Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,287 members, 7,881,069 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:50 AM

One Of The Hens Is Really A Rooster – Dinner Time - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / One Of The Hens Is Really A Rooster – Dinner Time (287 Views)

HELP! My ISA Brown Hens Are Laying Averagely / Getting Eggs From Hens: Do You Need A Rooster? / Noiler Rooster For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Hens Is Really A Rooster – Dinner Time by atnerjennac24(f): 9:57am On May 17, 2019
Well, the title says it all. The very spunky “hen”, which we thought was able to crow, is indeed a rooster. I admit I hadn’t been looking closely at the chickens lately, as grandpa has been taking care of them. After my wife told me that the “hen” was crowing for three hours a couple days ago, I figured I’d look and make sure we didn’t have a rooster. When I checked the smaller coop, there was a very good looking young rooster looking back at me.

Unfortunately, a rooster is a very bad idea where we live. Pretty sure city ordinances don’t allow roosters and to be honest, the ordinances about chickens make it very difficult to have a coop that is actually legal, given the lot sizes here. So the rooster had to go. I don’t want any neighbors calling on us and spoiling our fun.

The Sacrifice

I figured that it would be better to turn one rooster into a roaster than to have five chickens sitting in my freezer. So I did what I had to do, and got ready to kill the bird. Now, for people living in the country, I’m sure that killing a chicken is just the way it is. It’s a bit weird for a city-slicker, though. However, with grandpa’s instruction, I killed the rooster, then plucked the feathers and cleaned it. Let me just say that getting all those feathers out is a big pain.

Dinner Time – Chicken Soup

Since it was a smallish bird and pretty muscular, I made soup with it. I had been told the meat would be tasty, but would also be tougher than a store-bought chicken. Cooking it for almost 3 hours to make soup fixed this. The chicken was falling apart when it was all done. And I have to say, that the soup was very, very tasty.
=====
more at:
The Elliott Homestead
morninghomestead.com/chicken

(1) (Reply)

FG Opens Emergency Phone Line For Farmers / Buy Agricultural Sacks And Carton Boxes / Online Webinar On Fish Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.