Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,735 members, 7,975,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 01:19 PM

Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos (12177 Views)

Discos Struggle To Satisfy Band A Customers Over Gas Shortage / Nigeria's National Grid Collapses Again As Power Generation Drops To 42.7MW / Gas Shortage: Blackout Looms Nationwide As Gencos Cut Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Bizibi(m): 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2019
Chubhie:
Very shameful. Ngene was all over nairaland shouting about how buhari has added 20,000MW into the grid with a pending 10,000MW in the pipeline prior the elections.
that shameless tout.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by charris76: 1:55pm On Apr 27, 2019
Thats what you get when you put the wrong people in authority.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by MyGeneration(m): 1:57pm On Apr 27, 2019
AMI3:
“...Ghana has abolished VAT on real estate sales.
Ghana has abolished VAT on financial services.
Ghana has abolished capital gains tax on sales of shares on the stock exchange.
Ghana has abolished import duty on spare parts.
Ghana has abolished the 1% import levy.
Ghana has abolished VAT on domestic airline tickets.
Ghana has reduced very significantly VAT on small traders from 17.5% to 3%.
Ghana is going to abolish all import duty on raw materials and machineries imported into Ghana.

Ghana is embarking on a massive industrialization drive called One District, One Factory. And there are 216 districts in Ghana. There is now a focus on production.

Now, Ghana has two major advantages: power issues sorted out and a peaceful democracy. Ghana with a population of 28m generates 4,577MW as at 2017. Nigeria with a population of 200m generates 5,000MW. Meanwhile, Ghana is building 2 power plants- a 400MW LNG-fired plant and a 600MW plant being built by Siemens.

Ok. What are the implications for Nigeria? We don't need soothsayers to predict how factories/companies will shut down in Nigeria and move to Ghana. Nigeria will just become a mere trading post for these companies because of our population while Ghana becomes the economic hub of West Africa. Our homes will be flooded with goods made in Ghana.

Other countries are thinking. Rwanda has taken our shine. Ethiopia has put on its thinking cap. Ghana has started an upward trajectory. Nigeria sits with its giant feet of clay. ...”

---Bayo Adeyinka
Everyday I keep praying Nigeria's oil will become useless
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by SarkinYarki: 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2019
Nigeria is crumbling under the weight of Buharis ineptitude
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by topstone4: 2:10pm On Apr 27, 2019
Chubhie:
Very shameful. Ngene was all over nairaland shouting about how buhari has added 20,000MW into the grid with a pending 10,000MW in the pipeline prior the elections.

Ngeneukwenu, where is the 20,000 mw you lied that buhari generated? This one that you are such a shameless liar, do you think you have the moral justification to tell your children not to lie?

Undoubtedly, your children will grow up to become shameless liars and deceptive adults like you.

May you reap the fruits of your evil works

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by showafrica(m): 2:12pm On Apr 27, 2019
JasonScoolari:
grin

Please, where is Babatunde Fashola the Mistake?

Professor Chinedu Nebo is far better than the loud mouth Fashola.

Take nothing away from him when he was the governor, he was very okay, BUT as the minister of power, he is a big mistake.

Will you kiipkwayet... In this second tenure Buhari will take us to the next level
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 27, 2019
AMI3:
“...Ghana has abolished VAT on real estate sales.
Ghana has abolished VAT on financial services.
Ghana has abolished capital gains tax on sales of shares on the stock exchange.
Ghana has abolished import duty on spare parts.
Ghana has abolished the 1% import levy.
Ghana has abolished VAT on domestic airline tickets.
Ghana has reduced very significantly VAT on small traders from 17.5% to 3%.
Ghana is going to abolish all import duty on raw materials and machineries imported into Ghana.

Ghana is embarking on a massive industrialization drive called One District, One Factory. And there are 216 districts in Ghana. There is now a focus on production.

Now, Ghana has two major advantages: power issues sorted out and a peaceful democracy. Ghana with a population of 28m generates 4,577MW as at 2017. Nigeria with a population of 200m generates 5,000MW. Meanwhile, Ghana is building 2 power plants- a 400MW LNG-fired plant and a 600MW plant being built by Siemens.

Ok. What are the implications for Nigeria? We don't need soothsayers to predict how factories/companies will shut down in Nigeria and move to Ghana. Nigeria will just become a mere trading post for these companies because of our population while Ghana becomes the economic hub of West Africa. Our homes will be flooded with goods made in Ghana.

Other countries are thinking. Rwanda has taken our shine. Ethiopia has put on its thinking cap. Ghana has started an upward trajectory. Nigeria sits with its giant feet of clay. ...”

---Bayo Adeyinka

Ghana also charges higher for power, and scrupulosly meters everyone.

At the end of the day, the cash is available to pay for improvements.

In Nigeria
'
1.DISCOS don't meter everyone

2.Many Nigerians and government agencies don't pay for power.

3.Government controls pricing, and does not allow competition between DISCOS. Everyone stays in their lane...which is what wrecked the CDMA phone industry.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 2:17pm On Apr 27, 2019
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 2:18pm On Apr 27, 2019
rahazaqa:
You must be a kid, or you must be kidding. Power supply has so much increased under this administration, most Nigerians can testify to that. No one ever enjoyed 12 hours supply let alone 24 hours under your Chinedu Nebo. Under Obasanjo and Jonathan regime, 4 days blackout is not a news, it is a norm, but under this present administration, with a day black out, the NTC will make a press release and apologize. That is the difference.

It hasn't, i mean power supply.

We are at 4000-5000MW...which is where it was under GEJ.

It can be improved, but until government properly deregulates the power sector, allows DISCOS to charge whatever price they have to pay for power, and until defaulters pay their bills. DISCOS have to scrupulously meter everyone as well.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Babalawoniger: 2:19pm On Apr 27, 2019
For the past 9 days now in my area, we have been living in total darkness. I am talking about olorunda Ayetoro axis in oshogbo.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Ntente(m): 2:24pm On Apr 27, 2019
EVERY NIGERIAN USES AIRTIME OR DATA. ALL I'M SAYING IS; GET PAID AS YOU RECHARGE OR BUY DATA..... NOTHING MORE!!!
https:///HqynURqPF2NHf5wTnv5i2S
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by anonimi: 2:32pm On Apr 27, 2019
SoNature:
Well, there's no basis for comparing an experienced engineer who has an independent power station to a lawyer politically appointed to head Nigeria's power sector

If you know you know.
Buhari filled his cabinet with loyalists who are misfits to guarantee a repeat of his 1980s failure.
Can he correct himself in his next level

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by balonaija(f): 2:36pm On Apr 27, 2019
na wahala...
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Chukazu: 2:41pm On Apr 27, 2019
JasonScoolari:
grin

Take nothing away from him when he was the governor, he was very okay, BUT as the minister of power, he is a big mistake.

Nothing so special about him been the governor of Lagos where he can amasse enough resources to meet few cosmetic developmental target and return the remaining loot to his god father, TINUBU.

If he can be a Governor of Zamfara and Borno state with his giant strides then we can affirm his dexterity...till then he's just a "flash in the pan"
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Angelawhite(m): 2:53pm On Apr 27, 2019
Today , I tried using my small electric cooker to cook indomie as my gas finished without notice. After putting all the ingredients, NEPA took light. Light that didn’t last up to 15 minutes. Na so my Indomie spoil.

Guys, this can’t be a curse nah. 28 years ago, I was shouting “UP NEPA!!” , today I still hear my neighborhood vibrate with the shouts of kids each time power is restored? Like wtf? The giant of Africa ? What have we been doing with all the human and natural resources God has given us ?

Ordinary electricity that was discovered many years ago is what we cannot get right.

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 27, 2019
...and the shithole keeps nose-diving!....

#NEXT LEVEL LOADING.....
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by jimcaddy(m): 3:15pm On Apr 27, 2019
All these big big grammar is not what we need. Even when there was no fault nko. Wasn't power supply at it's lowest. We hardly have power for more than 10 hours a day. Yet the bills won't go down. And their operatives are as proactive and corrupt as ever. Nigeria is cursed... Power issue will never end.. as long as some people are alive and are in business. Some businesses needs to die before we can have constant power supply. Even our President can not touch these guys owning the GENCOS and DISCOS and the power plants. His fighting corruption campaign has already excluded these men... They are called the untouchables.. They cannot be touched. The wealth of some few powerful men is worth more than the happiness of millions of Nigerians. Until Nigerians stand up, united with one voice and fight back, the rubbish going on in this country will continue.. we will just be complaining and nothing will happen..
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 27, 2019
rahazaqa:
You must be a kid, or you must be kidding. Power supply has so much increased under this administration, most Nigerians can testify to that. No one ever enjoyed 12 hours supply let alone 24 hours under your Chinedu Nebo. Under Obasanjo and Jonathan regime, a week, 2 weeks blackout is not a news, it is a norm, but under this present administration, with a day black out, the NTC will make a press release and apologize. That is the difference.

Sir, did you take your meds this morning?
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by watchindelta(m): 3:25pm On Apr 27, 2019
rahazaqa:
You must be a kid, or you must be kidding. Power supply has so much increased under this administration, most Nigerians can testify to that. No one ever enjoyed 12 hours supply let alone 24 hours under your Chinedu Nebo. Under Obasanjo and Jonathan regime, a week, 2 weeks blackout is not a news, it is a norm, but under this present administration, with a day black out, the NTC will make a press release and apologize. That is the difference.
u lie, Goodluck time in warri sedco i enjoyed 24/7 even if the light go off, 30mins time is back again. but na 3days striangt no light any time i called my ppl for naija.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by luluman: 3:32pm On Apr 27, 2019
JasonScoolari:
grin

Yeeeeebos.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by mechanics(m): 3:33pm On Apr 27, 2019
fuckerstard:
heat don kill me o
Sorry, the light will soon be restored mine has been restored for now, after 3 days of unstable power supply.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by lomprico(m): 3:37pm On Apr 27, 2019
Drop keh? If pesin no get light at all wetin was worse pass am again. Abi you generator no go dey generate full current again?
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 27, 2019
mechanics:
Sorry, the light will soon be restored mine has been restored for now, after 3 days of unstable power supply.

Really, i can't wait.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by casted81: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2019
I used an ecobank ATM while going back home from work yesterday, and I found this among the notes 'vomited' by the machine.

Pls how do I get a replacement.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Pardon me for posting here, I couldn't find the best section to post this.

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Just2endowed2(m): 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2019
relying on PHCN is another disappointment.

Get a Romoss Sense 8+ 30,000mah powerbank to get rest of mind
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 5:25pm On Apr 27, 2019
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 27, 2019
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by otokx(m): 5:31pm On Apr 27, 2019
We are having a very improved electricity supply in my area of Port Harcourt these past few days.
Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by kjhova(m): 6:04pm On Apr 27, 2019
MyGeneration:
I only wish I understood how Nigeria a country with vast gas reserve's, that produces and exports gas will be having such huge gas shortage I wish I understood

It is simple to understand.

Poor planning, zero political will and criminal underfunding over many years.

Nigeria's main local resource for power generation is gas which we are fairly abundantly blessed with. Setting up a gas fired power plant is expensive ($400M is required to set up one with roughly 1,000MW cap. in Texas, maybe more in Nigeria).

Rough estimation of the cost of adding say 20,000MW to our generation capacity will be $8B+. Then maybe another $2B investment in expanding transmission, distribution etc to be able to effectively evacuate what is generated. My dear friend, that is N3.6Trillion (just under 50% of annual federal budget) which will be needed in FX and not Naira.

Nigeria needs to find ways to fund such project by securing debt/FDI over a long time period. Problem is governments here tend to think short term. You need projects you can finish within your 4 years term and commission so that they can say this is what GEJ did, Buhari did etc. In that same frame, what global institution will be willing to invest in a long term project in Nigeria where things can so easily change in the short term? For the same reason, it is difficult to secure affordable debt to finance these things.

If we are serious enough, as a people, we can use our own funds and not need to borrow. However, this will mean that business as usual has to end and the government must take tough decisions like reduce the public sector work force, save FX by stopping importation of items with local subs like rice, textile etc, stop subsidy in petroleum products etc. Most of the time, these decisions are difficult to take and will be resisted by Nigerians.

All said, the entire sector has been privatised in the GEJ era except for transmission which the government still controls. Sadly, the GENCOS/DISCOS we sold the assets to don't seem to have the financial capacity for expansion. So here we are with less than 4,000MW delivery of electricity for a nation tapping on 200million population mark.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Drops As Gas Shortage Forces Closure Of Four Gencos by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2019
casted81:
I used an ecobank ATM while going back home from work yesterday, and I found this among the notes 'vomited' by the machine.

Pls how do I get a replacement.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Pardon me for posting here, I couldn't find the best section to post this.

Nothing can be done.

Happened to me, and naturally bank no go replace am.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kebbi To Join Oil-producing States, Bagudu Pledges During Swearing-in / Wike, Fubara, And The Avoidable Political Insurgency In Rivers / Ubah Set As Anambra's Otedola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.