Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,575 members, 7,921,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 07:41 PM

How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? (1924 Views)

How Goodluck Jonathan Transformed Nigeria's Airports - Pics / 10 Largest Airports In The World As Seen From Above / Rip-offs At Nigerian Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2010
I don't know how you people see this, but i think the corruption level in Nigeria even at the airports is a very major threat to air travel security. How often do we hear of some desperate Nigerians dribbling (or bribing off) security staff to get access to airplanes and conceal themselves in unsuitable compartments that would eventually cost them their lives? Let's be grateful that these pitiful people are only desperate to leave the country, but just imagine they had terrorist intentions, what would stop them from succeeding in planting bombs in parked aeroplanes?
Please, don't insult me if i suggest that Nigerians working as security officers at the airports be replaced with International security personnel because, our people are too corrupts minded, and i'm afraid they would accept bribes from even Al-Qaida men to access airplanes and kill innocent air travellers. This is terribly horrible.

* AND FOR THOSE SEEKING TO TRAVEL OUT OF NIGERIA BY ANY MEANS, LET ME USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO WARN YOU THAT IT IS AN EXTREMELY SILLY THING TO CONSIDER YOURSELF STAYING OUTSIDE AEROPLANE CABIN (THAT IS COMPRESSED WITH OXYGEN) AND EXPOSED TO ATMOSPHERE WITHOUT OXYGEN. TAKE A LOOK AT THE SKY AND OBSERVE THE CLOUD. YOU KNOW WHY THE CLOUDS ARE SUSPENDED AND HOOVERING ABOUT IN THAT ALTITUDE? NOW, THERE IS OXYGEN UNDER THE CLOUDS, BUT THERE IS LITTLE OR NO OXYGEN ABOVE IT. SO, TO THINK YOU CAN TRAVEL ABROAD HIDING IN A PLANE'S COMPARTMENT WITHOUT OXYGEN, IS MORE THAN A SUICIDE MISSION BECAUSE: AIRPLANES FLY HIGH ABOVE THE CLOUD WHERE THE AIR IS THIN AND LACKS OXYGEN, THEREFORE, YOU'LL BE KILLED OF CEREBRAL HYPOXIA (lack of oxygen to brain) OR HYPOTHERMIA (subnormal body temperature) IN A MATTER OF MINUTES

Note: Though, landing gears mechanism has the capability of crushing most foreign objects (like animal-birds) that might get stucked in it, but the body of a person whether dead or alive can jam the landing gear of a plane and cripple the aircraft: and that can cause a deadly crash
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by blapo(m): 1:20pm On Sep 22, 2010
It shows how dumb some people could be.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by wishlolia(f): 7:43pm On Sep 22, 2010
vic justice you just put fear into me. is the situation really that dangerous, can someone please tell if this is really possible i mean could terrorists find it easy to make use of naija airports? i understand that farouk mutallab departed from ghana and then amsterdam
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by ada24: 8:31pm On Sep 22, 2010
wishlolia:

vic justice you just put fear into me. is the situation really that dangerous, can someone please tell if this is really possible i mean could terrorists find it easy to make use of naija airports? i understand that farouk mutallab departed from ghana and then amsterdam

i think u will find he bought his ticket in ghana and left from lagos. don't shoot me if i'm wrong but from memory i think thats how it happened.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by wishlolia(f): 8:58am On Sep 23, 2010
ada24:

i think u will find he bought his ticket in ghana and left from lagos. don't shoot me if i'm wrong but from memory i think thats how it happened.
my bad, thanks for the correction. so does that really mean our airport is available to be used by terrorists, could the security men and women be bribed
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Mbeki: 9:19am On Sep 23, 2010
Vicjustice:

Please, don't insult me if i suggest that Nigerians working as security officers at the airports be replaced with International security personnel because, our people are too corrupts minded, and i'm afraid they would accept bribes from even Al-Qaida men to access airplanes and kill innocent air travellers. This is terribly horrible.
http://odili.net/news/source/2010/sep/21/225.html

We just hope and pray that it doesn't degenerate to that; but I bet you, some Nigerians are too corrupt that they'll accept bribes from Terrorist knowing fully well their deadly mission to waste lives; to such Nigerians, it's their turn to hammer (maker real money) they don't care if it results to loss of innocent lives so long as they go home with some money.

When you land at MMA in Lagos, you need to see the embarrassing and shameful ways which both the security personnel and the hangabouts in the airport demand for money out-rightly or covertly from returnees, these sort of people will not blink an eyelid aiding terrorist to achieve their aims.
I strongly support they should be replaced with foreign personnel angry angry angry
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 11:17am On Sep 23, 2010
I understand that the security and immigration officers at MMA do accept bribes to allow travellers with fake or inappropriate documents obtain boarding pass and gain access to planes. is this correct?
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Mbeki: 12:37pm On Sep 23, 2010
Vicjustice:

I understand that the security and immigration officers at MMA do accept bribes to allow travellers with fake or inappropriate documents obtain boarding pass and gain access to planes. is this correct?
More than correct, but ask the immigration department, they'll deny it.

It's so bad that some of them don't even know the exchange rates of most currencies, just flash Euro or Dollar at them, and they are at your bet and call.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 23, 2010
This is a very interesting topic you've posted here, Vic.

It's very possible for unauthorised persons to conceal themselves / explosives within the undercarriage of a parked aircraft. Of course, this can only be done with the help of the security staff. They may not necessarily indicate they intend to destroy the aircraft, they may merely state they intend to travel without the relevant documents. A person hell bent on suicide wouldn't care if he / she was too big to fit within the wheel wells, and he / she would be crushed when the wheels retracted into the belly of the fuselage upon take-off. Or the unpleasant sensation of suffocating from lack of oxygen above 20,000 feet.

The carnage that would occur if an explosive device ripped through the fuselage, especially the wheel wells under the wings where the side fuel tanks are doesn't bear thinking of. So yes, our corrupt security agents on the ground are hugely responsible for the safety of thousands of lives daily. And that's where changes need to be made, security agents that are well paid, and who's integrity are unquestionable, i.e beyond reproach. Not the hungry, ill-paid staff who would sell their mothers for $50.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2010
Siena, it's frightening enough to be travelling in a massive object flying at 35000 ft at a speed of 900km/h how much more to think of the possibility of some bombs planted in the flying object. Man, this is horrible, and to imagine that security men could be paid off to allow unauthorised persons gain access to a grounded airplanes is disturbing.
I wonder whether this issue is being raised before the Nigerian authority, or don't they fear for their own safety?
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 23, 2010
I should imagine the NAA is aware, whether they'd admit to it is another thing. I'd say no.

Vic, you still in Dublin? Please get in touch with me via YIM when you get some spare time.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 11:27pm On Sep 23, 2010
Oh, Siena! Congratulations!!!
   I actually checked your profile to see if your YIM is displayed, and i saw some beautiful photo in it: You look a very happy family, and may it remain so.
   Actually, i left Dublin since last year, i'm currently residing in Co Kerry, the South/West of Ireland, it's calm and very natural here. I'll be going to Riga, Latvia on Saturday.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by AjanleKoko: 6:13am On Sep 26, 2010
Well, ironically, nobody has ever tried to plant explosives on a plane leaving from Nigeria, thank goodness. And by the way guys, aircraft safety is not entirely dependent on the airport personnel, but to a larger extent on the airline ground staff. Arik should be taken to task on this one as well, as their ground crews should run pre-flight inspections to forestall incidents of this nature.
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 11:17am On Mar 07, 2012
I just read the below (quoted) post regarding a "madman" who elude airport security and gained access to airplane tarmac, and i thought of the need to resurrect this thread:
stepo707:

A man suspected to be suffering from mental problem was overpowered Monday, by passengers after he had gained access to the most secure part of the international terminal, the airside, at the Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos.

The man was said to have vandalised the boarding gate at the airport and gained access to the tarmac with the intention of boarding an aircraft to Europe.

THISDAY gathered that on getting into the tarmac, the man, whose identity could not be ascertained, shouted, "I want to go abroad; I want to go to Europe. Please give way for me to go."

His screaming caused stampede at the tarmac such that intending passengers feared the man was a terrorist and some of them began to scamper out of the area around the lunatic. But some of the courageous passengers approached him and others went to call security operatives who promptly apprehended him and took him away.

From his bevahiour, his dressing and knack of breaking through barricades, instead of following the right place, prompted many to believe that the man was insane.

This was later confirmed by those who got close to him. The General Manager, public affairs of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Akin Olukunle, who confirmed the incident in a telephone interview said the mad man had been arrested and handed over to the police for interrogation.

Olukunle stated that if it were established that the 'passenger' was mentally challenged, the police would take him to the rehabilitation centre for treatment.

"The arrested person was a lunatic who, wanted to travel out of the country by all means. But, he was immediately overpowered by the security operatives attached to the airport. After investigation, and if confirmed he was mad, he would be taken to a rehabilitation centre," Olukunle explained.

Kai! Even mad man self don tire for Naija!!!

http://allafrica.com/stories/201203060070.html

Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Vicjustice: 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2013
This is in reference to the recent development in about the teenager's incident
Re: How Safe Are Planes departing From Nigerian Airports? by Godson201333(m): 4:41pm On Aug 29, 2013
That is Nigeria plus corruption..

(1) (Reply)

For Those Looking To Japa- You Need To See This / Has Anybody Been To Ghana Of Recent? This Month Esp. / Portuguese Visa Appointment In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.