Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,310 members, 7,971,129 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 11:13 PM

How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. (1977 Views)

Teach English Online To Foreign Students. Get Paid Over #180,000 Monthly. / Everything About TEFL Career For Nigerians / Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. by Thielngr(m): 2:50am On Jun 01, 2019
How to get TEFL certified and Teach English Overseas..
You might speak English fluently, but can you explain and teach English at the global stage …? Living abroad isn’t necessarily a cake walk, but it is a great adventure and you can achieve it with your English language skills, but before you can be the Teacher, you need to be the Student.
So, let’s get started! The steps to teaching English as a foreign language aren’t all too hard to follow once you take that first step. You just need a game plan, a dash of confidence, and a willingness to stretch your comfort zone.
Let’s break down the steps you need.
1. Decide if you’re “in” or not.
Before you start the long process of coordinating teaching jobs abroad, you want to make sure that you’re 100% in on the opportunity. It can take a lot of resources—money, time, energy—to set yourself up for a successful job hunt, let alone transition to life abroad. So take a good, hard look in your selfie camera and ask yourself: Are you going to do this? For real? If you’re not ready to commit to the process, that’s totally okay! It’s still worthwhile to educate yourself on what that commitment will look like, so that when that magical window of opportunity does present itself, you can get the ball rolling As Soon As Possible.
2. Review your qualifications.
Ask yourself: 1. Are you fluent in English? ✓ 2. Are you at least 18? ✓ 3. Are you TEFL certified?
It's totally okay that you aren't TEFL certified at this point—you’ve only just decided to go ALL IN and secure your path towards teaching English as a foreign language abroad, after all! But, you need to swallow some truth bombs. Most organizations hiring EFL teachers want them to be TEFL certified. Above all else, this indicates to the schools, language academics, universities, etc. that you have put in the effort to understand the complexities of teaching a language. You might think that just because you speak English natively that you have any TEFL job in the bag. But that’s simply not the case. Many people who want to teach abroad aren’t necessarily looking to teach English for their entire career (though you might find out that you love it and want to!). The majority are recently graduated and young people who have no penchant for adventure, but also the practicality of not wanting to go broke while traveling pushes most people into teaching overseas. If this sounds like you, you need to get TEFL certified. It opens doors to better EFL jobs, and to you doing a better job overseas.
3. A few other things to keep in mind.
You don’t HAVE to have a degree to participate in TEFL courses or to be eligible for many EFL teaching jobs around the world, nor do you have to be a native English speaker. However, many international schools will only hire non-degree holders who have completed at least a 100+ hour TEFL certificate training course than a degree graduate without a TEFL certification. If you’re already a teacher with Nce or similar qualifications, you DO need a TEFL certificate under your belt, too. Simply having a degree in education or extensive experience teaching other subjects doesn’t mean you’re equipped to teach EFL abroad. You still need to learn the specific methodology and approach.
4. Get educated on what getting TEFL certified means.
Getting TEFL certified is your ticket to life abroad as an EFL teacher. Even if you are an education major or teacher, a TEFL certificate is required as a specific methodology is taught in order to teach English as a foreign language. And, you’ve got it made—there’s a whole treasure trove of organizations that want to help you make sure your qualifications are up to snuff. So let’s dive deeper into this world of TEFL certification. In summary, you have a lot of options when it comes to how to get TEFL certified. A lot. You can take TEFL courses online, in person, or a combo online-in person. You can get TEFL certified overseas (there are lots of centers abroad, primarily in major cities, that run dedicated programs which you can hightail to get TEFL certified.
You can get TEFL certified by taking courses for 120 hours, 240 hours, or 120 hours + special course add on’s (like specializing in business English teaching). You can find TEFL programs with payment plans, with extra-curricular activities planned, with young teachers, with old teachers, with small groups, with large classes. You can find opportunities to get TEFL certified with companies that have been in business for one year, two years, ten years. And you can find varying missions and levels of dedication to TEFL student success. Some TEFL companies offer job placement assistance and alumni networking groups, others hook you up with the TEFL courses then boot you out the door.
And that’s all just scratching the surface. Spend some dedicated time learning about how to get TEFL certified and who to get TEFL certified with before you start to dive deeper and pick which one is right for you. Knowledge is power, and will serve you well as you continue moving through these steps to teaching English abroad.
5. Start shopping for TEFL certification courses.
Now that you’re more aware of what’s out there, you can start confidently selecting between different organizations to find the one that’s right for you. We recommend using a combination of research strategies to streamline your process. That allows you to save and compare programs with ease, Consult reviews, click around on TEFL company websites, and, most importantly, reach out. You should aim to talk to at least three to five different TEFL companies before making a decision, and here’s how...
6. Talk to at least 3-5 different TEFL certification providers.
You’re on their radar. They’re grilling you to see if you’re a good fit, but you should also be grilling them. What’s included? What does the application process looks like? What makes their program different? What are some success stories from alumni? Would they put you in touch with alumni? Ultimately: How available are they (and patient are they) with answering your myriad questions? And that’s just it—you need to get a feel for the different vibes of the different organizations you’re considering. One conversation might seal the deal.
7. Do your last minute sleuthing, then pick a TEFL program and apply.
Now that you’ve confidently chosen an organization to help you get TEFL certified, it’s time to hit that application process—and hard. You want to highlight your educational experiences and talk about the ways you hope this new qualification will improve not only your life and prospects, but also the lives of others. Think bigger picture and reeeeally convince them that you’re going to be a standout, committed student, and later teacher. Await your fate!
8. Once you’re accepted, it’s time to get focused.
Of COURSE they accepted your rockstar application. Who wouldn’t!? And now, a new slew of questions creep from periphery to focus. You need tasks and interviews,. You need textbooks and pencils. You need a new top from Old Navy that makes you feel teacherly. Whether you’re getting TEFL certified online or in a classroom, it’s time to put your game face on and get focused. Your success as an EFL teacher rides in your willingness to participate and engage with this training! You must be committed and focused. Complete these steps to teaching English, and you’ll be well on your way to a meaningful life of career, travel and money.
9. Think about your next move, then complete the TEFL certification course like a champ.
Are you going to take classes in a nearby city or in a far country overseas, or move clear across the world to do your course? Do you need visas, accommodation etc. Are you going to teach abroad immediately after or wait a few months? All of these realities to your personal situation will ultimately influence your next steps to teaching English. If you want an immediate placement after, start tying up loose ends. If you want that certificate in hand before you turn your eyes to the job market, then you can rest easy and continue your afternoons lazily.…
10. You’re finally prepared to shape young mind..
If you want to teach English as a foreign language abroad, you need to do it with TEFL certification. That’s why we focused such a large portion on the steps to teaching English on this very crucial area. If you’re not qualified to do it in your own country, you probably shouldn’t be doing it for others in another country. So, follow these basic steps to teaching English, and see yourself traveling around the globe in great of adventure of career and money.

1 Like

Re: How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. by UtchayPro(f): 4:26am On Sep 08, 2019
This is 100% apt!

I just finished my online TEFL training.

Turned in my lesson plan(project) and waiting for my official certificate.

I'm also beginning to look out for job opportunities (online and abroad) and I'll appreciate information in this regard.

I'm also looking to mingle with TEFL teachers of Nigerian/African origin so if you know any kindly recommend.

You can shoot me a mail on uchennaanochilionye@gmail.com

Thank you so much and warm regards!
Re: How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. by kcwitch(m): 8:08am On Sep 10, 2019
UtchayPro:
This is 100% apt!

I'm also beginning to look out for job opportunities (online and abroad) and I'll appreciate information in this regard.

I'm also looking to mingle with TEFL teachers of Nigerian/African origin so if you know any kindly recommend.

Pls which online training is good and affordable?
Re: How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. by illocution: 2:07pm On Sep 26, 2019
UtchayPro:
This is 100% apt!

Please which of the online TEFL trainings did you take i really need advice on this... Thanks.
Re: How To Get TEFL Certified And Teach English Overseas.. by vhuqnl(m): 8:46pm On Mar 28, 2021
UtchayPro:
This is 100% apt!

how is your nursing school going

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Group Created By Emmysmusic On Whatsapp For Gospel Music Lovers.... / Any Instrumetation And Automation Professional Here? / Boost Your Career With Nabteb Certificate - Vocational Training In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.