Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,063 members, 7,977,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 06:19 PM

How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? (1395 Views)

Goodyear Introduces Concept Tyre That Can Absorb Pollution On The Road / Is It Compulsory To Do Wheel Balancing And Alignment After Tyre Change / Is This Vehicle Rubber Tyre The Future Of Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by ogapelumi(m): 12:03pm On May 24, 2019
One of the causes of the accident on Nigeria roads is a bad tyre,
pls i will like to know how we can recognize a bad tyre especially a rethreaded tyre(reboiled) along with other specs to avoid accident. Some advice that those tyres with much yam are not good. pls enlighten us.
Re: How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by nurey(m): 9:45pm On May 24, 2019
Only trailer, caterpillar tyres get rethreaded using special equipment, rethreading an ordinary tyre should be highly visible

checking a brand new tyre

Remove the nylon wrapping, check the manufacturer date, it's engraving must concise with the rest of the body, a deformity in date means tyre was re-dated (sharp practice)

tyre surface must come with pointed rubber this is due to the additional rubber added during casting (I learned this from discovery channel how things are made)

The surface must be black and majorly comes with additional line colour.

A brand-new tyre bounces vigorously and maintain its shape when compressed.

Tokunbo tyre

please when buying used tyre forget about date, or any other outward appearance your first point of call is to put the tyre in-between your legs and use both hands to compress it and check the side walls for severe cracks and slash marks, cracks in tyre is like a human with HIV he no dey show for body, you will see fresh sturdy tyre with good looking threads but when you compress it, the cracks will be more than stretch marks for olosho body grin

Then next is to check the inside for hole covering by burning or severe rubber puncture fix.

Date because of FRSC

Then thread depth for grip etc

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by ogapelumi(m): 8:25am On Jun 03, 2019
Thanks,
The reason i asked was that i was involved in an accident
it was on a sloppy road it happened
the vehicle somersaulted and rolled twice or thrice by the side
it was when the vehicle was towed that i discovered that the new tyre at the back caused it.
first the vehicle swerved to the left then right and again until it somersaulted
i made sure i did not step on the brake and i can remember the steering was straight
Viewing the tyre, it looks swollen but it was a new tyre

Re: How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by nurey(m): 10:53am On Jun 03, 2019
ogapelumi:
Thanks,
The reason i asked was that i was involved in an accident
it was on a sloppy road it happened
the vehicle somersaulted and rolled twice or thrice by the side
it was when the vehicle was towed that i discovered that the new tyre at the back caused it.
first the vehicle swerved to the left then right and again until it somersaulted
i made sure i did not step on the brake and i can remember the steering was straight
Viewing the tyre, it looks swollen but it was a new tyre

Whether you depress the brake or not, a tire burst is highly dangerous. Yours happened at the rear which you don't have steering control of, also the speed the vehicle was during the burst also determine whether you will experience roll over or not. The vehicle also looks like a truck with high ground clearance so prone to roll over.
Always ensure vulcanizer maintain recommended tire PSI to avoid burst.
Re: How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by ogapelumi(m): 2:44pm On Jun 03, 2019
It is an hummer bus, nothing happenend to the other three tyres, i had just passed a corner (but it was not a sharp corner) i was at 40 to 55 after the corner on the sloppy road
the tyre was bought because of its popularity.
if it was on a balanced road, could i still av control on it at that speed?
Re: How Can We Recognize A Rethreaded Tyre? by nurey(m): 8:16pm On Jun 03, 2019
ogapelumi:
It is an hummer bus, nothing happenend to the other three tyres, i had just passed a corner (but it was not a sharp corner) i was at 40 to 55 after the corner on the sloppy road
the tyre was bought because of its popularity.
if it was on a balanced road, could i still av control on it at that speed?

lots of scenario can happen when a tire burst nobody can predetermine what will happen. just ensure you always pump tires to manufacturer recommended PSI, don't pump 50 or 60

(1) (Reply)

HELP: Ford Galaxy 2004 Veva 2.3 / 2021 Mercedes-benz Gle 63 Amg, Gls 63 Amg Are Both Powered By V-8 Engine / Shork Absorber For Rav 4 2008 New Or Tokunbo Which One Is Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.