Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,527 members, 7,911,311 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 09:16 AM

2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid (1436 Views)

Code Of Conduct: FG May Drop Some Charges Against Saraki / B-r-e-a-k-i-n-g News: Buhari May Drop Out Of Presidential Race By Himself / 2015: Jonathan May Drop Sambo For Yerima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Beaf: 2:50am On Sep 16, 2010
[size=14pt]2011: Saraki may drop presidential bid[/size]
Thursday, 16 September 2010 01:20 Max Amuchie

There are indications that Kwara State governor, Bukola Saraki, may drop his touted ambition to contest the 2011 presidential election. BusinessDay investigations reveal that the Governors’ Forum, the plank on which the Kwara State governor intends to use as base for his campaign is not behind him.

A source close to one of the Northern governors of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) said Saraki merely assumed that as chairman of the Governors’ Forum in the last few years, once he declared an intention to contest, the governors would stand by him.

The source said what convinced Saraki to think that way was the general complaint by the governors that President Goodluck Jonathan had sidelined them in taking certain critical decisions like when the president nominated ministers and appointed members of the Presidential Advisory Council (PAC) headed by Theophillus Danjuma.

The governors had also complained about the way the party chairman, Okwesilieze Nwodo, whose appointment was influenced by Jonathan, had sought to whittle down the influence of the state chief executives immediately he assumed office as replacement for erstwhile chairman, Vincent Ogbulafor. The Governors’ Forum under Saraki’s watch had initially stood in the way of then Vice President Goodluck Jonathan being made acting president at the time the late President Umaru Yar’Adua was admitted at the King Faisal Hospital and Research Centre, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

When he (Jonathan) was eventually made acting president through motions passed by chambers of the National Assembly, the Governors’ Forum also tried to limit his powers till he gradually stabilised in office.

When the office of vice president became vacant following the death of Yar’Adua and consequently with the swearing in of Jonathan as president, Saraki was among governors who were in the race before the governor of Kaduna State, Namadi Sambo, was picked.

Concerned about his political future since he is in his second and last tenure as governor, Saraki has been nursing the ambition of contesting for the president but his geo-political zone, North Central, which has always played a tangential role in Northern politics was an impediment. The experience of his father, Olusola Saraki, who had vied for the presidency in the botched third Republic, is enough for him to fall back on. [size=14pt]In the heat of the politics of that period, the elder Saraki had to add Abubakar to his name to appear acceptable to the Northern political elite. Even with that he didn’t go far.[/size]

The younger Saraki is perceived by the North as being more Southerner than Northerner but that perception has somehow being diluted by the desperation of the core Northern political elite to stop President Goodluck Jonathan from contesting the 2011 election in view of the PDP zoning arrangement which retains the presidency in the North till 2015.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13561:2011-saraki-may-drop-presidential-bid&catid=85:national&Itemid=340
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Beaf: 2:52am On Sep 16, 2010
So Saraki, the IBB implant might quit? shocked

Concerned about his political future since he is in his second and last tenure as governor, Saraki has been nursing the ambition of contesting for the president but his geo-political zone, North Central, which has always played a tangential role in Northern politics was an impediment. The experience of his father, Olusola Saraki, who had vied for the presidency in the botched third Republic, is enough for him to fall back on. In the heat of the politics of that period, the elder Saraki had to add Abubakar to his name to appear acceptable to the Northern political elite. Even with that he didn’t go far.

Lolz
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by EzeUche22(m): 2:58am On Sep 16, 2010
Of course they do not consider Saraki a true northerner.

Psuedo-Muslims. . .

Hausa will never allow a Muslim Yoruba lead prayers.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Becomrich0: 3:01am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22 who do you think have a better chance at the poll saraki or jonathan. ??/

give reason, and name the state jonathan is expected to win. ?
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by kolayusuf: 3:19am On Sep 16, 2010
@Beaf. I worry about you sometimes, with the hours you keep. BUSINESSDAY posted this story at 1:20AM and exactly 1 1/2 hours later you have posted the story on Nairaland. I really hope you're getting paid to stalk the Internet. At any rate, Dr. Bukola Saraki is firmly in the race for the Presidency.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by naijaking1: 3:30am On Sep 16, 2010
^^^
Takes a thief to catch a thief.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by koruji(m): 3:39am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22:

Psuedo-Muslims. . .
Hausa will never allow a Muslim Yoruba lead prayers.

You are even more bigoted than I thought!
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by sbeezy8: 3:54am On Sep 16, 2010
i dont believe he added abubakar- thats a muslim name which all muslims have regardless of tribe or region.

just because people knew him as olusola and not abubakar, doesnt mean that abubakar wasnt his last. Afterall emir of ilorin was known as Kola growing up and his cousin agboola.

I have a muslim name and im a christian- yet people dont know i have a muslim name.

As for the ethnic politics - its said that some fulani elite dont feel comfortable with Sambo- because he is pure Hausa and not from a hausa-fulani state or stock.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by EzeUche22(m): 3:59am On Sep 16, 2010
koruji:

You are even more bigoted than I thought!

Because I spoke the truth?

Everyone knows that a Hausa man would never go to a mosque that is lead by a Yoruba man or any other group. They rather go to their own mosque lead by an Hausa or Fulani man. Simple as that.

I know this, because my Hausa friends consider Yorubas who are Muslims as not true Muslims.

Saraki is not trusted by any Northerner. Even if he claims he has "Fulani" blood. They see him as a Yoruba which makes him as a threat.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by sbeezy8: 4:04am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22:

Everyone knows that a Hausa man would never go to a mosque that is lead by a Yoruba man or any other group. They rather go to their own mosque lead by an Hausa or Fulani man. Simple as that.

I know this, because my Hausa friends consider Yorubas who are Muslims as not true Muslims.

lol so what they did not bring islam to yorubas- so anyones opinion of yorubas doesnt matter.

afterall MANY whites dont think africans are true christians, i dont see lots of whites attending african churches, jesus is seen as a white, so . . . whats your point.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by EzeUche22(m): 4:13am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

lol so what they did not bring islam to yorubas- so anyones opinion of yorubas doesnt matter.

afterall MANY whites dont think africans are true christians, i dont see lots of whites attending african churches, jesus is seen as a white, so . . . whats your point.

So who brought Islam to the Yorubas? Was it not Fulani imams?

Everyone in West Africa know that the Fulani helped the spread of Islam and are considered the true flagbearers of Islam in our part of the world. Every jihad was led by a Fulani man after Uthman dan Fodio jihad. From Mali, Nigeria, Northern Cameroon, tp the Senegambia region (Fulani homeland). The only people they consider true Muslims besides themselves are the Mandinka and the Tuareg who Uthman dan Fodio studied under.

Whites consider Africans true Christians. Sometimes they see us as more Christian than them. Why do you think African nations are exporting Catholic priest to European nations?

My point is, that Saraki would never be considered a Northerner. They want someone from the Core North who they are comfortable with.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by sbeezy8: 4:22am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22:

So who brought Islam to the Yorubas? Was it not Fulani imams?

Everyone in West Africa know that the Fulani helped the spread of Islam and are considered the true flagbearers of Islam in our part of the world. Every jihad was led by a Fulani man after Uthman dan Fodio jihad. From Mali, Nigeria, Northern Cameroon, tp the Senegambia region (Fulani homeland). The only people they consider true Muslims besides themselves are the Mandinka and the Tuareg who Uthman dan Fodio studied under.

uthman dan fadio is not even known outside fulanis in nigeria- lol
Fulanis outside Nigeria have no political power where ever they are.

Mansa Musa of mali brought islam to yorubas. AND FULANIS dont have a homeland the walk around africa where ever there is food.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by EzeUche22(m): 4:40am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

uthman dan fadio is not even known outside fulanis in nigeria- lol
Fulanis outside Nigeria have no political power where ever they are.

Mansa Musa of mali brought islam to yorubas.

Wrong!

You know nothing about Uthman dan Fodio. His jihad inspired Fulani jihads all around West Africa. From Senegal to Mali. Can't believe you said that. Fulani are known to keep in contact with their brothers across West Africa. No matter what country they are located. What unites them is their language even though many of the Fulani found in Hausaland do not speak Fulfude anymore.

After only a few short years of the Fulani War, dan Fodio found himself in command of the largest state in Africa, the Fulani Empire. His son Muhammed Bello and his brother Abdullahi were carrying out the Jihad and were taking care of the administration. Dan Fodio worked to establish an efficient government, one grounded in Islamic law. After 1811, Usman retired and continued writing about the righteous conduct of the Muslim belief. After his death in 1817 his son, Muhammed Bello, succeeded him as amir al-mu’minin or Sultan of Sokoto and became the ruler of the SOkoto Caliphate which was the biggest state south of the Sahara at that time. Usman’s brother Abdullahi was given the title emir of Gwandu and he was placed in charge of the Western Emirates, Nupe and Ilorin. Thus, all Hausa states, parts of Nupe, Ilorin and Fulani outposts in Bauchi and Adamawa were all ruled by a single politico-religious system. From the time of Usman dan Fodio there were twelve caliphs, until the Birtish conquest at the beginning of the twentieth century. Dan Fodio's uprising inspired a number of later West African jihads, including those of Massina Empire founder Seku Amadu, Toucouleur Empire founder El Hadj Umar Tall (who married one of dan Fodio's granddaughters), Wassoulou Empire founder Samori Ture, and Adamawa Emirate founder Modibo Adama.

http://www.khilafahmovement.org/usmandanfodio.htm

Fulanis have power in Guinea in which they make up a plurality of the people. if you did not know that
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by sbeezy8: 4:58am On Sep 16, 2010
of course i know nothing about usman- afterall he didnt bring islam to yorubas so whats there to learn about him.

theres more people who know about islam though mansa musa, those sokoto jihads that took place were fairly small and irrelevant in the scheme of West african islam. Everyone knows that.

what you just posted is what i said, he is more of a northern nigerian figure not a west african figure. that being said mansa musa the mali and songhai empires took west africa by storm.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by EzeUche22(m): 5:07am On Sep 16, 2010
sbeezy8:

of course i know nothing about usman- afterall he didnt bring islam to yorubas so whats there to learn about him.

theres more people who know about islam though mansa musa, those sokoto jihads that took place were fairly small and irrelevant in the scheme of West african islam. Everyone knows that.

what you just posted is what i said, he is more of a northern nigerian figure not a west african figure. that being said mansa musa the mali and songhai empires took west africa by storm.

Neither the Mali Empire, Ghana nor the Songhai Empire ever reached as far as Southern Nigeria. Only the SOnghay Empire reached parts of Northern Nigeria but nothing near Yorubaland. So where are you getting this information? Just as bad as present day Ghanaians saying they are descended from the Ghana Empire even the Mandinka are the true descendants of that empire.

Mansa Musa knew nothing about the Yorubas. lol

I swear many Africans need to learn about the history of the continent.

Uthman dan Fodio cannot be downplayed in the history of Islam in West Africa. His jihad inspired many more Fulani conquest. Even though the Fulani are minorities in all the countries they inhabit, they still wield a lot of power.

Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by sbeezy8: 5:15am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22:

Neither the Mali Empire, Ghana nor the Songhai Empire ever reached as far as Southern Nigeria. Only the SOnghay Empire reached parts of Northern Nigeria but nothing near Yorubaland. So where are you getting this information? Just as bad as present day Ghanaians saying they are descended from the Ghana Empire even the Mandinka are the true descendants of that empire.

Mansa Musa knew nothing about some Yorubas. lol

you are a clown indeed you do know that yorubas are from nigeria to ghana- and that having contact with islam doesnt mean they were under musa territory- your map shows territory. Mansa Musa traveled from africa to south europe to the middle east.

afterall we are muslim but no arabs conquered us.
common sense. bro religion is traded just like goods
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by olafolarin(m): 5:37am On Sep 16, 2010
EzeUche22:

Psuedo-Muslims. . .

Hausa will never allow a Muslim Yoruba lead
prayers.

Are you really serious or you are just being silly?

You need to attend Jumat/Eid prayers everywhere in Lagos, I mean from Idumota to Mile 2,  Idi-araba to Ojo,Mile 12 to Alapere etc,
You'll see Hausas praying side by side with yorubas with a Yoruba Imam leading the prayer.
Your senselessness has no limit and displaying it on NL is the height of absurdity.

Go get a life
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by koruji(m): 5:39am On Sep 16, 2010
Because you actually believe what your equally bigot Hausa friends tell you. Your first phrase was a direct address to Yoruba muslims. Your follow-up was to provide you cover. Nobody is fooled by such hoodwinkery. You probably have no Hausa or Yoruba friends either - simply ways to give cover to your bigot mind.

EzeUche22:

Saraki is not trusted by any Northerner. Even if he claims he has "Fulani" blood. They see him as a Yoruba which makes him as a threat.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by chyz(m): 5:44am On Sep 16, 2010
Good. Saraki never stood a chance in the first place.Let him go sit down and chop gbenga soup and eba. grin
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by KnowAll(m): 8:29am On Sep 16, 2010
[size=14pt]If Saraki does not have at least 10 Governros on his side then he should bow out gracefully and fight another day. 2015 is around the corner and it is open for all asundry, the Igbos who have being dreaming and salivating over the Presidency from time memorial would like to have a crack at it, the Northerners would put more effort at getting the Presidency back after Jonathan's stint.

Jonathan renegading on his promise that he would not run for a 2nd term, but now decided to have a 2nd term because constitutionally he is entitled to it. If Jonathan does not run Sambo would definately throw his hat in the ring, Ribadu would be in the mix ready to roar into action, 2015 would be an exciting time in Nigeria Politics.[/size]
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Beaf: 2:25pm On Sep 16, 2010
Bukola Saraki is in danger of short circuiting his political career with his ill conceived shenanigans. Already, he is having to hurriedly resign as head of the Governors Forum, because there is an open movement to topple him.

@kola_yusuf
Poor you. cry
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Becomrich0: 2:42pm On Sep 16, 2010
beaf , keep quiet, I would win against Jonathan because ethnics factor. Ethnicity plays the biggest role in nigeria politics. It is the first thing in the mind of nigerian. people are more comfortable with thier ethnics group. Jonathan have not been very calculative ethnics wise. Like the appointment of military chief. I would never do that, Never. If Obama have pick a black as vice president, do you think, he would win. NO. so he pick a white man. so obama was smart. In picking the Judge of supreme , do you know who he pick. He would love to pick a black person. critical thinking is important in politics.
I know ethnicity favour me. so I am telling you.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by olafolarin(m): 3:41pm On Sep 16, 2010
Becomrich0:

beaf , keep quiet, I would win against Jonathan because ethnics factor. Ethnicity plays the biggest role in nigeria politics. It is the first thing in the mind of nigerian. people are more comfortable with thier ethnics group. Jonathan have not been very calculative ethnics wise. Like the appointment of military chief. I would never do that, Never. If Obama have pick a black as vice president, do you think, he would win. NO. so he pick a white man. so obama was smart. In picking the Judge of supreme , do you know who he pick. He would love to pick a black person. critical thinking is important in politics.
I know ethnicity favour me. so I am telling you.

Really?

The fact is that GEJ is the man to beat right now.The Presidency is his to loose.
IBB's camp is already in tatters to the surprise of people like Alex Akinyele who was surprised at the
absence of IBB beneficiaries.
GEJ will win the primaries and the general election.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Becomrich0: 6:04pm On Sep 16, 2010
you, why do you keep on talking about jonathan and ibb. That is why most governors of the pdp are scared, they feel they may loss. Because look both IBB and jonathan come from small ethnics group. While the other parties are presenting large ethnics  group people. Obasanjo kick out his deputy because Atiku was from a small ethnic group and if he face Buhari from a large one. pdp would loss. They replace him with umar yar adua from Katsina state to remain in power.

That why I said I would beat Jonathan, because I am from a large ethnics group. Even look if on the poll there are only two names.

a.  Adesegun
b. Jonathan Ebele Goodluck

I can sit down in canada without even going out there to look for vote and the united nation can go and count it and I would win against  Jonathan in Yorubaland. people in nigeria see thier leader as representative of thier ethnics group. that why? I am even telling you. Even in Obasanjo egbaland , I would win. I know how nigeria politics works.

It is not like the USA. that why it is important to give the north one seat at the United nation. It reduce wait time.  And look it makes it more easy for people from small ethnics to win in a democratic government. The large would no more care. about power. like the case of Ghana.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Beaf: 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2010
^
This dude is so funny, like his brain is up his arse. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by oderemo(m): 6:57pm On Sep 16, 2010
I can sit down in canada without even going out there to look for vote and the united nation can go and count it and I would win against Jonathan in Yorubaland. people in nigeria see thier leader as representative of thier ethnics group. that why? I am even telling you. Even in Obasanjo egbaland , I would win. I know how nigeria politics works.
not your fault BECOMESTUPID.nigeria has become waterfoutain where morons just take a swipe at.
dont worry it is well.
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Becomrich0: 7:27pm On Sep 16, 2010
that it the last contribution, I make on all the topic on nairaland. expect this one point you to .
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by Beaf: 7:30pm On Sep 16, 2010
Becomrich0:

that it the last contribution, I make on all the topic on nairaland. expect this one point you to .

[size=14pt]To God be the Glory! Amen!![/size]
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by oderemo(m): 7:37pm On Sep 16, 2010
was that my fault?
damn. grin grin
Re: 2011: Saraki May Drop Presidential Bid by donphilopus: 1:10am On Dec 01, 2013
LMAO

(1) (Reply)

Changing Dynamics Of South West Politics / Pres. Obama's Car Gets Stuck In Ireland - Very Embarrassing Video - Dont Watch / 1993 Presidential Debate Between Late Bashorun Mko Abiola And Alhaji Bashir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.