Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,749 members, 7,875,872 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:15 AM

Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions (28714 Views)

VCs, ASUU Reject 120 Cut-Off Mark For University Admission / Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities / Why Must Jamb Reduce Cut Off Mark To 120 And 100??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by femi4: 5:01pm On Jun 12, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Just because northerners are failing. Why not peg it to 50?
grin grin
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by TSRC: 5:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Just because northerners are failing. Why not peg it to 50?
Nigeria will continue to move at their pace.

if they are slow, the rest of the country will be slow with them.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Victorisoni3(m): 5:03pm On Jun 12, 2019
if u scored from 160 below gather here lets talk
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by ken6488(m): 5:13pm On Jun 12, 2019
smiley smiley with 290 unn can not give you admission
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by armadeo(m): 5:15pm On Jun 12, 2019
eleojo23:
That's too low

So 160 points out of 400 is good, abi?

Smh

I am still shocked at the mediocrity we are promoting in this country. A student who cannot score 50% is given a chance to enter a higher institution.

That score is a 3rd class in the university. So many 3rd class students are already jubilating ahead of thier failures.

Sad.

@ tobtap

2 Likes

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by na2016: 5:18pm On Jun 12, 2019
JAMB has done well by lowering the cut off mark to 160. This is 40% of the total score.
This is a welcome development after all the pass mark in the University is 40 E.

Thumbs up to JAMB!!!
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by frozen70(f): 5:20pm On Jun 12, 2019
That Jamb pegged the cut off mark at 160 doesn't make it look cheap

Passing jamb is difficult because its a CBT so giving that cut off is OK

If they gain admission and decides to lose focus in their studies, will you blame jamb again❓

Jamb has done what they deemed fit for students

Go in there and come out with good and excellent grade for graduation

1 Like

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Ndamsondaniel: 5:22pm On Jun 12, 2019

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Evangkatsoulis: 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
flexyrule:
With 249, I couldn't secure admission in 2006... 13 years later, with160 one can secure an admission and some people think we're moving forward!
Its okay.
So?
The physics, chemistry, english, biology, math you took in UTME; didn't you relearn them in your 100L/200L?
So yes, I support even a cutoff a zero.
We don't need WASSCE/UTME to study in a university.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Mydazz(m): 5:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
Pegging the cut off mark as 160 out of 400 is one of the reA sons our education sector is in comatose. It is really patethic because that in all forms of educational assessment is a Failure.

1 Like

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by chiedu7: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2019
nwakibie3:

They reduced it because of the northerners

yep
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by GOOOGLE504(m): 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
tobtap:
160/400 is failure... 200 should be the cut off mark... y shud we re-enforce failure...nawa ooo
failure is an understatement, I weep for the future of this nation..

1 Like

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Evangkatsoulis: 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
nairalee:
So jamb is even deliberately lowering the standard of education. I wonder what education policy makers are doing if not addressing this drop in standard.

So a student writes an exam over 400 and scores 160 but fails 240 and is deemed to have passed?

We all are not considering the resultant effect of this. Definitely universities will also have to Lower their standards (which is already happening) to accommodate students that are obviously below average.

I tell you the truth these students are deliberately lazy knowing jamb cutoff mark is below 200. I was speaking to 2 candidates that had not even touched their books 1 week to exam day and they were so nonchalant.

But when it comes to pressing of phone and reciting Olamide's entire Album verbatim, they would turn to Albert Einstein.

Below average by what metric?
Or you think you are above average because you scored 250+ after many sleepless nights burning the candle?
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Artzdanielsz(m): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
jamb is corrupted, they are only lower the cut off mark so a lot of people can purchase for post utme card and at the end na those that score 200 upward they will give admission.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Tammynator(m): 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
Na wa o. Years ago, I scored 248 in JAMB to study Economics in Uniport. Guess, what, it wasn't up to the cut off. We lower our standards everyday. Little wonder, my mom that didn't attend secondary school can speak, spell, read and write better than most graduates of today. It's sickening.

1 Like

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by otokx(m): 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2019
Katenavas:
make una dey deceive una self...200 Is the cut off mark of most of the school they will collect your 2k and give you crop science

Crop Science is good, what about Forestry and Wildlife Management?
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by sundayoluwatimi(m): 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2019
When you get to schools that take admission seriously, you will realise that the 40% pass mark you are celebrating won't give you the opportunity for any screening. You will be wise in the long run.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by IzzyyUnique: 6:20pm On Jun 12, 2019
skypper:
Some candidates of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) have reacted to the 160 cut-off mark for the 2019/2020 admissions process.

The candidates spoke in interviews with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Bwari.

Key stakeholders in tertiary institutions across the country on Tuesday pegged 160 as the minimum benchmark for admission of candidates for the 2019/2020 academic year.

The decision was reached at a Joint 19th Policy Meeting on Admissions to tertiary institutions in Nigeria, organised by Joint Admission and Matriculations Board (JAMB) which held in Gbongan, Osun.

Flora Chikwe, one of the candidates told NAN that she scored 180 in her UTME and was glad that her score was above the cut-off mark.

Chikwe, however, expressed concerns in the admission process, saying that some schools would find a way to frustrate admission seekers with their different admission processes.

“I feel the mark is okay, at least I scored above 160.

“However, I am sceptical about the entire process because apart from the scores, you still have catchment areas and post UTME to worry about because these schools put such into consideration.

“In fact, apart from the JAMB cut-off mark, you have to also think about the course you applied for, whether your score is applicable to the course’s cut-off mark.

“This also varies from one institution to the other,” she said.

Another candidate, Musbau Adamu also accepted the cut-off mark.

He, however, expressed concern with the institutions whom he said, often take a long time processing the admissions.

“I pray that this year will be different since JAMB has given its deadline on the admissions process.

“I also pray that the institutions will adhere to the N2,000 post UTME fees as prescribed by JAMB. If not, that money really weakens some people who cannot afford a higher cost for the process.

“More painful is after paying and you still do not get admitted into the school. We will, however, remain hopeful though,” he said.

Similarly, Mr Ceasar Adams, a teacher, who also agreed with the entire process of admissions by education stakeholders, said the process, if adhered to, would be transparent.

According to him, the cut-off mark for all the various institutions is a welcome development as it will give a lot of candidates the opportunity for admission.

He, however, advised that candidates must note that there was always a cut-off mark for the course they applied for and pray that it favoured them.

He said: “For instance, I know that the cut-off mark for science courses like medicine or pharmacy would not be anything less than 200 in most of the universities.

“So those in that area who have less than 200 cannot jubilate over the 160 mark but it is our prayer that a higher percentage of candidates are admitted into all institutions this year,” he said.

The tertiary education stakeholders also unanimously agreed to carry out admission registration procedures for institutions of first choice of candidates in all public universities from Aug. 21 to Nov. 16.

They also agreed that all state and private universities would peg minimum admission benchmark on 140 and above.

See more here https://thickmatch.com/candidates-react-jambs-160-cut-off-mark-admissions/

So, chikwe is happy because she had 180 meanwhile the cutoff is 160. She's also skeptical about schools frustrating efforts of people who didn't have up to 200. Yuck!

if she's happy with her 180, I guess my friend Chidindu with 332 should be feeling like a god

1 Like

Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by fiercehillz(m): 6:21pm On Jun 12, 2019
Katenavas:
make una dey deceive una self...200 Is the cut off mark of most of the school they will collect your 2k and give you crop science

Baba shey crop science nor be course ni
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by UncleJudax(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
Thebwoy:
Money go flow

Reduced it so that a lot of student will apply for UTME.

More money
More money

Yet no visible improvement in educational sector, nothing pains me like seeing science students esp. In yr1 being grouped by 20students set of apparatus
How would there be improvement when the cutoff is getting lower and lower.

160/400 is 40% o

Chai
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2019
Olodo students!!

Why una no go react?
No go read your book to pass post utme
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by elvhinzey(m): 7:16pm On Jun 12, 2019
Where are we headed for Christ sake?
I will be tempted to say that,"school is scam".
Now wey zuckerberg come add FREE Facebook. Doomed!
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Horlhamhi(f): 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2019
JAMB is just raising the hopes of these candidates only for it to be dashed later... cos there are schools who still won't take anything less than 200 (OAU, UI, and the likes, which are the majority). So, instead of celebrating yet, they should rather sit tight and look beyond 160
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by femmyadje(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
when cut off mark into unity schools is 150/200, prospective undergraduates are celebrating 160/400. this country is so backward
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Eavy(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
It's not a welcome message for me, that's admitting a student with 40% score into a university? terrible. Wait, what is the use of second choice by the way, all reasonable. tangible institutions requires you to apply the as first choice, yet we have up to four choices....... can't say more. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by femmyadje(m): 7:30pm On Jun 12, 2019
when cut off mark into unity schools is 150/200, prospective undergraduates are celebrating 160/400. Nigerian education is so backward. May God help us. Queens College is even 180/200
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by rerhji(m): 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2019
nwakibie3:

They reduced it because of the northerners
m currently serving in one of d south east states..nd i can categorically tell u de re nt better off here. The supervisors wont object being settled except he/she demands increased pay. The students will b told aw much to pay per subject. It think d issue is virtually everywhere not only d notherners
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Marvinspeed(m): 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
160 is too low abeg! so you get 40/100 in your four papers and boom!!! you're in university.
our educational standards keep dropping.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by JOTE(m): 8:31pm On Jun 12, 2019
JAMB should keep on lowering cut off point anyhow when 44% in a course in U.I is carry-over

SMH

keep on encouraging failure

this nation is a failure before

so, what else??

make una continue oooo!!!!!
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by Crownfitsme2019(m): 9:02pm On Jun 12, 2019
Deducing or Increasing the minimum cut-off mark is not a problem faced by JAMBITES every year. I will implore the Education stakeholders to look into providing a free and fair admission process. Getting 400/400 does not guarantee one's admission.
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by OfficialSam(m): 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2019
flexyrule:
With 249, I couldn't secure admission in 2006... 13 years later, with160 one can secure an admission and some people think we're moving forward!
Its okay.

Same here, i couldn't secure admission with 245 in 2004
Re: Candidates React To Jamb’s 160 Cut-off Mark For Admissions by officialJP(m): 9:39pm On Jun 12, 2019
Aug to November too far na, wen will second choice start der own i weak o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Death Trap Called Soak Away In Nigerian Schools / Outcome Of 2024 Utme Results, Who Is To Be Blamed? Parents, Teacher Or Students? / Unilag Student Activist Olorunfemi Remains Suspended After Seven Semesters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.