Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,490 members, 7,895,082 topics. Date: Friday, 19 July 2024 at 09:30 PM

Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. (4895 Views)

Is It Advisable To Buy Nigerian Used Bus On JIJI / This Is The Cheapest 2019 Mercedes-benz You Can Ever Buy (photos) / Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 03, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

I totally concur with this....
Not easy but possible!
And that's a hidden goldmine

But on the issue of guarantee/ warranty ....
It's just that one is documented and the other isn't....

Giving guarantees shouldn't be a problem, it's just a promise na....
So me I'd take a guarantee from someone with something to protect and warranty from someone new

There are so many hidden goldmines in Nigeria.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:13am On Jul 03, 2019
Guys guys guys we all petrol heads here

Let's stop throwing spanners please...

The spanner might hit my head.... Abeg
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by elshanAutos: 7:14am On Jul 03, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

E be like say u don dey roll with autoelectng abi

Hmmmmmmmmmm I smell an English lecture going on behind my back!
Me wen don japa, I nor do again abeg grin Na the bros win abeg make I go sleep jare grin
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by seunoj: 7:14am On Jul 03, 2019
If you have been offered same type of car for 900k, u will feel it overly priced.
One thing I have observed overtime is this. There are times there are pending issues the used owner has not be able to fix or do not have time for, if you are lucky to get a good mechanic, all will be solved n u will enjoy the car. But if u have a stupid kazeemic mecho, who will not tell u the truth, u will keep visiting his workshop for one tin or the other untill the hole in your pocket is deep and u will decide to scrap the car.

Moral, get an honest mechanic with integrity to inspect although they may not see all issues but major issues will be seen for sure.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 03, 2019
jceesquare:

The warranty/guarantee is only valid if the car is serviced by the brand authorised dealer and car still under the manufacturers guarantee.

Absolutely incorrect.

Your warranty is valid even if you do the work yourself and even if you used other parts.

The manufacturer has to prove the specifics of warranty voids.

Two case points:

1) John took his Subaru Impreza WRX to the tracks. During auto cross, he overrevved and damaged the engine.

Unfortunately for him a factory rep saw the video on YouTube. He matched the license plate to the VIN and voided the warranty on the entire vehicle. Legally. Why? The vehicle was used in speed context which is specifically mentioned in the warranty. Insurance was also voided by the way.

2) James prides himself on his ability to do simple maintenance on his cars. His vehicle has never been to a dealership except for manufacturers recalls. He changed his oil using approved non manufacturers oil and filter. His engine later threw a rod. Warranty was denied. Manufacturer ended up supplying a new engine after arbitration because James satisfies all warranty requirements. No manufacturer can compel you to use their services.

Addition:

As far as time limit, factory reps have been known to extend coverage to cover repairs after warranty has expired. It’s called goodwill gesture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:22am On Jul 03, 2019
seunoj:
If you have been offered same type of car for 900k, u will feel it overly priced.
One thing I have observed overtime is this. There are times there are pending issues the used owner has not be able to fix or do not have time for, if you are lucky to get a good mechanic, all will be solved n u will enjoy the car. But if u have a stupid kazeemic mecho, who will not tell u the truth, u will keep visiting his workshop for one tin or the other untill the hole in your pocket is deep and u will decide to scrap the car.

Moral, get an honest mechanic with integrity to inspect although they may not see all issues but major issues will be seen for sure.

Ooooooh 2million likes for u.
Someone honest with integrity has solved the problem.....

Order of quality for me for choosing a mechanic to inspect
1. Transparency (this is what I'll be doing for u when I get there)
2. Honesty (if he leaves out any details that I'm concerned about in NO 1above and I ask, he will give me a satisfying response why he will or won't carry out that test)
3. Integrity (his yes is his yes and his no is his no even when he's falling from 3,500 feet)
4. Competence.
5. Every other soft skill (friendliness, tolerance, customer centric etc)
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by Originalsly: 8:20am On Jul 03, 2019
tetralogyfallot:

exactly bro, oh I just remembered also changed the alternator.

Bro...the root of the problem is your mechanic.
On buying a used car... is not about luck.... is about research. Bottom line... how well the car was maintained.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 10:44am On Jul 03, 2019
UnitedAlliance:

Guarantee on what specifically?

It’s a law in the USA to offer warranties on used cars and services.
Thank God U said in the US. Na naija we dey.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 10:53am On Jul 03, 2019
THis one wey una wan beat una sef so... shaaa take am easy o.
Anyways thank U guys for the info shared. Atleast now I know guaranty is different from waranty.
As a professional though, i believe i shld be able to give a guranty on the quality of my work and service offered.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by ruby360: 11:30am On Jul 03, 2019
On a second thought l will advise you not to buy a car from any Yoruba man. They have a terrible maintenance culture.

Many of them within my neighborhood hardly fix problems with their car until the vehicle stops moving.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by jceesquare(m): 11:44am On Jul 03, 2019
ruby360:
On a second thought l will advise you not to buy a car from any Yoruba man. They have a terrible maintenance culture.

Many of them within my neighborhood hardly fix problems with their car until the vehicle stops moving.
Oga must you bring tribal sentiment here?
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 03, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Thank God U said in the US. Na naija we dey.

You brought up the non Nigerian reference and thus my response.

“AutoMoTech:

bro i truly get your point. You feel it doesnt make sense for you. You know about cars. But for other ppl who dont know what to look out for, they need a professional eye.
On the guarantee thing even even big car dealerships in the abroad dont ever give guarantees. It is the manufacturerthat does that. I wonder why U expect me as a mechanic to give you guarantee...heheheh”
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 12:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
UnitedAlliance:

You brought up the non Nigerian reference and thus my response.

“AutoMoTech:

bro i truly get your point. You feel it doesnt make sense for you. You know about cars. But for other ppl who dont know what to look out for, they need a professional eye.
On the guarantee thing even even big car dealerships in the abroad dont ever give guarantees. It is the manufacturerthat does that. I wonder why U expect me as a mechanic to give you guarantee...heheheh”

Ok now I get the response.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by tripoli007(m): 5:59pm On Jul 03, 2019
squarelead:
It depends on luck. My first car was a used car and gave similar issues as yours, my brother that car was agbaana, as yorubas will say. Changed gear and a lot of other stuffs and still the same. Sold it and got a another used naija vehicle, bro I dey enjoy am no be lie. Not everyone sells cos the car is faulty, some sell cos they want to upgrade. I was just lucky for the second car Sha.

My 1st car a 2003 corolla , was Naija used , I did not change anything in that car for 2years aside regular oil change .. Sold it last year bought a 2006 Camry , and I am enjoying it till tomorrow ,make a little research before buying .. Asides Toyota I can't buy any other car 2nd hand

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2019
tripoli007:

My 1st car a 2003 corolla , was Naija used , I did not change anything in that car for 2years aside regular oil change .. Sold it last year bought a 2006 Camry , and I am enjoying it till tomorrow ,make a little research before buying .. Asides Toyota I can't buy any other car 2nd hand

Try nissan na grin

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by tetralogyfallot(m): 6:48pm On Jul 03, 2019
tripoli007:

u r very lucky then cos it more or less like gambling.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by orahfrancis(m): 7:47am On Jul 04, 2019
My first car was a Nigerian used VW passat. I used this car for good 4 years without issues.when i solf i bought a used Peugeot 307 that csr drained me i sold and bought another 307 from a retired army. The it revvs just like a brand new. I advice buyers to do all due diligence before buying one.the truth is that some nigerian used cars are as good as new ones. And finally when buying a used car please i repeat buy from a rich man who maintains his cars not from a poor man who cannot eat talk less of maintaining a car. If u know u know. The three used cars i bought proved this right
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 9:48am On Jul 04, 2019
orahfrancis:
My first car was a Nigerian used VW passat. I used this car for good 4 years without issues.when i solf i bought a used Peugeot 307 that csr drained me i sold and bought another 307 from a retired army. The it revvs just like a brand new. I advice buyers to do all due diligence before buying one.the truth is that some nigerian used cars are as good as new ones. And finally when buying a used car please i repeat buy from a rich man who maintains his cars not from a poor man who cannot eat talk less of maintaining a car. If u know u know. The three used cars i bought proved this right
Contrary... if the rich man has a driver that has been servicing with 20w50 rather than 0w20 nko?
Vehicle maintenence has nothing to do with financiL status. It is a thing of the mind sir. ITs either you care about your car and take good kia of it or u dnt care as long as d engine starts u r good to go. Some of this big men suffer in the hands of our so called "big" workshops. They pay thousands for servicing, bt the workshop dey service their motor with low oil grade.... u see say nob about how much.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by valarinz: 9:59am On Jul 04, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

this is why that area is still very grey!
at least for toks vehicles one can see history which will aid make an informed decision....

buying naija used with just ones intellect as guarantee that the deal is good is just not enough for me......
so if something else turns up that the mech failed to spot, who will be held responsible?

buyer, seller, mechanic or village people?

I only love taking calculated risks that can be hedged if need be.....
this is why, I started learning about cars in the first place....

I learnt the hard way that men do not always keep their word.....
I have spent money on things with just assurance that the deal is sealed.... from top guys in that specific Industry....

when the going goes south, you start hearing stuff like, these things happen from time to time.... it escaped me and all that....

all the long preaching just to create a lame excuse for failing....
anyways I usually love doing biz (also buying cars) with people with a lot to protect... esp online....
I know that if the money get as e take go, I can always try to create a scene online.....

it's a grey area without any straight forward direction if mechanic cannot be held accountable for certain mishaps.....

if I buy a car today, and I paid for inspection only for me to discover tomorrow that the whole underneath is rusted, na mechanic I go still hold accountable oh.

Exactly what legalwealth was thinking, see where it got him

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:36am On Jul 04, 2019
valarinz:

Exactly what legalwealth was thinking, see where it got him

You are also very correct.... Now I'm back to the middle.

But for what it's worth, legal.wealth made so many bad choices, including outrightly returning the vehicle....

I would never give away my bargaining chip... Infact he had calculus. X by the balls with his HP deal.

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by udemzyudex(m): 2:44am On Jul 05, 2019
The Nigeria repair industry still have a long way to go.

The funny thing is that the so called kazeem doesn't want to upgrade, technology is changing yet you see them using old techniques to repair new cars.

You hardly see them go to seminars or enroll in online programs to increase their knowledge about their job.

The young ones that are learning will continue from where they stop, smh.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by adewasco2k(m): 8:18am On Jul 05, 2019
tripoli007:

me and you are on same pattern, sold my corolla 2003 last month and bought a 2006 camry. Although both were direct toks.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by nemadfsyahooc: 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2019
When u buy motor of 100k and u say make e no die for road? GBE bodie
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by tripoli007(m): 5:20pm On Jul 05, 2019
AutoMoTech:

Try nissan na grin

I never won die bros .. Na me be the only boy ,wey my mama born grin cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by autologic: 5:51pm On Jul 05, 2019
Most time,seller of car will secretly offer some incentive to even the " so -called professional technician that want to do inspection so as to certify the car ok with all the obvious fault .
so see another reason even integrity and character of the technician even count apart from competence and also be ready to treat him well to so as to serve u with sincere mind .
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by AutoMoTech(m): 7:02pm On Jul 05, 2019
tripoli007:

I never won die bros .. Na me be the only boy ,wey my mama born grin cheesy grin cheesy
Hahahaha no worry. Mama go arrange anoda one tongue

1 Like

Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by tetralogyfallot(m): 7:15pm On Jul 05, 2019
autologic:
Most time,seller of car will secretly offer some incentive to even the " so -called professional technician that want to do inspection so as to certify the car ok with all the obvious fault .
so see another reason even integrity and character of the technician even count apart from competence and also be ready to treat him well to so as to serve u with sincere mind .
exactly! Kaduna kazeeems are fond of doing that. They have their bargaining language they use even in your present.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by froze6(m): 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2019
[quote author=tetralogyfallot post=79850332]I was so unfortunate to waste my 600k to purchase a 9ja used ford focus. I have spent over 300k trying to fix either one problem or the other. The car keeps developing from one fault to another. I've replaced top gasket about 2 times, replaced ac compressor, fix the leaky ac pipes, replaced the engine manifold as the mechanic said it was not the follow come manifold that is on the engine and if I did not change it d car would be emitting smoke, I've replaced air flow meter, I've changed fuel pump like 5 times at last I just have to buy the complete fuel pump kit that was removed from accidented car, I've changed the lever gear as it gear hardens anytime I want to reverse, I've changed fan belts like 2 times, I've replaced the nozzles of the car as I was told it may be the cause of high fuel consumption. I've changed the clutch disc.ford ford that car is only for those that have the money to import the spear part,ford an average nigeria should not even think of it.
Re: Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car. by froze6(m): 9:02pm On Jul 05, 2019
tripoli007:

God Bless you hardly would you find toyota "corolla" in mechanic work shops "if am right" even mechanics say's that if every body uses corolla they would not eat well,and their also car makers that are good not only toyota,yes let any body that want to buy make resarch but some people also want cheap cars too so they are at risk.my opinion

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! My Car Is Consuming Engine Oil And There's No Smoke From The Exhaust / Engine Oil To Use For Camry 2012 -2013 / Please I Need Opinions On 2001 Honda Civic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.