Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,565 members, 7,941,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 06:24 PM

9th NASS: I Will Contest For The Deputy Senate Presidency  - Orji Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9th NASS: I Will Contest For The Deputy Senate Presidency  - Orji Kalu (674 Views)

Orji Uzor Kalu In Tears As 9th NASS Bows Out / 2023 Presidency: Orji Uzor Kalu Withdraws From Race, Backs Lawan / 9th NASS: Epic Battle Brews In Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

9th NASS: I Will Contest For The Deputy Senate Presidency  - Orji Kalu by Handsomecole(m): 8:42pm On May 27, 2019
9th NASS: I will contest for the Deputy Senate Presidency  - Orji Kalu

President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday met behind closed doors with former Governor of Abia State and Senator-elect, Orji Uzor Kalu at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

Speaking with State House correspondents at the end of the meeting, Kalu insisted he would seek election for the office of the Deputy Senate President in the ninth National Assembly.

According to him, he was at the villa to deliver to President Buhari, a letter from the Venezuelan leader, Nicolas Maguro.

He said “It was a very brief one. I am sure since he became President, I have never been to his office, and this is the first time, I have always seen him in private as a private citizen.

“I have come to see Mr. President, and I acted like a special envoy now. I delivered a letter from President Maduro of Venezuela to President Buhari.”

He said that he was waiting on the leadership of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to zone the position of Deputy Senate President, but that he will contest on the floor if they failed to do so.

He said, “Well, I am going to be contesting on the floor of the senate. I am waiting for the party to zone, and if the party continues to hold it, and don’t zone it, I will contest on the floor of the house,”.

Read Also; Nigeria will be secured – Buhari

Commenting on support for the election of the next Senate President, Kalu said he has since thrown his weight behind the emergence of the candidacy of Ahmed Lawan.

He said fifty-six senators have already appended their signatures in support for Lawan while two others who are presently in Makkah were being awaited to lend their support.

“I have already endorsed Ahmed Lawan as the senate president. That is sacrosanct in my mind, and I am appealing to the other parties, let us have only one candidate in the Senate instead of going to drag about.

“So, we are on course, yesterday, when I returned from Venezuela, Ahmed Lawan was with me in the house, and I became the fifty-six APC Senator to endorse him and signed.

“As I am talking to you now we are having two more people who are in Makka, one senator from Katsina and the other from Lagos. It is fifty-eight senators that are going to be signing in, and we have the majority to make him Senate president,” he noted.

https://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-meets-kalu-in-aso-rock/

Re: 9th NASS: I Will Contest For The Deputy Senate Presidency  - Orji Kalu by NwaNimo1(m): 8:43pm On May 27, 2019
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Yemi Osinbajo Wife, Dolapo Osinbajo Kneels Down To Greet Buhari (photo) / VIP Man Orders Helicopter To Come Pick Up From Lagos Traffic [video ] / ‘atiku Will Be Declared Winner’, Remain Hopeful - Sani Tells Supporters.........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.