Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,598 members, 7,934,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 01:33 PM

Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause (2125 Views)

Bukola Saraki Endorses David Mark To Spite APC / I Left PDP 48 Hours To Election To Spite Mimiko–olanusi, Deputy Governor / Revealed: How Arthur Eze Used Tony Nwoye To Spite Andy Ubah…nwoye’s Criminality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by AkinEgba: 12:49am On Sep 14, 2010
Jonathan wil demistify the north �Aide
13 September 2010

AGAJU MADUGBA, Kaduna

Special adviser (special duties) to President Goodluck Jonathan, Senator Isaiah Balat, has described the forthcoming Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential primaries for 2011 poll as a walk over for President Goodluck Jonathan.

"The President is not afraid of any of the other aspirants," Balat said in an interview in Kaduna at the weekend.

He said Jonathan�s expected victory in the general election would demystify what he described as misleading impression that Jonathan may not win without the support of the north.

He said: "We are ready to face anyone in the primaries. We are not scared. Whoever has agenda, let him bring them out and we will put it on the table and move on. It is my belief that Jonathan will carry the day.

"President Jonathan has gone far in his consultations and he will officially declare his intention to offer himself to his party for nomination to contest the presidential election come January 2011.

"We believe that we have enough support for Jonathan to pick the ticket," he said, adding that it was a healthy development for other aspirants to join the race.

"That is why we insisted that Atiku should be given a waiver and the party chairman has done that. The fact that there are governors contesting does not frighten the President.

"We all know the June 12 palaver and the genesis of it as well as the agitations that the people of the south-west made that made it possible for power to shift to that part of the country.

"We also cannot ignore the fact that the south-south region has also contributed a lot to the development and the economy of Nigeria.

"There have also been agitations in that part of the country about marginalization and that has been on.

"That was why the former President, late Umaru Yar�Adua brought in a very wonderful innovation which has never been practiced anywhere in the world, the amnesty programme.

"What we are saying is that when circumstances come, we take it as the will of God. It is not our own doing. If Yar�Adua was alive, he would have been the candidate seeking the second term and nobody would have debated that.

"Except for a candidate that performed woefully, he naturally should get the support of his party. Every party would wish to have its candidate sitting in that office and the PDP has a sitting President and I think they should count themselves lucky that they have somebody who is piloting the affairs of this country; who has brought peace and is consolidating on the peace that has been laid all over the country.

"The south-south as a region has always aligned politically with the far northern part of Nigeria or what you call the core north.

"So, if they supported us to produce the Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) government and produce the National Party of Nigeria (NPN) government and have been with us in PDP, then at the most critical period, you want to dump them?

"Let us not forget that if the south-south had aligned with the Biafran cause, there would not have been Nigeria today, it would have been a separate region. They stood with us and that was where the federal troops went through to cut off Biafra supplies. So, this kind of sacrifice merits reciprocation.

"We are not going to tell anybody not to run. However, if we are not saying that people should not run, they should also not ask Jonathan not to run. Allow him to run and we go for the convention and at the end of the day, we see who would win. The man with a better programme should carry the day and we believe that we are presenting a better candidate who has something to show.

"We pray to have a rancour-free election as long as the candidates are going to conduct themselves in a credible manner and not bring in divisive issues to becloud the elections.

"Even if you have 10,000 governors contesting, what I know is that more than two thirds of the PDP governors are going to support Jonathan.

On the possibility of conducting a free and fair election in 2011, he said: "The law says to Jega, conduct free and fair election. They have passed an Electoral Act for him and everything is embodied in that Act. Does he need to come to Jonathan to do that? Why should a sitting President interfere with that?

"It is because people have a mindset that once you are in office you can use it to trample on people�s right. If the 2011 elections fail, I will blame it on Jega and not on Jonathan.

"We are not underrating anyone, but we are saying that those of us supporting him have a track record of delivering democracy to Nigerians and that the north as a body do not vote together. If you go back to the presidential elections that have taken place before this dispensation.

"During the NPN days, the entire north-east voted GNPP, Plateau voted NPP and Kano voted PRP. People are bluffing with talk because they don�t have the number and they cannot deliver. We are going to have a credible Nigerian as President whether he is from the north or from the south because we want to keep Nigeria together.

"All those talking do not have the number and so they are bluffing because Kaduna, Kano, Plateau will not vote with them. We have told them that they should not do anything that at the end of the day will diminish their myth.

"If you create a situation whereby your myth is broken, you are finished and I know that those talking about the north giving block votes do not have the number.

"You were witnesses to what happened when we had the Northern Political Summit which was as a result of the debate at the time about zoning of the presidency to whichever part of the country.

"The decision of the summit has always been that President Jonathan is entitled to run for the presidency of the country. Constitutionally, he is not barred from running and the circumstances that happened entitle him to run," he noted.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by AkinEgba: 12:53am On Sep 14, 2010
So people should vote for Jonathan because the south south helped to defeat Biafra? This type of campaign will deal a death blow on Jonathan.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Obiagu1(m): 2:05am On Sep 14, 2010
"Let us not forget that if the south-south had aligned with the Biafran cause, there would not have been Nigeria today, it would have been a separate region. They stood with us and that was where the federal troops went through to cut off Biafra supplies. So, this kind of sacrifice merits reciprocation.

. . . and they expect rational Igbos to vote for Jonathan?
Someone has to blow my brains off and still can't get me to vote for GEJ. It'll never happen.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by MetalGong4: 2:12am On Sep 14, 2010
Obiagu1:

Someone has to blow my brains off and still can't get me to vote for GEJ. It'll never happen.

Please tell it to those foolish Igbos planning to sell their votes to Jonathan.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Dede1(m): 2:14am On Sep 14, 2010
Obiagu1:

I am not worried about the clearly identified enemies of the Ndigbo but concerned about political nonentities among the Ndigbo. The disgusting aspect is trying to preach to us to forget about the Nigeria/Baifra war while the enemies invoke it to satisfy their political aims.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 14, 2010
One Nigeria my foot. Igbos' consciousness needs to b awaken badly.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Ibime(m): 2:53am On Sep 14, 2010
The guy making this statement has made a political miscalculation by bringing up civil war. It serves no purpose to the GEJ campaign.

That said, I don't think you will find any Ndigbo leader making a principled stand on this issue. Every single one is a political jobber. The Utopian ideals espoused by Dede1 about some Igbos working against Ndigbo interest simply do not exist. This would indicate that those in favour of a zoning agreement are principled Ndigbo leaders. However a look at their names, likes of which Nnanami and Udenwa are foremost, show that the opposite is the case. These are men who have always sold Ndigbo to the highest bidder. In other words, they are liable to change position based on the size of the pecuniary and career incentives.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Nobody: 2:57am On Sep 14, 2010
For ousting Ogbulafor, GEJ has chosen to play dirty. What was Ogbulafor's crime? He stood resolutely for zoning. GEJ campaign is becoming quite interesting, dirty if u like
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Beaf: 3:18am On Sep 14, 2010
jabbok:

For ousting Ogbulafor, GEJ has chosen to play dirty. What was Ogbulafor's crime? He stood resolutely for zoning. GEJ campaign is becoming quite interesting, dirty if u like

This is funny. grin

@topic
It is rather dumb to bring up a crisis that caused the loss of millions of lives as some far fetched reason to gather votes. People need to be schooled about such rotten behaviour.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by bkbabe97y(m): 3:23am On Sep 14, 2010
MetalGong4:

Hey, Ibo Hitler, I guess u gonna be running back to the Ikemba's camp after this insightful statement. . . . . . . grin
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by naijaking1: 3:35am On Sep 14, 2010
Ibime:

The guy making this statement has made a political miscalculation by bringing up civil war. It serves no purpose to the GEJ campaign.

That said, I don't think you will find any Ndigbo leader making a principled stand on this issue. Every single one is a political jobber. The Utopian ideals espoused by Dede1 about some Igbos working against Ndigbo interest simply do not exist. This would indicate that those in favour of a zoning agreement are principled Ndigbo leaders. However a look at their names, likes of which Nnanami and Udenwa are foremost, show that the opposite is the case. These are men who have always sold Ndigbo to the highest bidder. In other words, they are liable to change position based on the size of the pecuniary and career incentives.

Another miscalculation is having Clark run around town "leading" Jonathan's campaigns. This critiscism is purely out of concern that even if Jonathan eventually wins(which he's likely to do as an African head of state), he will find the environment almost very 'ungovernable'
Like you said earlier, the Hausa/Fulani has always rules by pitting southerners against each other. I don't think Jonathan needs to pit Igbos+Hausa/Fulani against his government this early. He has some left over goodwill, and still represents the best candidate out of the big 3 so far, and there's no need to break his ankle before the real soccer begins.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by chyz(m): 4:37am On Sep 14, 2010
Obviously the "special adviser" is working for IBB undercover.There is no reason for him to bring Biafra up at this moment so its obvious that it was planned. Anyways, I blame goodluck jonathan for having stage fright. He scared to open his dam.n mouth and speak up. Everything you hear from him is by proxy and quotes in newspapers.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Nobody: 5:26am On Sep 14, 2010
Dede1:

I am not worried about the clearly identified enemies of the Ndigbo but concerned about political nonentities among the Ndigbo. The disgusting aspect is trying to preach to us to forget about the Nigeria/Baifra war while the enemies invoke it to satisfy their political aims.

Boohoo. Cry me a river! I hope the scales are falling off your eyes fast enough.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by slap1(m): 6:33am On Sep 14, 2010
What this boils down to is this: Jonathan's people helped kill Biafra, so the favour should be reciprocated by the North(pipe-dream) and the Yoruba(who will readily back the North when time comes). In essence, GEJ gives no damn about Igbo votes. Well, his saving grace is that it's only in the Western world that gaffes like this affects one's political fortune, but he should consider sacking that "special adviser", or giving him a post that requires intervals of grand st upid!t¥!
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by kettykings: 11:59am On Sep 14, 2010
i sincerely hope the new COAS will hear this, so that when the election fails as, is expected he will know whom to defend.

Really if GEJ is going to make any impact in this Election in the east he will have to remove people like Isaiah Balat and Ek Clark , this people have nothing to offer him except weeping up sentiments.

The Ijaws and Niger Delta helped the north to defeat Biafra , which is good military strategy , but what did they get in return , their natural ressources has been used to develop the cities and homes of they people they helped to defeat Biafra.
If Balat and his people love the Niger Deltan let them give them 50% of the oil resource from thier land that is better than giving them the presidency.

Moreover igbos rooting for GEJ , should remember that in politics their is nor permanent friend , or foe or ideology but permanent interest.
The interest to keep igbos as a defeated, disorganised , disoriented and dehumanised people might still be in the blood of some people like Balat and Clark.

Even at that the time to strike is not now, just wait for the tempers and emotions to rise during and after the election then go for the kill.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by CareTaker1(m): 12:45pm On Sep 14, 2010
It is a true live history/story and a bitter past.

Any brave man can scale through such a huddle and forge ahead.
Sometimes husbands and wives fight and disagree, blood brothers/sister fight, wound each other and disagree.
We all make mistakes but we hardly/rarely disown each other.

I can swallow a bullet and still stand, if anyone can be separated from his/her wife/brother/sister/friend etc by someone reminding him/her of a past quarrel/fight/war etc, that definitely cannot be me.

This is like opening an old wound.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by banom(m): 1:49pm On Sep 14, 2010
Sen Isaiah Balat have screwed himself or Goodluck jonathan, I am currently writing a pettition to Goodluck Jonathan campaign to get that Idio*t of a Balaty fired from their campaign team and have him also fired as special adviser (special duties) to Goddluck Jonathan for such a silly tribalistic and war talk, if Goodluck fails to fire him, i will personaly launch a media attack ( using all media ) to attack and destroy Jonathan's presdiential ambition, persuade every igbo man not to vote him, i will use this to do dispropotionate damage to Goodluck if he dares me,

Foolish man.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by birdman(m): 2:19pm On Sep 14, 2010
So, you wont vote for Jonathan because his side didnt support Biafra. BUT, you will vote for IBB even though his side was the mortal enemy of Biafra.

This makes sense smiley

1 Like

Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by banom(m): 2:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
birdman:

So, you wont vote for Jonathan because his side didnt support Biafra. BUT, you will vote for IBB even though his side was the mortal enemy of Biafra.

This makes sense smiley

Sorry who are you asking the qestion ?
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by birdman(m): 3:12pm On Sep 14, 2010
Its not a question, but an observation, and it is not directed at you. Not that it matters, the point remains valid.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by CareTaker1(m): 3:23pm On Sep 14, 2010
banom:

Sen Isaiah Balat have screwed himself or Goodluck jonathan, I am currently writing a pettition to Goodluck Jonathan campaign to get that Idio*t of a Balaty fired from their campaign team and have him also fired as special adviser (special duties) to Goddluck Jonathan for such a silly tribalistic and war talk, if  Goodluck fails to fire him, i will personaly launch a media attack ( using all media ) to attack and destroy Jonathan's presdiential  ambition, persuade every igbo man not to vote him, i will use this to do dispropotionate damage to Goodluck if he dares me,

Foolish man.

This feat can only be accomplished by a heavy weight lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

birdman:

This makes sense  smiley
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by onyengbu1(m): 3:42pm On Sep 14, 2010
The enemy that lives at your backyard is more dangerous than the one up north.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by birdman(m): 3:49pm On Sep 14, 2010
onye_ngbu:

This is a good point, except when the enemy up north is the root of all your other "enemies". Complain all you want, Igbos are flourishing and are safe everywhere, except in the North.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by seunmsg(m): 4:19pm On Sep 14, 2010

Well said bro.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by banom(m): 5:09pm On Sep 14, 2010
Care-Taker:

This feat can only be accomplished by a heavy weight lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

And you think I am not heavy enough to do it ?
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by EzeUche22(m): 5:18pm On Sep 14, 2010
Die enemies of the Ndi Igbo! Die!

Amadioha strike these people!
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by chosen04(f): 5:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
birdman:

This makes sense smiley

Its better to be betrayed by a total stranger than by your close door neighbour . . . . . .
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by saintchux(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2010
MetalGong4:

Jonathan will surely get Igbo vote.

chosen04:

Its better to be betrayed by a total stranger than by your close door neighbour . . . . . .

Igbo's should vote for the best candidate that will give Igbo's a fair deal. And that candidate as of now is not IBB.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by ow11(m): 7:12pm On Sep 14, 2010
It may have been a dumb thing to say given the sensitivities of that war. However, all Igbos still aggrieved by that episode should be aware that Babangida was a member of the Nigerian Army that killed innocent Igbo civilians in that war.

Jonathan's elders may have let the Nigerian Army use their territory as a base (as if civilians can hold back a rampaging Army) BUT Babangida personally fought against Biafra!!!

Jonathan is a better candidate than the other candidates in the race and should NOT allow political jobbers derail his campaign with misguided comments like this. He should dissociate himself from people like Clark who have been known to upset sections of the Nigerian polity with his unguarded comments.

I would NOT like to live in a country without any hope for the better. Babangida's SOLE aim for standing for president is just to prove a point that he can come back and nothing more. He has no plans for the country as evidenced by his choice of running mate. Atiku is another kettle of fish! I hope after Jonathan rules for the next four years, sanity would have hit Nigeria and even better candidates without blemishes like Jonathan can contest.

We will change gradually, Jonathan is a new member of the political elite and I would want to believe has a slightly different outlook towards governance than the old guard (IBB, Atiku and Buhari). If we are to progress as a nation, we must choose leaders that are different and with each slightly different leader, we would eventually get to the point where only credible people declare. . . .
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by chosen04(f): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
saintchux:

Igbo's should vote for the best candidate that will give Igbo's a fair deal. And that candidate as of now is not IBB.

****Word*****

I also have my doubt if J[/b]onthan [b]E[/b]bele [b]G[/b]oodluck [b]A[/b]zikiwe is the person.

By telling Igbos of how [b]his land
was used to fight them as a campaign point as evidenced by this article makes him an unlikely persons by every passing day. . . . if not every passing hour. . .
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by Vampire007(m): 4:46am On Sep 20, 2010
Cause you retards keep making everything about Igbo this and Igbo that. This is why the country will not move forward. Why will you not sit down and look at the character of the people and decide from there. And yet you like to look at the western countries and envy them but when it comes to your own country it has to be about tribe or about hating someone without any solid reasons. Are your brains any smaller than theirs? You should keep silent, do your research and then speak. In that order.
Re: Salt Unto Injury: Northerner Uses Jonathan To Spite Biafran Cause by dayokanu(m): 5:44am On Sep 20, 2010
slap1:

What this boils down to is this: Jonathan's people helped kill Biafra, so the favour should be reciprocated by the North(pipe-dream) and the Yoruba(who will readily back the North when time comes). In essence, GEJ gives no damn about Igbo votes. Well, his saving grace is that it's only in the Western world that gaffes like this affects one's political fortune, but he should consider sacking that "special adviser", or giving him a post that requires intervals of grand st upid!t¥!

History shows that its the Igbos who have willingly supported nd chosen to be boy-boys under the North e.g

Balewa-Azikwe, Shagari-Ekwueme, Tofa-Ugoh, Buhari-Okadigbo etc. I am yet to see a Yoruba man queuing up for VP behind an Hausaman

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anthony Enahoro: Condolence From Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon / Stricly 2 Words Patrick Obahiagbon Would Call Gej / The Exit Of Yoruba Prodigal Sons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.