Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,837 members, 7,872,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

Please Help With My Car's Transmission! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please Help With My Car's Transmission! (807 Views)

Clean Reg Honda Accord 2001 (baby Boy) Manual transmission N370k / Very Clean America Spec Tokunbor 2002 Honda Baby Boy..manual Transmission / Can Someone Please Help Me Prevail On Mr German 007 to tell me where my car is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by kamikazee0(m): 10:43pm On Sep 14, 2010
Hello All,
I noticed sometime last week when trying to back my car into the garage, i eased on the throttle to slow down and get a better view of what's behind, on re-engaging the throttle, i noticed there was no response for a few seconds and then there was a sudden jerk like the gear just engaged (It's an Automatic Transmission) a few days later driving down the road, i had to slow down hard and on re-engaging, the car stalled again briefely then the gear engaged and lurched forward rather violently, over the past few days, i have noticed this happens when i try to reverse or when i brake hard and try to move after.
Please! i could use some help, i'll like to have a hang on the issue before i visit the mechanic.
From my search online, some reports suggest bleeding the transmission fluid (saying there might b too much in the system).

Need your help guys!

Thanks a lot.

P.S: the car is a '00 Volvo S80
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by KunleA2(m): 7:18am On Sep 15, 2010
First,

i suggest that you check the transmission oil level of the car. Then go from there.

Regards
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by kamikazee0(m): 9:28pm On Sep 15, 2010
Thanks for your response.
I checked under the hood this morning and noticed the ATF reservoir cap isn't properly sealing, with ATF leaking around the cap. I got that fixed and now, no more leaks around the cap. but when i checked the transmission (ATF) dipstick and there was lots of fluid apparently all the way UPTO the HOT marker on the dipstick (the car had not been driven) , suddenly i thought it's leaking because its overfilled. Getting home not too long ago i checked the dipstick and now it is below the COLD on the dipstick,

the marking on the dipstick are COLD near the bottom of the stick and HOT higer up, that's correct isn't it? , i wonder why i'm getting these funny readings? help!

I also noticed after making a turn and try to correct the steering to resume driving straight, i hear some funny sound like tiny bubbles flushed through a pipe, what came to mind was transmission!

Please Assist.

Cheers
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by Denn(m): 4:59am On Sep 16, 2010
first, confirm leak UNDER THE CAR. after driving round, park and examine if fluid percolates under. if it does, u might have a seal issue.

you did not mention the car brand name though.

is the MIL lamp on (Check engine light)?

check if there is a burn in the ATF system. you can by removing the dipstick and bringing it close to your nose. it should smell like normal new atf. if it smells otherwise there is a burn.

finally, when was the last time u serviced the AT system? fluid and filter change, this a part motorists tend to ignore. check the oil colour.

lets know
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by seal777(m): 7:50am On Sep 16, 2010
Rule 1. Avoid excessive driving of the car for now till you find a solution, else you damage the transmission system.

@Denn was right on point, very correct indeed.

I had the same problem as urs sometime ago and all i did was, visit a reputable filling station where balancing and alignment are done, discuss with the guys there and have the transmission fluid tested which was confirm as flat(meaning burnt, brown in colour with very harsh smell). I had it drained and refil with 5 new bottles and that was the end,it took just a few miles down the road to notice the difference.

I did mine at the last filling station by the right on ur way going to ojuelegba from lawanson (MRS FILLING STATION).

Wish you the best in ur quest to save ur transmission
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by kamikazee0(m): 11:59pm On Sep 16, 2010
Thanks a lot for the contributions please keep the support up.
The car is a 2000 Volvo S80, 2.9L I6
About the leak under the car, i did notice some but then i presumed it was from the cap that wasn't properly sealed ('cos the ATF was all ove and arond the reservoir housing), checked now, there's no leak.
The colour is Pink and doesn't smell burnt.
I had the car serviced about a month ago, the colour still looks like new, changed the oil, filter etc but nothing was done to the transmission, think i should flush it?
And yes the check engine light is on, it was scanned when i sent it i for servicing, the codes read - timing chain over advanced and radiator fan relay stuff (the relay burnt out in abuja).
As per the timing chain over advanced, The mechanic said the problem was with the oil not circulating properly,The sensor was cleaned and engine serviced and that was it.
Do you think i should send it in to have the ATF drained and replaced?

Thanks.
Re: Please Help With My Car's Transmission! by dantitiki(m): 9:08am On Sep 17, 2010
If you are sure it ain't the transmission fluid that is worned out. Then next thing from your observation should be bleeding the system as you've noticed bubbles in the fluid. This is a sign of air present.

Have a thorough check on it as transmission related issues aren't meant to be taken for granted.

NOTE: this car doesn't use the normal ATF sold around. A close alternative available is the on sold at Toyota Dealerships. I'll get the exact name and get it to you once I get home.

Kind regards.

(1) (Reply)

2008 Toyota Camry Se Jus Out Of The Ports / Mitsubishi Galant 350k Quick Sale / Registered Clean 1999 Toyota Rav4 For Sale - N600k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.