Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,688 members, 7,951,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 05:34 AM

Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! (1040 Views)

Characteristics Of An E-attention Freak / What's The Worst Thing You've Ever Done Out Of Annoyance / You Have To Pick One:- Give You Head Or Go To Jail? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by hotangel2(f): 11:38pm On Jan 15, 2006
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name.

[url=http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance,+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?part=rss&tag=6022491&subj=news]click here to read further[/url]

What do you think about this? I can't stop laughing! cheesy

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by Seun(m): 3:47am On Jan 16, 2006
How are they going to trace you if you post anonymously contrary to the law? It's a good thing most of us live outside the US.
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by goodguy(m): 8:55pm On Jan 16, 2006
It is a good thing o grin
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by hotangel2(f): 8:57pm On Jan 16, 2006
How would you feel if the same law was passed in nigeria?
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by goodguy(m): 9:56pm On Jan 16, 2006
It would be partially okay, and partially not-okay because Nairaland would have been the only site whose administrator was thrown in Jail for annoying the members. grin
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by Advin(m): 9:59pm On Jan 16, 2006
trust Nigerians, we'll device another means of doing it, maybe with our nicknames.
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by hotangel2(f): 10:00pm On Jan 16, 2006
goodguy:

It would be partially okay, and partially not-okay because Nairaland would have been the only site whose administrator was thrown in Jail for annoying the members. grin

hehehehehe cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by Scorpio(f): 3:58am On Jan 17, 2006
yay!!!!!! i'm free cool
Re: Create An E-annoyance And Go To Jail! by Icon(m): 12:05pm On Feb 04, 2006
It'll be difficult to pass such a law in Nigeria. They'll only be able to trace to the ISP or cyber-cafe where the e-annoyance originated from. Any how many people visit cyber-cafes a day?

(1) (Reply)

Indescent Dressing In Universities / To Help And Be Help / How Do I Remove My Picture From My Profile

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.