Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,405 members, 7,950,900 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 05:04 AM

We Were Called Prostitutes In Bauchi – Female Candidates Share Bitter Experience - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Were Called Prostitutes In Bauchi – Female Candidates Share Bitter Experience (521 Views)

Kwara, Kogi Female Candidates Converge In Ilorin For Women Radio Workshop / APC National Women Leader Seeks Chinese Govt’s Support For Female Candidates / "Tope Adebutu Said Obasanjo's Daughters Are Prostitutes" - Taiwo Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Were Called Prostitutes In Bauchi – Female Candidates Share Bitter Experience by Raydommy(m): 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2019
Women candidates in the last elections in Bauchi State have cried out for being tagged “prostitutes” for participating in politics.

A cross-section of the women who spoke at a Women Candidates Dialogue Forum, organized by the Young Leaders Network (YLN) which held in Bauchi lamented that this was discouraging women from engaging in politics.

The forum brought women from different political parties to assess the challenges they faced during the last general elections and sought for ways to address them.

Speaking during the interactions, the Green Party of Nigeria Candidate for Bogoro Constituency in the last election, Mantuda Adamu, who said that the major challenge she faced was in the aspect of finance, however, lamented that she was labelled a prostitute because of her doggedness.

She said: “As a woman, if you come out boldly to contest in Bauchi State, they will say you are a prostitute. If they call you for a meeting at about 10 or 11pm, people will say you want to go for business (prostitution) and not for politics.”

Adamu recounted that when she approached the major political parties to contest under their platforms, she realized that it was capital intensive because “most of the delegates asked me what I have to offer them.”

According to her: “Some of them asked for motorcycles, some for N100, 000 and some N50, 000. As a woman, if you are not in the position to offer them these, they won’t vote for you.”

Another candidate, Balkisu Ayuba, who contested the Dass Constituency under the Social Democratic Party (SDP), said that some of the executives of the party said she would not be allowed to contest in the party because she was not yet married.

She stated that her life was also threatened on the day she flagged off her campaign.

“I had an accident the day I went to buy my nomination form and I also had another accident the day I flagged off my campaign, I got an anonymous call from a woman who said to me: “Step aside and don’t contest again or I swear to God, you will die if you refuse.

“I told her I won’t but at a point, I felt like quitting, it was my mentor that stopped me from doing that.”

Read more here https://thickmatch.com/2019-elections-called-prostitutes-bauchi-female-candidates-share-bitter-experience/

Re: We Were Called Prostitutes In Bauchi – Female Candidates Share Bitter Experience by Rhaspody(m): 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2019
North don't have respect for women
Re: We Were Called Prostitutes In Bauchi – Female Candidates Share Bitter Experience by RichBoy247: 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2019
Rhaspody:
North don't have respect for women

Only female prostitutes do meetings with men at night.

(1) (Reply)

Osun S/Court Judgement: Democracy, Judiciary Bleeding Under Buhari - Timi Frank / Buhari As Head Of State Was On The Same Rank With COSSH, CDS, COAS / Police Killed The Channels TV Reporter Just To Tarnish Our Image - Shi'ites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.