Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,965 members, 7,927,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 02:18 AM

Pains And Gains Of A Presidential Declaration ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pains And Gains Of A Presidential Declaration ! (518 Views)

I Feel Your Pains And I Will Not Disappoint You, Buhari Tells Nigerians / 5 Gains Of President Buhari's US Trip - Fulanimafia / 2015 PRESIDENTIAL DECLARATION!!!BUHARI VISITS AND INVITES GOVERNOR FASHOLA!(PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Pains And Gains Of A Presidential Declaration ! by wales(m): 6:26am On Sep 20, 2010
The mid-tempo atmosphere in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, got a Fahrenheit boost on Saturday when politicians, public officials, area boys and girls, traders and others of no particular livelihood, stormed the Eagle Square to witness President Goodluck Jonathan’s declaration of his bid to contest the 2011 elections.

Most people stood for hours in the sun as a show of support for Jonathan, whom many believed could change the nation’s socio-economic fortunes if given the chance and the votes at the polls.

The square could hardly contain the mammoth crowd which surged hither and thither like tidal waves. In fact, the crowd outside the venue was more than the number of people inside as many invaded the arena in support of the President.

The gigantic speakers mounted at strategic places offered maximum audio-visual coverage for those that could not enter the square. The television stations also did a good job as they relayed the event live for those watching from their homes.

The police and other security agencies like the State Security Service had a tough time controlling the people who had come from every part of the country to be part of the big event. No fewer than 8,000 policemen and hundreds of SSS operatives covered the declaration with other para-military agencies such as the Nigeria Security Civil Defence Corps, and the Federal Road Safety Corps providing support. About 25 Assistant Commissioners of Police took charge of security arrangement, just to ensure that everything went smoothly and, this they succeeded in doing.

Nigerians were again united under the canopy of Jonathan’s declaration as everyone at the square tolerated one another and related like members of the same family in spite of the scorching sun and the discomfort they suffered. The day was, however, not without incident as the Oyo and Osun contingents had an altercation that was brought under control. The Oyo contingents had taken their seats at the covered area of the square, but because they were many, some of them took over the seats meant for their counterparts from Osun State.

When the Osun contingent came, they found that some of their seats had been taken over and thus began an argument which snowballed into a shouting match. Within minutes, the groups began throwing plastic water bottles and pure water sachets at one another and the altercation was about degenerating when security agents moved in and persuaded them to embrace peace.

Artistes who entertained the people with music, gave the event a carnival-like air and thus made the heat more tolerable. Smart businesswomen who had set up bukateriats on the kerbs provided food and drinks for the thirsty and hungry. They made quick money as people kept coming to eat and drink.

A woman who identified herself as Mama Carol told PUNCHMETRO that the moment she heard about the event, she decided to be part of it because she knew she won’t regret it. “I quickly mobilised the girls in my restaurant and also recruited three more girls and I can tell you that it was a worthwhile venture because we could not even satisfy customers who wanted food and drinks. So, while the politicians were doing their thing, we were also doing our own outside the venue, filling empty stomachs and making money. I wish it was a weekly event,” she said smiling.

Hotels and guest houses were also fully booked. Visitors scrambled for high-brow hotels like Transcorp, Sheraton and others, but those that could not get rooms had to lodge wherever they could find accommodation. Jonathan’s election bid turned what might have been an ordinary day in Abuja to a day of economic windfall for young entrepreneurs who sold PDP-branded face caps, umbrellas, handkerchiefs and other odds and ends that could be embossed with PDP or Jonathan’s image.

But while restaurateurs like Mama Carol and hotel proprietors were thanking their stars, taxi drivers were unhappy over the closure of the roads around the square which affected their revenue drive. A taxi driver, Mr. Joe Okafor explained that he could not meet his target because the roads leading to the square was blocked and he had to make long detour whenever he needed to take passengers to Asokoro, Area 11 and other areas close to Eagle Square.

Okafor said, “I thought in the morning that the event may affect business, but my instinct told me that I should try. It was a frustrating day for me because most of the roads around the square were sealed up by security agents and this made it difficult to access certain areas like Aso and other places close to the square.”

The pains of attendees did not end with the event. Many of them had to trek long distances to their destinations as there were no taxis around. A journalist who covered the event, Ezra Ijioma said that he trekked from the square to his office at Herbert Macauley Way, Central Business Area, adding that he almost fainted from the exertion and from standing for about six hours.

For the man that declared, and for those that suffered or profited from the rally, only a free and fair election would justify and perhaps reward the personal sacrifices they made for the succeess of the event.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100920221731

Re: Pains And Gains Of A Presidential Declaration ! by wales(m): 6:27am On Sep 20, 2010
Goodluck Jonathan is actually the Moses of our time and he should try his best to transform Nigeria to better its citizens like what happened in Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi etc. May your day be long our Dear President.

(1) (Reply)

Inside The Pdp Presidential Frontliners’ Campaigns ! / Question For IBB / Re-election Scramble - Is It A Mere Coincidence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.