Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,091 members, 7,896,643 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 06:00 PM

Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity (14776 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Ondo State Bans Activities Of Fulani Nomadic Herdsmen / Pictures Of Fulani Occupation And Destruction Of Agatu Land...... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Dede1(m): 1:06pm On Sep 18, 2010
Did the Fulani stop any fool in Nigeria from speaking the fool’s ethnic language or cause disunity for not speaking the said language?
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by PhysicsQED(m): 8:57pm On Sep 18, 2010
^^
?

Anyways, Murtala Muhammed was half Hausa, half Etsako, don't think he was Fulani, although it could be half Fulani half Etsako,

Anyways, before we stereotype the Fulani as being diabolical masterminds we should remember a man as great as Thomas Sankara was part Fulani,

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by 13volts(m): 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2010
Abagworo:

The biggest wayo of the Fulani is the term Hausa-Fulani.There exists Yoruba-Fulani and Etsako-Fulani as well.
this wayo was originated by the yoruba press. I ve said this b4 there is notting like hausa-fulani. Hausa as a group is distinct 4rom fulani. We hausas ve been victim of fulani aggression and dominance in all spheres of our history.

3 Likes

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Metalgong1(m): 1:31pm On Sep 19, 2010
13volts:

this wayo was originated by the yoruba press. I ve said this b4 there is notting like hausa-fulani. Hausa as a group is distinct 4rom fulani. We hausas ve been victim of fulani aggression and dominance in all spheres of our history.
hahahaha . . . lol
These yoruba people really know how to twist and re-write history for their own goal . . They are at it again in this up coming presidential election.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MShittu: 3:53pm On Sep 19, 2010
I'm going to come at this from a different angle now.I know it might contradict my previous statements, but after a little bit of thinking, i began to believe that it is not the fulani, or any other ethnic group in the country, that are holding the grips of power in Nigeria. I believe that there exists in Nigeria a class, one that is entirely comprised of individuals that I will refer to as the 'super-elites'. That class comprises of individuals from ethnic groups all across the nation, and I believe that those individuals have the power to change the nation as they desire.
Well, thats what I've begun to think.
Dont attack me for my beliefs please
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2010
13volts:

Very interesting. I have always wondered how the majority Hausa of the North allow the Fulani Emirs and elite rule over them. I know it stems from the conquest of Uthman dan Fodio, but these Fulani are not even indigenous to Nigeria. They are from the Senegambia region.

I think the press coined the term "Hausa-Fulani," because they understand how a minority tribe joined a much larger group to control power. Maybe I should rule a much larger group. . .

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
Metalgong.:

hahahaha . . . lol
These yoruba people really know how to twist and re-write history for their own goal . . They are at it again in this up coming presidential election.

So the term, Hausa-Fulani is equal to re-writting history? There is no level of depravity you won't sink to, just to malign Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2010
13volts:

Thank you Ive said there is no such thing as hausa-fulani or yoruba-fulani or nupe-fulani they"southerner mainly igbos" called me a liar and said im a yoruba man peddling lies.

Just because we are all muslims does not mean we are all One north.

3 Likes

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by hercules07: 7:18pm On Sep 19, 2010
I did read somewhere that the children of the slave married to Mallam Alimi inherited the kingdom, I believe the descendants of the emir of Ilorin have had their "fulaniness" diluted, I believe they have more Yoruba blood in them that they are ready to admit (they still take their orders from Sokoto sha o)

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 7:26pm On Sep 19, 2010
hercules07:

I did read somewhere that the children of the slave married to Mallam Alimi inherited the kingdom, I believe the descendants of the emir of Ilorin have had their "fulaniness" diluted, I believe they have more Yoruba blood in them that they are ready to admit (they still take their orders from Sokoto sha o)

the same with Emir of Kano, Emir of nupe est nupe, The emir of waise, none of them are pure fulanis. Even the sultan of sokoto has more hausa blood then Fulani.

Its very obvious
they are not pure fulanis.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 7:28pm On Sep 19, 2010
amingafar:

the same with Emir of Kano, Emir of nupe est nupe, The emir of waise, none of them are pure fulanis. Even the sultan of sokoto has more hausa blood then Fulani.

Its very obvious
they are not pure fulanis.

And how do you know that?

Fulani intermarry. They will go as far to their homeland in Sengal to find a Fulani bride.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 7:31pm On Sep 19, 2010
Futa Toro in north eastern Senegal is said to be the cradle and original cultural homeland of the Fulani in Africa who began their migrations into the rest of the Senegambia region in the 13th century.

A number of research versions exist as to the origins of the Fula people. One hypothesis is that they were either Caucasians or Semites who had crossed the Sahara and entered the West African region. The other hypothesis is that they originated in the lower basins of Senegal and the Gambia as a result inter-marriage between Saharan Berbers and the Serer and Wolofs. This resulted in two distinct racial groups of Fulani. The Berber group are marked by their light brown skin, straighter hair and noses as compared to the more typical features of their neighbours such as the Wolof or Mandinka. This group kept with the nomadic cattle rearing lifestyle and are know as the Bororoje. The other group had more typical Negroid features and are known as the Fulani Gidda who engaged in farming or lived in towns and cities and entered trading.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 7:34pm On Sep 19, 2010
The Fulani can even be found in Sudan!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2010
MaziUche0:

And how do you know that?

Fulani intermarry. They will go as far to their homeland in Sengal to find a Fulani bride.

they like the arabs often married slave women from different ethnic groups. They dont and wont go as far as senegal to marry. Being fulani is paternal and not maternal.

Just like you have afro arab who claim only arab. There is half fulanis who claim only fulani. There are half tauregs who claim only tauregs, there are half berbers who claim only berber.

its paternal
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 7:40pm On Sep 19, 2010
and berbers have different looks due to mixing not all are white.

If you have a taureg mother and aberber father you are still berber.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 7:47pm On Sep 19, 2010
amingafar:

and berbers have different looks due to mixing not all are white.

If you have a taureg mother and aberber father you are still berber.

Tuaregs are a Berber group. grin
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 7:49pm On Sep 19, 2010
MaziUche0:

Tuaregs are a Berber group. grin

sorry I mean fulani - fulani were often slaves before sokoto.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 7:53pm On Sep 19, 2010
amingafar:

sorry I mean fulani - fulani were often slaves before sokoto.

Fulanis were never slaves. They were simply herders and traders.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by ezeagu(m): 7:53pm On Sep 19, 2010
The elite Fulani only have as much power as they have now because they sucked the British colonisers toes t the point that they tried to delay Nigeria's independence. They couldn't go on ruling without their help, the world had changed drastically from cavalry driven raids.

MaziUche0:

There were Fulani slaves.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 8:09pm On Sep 19, 2010

taureg and fulani- both look the same to me.

MaziUche0:

everyone had slaves back then from small raids. It cannot be said Fulanis werent slaves under who ever had power before uthman.sokoto history only dates toward to beginning of christianity. Before uthman and the europeans who were the fulanis?

i think even Borno predates sokoto. with borno having slaves even oyo, wolof
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by amingafar(m): 8:24pm On Sep 19, 2010
Fulanis were never powerful or ruthless. The difference between them is that they started late After other african empires began to fall, 1780-1800's when the europeans were encouraging Africans to desists from conquering and killing.

If we were more educated in the north- Nigeria will be more equal, no one would think about being killed by a barbarian,
Most Fulanis have nothing tangible no Ids, No houses in their name, No proper schooling,- They can kill and be off to Niger, BF, Senegal or where ever.

If I, igbo, yoruba, ijaw or bini kill someone- where will we go? we have Ids, we have tangible things that arent worth losing.

I blame the Europeans for not forcing them to conform.

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Beaf: 9:08pm On Sep 19, 2010
It is funny that Nigeria is the only country where Fulani's are rich and powerful kingmakers. In all other countries, they tend to be the very poorest of the poor; the most uneducated and the most disadvantaged.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by tpiah: 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2010
I think you should stop attacking the fulas elites all the time. It is true that they have done wrong things but if you keep attacking them, they will find a way to justify their actions. They would say for instance that they are persecuted and that the only way they can survive is by being ruthless and united even when doing the worst attrocities. If Nigeria is the way it is, most nigerians are accountable for it.

end of.

@aminagar

i think you know the guy in your photo is mixed.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by sbeezy8: 9:18pm On Sep 19, 2010
eww that nikku inda pic is ugly he got some nice hair tho LOL

its longer than alot of naija babes
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 9:20pm On Sep 19, 2010
Beaf:

It is funny that Nigeria is the only country where Fulani's are rich and powerful kingmakers. In all other countries, they tend to be the very poorest of the poor; the most uneducated and the most disadvantaged.

I hear they have power in Guinea and Senegal. Especially in Guinea where they control the military apparatus.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by MaziUche0(m): 9:36pm On Sep 19, 2010
sbeezy8:

eww that nikku inda pic is ugly he got some nice hair tho LOL

its longer than alot of naija babes

I know right. . .

His hair is amazing. . . Some Nigerian woman would love to have that hair.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Beaf: 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2010
MaziUche0:

I hear they have power in Guinea and Senegal. Especially in Guinea where they control the military apparatus.

Its not what you hear. Its what is.
Nigeria is the only place they have power, in all other places, they are mostly poverty stricken.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by tpiah: 9:39pm On Sep 19, 2010
what gives people the impression african women dont like their hair?

your hoochies who tell you that?

better stop spoiling market for the hair business! If black women start refusing to buy hair una go enter problem o.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by sbeezy8: 9:52pm On Sep 19, 2010
YO tpia wetin you say

like what makes him mixed?

because people sometime dont know the difference of looks.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by tpiah: 10:05pm On Sep 19, 2010
^^aminagar is just being mischievous.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by sbeezy8: 10:09pm On Sep 19, 2010
no im saying tho do you notice the difference between the way that guy looks and a "regular african"

because he looks mixed to me, even though he has a big nose hes dark skinned and big lips.
Re: Ilorin And The Crisis Of Fulani Identity by Jarus(m): 10:58pm On Sep 19, 2010
Amingafar, which state are you from and what tribe are you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

SERAP Sues FG Over Failed Chinese $460m Abuja CCTV Project / Court Orders FG To Pay Maxwell Opara (Nnamdi Kanu's Lawyer) ₦5M Compensation / Sex Scandal: Leave Senator Bukar Abba Alone - APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.