Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,722 members, 7,889,310 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 08:40 AM

Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again (678 Views)

Jonathan Will Come Back, Rochas Will Join PDP- Apostle Johnson Suleiman / Biafra: Igbos Una Don Come Again. / PDP defectors will come back with empty stomach -Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 16, 2010
Former military president Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida yesterday formally declared his ambition to run for president on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party in next year’s elections, promising to lay the foundation for economic and socio-political transformation of the country if elected. At a grand declaration ceremony in Abuja, attended by thousands of supporters among them three state governors and other top notch politicians, Babangida said his ambition is to be president in 2011 for only one term.

“To the betterment of our country, the advancement of humanity and greater glory of the Almighty, I Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida , hereby formally declare my candidacy,” he said, to rapturous chanting of his initials “IBB.”

He said he is now better prepared to lead Nigeria, having stepped aside from the top job in 1993.

“After almost 18 years of deep and serious reflection on the path Nigeria has taken, and review of our past and present to which we have been exposed, I am, today, better prepared and more determined to fully engage the challenges and opportunities which lie ahead of my country,” Babangida said.

The former president, who listed his achievements while in office, said that he was ably assisted by some of the best minds in the country who literally put their hands on the tough plough and devoted their time to build structures and lay foundations for the greatness of the country.

He promised to tackle the problem of unemployment and under-employment, education, organised crime, epileptic electricity supply and collapsed infrastructure if elected. Other sectors he promised to consolidate on include agriculture, oil and gas, health, housing and transport.

He said that two major objectives of his economic transformation would be massive job creation that would eliminate the current level of unemployment and the provision of affordable houses for Nigerians that would liberate them from unaffordable rents.

Babangida said that two new development banks would be established to finance the planned economic transformation and developmental programmes of his administration, adding that the banks, if established, would charge single digit interest rates.

“I want to dedicate this period of my life to the restoration of good governance in the country,” he said.

“For me, therefore, the rationale for my involvement in politics is to lead a team of dedicated Nigerians who together can provide the courage, the focus as well as the wisdom and sacrifice to engage the necessary changes that will inspire and deliver economic prosperity.”

He added: “The question as to why I seek to return to the challenges of leadership after eight previous years in that position is fair and expected. It should be recalled that even under military rule I had worked in the cause of Nigeria’s development.

“, Given my age, experience and history of involvement in the affairs of our country, my renewed desire to participate in the political process is motivated by very compelling challenges, which confront the country. Involvement in politics for me is about taking difficult decisions to solve problems and resolve critical challenges.”

On the Niger Delta issue, Babangida, who said the amnesty programme and the creation of the Niger Delta Ministry constitute only a fragment of the Ledum Mitee Committee Report, promised to fully implement the report with the support of members of the National Assembly if elected president.

He promised to give special attention to the plight of unemployed youths and women by creating jobs for them through the neglected informal sector and to strengthen the anti-corruption bodies.

The former President, who spelt out nine specific objectives that will constitute the focus of his dream administration’s economic management policy, called on his supports and all Nigerians to conduct themselves in accordance with the law as electoral activities commence.

Born on August 17, 1941 in Minna, Niger State, Babangida ruled the country between August 27, 1985 and August 27, 1993 as the eighth head of state and first military president of Nigeria. He was Chief of Army Staff between January 1984 and August 1985.

The declaration ceremony was attended by Governor Muazu Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Governor Mahmuda Shinkafi (Zamfara) and Governor Murtala Nyako (Adamawa). Also in attendance were former Senate President Ken Nnamani, who chaired the event; former Rivers State governor Peter Odili; seasoned politician Tanko Yakassai; former minister of information Alex Akinyele; former secretary of the PDP board of trustees Abdullahi Adamu; former House of Representatives speaker Ghali Umar Na’abba; former House Leader Abdul Ningi; former House Whip Abubakar Bawa Bwari; and former minister of power Alhaji Bashir Dalhatu.

There were also Senator Mohammad Maccido, Senator Zainab Kure, Senator Nuhu Aliyu, Alhaji Mohammed Abacha, Col. Abdulmumini Aminu and Senator Dahiru Awaisu Kuta.

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2931:ibb-happy-days-will-come-again&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by BigB11(m): 11:43am On Sep 16, 2010
Happy days will return again with full force. These incredible days will return to stay.

IBB will make this happen in less than 6 months as our president.

Let us all open our mind, use our heads and come together to elect a leader than crowns other leaders.

Vote IBB 2011.
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by Solomon227(m): 11:48am On Sep 16, 2010
IBB is going down! going down! going down!

Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by omojand: 11:50am On Sep 16, 2010
I strongly suggest we henceforth, ignore IBB's apologists on this forum - particularly -

ferari90 and Big B1. (If not the same person).

Nigeria of today is different from what IBB left behind in the wake of his destructive rule. Anyone supporting him today are doing so simply for selfish reasons - access to power and/or the promise of contracts. That's vintage IBB - vicious, compromising and conniving rogue.

Even Ken Nnamani is in it only because he's been promised the VP slot - the only way he believes he will ever rule Nigeria.

We will not be fooled. Never, never again.
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by Olaolufred(m): 12:07pm On Sep 16, 2010
I B B devalued Naira at ( 1 USD to 0.892 Naira ) in 1985, to (1 USD to 21 Naira) when leaving in 1993. Due to his "chop make I chop policy".

That is about 1,177% devaluation in 8 years. (The actual is over 2000%)

In 2010, 1 USD is equivalent to 148.50 Naira. This also means that between the exit of evil genius in 1993 and 2010 (17years), Naira is devalued by 353.6%.

When Naira was introduced in 1973, 1 USD = 0.7143

Before your IBB took it over in 1985, 1 USD = 0.7649.

Devaluation of Naira between 1973 and 1984 (12years) = 7%.

Crude oil price per barrel between 1973 and 1984 = 3.10USD and 30 USD per Barrel

Why were the pre- IBB's government able to pen devaluation at 7% in 12 years with 21.31 USD per barrel(average for 12 years)?

When your IBB at same rate Maintained over 1,500% devaluation in 8 years.

I think better days he has to give is to devalue Naira to another 10000%.
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by Olaolufred(m): 1:12pm On Sep 16, 2010
Excerpt from Babangida speech while Inaugurating Political Bureau on 13th January, 1986

The debate can, of course, be carried out by socio-economic groups; professional associations can and should also participate. In short, participation must be completely divorced from partisan leaning. It must not seek to muzzle or even harness individuals’ views in the name of providing leadership at the grassroots. In order to enhance wider participation therefore, I hereby lift the ban on the Medical Association and the National Union of Students.

The Political Bureau shall comprise the following —

S.J. Cookey — Chairman     Oye Oyediran             Mrs. Hilda Adefarasin
E.O. Awa                                 Tunde Adeniran         Mrs. R. Abdullahi
A.D. Yahaya                             S.E. Oyovbaire         Ola Balogun
Haroun Adamu                         Bala Takaya             Edwin Madunagu
Ibrahim HaliIu                             O.E. Uya                 Abdullahi Augie -
Paschal Bafyau                         Sani Zahradeen     Executive Secretary

In the course of my Budget Speech, I identified a number of factors which have contributed to our political instability. I would like the Bureau to regard my Budget Speech integrally with my present address as key notes for their work.

I hereby inaugurate the Political Bureau with the following terms of reference —

(a) Review Nigeria’s political history and identify the basic problems which have led to our failure in the past and suggest ways of resolving and coping with these problems.

(b) Identify a basic philosophy of government which will determine goals and serve as a guide to the activities of governments.

(c) Collect relevant information and data for the Government as well as identify other political problems that may arise from the debate.

(d) Gather, collate and evaluate the contributions of Nigerians to the search for a viable political future and provide guidelines for the attainment of the consensus objective.

(e) Deliberate on other political problems as may be referred to it from time to time.

Finally, I wish to reiterate my promise in the Budget Speech to the effect that this Administration will not stays day longer than it is absolutely necessary[/color][color=#990000]. Your assignment must therefore provide time-sequences for the transition to be achieved (by October 1, 1990).
I would like to end this address by commending you to Allah’s guidance. You are about to embark on a difficult assignment, but I believe there is no greater satisfaction than a call to serve one’s country. It is a call to duty. It is my hope that the new political arrangement would enrich our faith and rekindle our hope in the future of this great country.

Good luck end God bless.

Who was still rulling in 1991? IBB a liar and a deciever.
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by Olaolufred(m): 1:46pm On Sep 16, 2010
An excerpts from IBB speech on June 26th, 1993.

Fellow Nigerians, I address you today with a deep sense of world history and particularly of the history of our great country. In the aftermath of the recently annulled Presidential Election, I feel, as I believe you yourself feel, a profound sense of disappointment at the outcome of our last efforts at laying the foundation of a viable democratic system of government in Nigeria.

I therefore wish, on behalf of myself and members of the National Defence and Security Council and indeed of my entire administration, to feel with my fellow countrymen and women for the cancellation of the election. It was a rather disappointing experience in the course of carrying through the last election of the transition to civil rule programme, ,

In the light of our recent experience and, given the mood of the nation, the National Defence and Security Council has imposed additional conditions as a way of widening and deepening the base of electing the president and sanitizing the electoral process. Accordingly, the candidates for the coming election must:

(1) Not be less than 50 years old.
(2) Have not been convicted of any crime;
(3) Believe, by act of faith and practice, in the corporate existence of Nigerians;
(4) Posses records of personal, corporate and business interests which do not conflict with the national interests;
(5) Have been registered members of either of the two political parties for at least one year to this election.

All those previously banned from participating in the transition process other than those with criminal records, are herebyunbanned. They can all henceforth participate in the electoral process. This is with a view to enriching the quality of candidature for the election and at the same time tap the leadership resources of our country tothe fullest. The decree to this effect will be promulgated.

Fellow Nigerians, I wish to finally acknowledge the tremendous value of your patience and understanding, especially in the face of national provocation.

I urge you to keep faith with the commitment of this administration.

I enjoin you to keep faith with the unity, peace and stability of our country for this is the only country that you and I can callour own. Nowhere in the world, no matter the prompting and inducements of foreign countries, can Nigerians ever be regarded as first class citizens. Nigeria is the only country that we have. We must therefore renew our hope in Nigeria, and faith and confidence in ourselves for continued growth, development and progress.

Thank you all, and God bless you.
Maradona wanted to start a new electoral process that will still be truncated by him as shown in his speech.

Thank God that the heat from Nigerians was too high for him to bear.

Hence, he could not stay longer than 27th August 1993.

If not a deciever, how would he have organized a new presidential election and hand over within 2 months? What he failed to do in six years?

A leopard ca never change its colour. IBB is demonic.
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by yemmight(m): 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2010
IBB WILL NOT EVEN WIN IN HIS STATE cool
Re: Ibb: Happy Days Will Come Again by saintchux(m): 6:53pm On Sep 16, 2010
ARE YOU READY FOR CHANGE? Join the train now let's make the change; VOTE GEJ FOR PRESIDENT

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Plans Raise Fears Over 2011 Elections / Ovadje, Others Discover Cancer Cell Killer Plant / New Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.