Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,402 members, 7,881,463 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:17 PM

Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo (10289 Views)

Obi Vs Tinubu, Shettima: Presidential Elections Tribunal Reserves Judgement / Full Report Of Peter Obi & Labour Party's Petition To Elections Tribunal / APC: Tinubu Got The Message By Oke Umurhohwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by kunleweb: 8:56am On May 22, 2019
stalyf:

Thank you sir. Please share the criticism. It's one major way to check myself

Please start considering editorial so few ordinary sentences can be refined to bring it some notch higher. We want our geniuses to be purely genius. So I'm in support for refinement of some sentences using higher tenses.

I. E PDP and Atiku claimed the election was not done right could be better put this way. The opposition claimed the electoral process wasnt conducted in the right spirit.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Chinashopping84: 8:59am On May 22, 2019
Government has now turned to family business...we pay your Chinese suppliers directly..
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by chrisxxx(m): 8:59am On May 22, 2019
Ultimatezlant:
Okechukwu as usual yet they would tell you they don't give a damn about Nigeria politics.

How I wish they had brain to decipher that the justice is only a chairman of the panel and have just one judgement alongside are fellow justices on the panel.

At the end of the day a case that is solid need not to be panicked about cos you can easily get 3 in 5 justices
When the position of the chairman is known already before hearing?
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by bestgamer: 9:02am On May 22, 2019
Dannyset:
The bad losers are at it again. Always crying like babies even when the breast is in their mouth.

These town criers have forgotten so soon that Mary Odilli was among the panel that gave judgment on the dollar man ex-CJN case and she's the only one that gave contrary judgment in support of the man. She wasn't asked to step aside despite her glaring corrupt ties with the ex-CJN. She has been in the Supreme Court presiding and giving judgment over PDP cases and no one has asked her to step aside.

The dead party is just looking for excuses knowing they have a shaky case hinged on one imaginary server that can't serve any purpose.

Anyways, I'm happy PDP is now suffering from the same monster they created, and the suffering is going to be a long one.

ha! this is too much for some people; sebi na stone they threw at you and you are firing gun at them.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Dannyset(m): 9:07am On May 22, 2019
Skirmishes:

It seems you dont know the enormous power of an appeal court president than an ordinary judge headin a panel..

So why is the President not presiding over the case alone since they have enormous power. Why then do we need other members in the panel to oversee the case since the President has all the powers.

You guys just make case for what makes you sleep well.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by rottennaija(m): 9:09am On May 22, 2019
jchioma:

How is it one sided? Are you aware that she is a person of interest in the matter and ought to excuse herself from the case?

One sided because the author does not mention the wife's or husband of pdp persons that sits on APC or PDP related cases.

Example are wives of Wike and Odili.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Xisnin(m): 9:10am On May 22, 2019
rusher14:
What of Justice Odili?
Odili is not the president of a panel, president of the court of appeal or the chief justice.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Dannyset(m): 9:11am On May 22, 2019
bestgamer:

ha! this is too much for some people; sebi na stone they threw at you and you are firing gun at them.

If someone pelt you with a stone and you respond in kind, you don't know what the person has in the second hand. Let the person know you always will respond with double.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by indigenous234(f): 9:14am On May 22, 2019
Ultimatezlant:
Okechukwu as usual yet they would tell you they don't give a damn about Nigeria politics.

How I wish they had brain to decipher that the justice is only a chairman of the panel and have just one judgement alongside are fellow justices on the panel.

At the end of the day a case that is solid need not to be panicked about cos you can easily get 3 in 5 justices

Pathetic brainlessness.. ..

Some mothers do have them.....
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by rusher14: 9:29am On May 22, 2019
Xisnin:

Odili is not the president of a panel, president of the court of appeal or the chief justice.

Therefore her views have no weight abi?
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by TeraHawks: 9:30am On May 22, 2019
What manner of foolishness is this?

Is Odili on an election tribunal panel in a case against her husband's party?

I weep for this country if this is the mentality of her citizenry.

rusher14:
What of Justice Odili?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by ClearFlair: 9:31am On May 22, 2019
OEPHIUS:

A pattern is obviously playing out in Nigeria and that is conflict of interest, which has put the integrity of government institutions to question. We have seen it with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and now, the presidential elections petition tribunal.

In the build up to the 2019 general elections, there were a lot of questions on whether a National Commissioner of INEC, Amina Zakari, should be involve in the conduct of the election. Many had doubted her impartiality given her blood tie to President Muhammadu Buhari, who was on the ballot for re-election, strengthening call for her to recuse herself from the process.

But neither Zakari or her employer heeded those calls, putting the credibility of the election on trial. Questions of credibility thrown at the electoral umpire by opposition parties and concerned Nigerians have made it difficult for the outcome of the results to be generally accepted.

Similar question abound now that the outcome of the election is being subjected to litigation. It is no other but the raging controversy on the composition of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal, which has the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa as the chairman of the five-man panel.

Justice Bulkachuwa had arose expectations on the panel to serve fairness when she declared in the inaugural sitting of tribunal that "the Court of Appeal will work in accordance and within the dictates of the constitution, the law and international best practices, to dispense justice to all, without fear or favour, affection or ill will”.

But in another breadth, she observed that "Elections are held every in Nigeria every four years into elective position. No matter how well the election is conducted, there are bound to be complaint(s)."

Predictably, the observation of Justice Bulkachuwa pitched her against the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who questioned her impartiality and asked her to recuse herself from the panel. In a letter to justify its call, the national Chairman of the PDP, Uche Secondus, rallied the fear of PDP to get justice from the Bulkachuwa led panel considering that "your dear husband, Hon. Adamu Mohammed Bulkachuwa, contested for February 23, 2019 election for the position of a Senatorial role in Bauchi North Senatorial district and won same on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC)."

That was a valid observation that put trust on trial and integrity of the panel under public scrutiny. It's a general expectation that judges must be an umpire– a neutral and impartial arbiter who favours no political party, litigant or policy. But when this sort principle is abandoned– for instance, a judge observing that "no matter how well an election is conducted" before a trial starts– is obviously improper.

It send a wrong signal that justice may not be within reach and that is dangerous. Even before taking a look at the merit or otherwise of the petition filed against the election outcome, Justice Bulkachuwa tone in her address seemed like a first step toward compromise.

PDP and its presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar were convinced that the election was not conducted well and that the return made by INEC was unjustified, hence, their petition before the court. That was the right thing to do. That is the most acceptable route in a democracy but the faith in that approach can only be sustained if the arbiter does not presume the intent of petitions.

Judges are like every other human and as such, have ties and affinity. From their immediate family to mutual friends– ex-school mates or social acquaintance, there will always be interest. In some instances, it could be surreptitious political interest, financial exchange and even mutual investment interests that could constitute bias for a judge.

These are realities that can't be entirely discarded. However, when such relationships do create a perception of bias, a judge is duty-bound to take their hands of such case. That has been the call for Justice Bulkachuwa to recuse herself from the panel that would determine the petition that arise from the last presidential election.

From the details available, Justice Bulkachuwa marriage to an APC chieftain, who is now a senator-elect on the platform of the APC, is enough ground for compromise. This is deepened by the fact that the learned justice faith makes her submissive to her husband and this may decisively weigh on her opinion and decision on the dispute.

This fear was captured in PDP’s letter to Justice Bulkachuwa on the need for her to excuse herself from the panel by noting that "it would be impossible for your lordship to convince any reasonable man that your dear husband never discussed this petition, which he is patiently interested in its outcome with you, throughout the trial." That is the doubt agitating the minds of many interested Nigerians and unfortunately, Justice Bulkachuwa cannot entirely clear that mistrust.

Compounding the mistrust, is the revelation that Aliyu Haidar Abubakar, a biological son of Justice Bulkachuwa campaigned for President Buhari in the election that is being contested before the panel she head. PDP had made the disclosure in a motion to push for Justice Bulkachuwa withdrawal from the panel, pointing out that her (Bulkachuwa) biological son, Aliyu Haidar Abubakar is a card-carrying member of the 3rd respondent (APC) and he contested the governorship primary election of the 3rd respondent in Gombe State." The party went on provide Facebook page and pictures to support it claims.

Without doubt, available details are not assuring of an impartial arbiter. And if the maxim of he who comes to equity must come with clean hands, Justice Bulkachuwa should step down from the panel without any further delay. The petition before the panel is a delicate one as it will preface the future of Nigeria and a legal precedence for years to come. It would therefore be a grave injury to our democracy and setback to many who considers judiciary as the last hope of the hopeless due to conflict of interest.

Oke Umurhohwo is a Political Analyst and Strategist. He tweets via @OkeStalyf and can be reached via oke.umu@gmail.com

https://thepunditng.com/presidential-elections-petition-tribunal-like-zakari-like-bulkachuwa-by-oke-umurhohwo/

Story story...as long as people like Atiku are far from power, Nigeria has hope.

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Nobody: 9:34am On May 22, 2019
seanfer:

Odili married to a PDP chieftain and She has been sitting on matters that concern PDP in the supreme court and nobody has ever asked her to resign

Waooo,then it's pay back time.
Do me,I do u.God no vexien

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Xisnin(m): 9:37am On May 22, 2019
rusher14:

Therefore her views have no weight abi?
Her views don't matter since she is just one person, all judges have their own view.
But when a biased judge is in charge of selecting panel members
and preparing lead judgment, then there is fire on the mountain.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by seanfer(m): 9:39am On May 22, 2019
danjumakolo:

Waooo,then it's pay back time.
Do me,I do u.God no vexien

Even the APC case involving Magnus Abe VS Tonye Cole both are from rivers state where Mary Odili's husband is a chieftain of PDP.... Mary Odili was among the panel and Her ruling was in favour of Magnus Abe who is sponsored by the PDP led State government in rivers state....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by seanfer(m): 9:41am On May 22, 2019
TeraHawks:

Mary Odili was among the Panel of justices that sat on the Zamfara governorship case at the supreme court.. Yari (APC) vs Shinkafi (PDP). and she was the one that gave minority judgement in favour of PDP.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Udoskybest: 9:45am On May 22, 2019
rottennaija:
This article is obviously one-sided

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by rusher14: 9:48am On May 22, 2019
TeraHawks:

Zelda.
She's been on countless occasions.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by toolovely(m): 9:49am On May 22, 2019
Ultimatezlant:

and you that have akam brain dont know that yorubas also bear oke and does the surname sound igbo to you.

with your akamu brain you dont know that she single-handedly picked the members of the panel.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by frankmoney(m): 10:08am On May 22, 2019
TeraHawks:

wike vs dakuku , abe vs Tony Cole ( Abe was mainly backed by pdp) , zamfara case
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by stalyf(m): 11:02am On May 22, 2019
kunleweb:

Please start considering editorial so few ordinary sentences can be refined to bring it some notch higher. We want our geniuses to be purely genius. So I'm in support for refinement of some sentences using higher tenses.

I. E PDP and Atiku claimed the election was not done right could be better put this way. The opposition claimed the electoral process wasnt conducted in the right spirit.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I appreciate. But who would be editing for me?

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by kunleweb: 11:05am On May 22, 2019
stalyf:

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I appreciate. But who would be editing for me?

Please hire me to provide free editing, para phrasing and editing of your works. We should push our brilliant minds forward. We can also discuss getting established as a brand aka blog with time..

1 Like

Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by Stanbaba30: 11:58am On May 22, 2019
Dannyset:
The bad losers are at it again. Always crying like babies even when the breast is in their mouth.

These town criers have forgotten so soon that Mary Odilli was among the panel that gave judgment on the dollar man ex-CJN case and she's the only one that gave contrary judgment in support of the man. She wasn't asked to step aside despite her glaring corrupt ties with the ex-CJN. She has been in the Supreme Court presiding and giving judgment over PDP cases and no one has asked her to step aside.

The dead party is just looking for excuses knowing they have a shaky case hinged on one imaginary server that can't serve any purpose.

Anyways, I'm happy PDP is now suffering from the same monster they created, and the suffering is going to be a long one.
Unfortunately you sound 'sadder' even in your rhetorical joy of being an APC supporter. Don't bother, in no distance time you will be crying against the same present government I guess you voted for.
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by mrnigerdelta: 12:15pm On May 22, 2019
idiots supporting APC with all their evils
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by desmond2pk: 1:11pm On May 22, 2019
Ultimatezlant:

Okechukwu ke! Not every oke is okechukwu. Lol
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by stalyf(m): 10:10pm On May 22, 2019
kunleweb:

Please hire me to provide free editing, para phrasing and editing of your works. We should push our brilliant minds forward. We can also discuss getting established as a brand aka blog with time..

Would have loved to.. But the funds
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by kunleweb: 10:13pm On May 22, 2019
stalyf:

Would have loved to.. But the funds

I'll guide you. You don't need too much, you just need to start right and start from where you are. And begin to curate more articles
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by stalyf(m): 12:58pm On May 24, 2019
kunleweb:

I'll guide you. You don't need too much, you just need to start right and start from where you are. And begin to curate more articles

Okay, would send a mail
Re: Presidential Elections Tribunal: Like Zakari, Like Bulkachuwa By Oke Umurhohwo by booksrite(f): 3:46am On Jun 29, 2019
Mary Odili was among the Panel of justices that sat on the Zamfara governorship case at the supreme court.. Yari (APC) vs Shinkafi (PDP). and she was the one that gave minority judgement in favour of PDP.

smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Political Predictions, Keyamo Tells Pastors / Aregbesola: I Can Never Leave Lagos And Lagos Can Never Leave Me / BREAKING: Nationwide Jubilation As Acting President Osinbajo Humbles Fashola,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.