As per the vandalised bodywork of your 406 Coupe, ouch!  undecided Still, I've heard worse. A friend of mine that split up with his ex, paid a huge price. The ex, who has a child for him, came to his apartment in South London one night, and used a pick-axe all over his 2008 BMW 535D. Neighbours heard the racket, but were scared to intervene (I wouldn't either)  lipsrsealed

I can blow the paint in on your Coupe, or do a full-on respray for a good price. I take it your car's metallic?

PS: Sorry Seal, for derailing, still, it's keeping your thread alive and moving. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 seat rows American Specs Benz Jeep ML320 1999 model For Sale @N 1,050,000 / The Man Gazzuz / 2008 Tokunbo Nissan Altima @ 1.4m sold! sold!! sold!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.