Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,024 members, 7,883,542 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 12:26 PM

Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? (78104 Views)

Which Country Can I Move To Legally With ₦10M? / After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by anonimi: 7:16am On May 14, 2019
hrykanu231:
How about you tell him to come back to Nigeria, isn't Baba making it better again?
One would have expected you to launder the image of the present administration (ease of doing business, rails, gd roads etc) in a post like this.

He can't because this is the moment of truth. Crunch time. grin

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by anonimi: 7:17am On May 14, 2019
Komu1048:
Well-done all of una always quick to preach self-love agenda. Selfish people everywhere do u know the sacrifice those people made for him before going there so he should ignore all hands that have help him for self-finance abi

So he should help them forever
Did you read where I said about pushing a car to start?
What problem do you have with everyone living within (below is even better) their earned income as the whites do? Do you have a problem with that?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5004340_fbimg1489440757314_jpeg6d2faa282776090b2551dd4c064c34a8

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Maicon2019(m): 7:18am On May 14, 2019
Best of Luck braaa !
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Maicon2019(m): 7:19am On May 14, 2019
Best of Luck Braa !
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by livebullet(m): 7:22am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
My reservations about moving to the UK

- I hate being at the mercy of others. Going to the UK on a spousal permit means losing my German residency and I'll be at her mercy. As should anything go wrong with the relationship , I'll have to leave the UK.

- Getting a professional job. It doesn't make sense to go to the UK and continue to be trapped in menial jobs. I have been there and I hardly see Nigerians in professional jobs except those with rich parents. Someone should advice me on that as it could not be a real reflection.

My Reservations about Nigeria

- High rate of startup failure
- Difficulty in getting loans to expand. I have heard they can ask for even your neck in those times. With a lack of collateral, more difficult.

For those asking about my course, Yes it's a STEM degree.

Should i remain in heaven or relocate to hell?
Please answer yourself
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by THUNDER4real(m): 7:27am On May 14, 2019
Suspect33:
What ever you do, don't think of coming back to Nigeria, investors are running away, even the elite are migrating to Canada, now tell me what's in store for you, be wise!
Best advice on this thread. Us are thinking of running away, Op is thinking of coming back.

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Glorylynn: 7:30am On May 14, 2019
Bro I am also in Germany and all I can say about your situation is that your village people are calling you at home.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Okuda(m): 7:31am On May 14, 2019
omobaba1759:
OP MAYBE YOU'RE JUST HOME SICK, IT HAPPENS. YOU MAYBE MISS THAT NAIJA FOOD THAT sweetens YOUR SOUL OR THE GIRLS, NIGHTLIFE OR OTHER. IF NOT, FROM WHAT YOU POSTED SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE NOT FROM THOSE TOP RICH FAMILY IN NIGERIA FOR EVERYONE TO BE LOOKING UP TO AS THE BREADWINNER. I WILL WANT YOU TO PUT TWO THINGS IN CONSIDERATION , IT'S NOT A BAD THING TO BE AMBITIOUS IN LIFE BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WHAT'S THE REASON OF YOUR TRAVELLING TO GERMANY TO STUDY IN THE FIRST PLACE EVEN IF IT'S YOUR PARENT THAT SPONSOR YOU THEY HAVE THEIR REASON WHY THEY SPONSOR YOU THERE FOR YOU TO HAVE GOOD LIFE. YOU CAN'T EVEN HUSTLE OVER THERE IN GERMANY TALKLESS OF COMING TO NIGERIA WHICH IS A JUNGLE COUNTRY WHERE THERE'S NO JOY. WHEN THEY SMELL MONEY ON YOU, THEY'LL BE THINKING OF A WAY TO MILK YOU TO YOUR LAST KOBO AFTER THAT THEY WILL STILL MOCK YOU THAT YOU'RE JAYJAY C, JOHNIE JUST COME AND MANY NAMES THEY GIVE FAILURES. MY BROTHER I'LL ADVICE YOU START DOING ANY JOB YOU THAT CAN KEEP YOU GOING TILL BETTER OFFER COME UP OR YOU SAVE UP AND MIGRATE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. DON'T COME NAIJA. EVEN ME THAT'S TALKING SELF AM PLANNING ON LEAVING THIS COUNTRY CONSIDERING DUBAI FOR NOW JUST TO SAVE MONEY AND MIGRATE TO A BETTER COUNTRY.

I HOPE I MAKE SENSE

il advice you like il do my brother. do not travel to Dubai to hustle . You are better off in Nigeria than there.
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Sashafm(f): 7:32am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?
I will advice you not to marry the girl if you feel you dont want to. Thats the beginning of a failed marriage.
What you should however do is to stay in Germany and apply for the Canada PR , write your ielts and get set a 6 months timeline. With the Canadian PR you can get a professional job and live your dream life.You are 25, young with so much prospect ahead of you. Dont flint it by coming back to this country and dont get caught up in a marriage you don't want.I dont normally give advice but I had to say this one. Dont make a mistake you will regret all your life. There is nothing here for you in this country and don't get tied up YET!!!!!�

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by THUNDER4real(m): 7:33am On May 14, 2019
nwimo22:
You are looking for a country to harness your skills and Nigeria came to your thought? Please pray against such thought.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Okuda(m): 7:34am On May 14, 2019
darkelf:

Gbam. He has given himself excuses to fail before even trying. The same Canada my pharmacist colleague emigrated to and is doing well.

how do you know he is doing well?

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Basalt(m): 7:34am On May 14, 2019
justwise:

So you really believed that all Nigerians living abroad are doing menial jobs?

Haba, he said many not all

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Sashafm(f): 7:35am On May 14, 2019
[quote author=ShyWhale post=78364971]I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

I made the decision to return to Nigeria, harness my skills and start up a processing company. At 25 and the sole breadwinner of an extended family, they are asking me to stay put, saying that the Nigerian environment is not good for business (I feel they are only scared of losing out on the goodies they get from me).

Also last year, the family introduced me to a female in the UK, talking about marriage to her. The said lady is a Nigerian within my age range, but born and raised in the UK. Though I have been to the UK severally to see her, I have made no commitments whatsoever as she is not the kind of lady I would marry all things being equal. She and the family have however given me a ultimatum to decide now.

What do you advice?

I will advice you not to marry the girl if you feel you dont want to. Thats the beginning of a failed marriage.
What you should however do is to stay in Germany and apply for the Canada PR , write your ielts and get set a 6 months timeline. With the Canadian PR you can get a professional job and live your dream life.You are 25, young with so much prospect ahead of you. Dont flint it by coming back to this country and dont get caught up in a marriage you don't want.I dont normally give advice but I had to say this one. Dont make a mistake you will regret all your life. There is nothing here for you in this country and don't get tied up YET!!!!!�

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Iwanttoto1: 7:36am On May 14, 2019
E be likes says village pepuls now done sabi use Internet to call pepuls to returns home.

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Infomaz(m): 7:36am On May 14, 2019
Stick to your vision... I assume you've a vision of what you want to do with your life . Don't let anyone pressurise you into marrying a woman you don't love. Two can only walk together if they agree. When you eventually marry, make sure the person share your vision or passion. I'm surprised at the ultimate they gave you. It's totally wrong and unacceptable.

As for relocating to Nigeria, it depends on if you're determined to weather the difficulty. Poor power supply and infrastructure as well as access to finance. I will advice you have your own funds.

Make sure you have a detailed and realistic business plan. Keep in mind that you are not likely to break even in the first two years... How will you cope?

That said, Nigeria is a land of green opportunities. Returns on investment are fantastic if you can survive the harsh beginning.

That said, make sure you have a backup plan.

I advice you visit, spend some time and have a feel of what you're coming in for, before deciding.

The choice is yours.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by ehissi(m): 7:37am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:
I am a Nigerian in Germany with a German Masters degree. It's quite difficult to get professional jobs in Germany as an African as we are usually the last of the pack. The only luck I ever had was to get internships, internships that takes several months to get and usually only for short periods. The high percentage of Africans even with German Phds doing menial jobs is highly discouraging and depressing. Most are trapped in the race for survival and I can't imagine myself living life like them. I feel I could do better with my skills and education that spreads across Europe's top countries.

What do you advice?

Questions? Masters degree in what? Masters degree from where? What career line are you seeking to pursue? How is your sprache - are you fluent in the german tongue? Have you considered other european countries?
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Kurumaru: 7:39am On May 14, 2019
Last Last, street Boys go Everly dey alright, cos our expectations aren't too high.. Whether u clean toilets, wash plates etc.. Just make Dat shedders alongside a long term plan

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by ehissi(m): 7:41am On May 14, 2019
hrykanu231:

How about you tell him to come back to Nigeria, isn't Baba making it better again?
One would have expected you to launder the image of the present administration (ease of doing business, rails, gd roads etc) in a post like this.
Make the guy come back, come get the rudest shock of e life? sad angry

E fit use frustration kill am by mistake..... grin
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by mechanics(m): 7:43am On May 14, 2019
You should decide for yourself, since you have tasted both life here and over there, then you should know which is better but you should know that you can't run away from home.
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Roon9(m): 7:45am On May 14, 2019
iammo:
cool

Stay in Germany, till You can sort a better country... Australia, Canada even Uk if you can get a job.., little money you get from menial jobs you get could be channeled into trying other countries skilled migration programs.

That extreme urge you have about Coming to Nigeria, is the work of demons, should you come back without the support of your Family, chaiiiiii you would regret regreting it

As in bros... I have never heard such statements in recent years.

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by kennyyanki: 7:46am On May 14, 2019
My take is follow your dream of investing in Nigeria but be sure that you may not find things easy at initial stage but with determination you will definitely make it however u can still use the little time u have to stay legally in Germany to do those menial jobs to get some money.sincerely speaking, Nigerian business environment is quite challenging and involve a lot of politicking so be prepare l wish you all the beste
ShyWhale:

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by hesilo(m): 7:46am On May 14, 2019
deltateam:

Unless you want to come back to Nigeria and follow us and be playing , O2.5, 1X etc

That's the empowerment our government gave us.

No steady power to run a business, no loan except few that were given #10000 during campaign.
kee me, just kee me grin grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Kurumaru: 7:46am On May 14, 2019
fullofgrace:
No place like Home.
If u have have wat it takes to invest in Nigeria
Y not visit nd start to survey the environment nd see wat u can be able to offer nd get in returns.
Bro be wise, u are running out of age nd time
Some of ur mates are doing well in Nigeria
In times of business import nd export
Building duplex, investing on lands
Building plazas nd renting it out.
Dont waste ur time in Germany ��
Only u knows wat u need.
Thank u bro!
Omoooo!!! see Wisdom, "build duplex, build plaza" ehn ehn! No worry by the time almighty LASBCA jam u once ehn u go get sense.. Shioor

3 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Smile4daddy(m): 7:47am On May 14, 2019
Come back home and go to your state of origin gather some of the youth and buy beer for them to gain some popularity/creating awareness till 2023.

Asking them to drink beer and bear things with you till 2023.

2023 you get Rep or Senate ticket. No need campaigning just look for money to settle Jagaban and Oshiomhole that's all.

Then come and thank me after your 8 years of stealing Nigeria's money in office.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by oneolajire(m): 7:49am On May 14, 2019
Guy try this career path if you can. It has abundant job opportunities in developed countries. It is called Non- destructive testing. Google NDT jobs in Canada, Saudi, US etc. Try professional NDT training centres like training centres like Trinity NDT (trinityndt.com -google it). 

If you want to know more about NDT‎, send me a msg.

Otherwise complete your PhD program over there. I don't advice coming to Nig, I am even seeking for means to practice NDT in Canada.   ‎

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by blackengineerr: 7:53am On May 14, 2019
Dear Writer,

I completed my master's degree in Germany and also completed 4 internships back to back. Of course resettling in a new country is not an easy process but do not make it look like Germany is so hard - No. I am currently in my second job as a chemical engineer with a chemical company here and of course it was not an easy ride getting the job but eventually I landed the job.
I have a few questions for you?
- Do you speak basic german at least?
- How many career fairs did you attend?
- Did you make effort to improve on the local language?
- What did you study? How is the market in that branch of industry?

It is easy to make it look like Germany is a no-go for professionals but there are many and I mean many Africans working in industry all over the country. Find out how the Cameroonians have made lasting success in the country professionally. Go on Linkedin and see the many Africans in industry here. It would require a lot of work but that is the situation as a foreigner trying to integrate in a new system - be it UK or Germany or US. I mean your master's degree cost you nothing in comparison to what you would have had to pay in US, Canada or UK for the same course you did. Keep trying and applying; and if you have to stay in Germany do try to learn some german.

If you do not connect with the lady in UK, do not subscribe to that marriage. Your misery could triple if you have to share an apartment with someone you have no chemistry with and then being bossed around because she saved you by marrying you...just a friendly advice. Goodluck!

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Clefayomide: 7:58am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

This life ehn. We've got Nigerian students from Canada come to Germany because of lack of skilled opportunities. They say there is discrimination on lack of Canadian degrees and Canadian experience. Also, honest reviews from Quora don't help. It seems many skilled migrants in Canada are also trapped in these same unskilled jobs.

I would have gone to Canada long ago if not for that. I felt the money to be wasted on the processing of the Canadian PR to go get unskilled jobs could be better channelled to my business projects in Nigeria.

If you channel dsame amount of internships u did in Germany to that of canada, you're a step on getting the Canadian experience. And about Canadian degree, getting a Canadian degree shouldn't be a bad option, be it masters program, don't look at the time it's going to take but instead look at the benefit that lies ahead. During the program, try taking internship jobs just to get the Canadian experience and to be able to integrate yourself into d Canadian work system. Keep thriving!!!
Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by Kurumaru: 8:01am On May 14, 2019
tizzdi:
angry I didn’t even read what u wrote sef..only.d topic is enough to get me angry
The OP is still very young, with minimal street OT/experience in Nigeria I guess.. Majorly I think most people whose complaints are similar to the Op's are people from the average or a bit average homes and not the extremely rich homes, their families can only push them that far, then they become hungry for more, not knowing what is down beneath them..
@ OP, u can make it big in Naija, but also prepare for the worst...

1 Like

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by dhensity: 8:03am On May 14, 2019
truthsayer009:
Is this story true?

Because lots of people claim to be living great Lives in Germany after school and flourishing.

After spending around 500+ Euros per month for 2 years+, you now say No job for you.

HOW?

Anyway: my advise

Marry her please, It's not a must that a Man must be the bread winner. Besides you can become great in the nearest future.

& do it on time before she changes her mind.

I came back to Nigeria and I am regretting it. Better stay put.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? by naijaobi(m): 8:05am On May 14, 2019
ShyWhale:

I didn't say no job. I said lack of getting professional jobs.

Some people, Yes maybe, especially if you studied IT. A very large majority is trapped in menial jobs, not even full-time ones, the ones you get with unskilled employment agencies. Even with PhDs and all that. I wouldn't call that a great life. But to some people, it is. You have to understand perspectives.

I have a female Nigerian here who is employed with an agency and goes to clean people's home. She is quite happy and considers it a great opportunity considering that sometimes she joins the family on dinner outings and get gifts. It's great for her but not for me. I wouldn even accept something like that as I think It's no less than being a maid

Will you be able to survive in Germany, Yes. If you're someone with a big dream, I'll say difficult.

In Germany: Germans> EU nationals>US>Eastern Europe >Asians>Indians/Paki etc >Africans. That's the order of getting professional jobs.

You are a liar...

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (26) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit Reacts To The Accident That Killed "18" Passengers / Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA / See The Odd Side Of Living In Canada: Nigerian Lady Experience: PICS & VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.