Stats: 3,173,364 members, 7,888,161 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:47 PM

Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers (15131 Views)

25% Of Coronavirus Carriers Don't Show Symptoms But Can Still Spread Virus / Who Is To Be Blamed?(a Poem Dedicated To All Sickle Cell Carriers) / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by seedsower(m): 10:13pm On May 01, 2019
chloride6:
Nonsense law...

Illiterate law makers..

Who said marriage must lead to child birth

In Africa YES!!! Too bad sha but that’s d really
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by chloride6: 10:14pm On May 01, 2019
seedsower:

In Africa YES!!! Too bad sha but that’s d really

Still a stupid law..

What about all the people not married but having kids..
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by donbenie(m): 10:19pm On May 01, 2019
HitSong:

Maybe I'll call this ignorance and poverty mentality.

For your information, there are ways of preventing this

PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS
IVF
BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT ETC
RANGES FROM 300K TO 4 MILLION NAIRA
So how many couples in Nigeria do you think can afford any of these treatments?

Person wey never chop wan do 4 MILLION NAIRA treatments..

An ounce of prevention can save a pound of cure.. undecided
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Urchman200: 10:20pm On May 01, 2019
HitSong:

PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS
IVF
so this is what one will under go before it can be cured, when u can easily avoid it
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by donbenie(m): 10:25pm On May 01, 2019
Follygunners:
Make dem "Develop" the medicine to cure ma na... So it's gonna be a crime to fall in love, abi?

Foolish Okoro Savages! angry
The F00L is the one who knowingly encourages or brings innocent children into the world to suffer needlessly.. undecided
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by justli: 10:27pm On May 01, 2019
You found love in a genetically incompatible fellow and you think you must marry that person. The simple question I like to ask is, what is in the course of courting this fellow, you fell sick and passed on.

At most one year, the other person would be over you, find another love, and live happily ever after....

What you can't get you most admire. Because you can't marry that love, you think life starts and ends with them. My dear it doesn't....

If they cheat on you,
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by ThothHermes: 10:28pm On May 01, 2019
Follygunners:

Dude, I know you more than you think. "Felix Terungwa Dav" angry

I know where you live and all your family even in Benue... Watch out! angry
come and see.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by HitSong: 10:58pm On May 01, 2019
donbenie:
So how many couples in Nigeria do you think can afford any of these treatments?

Person wey never chop wan do 4 MILLION NAIRA treatments..

An ounce of prevention can save a pound of cure.. undecided
Always seeing negativity in everything! Tufiakwa

So, you didn't see 300k?
PD is just between 200k to 300k. I just purposely put that range there
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by HitSong: 11:01pm On May 01, 2019
seedsower:

For SS VS SS COUPLE?? What u wrote is for AS VS AS
Where have you seen ss marrying ss?
Even if that happens, bone marrow transplant can still correct it tongue
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by flourishing247: 11:06pm On May 01, 2019
eyinjuege:

If you're not interested in considering the option of abortion, there are always other options like IVF where before the egg is even implanted, you know the scores.
Sickle cell disease is just a disease like many chronic diseases. It can be managed. They shouldn't be stigmatized, and definitely not the carriers.
I understand the risks involved if 2 carriers marry each other, but that should be their own decision after going through the pros and the cons.
Do we say mature women in their late 30s and 40s shouldn't marry again because the risk of producing Down Syndrome babies is higher in them?
Useless laws like this can be applied to so many scenarios, and until it touches something that is dear to you before you realise it's a law that doesn't make sense in this 21st century.
The government should have no business on who you decide to take as a life partner.
If the laws of the land prohibits marriage between carriers of the disease, perhaps they can decide to cohabit and start having children like that. What has the law achieved then? They haven't broken any law as they've not married, but that still hasn't reduced the risk of having sicklers has it?

T
How many people can afford this procedure? The best thing is for AS to marry AA. SS marry AA simple. No use going through emotional trauma for selfish reasons. Go visit a family with an SS child and understand the pains they are going through. Sometimes love does not conquer all
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by flourishing247: 11:07pm On May 01, 2019
HitSong:

So, you didn't see 300k?

You will still be shocked so many people can't afford it. I don't know where you live but you seriously need to face reality

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Nobody: 11:11pm On May 01, 2019
MikeBetty:
There Is No Human Right Issue Here. The Law Is Telling You Not To Be Blindly In love. Thereby Bringing Sicklers Into The World To Suffer. It Is A Preventive Measure. It Is Your right To Commit Suicide, But An Attempt To Commit Suicide Is An Offense In Nigeria.

Educated illiterate. Very soon they will restrict your freedom of whom to worship. Just wait.

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Codes151(m): 11:14pm On May 01, 2019
I still think it should be a personal decision. That’s why there are marriage councils who teach or encourage these tests... rather they should pass a bill towards making marriage counseling compulsory
sgtponzihater1:

How is this unneeded law?, SS is a preventable conditions ravaging our country, and putting frowns in many families.

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by GreatestA1(m): 11:44pm On May 01, 2019
post=78022249:
This is a very good step to take.

It is high time people know the difference between wickedness and loving blindly.
Why decide to bring children that will suffer in pains almost all the years of their life to this world on the cover of I LOVE MY SPOUSE?
That is not LOVE, it is nothing but sheer wickedness and selfishness!

This is a very good step in the right direction.

"it is high time people knew the difference...." That's how the sentence ought to be constructed. For next time sake.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by 004gist: 1:58am On May 02, 2019
HitSong:

Where have you seen ss marrying ss?
Even if that happens, bone marrow transplant can still correct it tongue

I know u are Dangote.

I believe your girlfriend is pushing for this having seen you are well to do. But have it in mind that if you venture bring a child into this world with SS, you won't know peace honestly from experience.

I will advice you reconsider your stand there are thousands and millions of girls out there that matches you perfectly.

That was how a girl was pushing me into this sine years back when I said no she said I don't have faith, I don't love her etc.

Please and please use your brain

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by frozen70(f): 3:47am On May 02, 2019
ednut1:
What a silly law. What is they can afford IVF??

What's the relationship ❓

If you had said, surrogate, it would have been understandable
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by zamanii: 4:57am On May 02, 2019
HitSong:

PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS
IVF

You seem like the ignorant one here. Have you asked yourself how many people can comfortably afford 300k on such procedures? what the chances of success are, after all there are no 100% guarantees.

Why spend all of that money when you can even avoid it in the first place.

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by zamanii: 5:10am On May 02, 2019
HitSong:

So, you didn't see 300k?
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by ednut1(m): 5:53am On May 02, 2019
frozen70:

at least research before spewing trash

Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by OneNigerianist: 6:31am On May 02, 2019
my only problem with the law is that it seems to violate freedom of worship by restricting the Church. The law itself is very fine. All those people mentioning human right should remember that any right that potentially deprives another person of his right to life shouldn't really be a right.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by MikeBetty(m): 6:57am On May 02, 2019
kmcutez:

Educated illiterate. Very soon they will restrict your freedom of whom to worship. Just wait.
If You Are In Menstrual Pains Don't Comment On Nairaland So That You Dont Insult Your Elders Out Of Agony Of Pains. The State Want To Stop Sickle Cell Has Nothing To Do With Your Religious Right. Or Are You Heartbroken Already? Look For Your Match Before You Give Birth To A Child That Will Make You Cry.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by actrinity(m): 7:12am On May 02, 2019
eyinjuege:
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.....

Don't deny people their basic human right
Which basic right are u talking here? Are u sure u understood the right up at all? The ban was among/between SS carriers. Not that AA cannot marry them, but among/between SS and AS carriers. So I think the bill was made to save more lives.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Acidosis(m): 7:20am On May 02, 2019
Illiterates. Can't married people decide to adopt or stay without kids? Whoever raised this bill is stupi.d
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by donbenie(m): 7:52am On May 02, 2019
HitSong:

So, you didn't see 300k?
Even the 300K,

How many average Nigerian couples can afford that?

Abi You no dey live for this country?

You need to live in the real world and pull your head from whatever bubbles it's encased in..

NIGERIANS are POOR, POOR!

You should try and appreciate the import of that,

Before coming here to spew whatever..
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by badman007(m): 9:35am On May 02, 2019
God have mercy!

Are these people mad?
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by BigBashiru: 9:46am On May 02, 2019
Taiwo20:
Won't this conflict with some fundamental human rights?

Lawyers in the house, what do you think?

The unborn child has a right to be sickle cell free!
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by ursolution: 10:08am On May 02, 2019
As well intentioned as this law is, it can only make sense to those who are still in the realm of the 1970s or 80s in their thinking and understanding.

Besides the fact that the law violates basic human rights, the law also failed to recognize proven medical advancement that are now available to either prevent giving birth to an SS child or curing a sickle cell patient.

The State Assembly should have passed a bill that would make such medical procedures affordable for citizens of the state rather than infringing on the right of people on making their choices of a partner. Another thing is that an intending couple may decide not to have kids. Did they consider that when passing the bill?
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Surrey2Bimshire: 1:38pm On May 02, 2019
HitSong:
Hehehe

This is interesting

And I'm planning to settle down with my girlfriend soon.
We are both at risk and we are considering doing prenatal diagnosis that may lead to abortion if we discover that the coming child is SS.

What's people's take on procedure like this?
The psychological effect and religious view.

I need advice please

So you’re basically looking to murder humans for your selfish reasons ?
By the way , One of My BFF is SS I know what she had go through everyday and it’s breaks my heart
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by Surrey2Bimshire: 1:39pm On May 02, 2019
HitSong:

PRENATAL DIAGNOSIS
IVF

Do you think everyone can afford the above ? ?
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by kenny160: 2:54pm On May 03, 2019
This is a best move by Anambra government i concur in fact i love it
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by eyinjuege: 4:28pm On May 04, 2019
frozen70:

Why a surrogate? Nothing stops AS women from carrying babies.
Re: Anambra Assembly Bans Marriage Of Sickle Cell Carriers by frozen70(f): 7:22pm On May 04, 2019
eyinjuege:

Why a surrogate? Nothing stops AS women from carrying babies.

No one says an AS woman should not carry pregnancy

The issue is giving birth to SS kids

Dry Cracked Feet, And How To Fix Them / TOKOPHOBIA; Fear Of Death During Pregnancy. Ever Experienced This? / Revealed: The Secret Fertility System That Cures Infertility & Get You Pregnant