Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,557 members, 7,911,444 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 10:52 AM

Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria (2120 Views)

Senator Ita Enang, New SSA To President On National Assembly Matters / El Rufai Receives Malian President On First Day In Office (Photos) / Ambode Receives Namibian President On First Day In Office [see Photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by ensiuche: 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2010
CHANGE OF NAME OVERDUE FOR NIGERIA
I have made unsuccessful attempts to persuade two previous heads of state to effect a change of name for our beloved country, Nigeria. But because I believe that it is not a foolish cause I intend pursueing it untill success is achived. I therefore write the present memorandum to you as head of state and through you to the supreme millitary council.

2. The name “Nigeria” is not one that we can be proud of. One reason for this is that it was chosen for us by foreigners. Another reason is that it connotes all that is bad and unacceptable.

3. In many Euro-American languages like Spanish, Latin, Portuguese, French, English, Greek et cetra, “nigger” in its various other forms such as neger, negre, negro and nekros has to to do with contempt, hate, hostility, offence, vulgarity, death, dead body, communication with the dead and so on. There is absolutelely nothing good about the word from which the name of Afrika’s most populous nation originates. It was no accident that the early imperialists came to put such labels as “Negro,” “Negroid,” etc. on Afrikans and on things Afrikan. It is also by no accident that the English Language for instance is full of such phrases as blackmail, black-leg, black-market, black magic, black list, black mass, black Friday, blak mark, black sheep, black maria. By extension, the westerners always get black people to play the role of Satan, Judas Iscariot, slaves and errand boys in their movies.

4. It is clear that nigger or black in Euro-American mentality and philosophy represents everything evil. It is due to the absence of the necessary foresight and awareness that we have not long ago done away with names that are rooted in a way of thinking which insults the dignity of man. Since the age of awareness has now arrived, I humbly demand a better name for our dear country as well as its people. New names for the river Niger as well as the entire nation and her various ramifications will certainly correspond with and bolster the national spirit that gave birth to the re-branding campaign now searching for a new path of nationalism and patriotism.

5. It is also culturally and politically appropriate to change the names of our cities which do not bear Afrikan names. For example, Lagos and Port Harcourt. Rivers, Cross Rivers, Lagos, Niger and Plateau States are among other places names which need to be Afrikanized.

6. Most Afrikan countries which had foreign names in the past have taken the honourable step of dropping such names and replacing them with their original or chosen names. They include: Ghanah, Togo, Benin, Zambia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zaire, Kongo and, most recently Bourkina Fasso which were formerly Gold Coast, Togoland, Dahomey, Northern Kongo (Brazzaville) and Upper Volta, respectively. (Banjul, capital of Gambia, was once Barthurst; Kinshasa was Leopoldville, and Harare was Sasilbury.)

Sadly, Nigeria remains one of the few Afrikan nations who are still complacently retaining their colonial names. The others include: Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Niger, Central African Republic and swaziland.
7. Of all the colonial names of Afrikan countries non are as bad and demoralizing as Nigeria and Niger if we consider the meaning or the roots ofthese two. I therefore conclude by suggesting that a panel be set up to give this burning question a close look and find a replacement for the name “Nigeria” and other replaceable names.

8. With highest regards and best wishes for a successful tenure of office.

I remain,
Your faithful citizen,

Nkemkanma Chukwuemeka Uche.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by TewMuch: 7:16pm On Sep 28, 2010
Ur retarded and follow the slave mentality.So you want to say the 'Niger river' which Nigeria was named after was culled from Nigger? Please desist from following beat down loser's and conspiracy theorists.Nigeria is the area around the Niger river.Nd its name has nothing to do with Nigger.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by DeepSight(m): 7:18pm On Sep 28, 2010
The word "Nigeria" has no etymological relationship with the derogative slang "nigger."

The word "Nigeria" is sourced from the river Niger. Nigeria is the "Niger - Area" - thus, Nigeria.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by slap1(m): 7:29pm On Sep 28, 2010
The irony of life . . .some people are dying to have internet while some goons are hell bent on wasting it.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 28, 2010
@OP

I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for your dreams of name change to be actualised
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 29, 2010
You need to know where the "Niger" word came from!!!! I can't seem to find any other source other the "Nigger" word. Now We have many rivers named after the people living around and close to it. Where does the word "Niger" come from? Even a nation is called "Niger" but it is pronounced as "Nijay" what does "Nijay" mean in French?
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by TewMuch: 12:56am On Sep 29, 2010
9jaganja:

You need to know where the "Niger" word came from!!!! I can't seem to find any other source other the "Nigger" word. Now We have many rivers named after the people living around and close to it. Where does the word "Niger" come from? Even a nation is called "Niger" but it is pronounced as "Nijay" what does "Nijay" mean in French?

Please get off your Ganja. This is not a good look. O.k just for trivia, what does Nijay mean in french? Do you realise that Oyinbo's get most names from natives? Where did the name "Nile" come from? i am speaking in terms of the "Nile River".
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by amazonia(m): 3:56am On Sep 29, 2010
The river Niger, Nigeria and Niger Rep. were named by western explorers
to the sponsors of their expeditions. In the case of our west-Africa area, it was
the Royal Niger Company. And their product of trade were slaves called niggers,
The off-springs of these nigger/niggars in the new world they called negros/nigros.
Their source of these slaves (nigers), they called Niger-area. combined form Nigeria.
The name is certainly insulting and dehumanizing.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by tpiah: 4:16am On Sep 29, 2010
A good possibility for a source of "Niger" remains the Tuareg phrase gher n gheren "river of rivers", shortened to ngher.

Some Medieval and late Classical European maps used the name "Niger" applied only to the middle reaches of the river, in modern Mali, while Quorra or Kworra was used for the lower reaches in modern Nigeria.

The origin of the river's name remains unclear. What is clear is that "Niger" was an appellation applied in the Mediterranean world from at least the Classical era, when knowledge of the area by Europeans was slightly better than fable. A careful study of Classical writings on the interior of the Sahara begins with Ptolemy, who mentions two rivers in the desert: the "Gir" and farther south, the "Ni-Gir".[6] The first has been since identified as the Wadi Ghir on the north western edge of the Tuat, along the borders of modern Morocco and Algeria.[7] This would likely have been as far as Ptolemy would have had consistent records. The Ni-Ger was likely speculation, although the name stuck as that of a river south of the Mediterranean's "known world". Suetonius reports Romans traveling to the "Ger", although in reporting any river's name derived from a Berber language, in which "gher" means "watercourse", confusion could easily arise.

Pliny connected these two rivers as one long watercourse which flowed (via lakes and underground sections) into the Nile,[9] a notion which persisted in the Arab and European worlds – and further added the Senegal River as the "Ger" – until the 19th century. The connection to the Nile River was made not simply because this was then known as the great river of "Aethiopia" (by which all lands south of the desert were called by Classical writers), but because the Nile flooded every summer. In Europe and Western Asia, floods are expected in the Spring, following snow melt. Classical authors explained the summer flood by calculating the time it took for flood waters to move down a river, and calculating how long the Nile must have been for the waters to travel from a mountain range in the spring. The cycle of the Nile is based on tropical rain patterns though, not snow melt, something unknown to the Classical Mediterranean world.[10] Through the descriptions of Leo Africanus and even Ibn Battuta – despite his visit to the river – the myth connecting the Niger to the Nile persisted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_River
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by tpiah: 4:18am On Sep 29, 2010
@ topic

weird priorities.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by TewMuch: 4:25am On Sep 29, 2010
amazonia:

The river Niger, Nigeria and Niger Rep. were named by western explorers
to the sponsors of their expeditions. In the case of our west-Africa area, it was
the Royal Niger Company. And their product of trade were slaves called niggers,
The off-springs of these nigger/niggars in the new world they called negros/nigros.
Their source of these slaves (nigers), they called Niger-area. combined form Nigeria.
The name is certainly insulting and dehumanizing.

This is too ridiculous for words. Let me guess, you are African American? Or a descendant of slaves angry at the white man. First and foremost the word Nigger came from the Negro classification. Negro means black in (i have forgotten what language but i think it is spanish). Just like they classify whites as Caucasian, they classify blacks as Negro. Its just their classification and has nothing to do with a derogatory word. Niger has nothing to do with Nigger. The word Nigger is an off shoot of Negro, and is derogatory yes. But you are only a Nigger, if you believe you are.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by amazonia(m): 6:00am On Sep 29, 2010
@Tewmuch
I don"t see what is ridiculous about this. The Timing of the
issue by OP may be inappropriate . I am neither of those
you alleged. Iam a Nigerian. A rose by any name is still
a rose. You have to know its not apiece of cake for human
to kill or enslave another as a piece of good without
trying to rationalize and justify their actions to appease
their conscience. Some ways some goes about this, by
demonized their enemies before killing. In our situation
the western slave traders to sort their conscience because
of their unholy engagement, dehumanised us with many of
their actions including derogatory names.
Do you know the popular work phrase we use.' Oh obey"
is actually " apes obey"(to get unison of effort)
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by jamace(m): 7:50am On Sep 29, 2010
OP
Nothing is wrong with the name Nigeria. It is Nigerians that make it what it is.

Do you think by changing the name our leaders will stop looting the treasury? Do you think abandonment of contacts after collecting mobilisation fees will stop if the name is changed? So, you believe that when the name is changed religion will become a blessing to us instead of a curse? Will tribalism, nepotism, godfatherism and other vices cease by mere changing the name of Nigeria? I don't think so!

Nigerians should change their bad attitudes and do things right, and Nigeria will be great.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by Ikengawo: 7:56am On Sep 29, 2010
The irony of life . . .some people are dying to have internet while some goons are hell bent on wasting it.

Hahaha i swear on everything this is the most illiterate thread of all time. LOL
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by Dotman01(m): 8:11am On Sep 29, 2010
slap1:

. . . Lmao!!!
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by amazonia(m): 8:28am On Sep 29, 2010
@ Jamace,
You are right. That certainly won't change those.
Don't you think an Indigenous name will awaken
more sense of belonging and personal stake in
the entity? I think such will foster more ownership
senses and demand for more accountability from leaders.
It certainly will increase pride. People will be proud to
name their children after their beloved country. I have
not seen any family naming their child Nigeria. Our
people are not stupid.
The name Nigeria is a direct legacy of this geographic
expression, and Britain trans-Atlantic slave experience.
It is time will throw away vestiges of slavery.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by semid4lyfe(m): 9:07am On Sep 29, 2010
@ topic
Joblessness na im dey cause am tongue

slap1:

Hehehe. . .you don tire to dey post with your phone? grin cheesy
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by nastydamus(m): 9:28am On Sep 29, 2010
If it'll bring about accelerated development and a likely end to widespread corruption in 'Nigeria', I support with my hands and legs. sad
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by tpiah: 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2010
I have not seen any family naming their child Nigeria

arent you overdoing this thing?

why would a family name their child nigeria?
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by Jubilee9ja(f): 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2010
Hello no matter what, Nigeria is a good name, and God has already visited the nation, you just watch out

because something is about to happen!

God has visited Nigeria and He will be passing through the nation in the last seven days of this month (24th - 30th Sept. 2010). He will pass through Nigeria for judgment against everyone that has taken advantage of the disarray of things in the country to afflict Nigerians since the last forty years. The nation through the error of the founding fathers and the fore-running leaders was sold into forty years captivity, but now it is Jubilee. Therefore a major event that will bring about a complete overhauling and a total transformation of Nigeria’s current political terrain will take place and will as a result set the pace for the various remarkable things that will follow before the 2011 Election:

1. Judgment and destruction is coming upon all the remaining fore-running leaders that sold the nation into forty years captivity since 1970.

2. All the wicked leaders in various platforms who have been subtly or directly oppressing Nigerians will be destroyed and overthrown because it is judgment time.

3. Every popular and hidden platform of oppression in Nigeria will collapse suddenly and be overturned.

4. Power will change hands in Nigeria; the government of this nation has been taking away from the hand of the platform of oppression.

5. God is done with the current nation’s ruling party and is coming crashing down.

6. A political party will arise out of obscurity into limelight as she launches a national rescue project and will therefore attract a great influx of the right people who have been waiting for the right platform.

7. The wall that has barricaded the true leaders for years from building the nation will collapse, new generation leaders who have been waiting for the right platform into the nation’s politics will emerge and gain access; they will therefore have the opportunity to feature in the 2011 Election triumphantly through the new rising platform. That is the generation that will lead the nation to the Promised Land.

What The Faithful Citizens Should Do As We Await This Great Move

1. None of us is completely blameless and no one should point accusing fingers to any, God is the judge of all and He is already at work for our national deliverance but we all must ask God for mercy even though God won’t repent concerning the judgment.

2. Let all the true leaders God has prepared to participate in the nation’s politics start watching out for the right platform as it emerges in a short while. Strategic positioning will be required now, because Something Is About To Happen! Spread the news, it is Jubilee already. (You should join our interest group on Facebook if you've been waiting for this)

The site below has details.
www.nigeriasomethingisabouttohappen..com
Re: Open Letter To Mr President On A Change Of Name For Nigeria by okdaddy393: 10:21am On Nov 26, 2016
There's Nothing wrong with the name Nigeria. it is Nigerians that make it what it is. This is the most ridiculous post i have ever come across in nairaland. Let's make Nigeria Great again

(1) (Reply)

After Two Months, Cement Prices Go Through The Roof Again . / Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter! / Cabal Begin Fleeing, Launder Loot As Buhari/osinbajo ‘integrity’ Govt Looms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.