Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,353 members, 7,920,322 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 01:27 AM

Enjoy Your Secondary School!!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Enjoy Your Secondary School!!! (237 Views)

Nigerian Man Married His Secondary School Classmate (See Photos) / Men, Please Be Good And Kind To Your Wife If You Wish To Enjoy Your Old Age / Enjoy Your Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Enjoy Your Secondary School!!! by reign2013(m): 3:59pm On May 30, 2019
ENJOY YOUR SECONDARY SCHOOL!
The above statement is a mere wish without preparing the youngsters for what they will be facing in the next phase of life, called secondary school. In retrospect it will be right for me to say honestly that transition from primary to secondary school is quite a big deal. Secondary education is such a critical point in the life of every child, not only are they starting a new phase of education, they are also commencing the start of puberty.

To be a graduating pupil means you have done well. You came, you saw and you conquered. Maybe you are even the best in your class; you likely have many friends to play with, you are very use to your school environment. Everything is about to change now! You are starting a new phase of your life now!

What will become of me in secondary school is likely to be the thought in your mind?

Yes after you step into your new school, ‘secondary’ and you will sudden find out that you are a junior student, maybe alone or with few of the pupils from your old school, most likely in a totally new environment!

Don’t be afraid, I was once in the same condition at a certain stage in my life. I will share with you my experience and experiences of others with you for free. This means you will not need to make and learn from your mistakes because others will lend you their shoulders for you to stand on and see all the opportunities and pitfalls that comes with secondary school

Honestly, in secondary school there are so many things that will be happening all at once if care is not taken you may lost your way.

Listen to the words of wisdom in these six (6) very important nuggets (points) from those that had got ahead of you.

Nugget One: Secondary School is a bigger environment:
I got into secondary school at the age of 11. It was so new to me. Bigger classrooms, more classmates, different subjects with their respective teachers, new places of learning such as science labs and art theaters. I met a lot of new people from different backgrounds. It was exciting and scary. This wasn’t my good old primary school where I used to sing and play with my buddies during break-time without a care in the world. Secondary school is more demanding!

Academically there is more to do. You may be the most brilliant in your old school, but I bet you will meet kids from other schools that are smarter than you. Friend it took me a long time to come to term with this. You can overcome this challenge of bigger and new environment if you listen to the voice of wisdom.
Don’t cast away yourself confident.
Be ready to study more, be ready for a challenge.
Be respectful: understand school hierarchy and be obedient.
Be a learner: there are things to learn from everybody.

Nugget two: Don’t wait to be told before you do what’s right:

You may be privilege to have a family that has almost every amenity needed. Your parents may have helps who cook, clean and do most house hold chores. When you get into secondary school things will likely change (especially if you are in boarding school). You will not have your house helps to wash your clothes, utensils and arrange your stuff; you have to do it yourself. If you are not used to it, it will be strange and very difficult. You have to learn personal management skills now that you are still at home, before you enter into secondary school.

Grow ups do right things at the right time without being told. You must learn to distinguish between work, reading and play time.

Nugget Three (3): Know what true maturity is and what it is not:

There is this popular saying that “age is not maturity”. It is a call to be focused and responsible. As you enter into secondary school you will not only be experiencing academic pressure, but also emotional pressure. This is because of physical growth that comes with puberty.

The probability of you being attractive to opposite gender is high and this can be dangerous if you don’t know what true maturity is.
Maturity does not mean you must be the ‘coolest’ boy or the miss ‘slay’ of your school. True maturity is the development of your voice to say No to anything that will obstruct your future.

99% of kids transitioning face this problem. Some even get it far worse. Cases of teenage pregnancy, sexual exploitation, rape, contracting of STIs all because of an early sexual debut. At this stage of a kid’s life, the mind is naive. Ensure that you know what’s coming so you do not fall victim. Focus on what’s important, your academics. Make good and decent friends. Don’t be lured by the urges and temptations that come with puberty. You’re not ready for them at this stage.

Nugget Four (4): Do the right things at the right time, the right way and the right purpose: your education should come first. Everything including your natural hobby should be secondary at this stage of your life.
Your aspiration may be to become the world footballer of your generation, or the best actress or model that the world had never seen before, let your focus be school. There are many years ahead of you.

Nugget five (5) Choose your friends wisely:

It’s very important we choose new friends when we get to Secondary school. Being alone isn’t healthy. You need companionship. No man is an Island. However, when doing this, ensure you pick Friends that’ll better your life and academics and not the opposite.

Make friends with only those that believe, talk and take actions towards better tomorrow. Be ready to quit a friendship that is not serving your objective of a better future and don’t be afraid of making new healthy friends.

Nugget six (6): Remember whose child you are:

“Remember whose child you are”. I’ve heard that line so many times from my parents and guardians at various stages in my development. It was a call to always remember who you are and your upbringing and never allow yourself to be influenced negatively by the world around me.

Secondary school is abuzz with young adults from different Family backgrounds; some good and some bad. It’s very easy to be influenced when you try to become someone you’re not by others. You can easily pick up bad habits and mentalities and before long you’ll forget who you are. There are always consequences when this happens. Ensure you carry the name of your family in the right light. You’re their ambassador in your school. Whatever you do reflects on them.

This is an abstract of my book, “Enjoy your secondary school!” it is a must read for every pupils. It is a collection of stories and lessons from those that had gone ahead. Grab a copy!!!
You can also enroll your child into our online, “Enjoy your Secondary School” orientation seminar.
Written by
Olayiwola Paul Akanni
(General Coordinator, Mindscope Consultancy, Jos)
A Psychologist, Teens Life Coach, Family man & Pastor
Call or WhatsApp me on 08065522404

(1) (Reply)

Cleaning And Fumigation At It's Best... / Authentic Roofing Tiles Product (aluminium Roofing Sheet) / French Home/online Tutor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.