Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,837 members, 7,924,689 topics. Date: Sunday, 18 August 2024 at 07:23 PM

Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not (386 Views)

How People Are Containing The Spread Of Coronavirus Around The World (Photos) / Drugs From China Containing Human Parts - South Korean Ministry Raises Alarm / 3m Bottles Of Codeine-containing Syrup Consumed Daily In Kano, Jigwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by Dentalgist: 6:40pm On Apr 08, 2019

What is Mouthwash?

Generally speaking, mouthwash is any form of liquid, that can be gargled within the mouth to exert some local effects. The local effects might be to mask mouth odour, as an antibacterial agent, as an anti-plaque agent etc. According to the American Dental Association, Mouthwash can either be Therapeutic or Cosmetic. Cosmetic Mouthwashes are used usually to mask bad breath without chemical or biological application beyond their temporary benefit. Therapeutic mouthwashes contain ingredients that are used as antibacterial agents, antiplaque agents etc.

A mouthwash generally consists of water, ethanol, a humectant, a surfactant, flavour, colour and an active agent. The ethanol adds bite and freshness, and generally enhances flavour impact. The humectant improves the mouth feel of the product during use by adding “body”.The surfactant aids solubilisation of the flavour oil, provides some foaming action and assists in the removal of oral debris.

The Controversy

It is a known fact that many known mouthwashes contain alcohol(ethanol). The concentration of alcohol can be as high as 26%. Some experts have expressed reservation about this bearing in mind that alcohol is a risk factor for oral cancer. Their argument is that the metabolite of alcohol, acetaldehyde is mutagenic and animal studies have shown that it is carcinogenic. Furthermore, alcohol is claimed to have burning sensation on the mouth, causes dryness of the mouth etc.

Experts in support of the use of alcohol-containing mouthwashes feel that the dose of mouthwash and the quantity of alcohol(ethanol) used are not enough to predispose the user(s) to oral cancer.

In conclusion, I would like to quote Werner Et al, in their published article in the British Dental Journal: ” The comparative studies between alcohol containing and alcohol-free mouthwashes have for the most part shown that the alcohol content adds little in the way of efficacy to the product. Besides this, alcohol-containing mouthwashes may be also avoided on the basis of cultural preferences. Therefore, as the benefit of alcohol in a mouthwash is negligible and it may carry a risk of oral cancer which is difficult to quantify, is there any value in members of the dental team prescribing/recommending alcohol containing mouthwashes to their patients?

In the light of the above, next time you visit your dentist and he/she recommends a mouthwash, you may want to request for an alcohol-free mouthwash. It is better to be on a safer side, more so, an alcohol- containing mouthwash does not offer any comparative advantage.

The following are the brands of mouthwash without alcohol:
Listerine Zero, Oral-B Sensitive Mint Mouthrinse, Colgate Peroxyl Mouth Sore Rinse.

https://dentalgist.ng/alcohol-containing-mouthwashes-to-use-or-not

Cc:
lalasticlala
dominique[center][/center]

1 Share

Re: Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by OMNIVIRUS(m): 6:49pm On Apr 08, 2019
Good writeup Op

1 Like

Re: Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by Dentalgist: 6:54pm On Apr 08, 2019
OMNIVIRUS:
Good writeup Op
Thanks
Re: Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by Davoneskay(m): 2:42pm On Jun 09, 2019
Seen! Distinctive writer!
Re: Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by MapleSettlers: 6:13am On Jun 10, 2019
OMNIVIRUS:
Good writeup Op

Please read my blog about stammering as I aim to bring awareness to the African community.

https://theafricanstutterer.home.blog/ and my Podcast (the African stutterer ) link

https://anchor.fm/tas0/episodes/Introduction--Hello--I-stutter-e48a3k.

Thank you.
Re: Alcohol-containing Mouthwashes: To Use Or Not by MapleSettlers: 5:23am On Jul 03, 2019
Please read my blog about stammering as I aim to bring awareness to the African community.

https://theafricanstutterer.home.blog/ and my Podcast (the African stutterer ) link

https://anchor.fm/tas0/episodes/Introduction--Hello--I-stutter-e48a3k.

Thank you. [/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Buy 100% Natural Carrot Oil For Radiant, Glowing And Younger Look / Don’t Expect To Lose Weight When You Build Fat Burning Muscles; Expect This… / Plastic Surgeon Tansar Mir, MD Outlines Pros And Cons Of Getting Plastic Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.