Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,952 members, 7,890,147 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 10:01 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (707) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1395032 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (704) (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2020
lawali:

BigFrancis21,

This appointment thing tire me. I summoned courage and cancel my Lagos appointment and try Abuja. I can’t see Dec/Jan dates again but March 15.

I tried to check available date with new profile without populating other 5 dependents and can still see January 6th .

Am I missing something? Pls I need help. Thanks

Is this for study visa?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bigfrancis21: 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2020
taylorfola:

Hey,
I already scheduled abuja with my first MRV fee, the question now is since I already paid for another MRV fee can I create a new profile with that and schedule an emergency appointment for lagos then if that get denied again I would still have my abuja appointment has backup. Can this be done?

Your passport number is tied only to one profile. You cannot create two profiles with one passport number unfortunately.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bigfrancis21: 8:38pm On Nov 24, 2020
lawali:

BigFrancis21,

This appointment thing tire me. I summoned courage and cancel my Lagos appointment and try Abuja. I can’t see Dec/Jan dates again but March 15.

I tried to check available date with new profile without populating other 5 dependents and can still see January 6th .

You missed out on the flurry of Dec/Jan dates that were available this morning. Just be patient, the Abuja embassy opens up Dec/Jan dates regularly. You just need to check back like twice/thrice per day every six hours. The best time to check being early in the morning.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bigfrancis21: 8:40pm On Nov 24, 2020
lawali:
Hi bigFrancis21,

I have only scheduled once (April 5th, 2021) but have been denied twice for expedited appointment. This appointment is for a family of 6 and worried if I cancel this one and have to pay another MRV (370k).

Pls closer date in December is desired but hope this will work?

Was your expedited appointment denied at Lagos? If yes, and you've only scheduled once, you may start afresh and select Abuja. Dates might not currently be available but you need to keep checking in again regularly like once every 6 hours. Be patient, the Abuja embassy opens up early dates regularly.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mousano(f): 9:13pm On Nov 24, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2020
Any previously denied able to select a date yet?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 9:47pm On Nov 24, 2020
lawali:

BigFrancis21,

please, don't exhaust the last chance. They released today, they might release in few days from now
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:56pm On Nov 24, 2020
lawali:

BigFrancis21,

Family of 6 go tough ooo to convince Vo..... but I wish you all the best

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lildairo(m): 12:00am On Nov 25, 2020
Does the filling of DS-160 have a limit like the MRV fee?

I didn't save my DS-160 in a PDF format in my PC after Submitting it, now it's doing me like I made a mistake somewhere.

Is there any limit to the number of times one can fill the DS-160 & does filling multiple DS-160 have any consequences?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Loloking: 12:21am On Nov 25, 2020
Cocao:
To be honest, I can see a lot of desperate acts leading people to even more compounding problems. If you are looking for appointment dates, instead of moving from one location to another, just chill. Check the platform at night, join groups with people of like mind, keep your ear to the ground, watch and pray. Don't let your perceived urgency cause you to spend unnecessarily without even getting solutions. I know tempers are high and I understand, but just strategize and chill.

You’re so right. But you can’t blame them either, a lot don’t want to defer but want this spring so they make hasten decisions. Good advice is breath in and calm down and strategize.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 12:21am On Nov 25, 2020
Preparation is key.......very key! look at previous transcripts and develop responses tailored to your circumstance. Major concern may be the funding question since you are going with your babies. Do you two have the same interview time and location? In my thinking, both of you are still in Nigeria, so be ready to answer what kind of work your husband does and there is no need to tell them he is also planning to study overseas..

bilings4real:
Morning Team.

My husband and I got an msc program into the same university, same course, I was offered a provost scholarship. I have twin girls age 16 months, we all intend to travel with them.

Our interview is slated for next month, on our DS 160 docs, I filled that I am travelling with my two girls as dependents, whilecmy husband indicated that he was travelling alone.

My question is; what should we say during our respective interviews? What are the chance of our visa getting approved if they know we are all travelling for studies?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by zeeLady: 12:23am On Nov 25, 2020
I think she can reapply to Abuja. Someone here said they got approved in Abuja after denial in Lagos

MrBammy:
Please Fam, my wife just got denied of the emergency appointment in Lagos, she’s supposed to resume to school by January 2021. Please What could have gone wrong? Can she reapply for the emergency appointment? Thank you as I awaits your response.

Please I need an urgent response. God bless you all
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Technieguy19: 2:18am On Nov 25, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Vision2: 2:24am On Nov 25, 2020
@ All.... Each time I tried to login to fill ds160 application, it keeps returning me back to " Select a location where you will be applying for a this visa"

Please what can I do? I have tried different browser but nothing has changed... Kindly help with a solution.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gmelanino: 4:31am On Nov 25, 2020
naijaeclectic:

Congratulations on your success story. I tap into ur testimony
-

I am the daughter ohh!

Good morning, everyone. Thanks for the transcripts, advice, and encouragement here. You were extremely helpful. God bless you all.
-

I think I got there at some minutes to 6. There was a crowd already. I had to register my bag for N2,000. Then, I learned that I was not with the correct copy of one payment receipt (the one paid to GT). They said that I needed something with a CGI logo.

A guy there showed me a sample of the correct document. Then, he said it would cost N10,000 to log in and print it. I didn't know when I told him he was wicked. Lol!

After bantering small, I started speaking pidgin/Igbo. I told them not to look at my clothes or smell my perfume, that I'm from the streets, and we're all here to hustle. All na packaging. Lol.

We later agreed on N4,000 for printing that paper and photocopying my passport data page. Photocopying costs N1000. If I hadn't argued, I would have paid N11,000 to print a sheet and photocopy a page.

I only agreed because I knew time was far spent. If you have time to argue or you don't have cash, please tell them you don't have the money. They'll drop the price.

Please, everyone going should ensure they're with the correct documents. The guys there are seriously looking for how to extort money from us. Someone behind me on the line said she paid N10,000 to print something.
-

After paying the N4,000, I ran to the line. My interview was for 8 a.m, and they'd already called that set when I was sweating/haggling over the price of printing. I lined up. It wasn't time yet, but they usually check documents first.

We stayed on that line for about three hours. No seats. Please wear comfortable clothes so you won't suffer more discomfort. Also, dress decently (like, nicely).

Your documents will be checked on the line. Carry your reciprocity fee, or you'll have to start looking for that.
-

At some minutes to/past ten, five of us entered the building. (We'd been entering in groups of five.)

We kept standing inside. We submitted the GT payments to someone, then joined the line for the interviews.
-

There was this terrorist at one window. He kept grilling people, and when he got to one boy that said he's studying Creative Writing or English (I'm not sure which), the boy was there for a while. I come dey sweat because I'm also going in for Creative Writing. He was grilling STEM-inclined people, and now, an art-based person was almost sleeping at his window. Jump and pass, na my prayer.

I started praying specifically to be sent to a friendly VO on the left (Window 10, I think). He occasionally asked people to stop sounding like robots, but from his demeanor, I could see that he was nice. Plus, people spent less time at his window.

Please try not to recite what you read online word-for-word. It shows when you're repeating it. Just pick valid points and mention them. Be confident.

Someone said you should smile (even behind your mask). I agree. A smile in your voice shows you're not intimidated.

When I got to the front, I saw that I'd either go to Mr. Terrorist or Mr. Nice Guy. They were delivering finishing speeches to the candidates in front of them. I prayed harder for the person in front of Nice Guy to pack his things and walk fast. Immediately he did that, I raced to Nice Guy. Two seconds more from the applicant, and it would have been too late.
-

TRANSCRIPT:

V.O: Good morning (smile).

ME: Good morning.

V.O: Please, pass your papers.

ME: (Passes papers.)

V.O: What school will you be attending?

ME: I'll be going to Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.

V.O: (Laughs.) Not to be mistaken for University of Miami, Florida.

ME: Yes (laughs).

V.O: So, I see you're going to study Creative Writing. Why Creative Writing?

ME: Well, I'm an editor, so I understand the power of language and how stories can be a powerful tool for sharing information about and addressing issues in the society. (It was basically something like this I said).

V.O: So, you're an editor. Freelance?

ME: No. I co-founded an editing company with my mother.

V.O: What kind of editing?

ME: Fiction and creative non-fiction.

V.O: Have you published a book?

ME: (Laughs). Not yet, but I have stories and poems in literary journals.

V.O: (Smiles). Well, that has to change soon. (Taps on my 1-20, and I believe it's because he knows my final year project is going to be a book).

V.O: (Tikka Tikka Tikka on keyboard.) Are you married?

ME: No.

V.O: Do you have kids?

ME: No.

V.O: Have you ever traveled out of Nigeria?

ME: Yes, to Denmark.

V.O: (Surprised look). Denmark? That's an odd place to go. Why did you go there?

ME: Well, I gained admission into the Erasmus Mundus Journalism program. I did not get the scholarship, but since it was a subsidized program, I joined. In my second year, I was supposed to go to Swansea but could not make it due to financial issues. (NOTE: Some Erasmus programs let students school in different countries. Depending on your course, you can school in 2 to 4 universities before you're done. One school per academic year or one per semester. Something like that.)

V.O: (Nods like he could feel my pain). But I see you have a full scholarship now. (Happy smile on my behalf).

ME: (Happy smile back) Yes, I do!

V.O: Well, I'll be approving your Visa. (Story story story.) Miami University, huhn? It's a great school!

ME: I know, right! And it's public Ivy, too. (I laughed and said that because the school is on a list of public Ivy League schools. The guy slipped my passport and the yellow slip back to me. Told me to have a nice stay. I told him to enjoy the rest of his day, smiled, and ran to the reciprocity place.)

-

That's all.

The interview lasted about a minute. I was worried he'd ask complicated questions, but nothing like that. Seeing as they were grilling people doing super-complicated courses, the chit-chat for mine was just a miracle.

-

Lessons learned:

1. Carry extra cash. You never know the stuff you'd need it for.

2. Calm down. Confidence helps anywhere. Overthink it, but don't overthink it. I hope that makes sense. Overthinking will make you tense, but you still need to realize how important this is.

3. Know why you're going to study the course. Me, I just need a space to chill and write in peace while chopping life, but I gave a valid reason for why I'm going. And what I said about why I'm going down the writing path is true. smiley

These guys have interviewed people long enough to know lying patterns and stuff. Plus, when you deal with humans, you'd learn to watch their faces and decipher speech patterns.

That's all, guys. I wish everyone going the best. Please stay safe. Also, let's just say they're happily giving out visas. Stay optimistic.

God bless you, and good luck!

(Forgive any grammatical and punctuation errors in the text. Don't use this to judge my editing skills ohh. Lol.) grin

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 4:51am On Nov 25, 2020
bilings4real:
Morning Team.

My husband and I got an msc program into the same university, same course, I was offered a provost scholarship. I have twin girls age 16 months, we all intend to travel with them.

Our interview is slated for next month, on our DS 160 docs, I filled that I am travelling with my two girls as dependents, whilecmy husband indicated that he was travelling alone.

My question is; what should we say during our respective interviews? What are the chance of our visa getting approved if they know we are all travelling for studies?

Why not apply together? Doing it separately might make it seem there is something you guys are hiding. Just ensure your funding is well covered.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gmelanino: 5:38am On Nov 25, 2020
[color=#550000][/color]
fairheart:

Read this thread, starting from page 1. Everything you need is here, but you have to search for information can can search for. For other questions, you are welcome to ask. Check some of my post using my profile. There were mentions on how to look for schools, etc. But most importantly, mine your own information and ask questions to confirm them.
All the best!

@fairheart sir, plz I really need your assistance with some mock interview. Hope it won’t be too much trouble... hoping to hear from u soon.
My email: gmelanino@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tamison: 6:10am On Nov 25, 2020
Hey guys! Has anyone tried to reschedule and gotten this response after the expedition request was approved? "Your group size is larger than current location".

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 25, 2020
Vision2:
@ All.... Each time I tried to login to fill ds160 application, it keeps returning me back to " Select a location where you will be applying for a this visa"

Please what can I do? I have tried different browser but nothing has changed... Kindly help with a solution.

Change your network provider.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hollyholy: 9:52am On Nov 25, 2020
Hey guys.

I cried all night and still crying after being denied yesterday.

I totally tended up and blanked out.

Last night all my responses kept flowing in my head and sounded like I was muttering gibberish.

I feel so hopeless.

It was like someone else possessed my body as all I heard rehearsed flew out of my head.

I sent an email to my program director and her response brought more tears to my eyes.

She said she will keep the admission open all through next year, hoping I can join them.

I am afraid to book another date and go through another heartbreak.

I am hiding in my office toilet as I type still crying.

I feel so sad

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by majorstark: 10:09am On Nov 25, 2020
fairheart:

Walspring.
House

I hope the fee I'm paying is the $200 for F1 as specified in the picture below.

I have been hearing that SEVIS FEE has increased to $350
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by lawali: 10:11am On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

Last night all my responses kept flowing in my head and sounded like I was muttering gibberish.

I feel so hopeless.

It was like someone else possessed my body as all I heard rehearsed flew out of my head.

I sent an email to my program director and her response brought more tears to my eyes.

She said she will keep the admission open all through next year, hoping I can join them.

I feel so sad

Morning,

Pls take it easy. Once there is life there is hope.
In as much your admission is extended, you can make another interview appointment but learn from your mistakes and do better. Best of luck next time.

Life is in phases. Some of us are yet to get appointment date for interview.

Las Las we will all be ok.���

13 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 10:14am On Nov 25, 2020
So sorry to hear this fam. I know how it feels, trust me. If you want to talk about it to someone, please get a trusted friend or colleague around you to talk to.

Good things don't often come easy. Your setback may just be a setup for you to gain more.

Stay calm, try to relax, and don't be in a hurry. Think clearly and act strategically too.

God bless you.

Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so hopeless.

I feel so sad

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Geewin69: 10:15am On Nov 25, 2020
SEVIS fee for studies in the United States is $350. No longer $200.

majorstark:

House

I hope the fee I'm paying is the $200 for F1 as specified in the picture below.

I have been hearing that SEVIS FEE has increased to $350

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stalon99(m): 10:21am On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so hopeless.

I feel so sad

So sorry to hear this. I can imagine how you feel. But remember not everyone get approved in their first attempt. Be confident, don't give up on your dreams. Do adequate preparation for your next interview. Take as many mock as possible. Most importantly, pray to God for grace. With God's grace you are covered. Pray fervently and God will see you through in ur next interview. Good luck.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jayzen(f): 10:38am On Nov 25, 2020
I can't say I understand how this can feel cos I honestly don't. But I know it won't feel easy. Your pain is clearly reflected in your post. Sorry about that denial. Please get yourself together and reschedule. Prepare some more and get someone to do mocks for you. You'll be alright in the end.
The schools do a lot to help matters sometimes. Find courage.
Good luck on your next attempt!

Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so sad

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 10:55am On Nov 25, 2020
jayzen:
I can't say I understand how this can feel cos I honestly don't. But I know it won't feel easy. Your pain is clearly reflected in your post. Sorry about that denial. Please get yourself together and reschedule. Prepare some more and get someone to do mocks for you. You'll be alright in the end.
The schools do a lot to help matters sometimes. Find courage.
Good luck on your next attempt!

sad part is that there are currently no dates for previously denied applicants

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jayzen(f): 11:08am On Nov 25, 2020
Even after changing location? How about sending an email to the consul requesting for a date to retry ? Like applying same procedures used in requesting expedited Interviews. When they deny applicants, they expect them to reapply, they can make provisions for a second trial.

My thoughts!
Friedpotato:
sad part is that there are currently no dates for previously denied applicants
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sharon8: 11:15am On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so hopeless.

I feel so sad

I feel your pain dear. It's not easy to go through a visa denial but you just have to forget the past and forge ahead. I guess you must have been very tensed that's probably why you forgot your prepared responses. Try to calm down next time and take deep breaths in quick successions. This will make you relaxed and enable you speak more coherently. Dry your tears and prepare to refire. All the best. Remember that nothing good comes easy.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 11:16am On Nov 25, 2020
jayzen:
Even after changing location? How about sending an email to the consul requesting for a date to retry ? Like applying same procedures used in requesting expedited Interviews. When they deny applicants, they expect them to reapply, they can make provisions for a second trial.

My thoughts!
expedited request was denied because I've been denied within the last 6 months. I've sent an email too, nothing yet.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by UNCG: 11:23am On Nov 25, 2020
Hollyholy:
Hey guys.

I feel so sad

I'm sorry to hear this.
I know how it feels. You start to think of all the other things you should have mentioned, how you could have reframed your response and a lot of other 'could have'.

Take time off to recoup. Write a transcript and share so you can get advice and insights. Of course, there'll always be room for improvement in your transcript, but that doesn't mean you did not shoot your best shot, people with poorer transcripts have been granted. Re-strategize. Consider your options, if you'll still try for spring or defer to fall.

Find solace in your purpose and your loved ones, your family and friends. And in all, don't give up on your dreams.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 11:30am On Nov 25, 2020
Please if any previously denied person has been able to choose a date, please be kind to inform the rest of us

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (704) (705) (706) (707) (708) (709) (710) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.