Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,413 members, 7,929,294 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 12:19 PM

No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State (752 Views)

FRSC Official, Traffic Offender Crushed To Death In Ondo (Photos) / Pictures Of The Most Beautiful Local Govt. Headquarters In Nigeria,ikot Ekpene / Lagos Traffic Taskforce Begins Clampdown Against Traffic Offender (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by davodyguy: 6:54pm On May 23, 2019
Do you know that No Local Goverment official has the right to arrest any traffic offender in Lagos State? If you don't please read this thread.

Some time in 2013, I was on an assignment with a colleague around Herbert Macaulay Way in Yaba and my driver needed to turn to the other half of the road. We approached Sabo enroute from Adekunle and made the U turn in front Union Bank to the other side. Suddenly this guy appeared and entered the car, then led us to Mainland LGA HQ around that Panti area. We paid ₦13,000 Cash to release the Vehicle.

Since then, I'm sure many people would have fallen victim to these unscrupulous criminals.

When Ambode became governor, being a Local Government 'person' himself made the pronouncement that only LASTMA, VIO, Police and FRSC officials can make arrest for any road traffic offense, not Local government officials.

From then till date, I'm sure these illegal actions still persists.

Earlier today on my way from work, I listened to 'eye witness' report radio show on 99.3fm Nigeria info. Two callers narrated their separate ordeals.

The first caller said he parted with ₦30,000 to same Mainland LGA officials in 2019. The second caller said he lost ₦25,000 to Coker Aguda LCDA officials, just two weeks ago. Infact, he said he was told to make bank transfer by the local government officials to a certain companies account and not to the account of the LCDA. Before he did that, the 4 tyres were deflated and he paid ₦1000 per tyre to have them inflated.

Here's the thing.
Isn't this the same LCDA/LGA that are clamouring for autonomy? If given is this what they would be doing to Lagosians?

Please share your experience(s) with any of the 37LCDAs and 20 LGA officials that outsmarted you in the past.

I hope Mynd44, Lalasticlala and Mukina2 can put this on the homepage until it gets to the attention of Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Transportation, GM LASTMA and the incoming Governor Sanwo Olu
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 23, 2019
Crush dia legs with your car, wetin concern local government agbero with traffic violation. The only traffic enforcement guys i know are LASTMA, VIO, Police Traffic Officers and FRSC officials.
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by collinsfhk(m): 7:15pm On May 23, 2019
Well, conscious of the fact that they have no right to stop me, one of them jumped into my way some time ago and I ignored him and kept moving. He advised himself quickly
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by Oghenefegho(m): 8:08am On Jan 16, 2020
This is very said because we don't know which way forward. Yesterday I was driving on the igondo road and some group of local government tout stop me as said I change lane on the express and there were police on the road and lasma on the road these are uniform men and this guy's lued me to the ldca and collected 26500 from me. They even claim that the lagos state authority gave them power to impound vehicles. I would have been very rough with hem but I was late for work to I paid. I want to appeal to the Lagos government to look into this criminal act done by the ldca and help lagosians before this get out of hand. If you want to make them adhoc worker let's know them by uniform so we don't fall in the hand of thief.
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by Oghenefegho(m): 8:09am On Jan 16, 2020
This is very sad because we don't know which way forward. Yesterday I was driving along the igondo road and some group of local government tout stop me as said I change lane on the express and there were police on the road and lasma on the road these are uniform men and this guy's lued me to the ldca and collected 26500 from me. They even claim that the lagos state authority gave them power to impound vehicles. I would have been very rough with hem but I was late for work to I paid. I want to appeal to the Lagos government to look into this criminal act done by the ldca and help lagosians before this get out of hand. If you want to make them adhoc worker let's know them by uniform so we don't fall in the hand of thief.
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by Oghenefegho(m): 8:11am On Jan 16, 2020
Does local government officials have right to make arrest
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by Ttipsy(f): 11:59am On Jan 16, 2020
.....yea because local govt Ain't autonomous in Nigeria,,, they r also limited by states to carry out some duties
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by drmikeadams(m): 3:56pm On Jan 16, 2020
Oshodi,yaba,mushin ,dem dey worry for there
Re: No Local Govt Has The Right To Arrest Any Traffic Offender In Lagos State by mrsage(m): 3:48am On Jun 26, 2021
Still valid till date

(1) (Reply)

Man Seen Driving A Car With Three Tyres In Lagos (photos) / Short Skills/trainings, In Demand, To Acquire Before Moving To The US / Faulty Plane Spotted Smoking & Flying Below Normal Altitude In Ado-Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.