Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,520 members, 7,885,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 03:22 AM

My Experience At The Mother And Child Hospital Akure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Experience At The Mother And Child Hospital Akure (3182 Views)

LASG To Commission Four-floor 100-bed Maternal And Child Centre In Badagry / Ultra-modern Mother & Child Hospital In Rivers: Wike’s Administration Legacy / Ondo, Akure To Get General Hospital- Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience At The Mother And Child Hospital Akure by tungamaje: 5:48am On Apr 30, 2019
My wife was delivered of a baby girl last Tuesday at the Mother and Child Hospital in Akure, Ondo State. When she registered for ante natal, she was requested to do a scan and blood tests to be sure there were no infections. She was given a list of items she should provide for the delivery. These items included (2)1 litres of Hypo, a packet of surgical gloves (contains over 25 pairs), antiseptic liquid, bed sheet and so on. On her delivery day, a neighbour and I accompanied her to the hospital where we were asked to bring our items. To my consternation, I was told to provide or buy a thermometer and a pair of gloves before they could touch her. When we complained that we already supplied them with our pack of gloves, the nurse told us it was their policy, the pack is not for use. I went home to bring our thermometer and also bought a pair of gloves. I also paid for the delivery pack. Thinking everything is now set, I went home to look after the children leaving the woman with my wife. I then received a call that my attention was needed, I needed to donate blood. I returned and was given a bill of N3500 to pay. I paid and went down to the laboratory where they counselled me on why it was important to donate my blood as it may not necessarily be me wife who would finally use it. My blood may save another person's life. It must be screened and therefore I should pay although transfusion to needy patients is free. They collected my sample and I left and was told to come back in 2 hours time. Unfortunately, it rained and I couldn't return. Fortunately my wife delivered safely. Early morning next day, I came to the hospital take my wife and child home and was told I must go and collect the blood bank clearance. When I reached there and explained why I didn't come back yesterday, they understood but told me my blood didn't match my wife's. I told them my wife wouldn't need the blood transfusion as she delivered safely. I was told I must get someone to donate my wife's match or should source from a list of private laboratories as that was their policy. I told them I didn't have money and don't have anybody who could donate on my behalf. They then told me the alternative was to screen my blood for infections such as hiv, hepatitis and others and if sound, they would collect it. I sat for sometime and was informed I was fit to donate. I did and was given the clearance.
I then paid the delivery bills and bought prescribed drugs. The nurse who was to release us asked us once again to bring our gloves before she could touch the drip syringe attached to my wife's wrist. I flared up. One of the nurses calmed me down saying the government abandoned the hospital, and that's why the toll is now on the patients.
Sitting down in the laboratory and reflecting on this blood donation of a thing, I was wondering if they actually transfuse these blood to patients free of charge. Why should a blood donor be the one to pay for the screening? Would that encourage me to walk into a hospital one day and say I am donating blood to save lives? What do we as citizens gain from the government when we pay for virtually every service in the hospitals. Note that you must provide all the kits they need for the delivery.
I congratulate the hardworking and caring nurses in the hospital and hope the abusive and arrogant ones should learn to treat their 'customers' as kings because customers are always right

1 Like

Re: My Experience At The Mother And Child Hospital Akure by temmym4(m): 2:28pm On Apr 20, 2020
Hmmmm. very helpful bro, especially in decision making. Thanks.
How is baby doing. My regards to the family.

Will need your assistance in terms of some questions regarding this particular issue. Will appreciate if i can get your whatsapp number though i already sent u a Nairaland mail. Thank u sir

(1) (Reply)

STRANGE: See A Buttless Man Born With No Bum-bum (see Photo / Hlep! Cure For Chronic Waist Pain / I Have Pimples All Over My Chest. What Do I Do Please Nl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.