Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,669 members, 7,948,526 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 12:07 AM

He Want To Be My Driver - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / He Want To Be My Driver (4439 Views)

He's Not Cheating... But Does He Want To? / He Want Me To Join Him In The State Without Our Kid!! / He Just Can't Get His Jt Up When He Want To Sleep With His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 12:18am On Sep 24, 2010
netotse:

what if the person disrespects him?

i agree with OAM4J(to an extent) and purple diamond, he should let his dad drive him, but if he has any paroles he should give the man the day off, all na eye-service now,
As if getting lucky is always pre-calculated.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by netotse(m): 12:45am On Sep 24, 2010
denzel2009:

As if getting lucky is always pre-calculated.

well, it's a trade off, cut down on the getting lucky and keep his dad happy for a couple of months or i[i]gnore the old man and leave him to his devices[/i], there isn't much a 62 year old retiree can get up to in abj(going by OPs location)
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by KAYD007(m): 10:33am On Sep 24, 2010
if am in ur shoes. keeping sentiments aside, i would not succumb to such a request which from my point of view like i said "keeping sentiments aside" would amount to disrespecting my dad! though he may not see it that way b'cos he's the one making the request but he should be able to understand. angry

dad, i no how u feel, but i cant just allow this now. haba daaaad!! check am now, its unheard of, noo noo noo mbannu!!! hell no!!!! angry

having said that. will sit him down & ask him what else does he have in mind apart from being my personal driver that could relatively keep him active & happy considering his age, then we can go frm there.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 25, 2010
KAYD007:

if am in your shoes. keeping sentiments aside, i would not succumb to such a request which from my point of view like i said "keeping sentiments aside" would amount to disrespecting my dad! though he may not see it that way b'cos he's the one making the request but he should be able to understand. angry

dad, i no how u feel, but i cant just allow this now. haba daaaad!! check am now, its unheard of, noo noo noo mbannu!!! hell no!!!! angry

having said that. will sit him down & ask him what else does he have in mind apart from being my personal driver that could relatively keep him active & happy considering his age, then we can go frm there.

It's more disrespecting your dad, if you decline a direct request from him. Unless you're trying to imply he's senile, which in this case, I very much doubt. There's nothing unheard of in his request, it's more the Nigerian mentality, that decrees there's no dignity in labour, it's all about status. In this case, it's more like you're worried about how others will perceive you. Forget about yourself for a change, and put someone else first, in this case, your dad.

In this case, there's little need "sitting him down", and trying to change his mind. He's made up his mind what he wants, and his request is quite clear. He wants to spend time with his son, and feel he's earning something at the same time. It's not about the money - it could well be N80,000 or N150,000. We're talking a man that's 67-years-old, and has been working for most of his life suddenly being retired, and no doubt feeling redundant. Why not respect his wishes, and give him what he's asked for?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by calipso(m): 10:36am On Sep 25, 2010
God forbid bad thing

how can my dad be my driver, i mean my "DAD"

i better stil buy him a car to always move around or look for something ealse to keep him busy.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 25, 2010
calipso:

God forbid bad thing
how can my dad be my driver, i mean my "DAD"
i better stil buy him a car to always move around or look for something ealse to keep him busy.

It appears you're missing the point here. Where does the "God forbid" come into play here? Supposing you can't convince him to "find something else to keep him busy", what then? It seems you're more concerned about how it affects you. What about what your dad wants??
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Igwe9(m): 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2010
In as much as I don't see any thing bad in one driving his son, I still think you shouldn't grant him the request owing to the fact that he's already been declared unfit to work as a driver hence the retirement, unless he was unjustly retired in his former company.

The only organisation that retires staff even when they are still fit is the government's. Having said that, you could either get him another car for Taxi, with that he works at his own pace or better still, find him another work that suits his age.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Fhemmmy: 1:03am On Sep 26, 2010
There is a difference between a wish and what is right.
It is not kool at all, so you driving and you meet a friend, how do you introduced your father-driver?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 26, 2010
Fhemmmy:

There is a difference between a wish and what is right.
It is not kool at all, so you driving and you meet a friend, how do you introduced your father-driver?

So, its all about you being embarrassed, is it?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by gestapo(f): 9:14am On Sep 26, 2010
Abomination shocked shocked shocked

Shuo, what if you didn't have a car, talkless of need a driver

Oro buruku t'oun t'erin

What happens when he drives you for some meeting, does he wait for you outside in the car twiddling his thumb or takes the car for a spin, wasting petrol and potentially ending up in go-slow, keeping you waiting and delaying you from attending the next meeting
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 26, 2010
//
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 9:55am On Sep 26, 2010
Siena is looking at this issue like a typical oyinbo(No offence).They dont see anything wrong in it,as far as they are concerned,the Dad is working and closer to his son.

But in Nigeria,it is fundamentally wrong. The dad would still his son as a son not a boss, you'd realise that he'd still want to correct his son and make decisions. The arrangement could end in a rift which might not be resolved till death do them part.

Poster, If you cherish the relationship you have with your father,please dont grant this request.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by geogentle: 11:39am On Sep 26, 2010
I wouldn't allow my dad to be my personal driver. Would rather employ him as a driver to drive my mum - his wife
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by ice234: 11:50am On Sep 26, 2010
better still drive himself
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by netotse(m): 3:29pm On Sep 26, 2010
what about mothers looking after their grandkids? it's not much different now. . .

@denzel
i agree with siena and i dont have oyinbo tendencies. . .lol. Most of the objection is based on the stigma attached to being a 'driver' but
isn't that what the man used to earn the money he spent to bring you up?

@gestapo
he'll do whatever he wants to do, i think all this hesitation stems from the disdain nigerian ppl have for drivers and all other classes of blue collar job.

so being the OPs driver is good enough for another persons father(theoretically). If he's going to disrespect the dad, he(the dad) doesn't have to drive him before he disrespects him. I think it's entirely possible for him to respect his father even while his father is driving him, what will it cost? not being able to call the driver stupid(which anyone shouldn't be doing in the first place) or not being able to talk rudely? respect goes deeper than 'position'.

If you can talk him out of it without hurting his feelings fine, however remember that he's your father and it's your duty to make him as happy as possible he's in the twilight of his life here on earth.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by hackney(m): 7:58pm On Sep 26, 2010
You want your Dad to drive you?
Like someone said, you are not nigerian.
Infact i dont think you are  African.

If he wants to drive, can't your dad not do something else like a one-man delivery service (van man)
rather than being his son's driver

Ogodo ga awuchi gi anya there! !

I think u r just pulling legs sha.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 26, 2010
netotse:

@denzel Most of the objection is based on the stigma attached to being a 'driver' but 
isn't that what the man used to earn the money he spent to bring you up?

If he's going to disrespect the dad, he(the dad) doesn't have to drive him before he disrespects him.
  respect goes deeper than 'position'.
If you can talk him out of it without hurting his feelings fine, however remember that he's your father and it's your duty to make him as happy as possible he's in the twilight of his life here on earth.

I'm glad someone can see where I'm coming from here.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Basseti: 10:30pm On Sep 26, 2010
It just doesnt feel right having ur dad drive u around?

Being a driver sometimes entail U are at the beck and call of ur employer at every time of the day. So imagine a scenario where u have an emergency by 2am (or U need to be picked up from the airport by say 4am) and U have to wake ur 65 yr old dad up from his "beauty sleep" grin Thats going to be an interesting conversation. Popsy, wake ur ass up undecided

The excuse that he wants to be closer to his son does not wash with me either. What kind of silly excuse is that? undecided How much "family and quality" time could u even spend with ur father while he is behind the wheels and ur mind is focused on the deals u got to attend for the day? undecided If he wants to spend more time with you, you can find other ways to grant him his wish without having him drive u around town.

Finally, if he is energetic , full of life and still wants to earn his keep, get him involved with something. If u can afford to give him 80, 000 bucks a month, I am sure u can afford to invest in a venture that will require his time and even expertise. The idea that he has to be ur driver to show that he is still full of spunk is a load of bollocks.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by netotse(m): 11:26pm On Sep 26, 2010
Basseti:

It just doesnt feel right having your dad drive u around?

Being a driver sometimes entail U are at the beck and call of your employer at every time of the day. So imagine a scenario where u have an emergency by 2am (or U need to be picked up from the airport by say 4am) and U have to wake your 65 yr old dad up from his "beauty sleep" grin Thats going to be an interesting conversation. Popsy, wake your backside up undecided

The excuse that he wants to be closer to his son does not wash with me either. What kind of silly excuse is that? undecided How much "family and quality" time could u even spend with your father while he is behind the wheels and your mind is focused on the deals u got to attend for the day? undecided If he wants to spend more time with you, you can find other ways to grant him his wish without having him drive u around town.

Finally, if he is energetic , full of life and still wants to earn his keep, get him involved with something. If u can afford to give him 80, 000 bucks a month, I am sure u can afford to invest in a venture that will require his time and even expertise. The idea that he has to be your driver to show that he is still full of spunk is a load of bollocks.
how many nigerians will call their driver at 2.am? BTW, at 65 it's likely he sleeps less than you do. . .try another approach.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by chi21: 12:29am On Sep 27, 2010
You never know if your dad wishes is to be alone with his son so that he can get to know him better like father and son. And also he maybe rich. Been your driver will help him to tell things that you did not know about. Just give your dad a try out 62years is not yet old man.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by younme1: 12:34am On Sep 27, 2010
give the old man a try to be your driver my day is 76years and still working he is an engineer we have told him to stop working  but he does not want too.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by googles: 12:44am On Sep 27, 2010
lol. . . dats just unheard off

if it abt the bond they can bond in some ova ways but driving him around town is just not right undecided
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 27, 2010
googles:

lol. . . dats just unheard off
if it abt the bond they can bond in some ova ways but driving him around town is just not right undecided

Perhaps, but what if that's the choice he's made, to bond with his son? And why is it just not right - is it more about how others would perceive you, or there's some other underlying issue here? None of us know how much longer we have on earth. Supposing (God forbid) he's gone the following week? Wouldn't it be a shame, that his dying wish wasn't carried out, because of some social stigma that shouldn't have existed in the first instance?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 10:03am On Sep 27, 2010
I can just imagine the typical daily conversation;

Daddy did you clean this car this morning?

Dad can I have the receipt for the fuel you bought last week?

What kind of hopeless bonding are we talking about here, I have been living with him for over 20yrs and the little time I need to be on

on my own he wants to be closer to his son  undecided

I can call him everyday if he wants,I can get him a car to do cabby if he so desires.

There's no point in him driving his son around everyday,to me its a selfish request. The boy needs his freedom from his prying father abeg.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 27, 2010
If his father drove him around, it wouldn't dimisish the respect between them. Unless the son was the sort to insult and treat a regular driver. His father would still be his father, and he'd still call him dad.

A disrespectful son would be disrespectful to his father, regardless of any arrangement in place, if that's his natural disposition. Let's try not to see the worst case scenario.

I have no idea what the relationship is, or has been between the OP and his father. I also have no idea how healthy the father is. If my father made such a request of me, and I couldn't change his mind, then I'd probably assume there was a possibility he had an illness, that could well be serious / terminal, which he didn't want to tell me about, for fear of upsetting me. And this was his own way of spending whatever time he had left with me.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 10:30am On Sep 27, 2010
They say familiarity breeds contempt. The mutual respect would be downward spiral as drivers are privy to all the dealings of the boss.

Even, if he has terminal illness,the next thing is to be driving his son? I'd rather he upset me than drive me round the city loaded with such bad news.

The other siblings would hate him for subjecting their father to such ridiculous arrangement. If my father makes such request, I will snap it out of him.

Where would the son even sit in the car? Owner's corner?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2010
The son could sit anywhere he liked. Owner's corner, in this day and age? I feel we as Nigerians attach too much importance to status, or rather the lack of.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by netotse(m): 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2010
@denzel
when you drive you parents, do you sit in the owners corner?

sorry, i meant when you drive any one of your parents, will they choose to sit in the owners corner?
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2010
netotse:

@denzel
when you drive you parents, do you sit in the owners corner?

Chai see non-sense question.

Poster, do whatever you like.
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by netotse(m): 1:13pm On Sep 27, 2010
denzel2009:

Chai see non-sense question.

Poster, do whatever you like.

walahi me sef i just dey see am myself. . .but you know what i meant sha
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by denzel2009: 1:14pm On Sep 27, 2010
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy No
Re: He Want To Be My Driver by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 27, 2010

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Most Adulterous Countries In The World / Looking For A House Maid? / Senator Ahmad Sanni Yerima's 13 -year Old Wife Cries: Your Excellency, It Is Pai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.