Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,246 members, 7,904,096 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 08:27 AM

President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech (6654 Views)

President Buhari’s 55th Independence Speech - Full Text / Independence Speech: Why I Sent Ministerial List Late – PMB / Reno Omokri, Others To Be Fired Over Lie In Jonathan's Independence Speech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by nconcept: 11:03am On Oct 01, 2010
Why did our amiable president decide to start what he cannot finish.
I was stunned,at the same time impressed when he started the speech without consulting notes, I applauded the effort,trying to copy the famous Obama, but lo! Mid-way through,he began to stutter and scramble for words,and he then requested for his notes.
That wasn't a good site at all, At least he should have made use of micro-chip notes.
That performance from the number one citizen nearly marred the day,
What do you think?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Echidime(m): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2010
Is one of the events to mark the 50 years celebration so enjoy it all while it last, no complain
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by style2: 11:12am On Oct 01, 2010
This shows Nigeria needs more effort to be contributed by all, leaders and followers alike.

Moderator: Permit me to use this medium, (this will hopefully make Nigerians happy)

I see there are mixed feelings on Nigeria 50 Years.
In sincerity I wish evreyone HAPPY INDEPENDENCE!
May this celebration usher Nigerian into a great country with God-chosen leaders to lead the country in the right direction.
May the citizens flourish in all worthy exploits.

Hope you are all enjoying yourselves; as we promised, GORGEOUS LOOKS is giving 5000 Naira FREE GIFTS to all Nigerians to enjoy on our website: http://www.thegorgeouslooks.com/

Hurry now while offer last, as there will be high interest in the FREE GIFT.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by MetalGong4: 11:14am On Oct 01, 2010
hahahahahaha . . . grin grin grin

Please don't worry about Joe's speech; he is not an English professor but a zoologist.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by nconcept: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2010
Yes,we know he is not a prof in English,but that is the reason why he should stick with his notes from the beginning to save himself of the embarassment.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by sammyzacks(m): 11:46am On Oct 01, 2010
Shut up! He did better than past leaders.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by lannre(m): 12:06pm On Oct 01, 2010
He promise nothing, so don't be surprise !
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by CareTaker1(m): 12:27pm On Oct 01, 2010
We are forging ahead. we stumble, we continue, we are no quitters

Victory/success ahead.

God Bless Nigeria!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GodBlessNigeria!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by CHIMCO(m): 1:26pm On Oct 01, 2010
Even when he spoke offhandedly, he wasn't coherent. Imagine his level of education. This shows generally, the decay in our educational system. He would ve start with his note from the beginning rather than looking left & right playing Obama. He need to learn to be natural like Obasanjo.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by cruiseboy: 7:41pm On Oct 01, 2010
what a disgrace, Well,we are celebrating, that's to show everybody what Nigeria is @ 50, Oga oooo !!! but I see HOPE in the NEW NIGERIA, The leaders have failed us,Don't let u fail ourselves, ITS OUR TIME TO RULE AND TAKE NIGERIA TO GREATER HEIGHTS

Join GOOD LEADERSHIP INITIATIVE NETWORK on facebook, Thanks
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Beaf: 7:43pm On Oct 01, 2010
nconcept:

Why did our amiable president decide to start what he cannot finish.
I was stunned,at the same time impressed when he started the speech without consulting notes, I applauded the effort,trying to copy the famous Obama, but lo! Mid-way through,he began to stutter and scramble for words,and he then requested for his notes.
That wasn't a good site at all, At least he should have made use of micro-chip notes.
That performance from the number one citizen nearly marred the day,
What do you think?

When bombs go off, everything changes.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by oderemo(m): 7:46pm On Oct 01, 2010

that shows your age.
listen to the late saudana speech,try zik as well.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Mobinga: 8:29pm On Oct 01, 2010
Who Cares?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by gotcha(m): 9:10pm On Oct 01, 2010
Don't blame the man o!!!, the blame lies with the clueless guys who set up his telepromter, as if that was not bad enough, the president was nearly clobbered with the darn equipment!!.

All said, naija still stand!!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 01, 2010
This is an excerpt of the live interview between Isha Sesay and jonathan.enjoy the blunders of our dummy president who doesn't know what we he stand for.

Isha:What do you stand for ? What are your policies ?

jonathan:[s]We want to lead a country where people will be less greedy.where people will know that the commonwealth of Nigeria belongs to all Nigerians,where people's wealth depends on the people around you.If you become a rich person and everyone around you is poor,you are very poor.

I want to live in a country where we no longer live as prisoners.why do we have excesses of criminal activity now ? Because the thinking is that the wealth is not uniformly distributed.A lot of young guys who have no jobs and they have no hope so they take to ammunition as some kind of anti-social living.We want to refocus Nigeria to make sure that basic infastructure is provided.The environment is created for private investment,both within and direct foreign investment.So jobs will be created.That is my dream for Nigeria[/s]

Isha:SO YOU ARE SAYING YOU REPRESENT WHAT ? YOU REPRESNT WHAT ? FUTURE CHANGE ,WHAT DO YOU REPRESENT ?

Jonathan:I represent a group that is saying this country must be transformed.I am not saying that those in the past did'nt do well.They tried,but using the capability of Nigerians.If you come to this country,they are talking about brain drain.Well-trained medical doctors and engineers leave Nigeria to the developed countries.We want to reverse that.

www.edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/09/30/goodluck.jonathan.transcript/index.html

Isha must really be angry at the response of jonathan.see her repeating ''represent'' thrice as if jonathan is deaf to understand her.the interview should have been conducted in ijaw language.rubbish 
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by naso2(m): 9:52pm On Oct 01, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Abeg talk with sense na.

SO YOU ARE SAYING YOU REPRESENT WHAT ? YOU REPRESNT WHAT ? FUTURE CHANGE ,WHAT DO YOU REPRESENT ?

This is a normal attempt as is common amongst seasoned interviewers to rattle their respondent. Nothing special in this her question.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by oderemo(m): 10:00pm On Oct 01, 2010
I represent a group that is saying this country must be transformed.I am not saying that those in the past did'nt do well.They tried,but using the capability of Nigerians.
that means jack Poo .
a group of think tank he meant,
are those [group] framing policies as well.?
y cant he says it as he sees it , if past president has failed y sit on the fence.
GEJ has no grit at all.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by rebranded(m): 11:15pm On Oct 01, 2010
By the way he just heard about the bomb blasts then and death, guess u didnt notice how sad he was looking too
neways im not a supporter of GEJ, but i notice he tries to give Nigeria a 21st century President but thats not wat we need, we need serious changes internally
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by MaziUche0(m): 11:18pm On Oct 01, 2010
sammyzacks:

Like Balewa or Nnamdi Azikiwe. Do not make me laugh.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by BizBooks(m): 7:04am On Oct 04, 2010
@ Poster,

I was stunned,at the same time impressed when he started the speech without consulting notes, I applauded the effort,trying to copy the famous Obama

Obama like other top American officials usually speaks with two tele-prompters mounted in front of him on important ocassions. If you are watching on TV, you cannot see them unless the view is expanded. Using tele-prompters makes one appear to speak from memory. That is the same technology newscasters use.

Obama has perfected the art to the extent that it is hard to tell when he is using it. It is essential in American politics where one slip of the tongue can land you in serious trouble. Here is Obama using a tele-prompter:

Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by usbcable(m): 7:21am On Oct 04, 2010
If there is big boom in a hall during a marriage ceremony do you still expect the MC or the Chairman of th occassion to still speak with so much fluency.
the guy try na, obama uses teleprompter GEJ speaks from the memory.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by funkybaby(f): 7:47am On Oct 04, 2010
@post

he stumbled throughout the speech.
long pauses, lots of ''emm, emm'' embarassed
very poor oratory skills.

for someone thats not eloquent, he should just stick to reading prepared speeches rather than ''cramming'' it in his head undecided
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by VALIDATOR: 8:05am On Oct 04, 2010
He is just like most Nigerians.Trying to make people believe you are what you are not.
Shior !!!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by fender(m): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2010
Let's not leave the substance and pursue shadows, the quality of the speech ain't gonna bring a change. Am i making any sense here pls?
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Mobinga: 8:25am On Oct 04, 2010
Like husband, like wife
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 8:36am On Oct 04, 2010
rebranded:

By the way he just heard about the bomb blasts then and death, guess u didnt notice how sad he was looking too
neways im not a supporter of GEJ, but i notice he tries to give Nigeria a 21st century President but thats not wat we need, we need serious changes internally

You mean with insensitive profligacy that is a throwback to the fiscally irresponsible days of the past while genuinely modern leaders like David Cameron fly on commercial airlines to empathise with their disgruntled and disillusioned populace? Abi na Jonathan's Imelda Marcos-type wife represent "21st Century President" while Obama, Cameron, Sarkozy et al parade urbane, sophisticated , intelligent and accomplished spouses? Jonathan , even if he want to pretend otherwise, is "more of the same" with how his actions show that he is like past ruinous hands. He is no departure to nearnderthal throwbacks like Anenih, Danjuma, OBJ, et al . Perhaps this is why they are all in his corner.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 04, 2010
Mobinga:

Like husband, like wife
ROTFL. . . .
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by celemel(m): 8:39am On Oct 04, 2010
So you guys didn't see the teleprompters, huh? There were 2 of them in front. His minders did a bad job of not training him properly on the required skills and doing proper rehearsals before the d-day. He was all along, struggling to read from the equipment until it became embarrassing so, he called for the scripts. It's a good start to see that viewers were even fooled into believing that he was reading from his heart. If you observed, there was never a time when the camera panned out, to show him alongside the audience at the lawn. That would have exposed the prompters to the viewers. He used the same prompters at the Eagle Square during his declaration. In that instance, the cameras exposed them many times. On a personal level, GEJ lost my vote on 1st october coz of his very poor reading skills.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by oladayo042: 9:25am On Oct 04, 2010
lannre:

He promise nothing, so don't be surprised !
Mobinga:

Like husband, like wife
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by yunafa(f): 9:36am On Oct 04, 2010
:dnawa for naija people, person no dey impress una, haba' this is our president!!!!!!!!!
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Gbawe: 9:56am On Oct 04, 2010
yunafa:

:dnawa for naija people, person no dey impress una, haba' this is our president!!!!!!!!!

This is actually a good thing. Time we started moving away from being impressed with mediocrity. We should set our standards high since , due to globalisation, we now see the calibre of leadership that is the norm everywhere else while we continue to settle for mediocrity. We should do away with past sycophancy that leads us to adopt patently poor leaders who have actually emerged to serve the interest of an elite group rather than that of Nigeria .

Remember how Yar Adua emerged only for Nigerians to then start inventing reasons to like him when , to avert disastrous leadership , we should have scrutinised his health challenges , past mediocrity and policy silence thoroughly. I remember a friend saying ,  as is stated for Jonathan now, that Yar Adua is an "action man" who gets things done without saying much. I told this friend that , in typical Naija style, he is only trying to justify making Yar Adua into what he is not since some men do not say much merely because they are clueless and not because they are "silent achievers". Yar Adua wen't on to prove me right.
Re: President Jonathan Stumbles With The Independence Speech by Meldrick(m): 10:10am On Oct 04, 2010
BizBooks:

@ Poster,

Obama like other top American officials usually speaks with two tele-prompters mounted in front of him on important ocassions. If you are watching on TV, you cannot see them unless the view is expanded. Using tele-prompters makes one appear to speak from memory. That is the same technology newscasters use.

Obama has perfected the art to the extent that it is hard to tell when he is using it. It is essential in American politics where one slip of the tongue can land you in serious trouble. Here is Obama using a tele-prompter:

PLEASE HELP ME EXPLAIN TO THAT DUMB POSTER AND THOSE OTHERS KNOW NOTHINGS

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Saudi Agrees To Accept Deported Pilgrims / 2 FRSC Officers Killed In Kano / Cameroonians Declares ''the Best Nigerian Is A Dead Nigerian''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.