Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,364 members, 7,888,161 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:47 PM

Ihedioha Advised To Select The Best Hands In All His Appointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ihedioha Advised To Select The Best Hands In All His Appointments (238 Views)

Oshiomhole Intervenes As Tinubu Throws Hands In Air At Rivers Rally (Video/Pix) / Farooq Kperogi Exposes Osibanjo's Bigotry In His Appointments / Umahi Defends Buhari, says his Appointments Are Fair To Igbos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ihedioha Advised To Select The Best Hands In All His Appointments by Lanquart: 9:08am On Apr 21, 2019
IHEDIOHA'S APPOINTMENTS: WHEN BUSINESS SUIT KEEPS GREEN CAP ASIDE

By Ogu Bundu Nwadike, M.A

The appointment of Dr. Reuben Abati as chief media aide to Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR the then President, raised a lot of expected dust. Abati had been a caustic, critical critic of Jonathan's. When the appointment was announced, Abati's first reaction was rejection. But at the end, he served as President Jonathan's media spokesman for four years. The explanation was that Jonathan was out to select from among the best in each critical area. Merit by verifiable performance became an overriding factor in that instance. Politics was kept at abeyance.

On that note, let me welcome you to this edition. On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 the Imo State governor-elect, His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha, CON, KSC had an appointment with the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council (CEIC). It was a business meeting. And when he came out from his room he was dressed up in a sharp, corporate grey suit and red tie to match. No green cap! I bet many never thought he had a suit. Such are those he must have surprised and probably shocked by appearing without the characteristic green cap.

Truth, however, is that the occasion was for business and not for politics. Hence, the business suit took centre stage over the political green cap. What I took home as lessons from that are many. When it's business be business-like and when it's politics be politics-like. Versatility and flexibility are fine ingredients of a good leader and good leadership.

In the expected inevitable appointments of his cabinet, His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha need not be told that it is a business affair more than a political affair. He needs no counsel to be business-like and not politics-like. A journey of one thousand miles begins with one step. That first step had better be moved rightly to guarantee moving the rest of the steps rightly. A wrong first step may result in every successive step being wrong. The fortunate thing is the immediate past Speaker of the Federal House of Representatives is versed in the art and science of corporate staffing.

In one of my few short essays (I don't find time write as much as I should) which I entitled: "Ihedioha: Elective Politics is Taken But Appointive politics is Given", I reminded exactly what that self-explanatory title stated. I appeale to our people that are lobbying for appointments into the Ihedioha administration to understand that it was not a game of survival of the fittest as is the case with elective politics. Rather, appointive politics is at the prerogative of the offeror and not at the request of offeree.

That is why the then President Jonathan would appoint a Dr. Abati when his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had a hallful of media professionals. But that too is why many felt that Jonathan's media team, led by Abati was successful in its four-year tenure.

As already established, in making appointments into the RebuildImo administration, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha will need to keep his green cap aside and dorn his business suits. The appointments will be best if looked at more with business eyes than eyes of politics. There must be little or no room for sentiments or phillial considerations. It will not be an industrial training (IT) attachment for anybody that should be at the front line. Applications. Shortlistings. Interviews. Assessments. Appointments. That's the standard business procedure that should, directly or indirectly, be applied in making the appointments.

Freewill, roadside, unempirical and unprocessed appointments that are based purely on politics may fail and disappoint, unlike appointments subjected to standard business procedure. With the established pedigree and antecedents of the incoming governor, he doesn't need to be told. He has proved at Commonwealth UK offices in London that he knows when to keep politics aside and allow business free reign.

I believe my interest in this topic sources from the banters and bickers at some quarters over the inclusive-government policy of the governor-elect of which many non-PDP members made the Transition Technical Committee (TTC) and Inauguaration Planning and Handover Committee. Some feel that only Imo PDP leaders and members that "suffered" during the rigorous consultations and campaigns should be appointed into the incoming cabinet.

However, with my allusion to President Jonathan and Dr. Reuben Abati as well as my reference to Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha and his business suit, I believe I have convinced and not confused anybody about the need to lobby for appointments with the appropriate instruments, and also that after lobbying, the lobbyist should wait patiently until the results are published. Pressure lobbying is not necessary because while elective politics is taken, appointive politics is given. Thank you.

*Nwadike is a journalist author and public affairs analyst. Sms only 08037146635 (Hotline), 08106819304 (WhatsApp). Email: ogubundunwadike@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Donates $500,000 To Guinea Bissau To Support Elections / 9th Assembly: Nigerians Will Have Better Deal Under Me – Lawan / Ilaje Group Petitions Akeredolu, Demands Autonomy For OSOPADEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.