Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,090 members, 7,880,411 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:47 PM

Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics (65651 Views)

Atiku Heads For London In Last-Ditch Effort To Woo Wike / Yakubu Gowon And His Wife, Victoria, In London In June 1973 (Throwback Photo) / The Nigeria Police: 1947 Vs 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by johnie: 5:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
Mbediogu:
You people should stop laying on this forum. In what capacity did she do that? She was not educated, not a politician - just the wife of a catechist and market women leader who was conscripted to give the entourage a balanced look.
From being the first woman ever to drive a car (whose car? Even Bishops did not own cars then) I see her being pushed to level of national leader.
This is simply after effects of blues from the love of Fela's music, and I admit he played good music in his lifetime.

You are joking, right?

She was the first female student of the Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School, a Christian missionary school founded in 1908.

She took her Preceptor’s Examination at the School and taught there until May 1919 when she was sponsored by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) to study in England.

She studied domestic sciences, education, French and music at Wincham Hall College.
She returned to Nigeria after completing her studies in 1922 and taught at the Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School from 1923 to 1924.

Her future husband, Reverend Israel Oludotun Ransome-Kuti was an Anglican minister and the school’s principal at the time.

He later became the first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) from 1931 to 1954, the first multi-ethnic and nationalist association in the country.

He was also a human rights activist; and both he and FRK worked to end colonialism in Nigeria.

She was known throughout her career as an educator and activist. She organized literacy classes for women in the 1920s and founded a nursery school in the 1930s.

In 1942, she founded the Abeokuta Ladies’ Club (ALC) for educated women involved in charitable work.

She also started the Social Welfare for Market Women club to help educate market women (the first adult education program for women in Nigeria).

Along with Eniola Soyinka (her sister-in-law and the mother of Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka), she merged the ALC and the market women’s club to form the Egba or Abeokuta Women’s Union, which had a membership of over 20,000 women.

The core objective of the organisation was fighting against the arbitrary exercise of colonial power by the British-supported king of Egbaland, the imposition of taxes on women without granting them the right to vote and the attempt by the British to control markets run by women. Through this project, she also supported Nigeria’s independence movement.

She also oversaw the successful abolition of separate tax rates for women.

In 1953, the Egba Women’s Union became the Federation of Nigerian Women Societies, which subsequently formed an alliance with the Women’s International Democratic Federation and FRK was made World Vice-President in the same year.

She also received the national honor of membership in the Order of Nigeria in 1965.

The University of Ibadan bestowed upon her the honorary doctorate of laws in 1968.

In 1947, the Nigerian Union of Students led by her husband became the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC), the party of the first Nigerian President Nnamdi Azikiwe. She became a key member of the NCNC as a result of her close association with its roots and led the women’s wing of the party.

3 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Emary(f): 6:22pm On Apr 21, 2019
johnie:

The men in the delegation were Nnamdi Azikiwe, Prince Adeleke Adedoyin, Dr Abu Bakar Ibiyinka Olorun-Nimbe, Malam Bukar Dipcharima, Chief Nyong Essien and P M Kale.

Which one is your grandfather?

Thanks. I've found it online already.
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by 9gerian: 6:26pm On Apr 21, 2019
We’ll summarized!

MetaPhysical:

The ethnic differences were known and played on the surface. The colonial masters had a solution for it. They gave each section its independence in order to avoid a political inferno.

In 1957 West had its own destiny to be managed by Yorubas. East had its own destiny to be managed by Ibos and North had its own destiny left in the hands of Hausa/Fulani.

January 1966 is a milestone! It destroyed regional independence.
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Mbediogu(m): 7:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
johnie:

You are joking, right?

She was the first female student of the Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School, a Christian missionary school founded in 1908.

She took her Preceptor’s Examination at the School and taught there until May 1919 when she was sponsored by the Church Missionary Society (CMS) to study in England.

She studied domestic sciences, education, French and music at Wincham Hall College.
She returned to Nigeria after completing her studies in 1922 and taught at the Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School from 1923 to 1924.

Her future husband, Reverend Israel Oludotun Ransome-Kuti was an Anglican minister and the school’s principal at the time.

He later became the first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) from 1931 to 1954, the first multi-ethnic and nationalist association in the country.

He was also a human rights activist; and both he and FRK worked to end colonialism in Nigeria.

She was known throughout her career as an educator and activist. She organized literacy classes for women in the 1920s and founded a nursery school in the 1930s.

In 1942, she founded the Abeokuta Ladies’ Club (ALC) for educated women involved in charitable work.

She also started the Social Welfare for Market Women club to help educate market women (the first adult education program for women in Nigeria).

Along with Eniola Soyinka (her sister-in-law and the mother of Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka), she merged the ALC and the market women’s club to form the Egba or Abeokuta Women’s Union, which had a membership of over 20,000 women.

The core objective of the organisation was fighting against the arbitrary exercise of colonial power by the British-supported king of Egbaland, the imposition of taxes on women without granting them the right to vote and the attempt by the British to control markets run by women. Through this project, she also supported Nigeria’s independence movement.

She also oversaw the successful abolition of separate tax rates for women.

In 1953, the Egba Women’s Union became the Federation of Nigerian Women Societies, which subsequently formed an alliance with the Women’s International Democratic Federation and FRK was made World Vice-President in the same year.

She also received the national honor of membership in the Order of Nigeria in 1965.

The University of Ibadan bestowed upon her the honorary doctorate of laws in 1968.

In 1947, the Nigerian Union of Students led by her husband became the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC), the party of the first Nigerian President Nnamdi Azikiwe. She became a key member of the NCNC as a result of her close association with its roots and led the women’s wing of the party.
nde

Olatunde's version of tales by moonlite! There is no doubt the
Let's not re engineer history please. There is no doubt that the Yorubas especially the Egba and Ijebu stock have had great men and women from time immemorial but inserting and promoting new additions to the point of reality is what I stand against.

This is the latest version of our history.
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by MetaPhysical: 8:25pm On Apr 21, 2019
Mbediogu:

Olatunde's version of tales by moonlite! There is no doubt the
Let's not re engineer history please. There is no doubt that the Yorubas especially the Egba and Ijebu stock have had great men and women from time immemorial but inserting and promoting new additions to the point of reality is what I stand against.

This is the latest version of our history.

I like guys that know their stuffs and are passionate about it and the facts sorrounding it. Johnie knows his stuff, I salute him!

I dont think he is rewriting history but I believe some aspects are mixed up with position in the timelines.

Nonetheless, Mrs Kuti was a quiet woman but very resourceful. She was not in public face but she bent public to take notice and yield to her advocacy.

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by seunmsg(m): 8:54pm On Apr 21, 2019
RTSC:

Bull shitt.
Zik was leader of the NCNC that was leading the fight for democracy.
He was an igbo man and didn't need to tag along with more igbos.

He took Yoruba obas along as a show of solidarity and a national outlook.

That is why you think Yoruba led anything. Zik made it so.

Are you aware that NCNC was formed by a Yoruba man? At formation, NCNC was led by a Yoruba man while Azikiwe served as secretary. Get yourself educated before spewing shiit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by capitalzero: 8:59pm On Apr 21, 2019
sarrki:
The year 1947 when Olufunmilayo Kuti (Fela Mama) led an entourage of Yoruba Kings, Royals and Chiefs plus Nnamdi Azikwe to London on a major quest for independence from British colonial rule. Fela was right when he said "She is the only mother of Nigeria.

those who fought for nigeria independent were stupid,myopic,selfish and arrogant. nigeri should be recolonized..
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by searchlight: 9:23pm On Apr 21, 2019
Oloripelebe:

Better than my tribe?... U must be high on something cheap
why don't you own up and mention your tribe?
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by atango(m): 1:13am On Apr 22, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy
UgoManchester:
Wow, That was lovely to behold. very courageour woman. Our Girls of nowadays can only lead you to hotels and night clubs
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Mbediogu(m): 7:32am On Apr 22, 2019
MetaPhysical:

I like guys that know their stuffs and are passionate about it and the facts sorrounding it. Johnie knows his stuff, I salute him!

I dont think he is rewriting history but I believe some aspects are mixed up with position in the timelines.

Nonetheless, Mrs Kuti was a quiet woman but very resourceful. She was not in public face but she bent public to take notice and yield to her advocacy.

The guy appeared to be a relation of the Kutis. He tendered names, dates and institutions seamlessly. He knows his onions.
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Oloripelebe: 8:25am On Apr 22, 2019
searchlight:
why don't you own up and mention your tribe?

Omo Oduduwa ni mi...
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 23, 2019
Elemosho478:

Yoruba were able to repelled Fulani and defeated them when they fought the same battle
Kwara being in North Central is just a geographical location but I understand that you are dumb, Yoruba are already into Islam before the Fulani came
I believe you're brain.less for saying that your tribe defeated the Fulanis. Who is in charge of Ilorin in particular and Kwara in general, today? Why did Islam infiltrate the Yorubaland If you were able to defeat Fulanis? Fulanis like to foist their religion on any tribe they conquered, and Yoruba is no exception.

Note: Yorubas, Fulanis, Hausas, the Middle Belt, the Mid-west and Britain all fought one region - the Eastern Region. Yet, we manufactured our own arms and ammunition such as guns, bomb (ogbunigwe), etc, refined crude oil (the first time crude oil was refined by Africans). Prove me wrong with verifiable evidence if i'm lying. You have been lying up and down and you know quite vividly you're lying. Murtala Mohammed suffered a huge defeat at Abagana, courtesy of the ingenuity of Biafran soldiers. So many feats were recorded by Biafran soldiers and Engineers while Nigeria was a dumping ground of White man's arms and ammunition during the war. Even the Whites praised the ingenuity of Biafran engineers after the war.

Give me the link where Yorubas had been in Islam before Fulanis conquered you people and foisted their religion on you. For your info, most Yorubas were idol worshippers and some were Christians before your conquest by the Fulanis. I believe you don't know your history.

Nigerian leaders know that if Igbos leave Nigeria, they'll be a great country instantly.

Take your lies elsewhere. That's typical of a Yoruba man. It's in your gene to lie and falsify records and history.
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by Elemosho478: 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2019
Mandeyy:
I believe you're brain.less for saying that your tribe defeated the Fulanis. Who is in charge of Ilorin in particular and Kwara in general, today? Why did Islam infiltrate the Yorubaland If you were able to defeat Fulanis? Fulanis like to foist their religion on any tribe they conquered, and Yoruba is no exception.

Note: Yorubas, Fulanis, Hausas, the Middle Belt, the Mid-west and Britain all fought one region - the Eastern Region. Yet, we manufactured our own arms and ammunition such as guns, bomb (ogbunigwe), etc, refined crude oil (the first time crude oil was refined by Africans). Prove me wrong with verifiable evidence if i'm lying. You have been lying up and down and you know quite vividly you're lying. Murtala Mohammed suffered a huge defeat at Abagana, courtesy of the ingenuity of Biafran soldiers. So many feats were recorded by Biafran soldiers and Engineers while Nigeria was a dumping ground of White man's arms and ammunition during the war. Even the Whites praised the ingenuity of Biafran engineers after the war.

Give me the link where Yorubas had been in Islam before Fulanis conquered you people and foisted their religion on you. For your info, most Yorubas were idol worshippers and some were Christians before your conquest by the Fulanis. I believe you don't know your history.

Nigerian leaders know that if Igbos leave Nigeria, they'll be a great country instantly.

Take your lies elsewhere. That's typical of a Yoruba man. It's in your gene to lie and falsify records and history.

We defeated the Fulani during Jihad War and Islam came to Yoruba Land through trading with other Empire and Kingdom not through Fulani, it was even Documented and it was in History but I understand your hatred for Yoruba want us to be conquered so Badly but too bad Yoruba are too great to be conquered, and don't forget Igbo is the Conquered tribe of Nigeria and that's the fact no matter your excuse grin

Nigeria conquered you and you also suffered severe casualties with 3 million dead during the Civil War which prove you are the greatest Coward in History

Benin Enslaved you, Ijaw Enslaved you and even Igala Colonized You cheesy Igbo is just a tribe of slaves

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by BusinessCity: 10:47am On Nov 16, 2020
Sirjamo:
Zik was a great man who believed in strategic alliance and deployment of intellect to pursue a course and achieve a goal. Ojukwu and Kanu would have gone to such a place with sub - machine guns and RPGs.

cheesy
Re: Funmilayo Kuti Led Yoruba Kings & Nnamdi Azikwe To London In 1947-pics by AntiAPC2023(f): 12:54am On Apr 27, 2021
LolaCole1:

She was 47 then
hi you're the one on dp right? can we communicate via mail please

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Buhari's Big Ministerial Appointment Mistake / I Rejected Biafra With Only 5 Igbo States, I Want Rivers, Benue Too– Nnamdi Kanu / Victor Uwajeh: US War College Confirms Buhari Didn’t Submit Any Credentials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.