Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,087 members, 7,890,598 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 04:39 PM

Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices (11246 Views)

Reps Clash Over Warrant Of Arrest On Emefiele / APC, PDP Reps Clash Over Comments On Buhari's Sins, Defection Plan To PDP / PDP Elects Kingsley Chinda As Reps Minority Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Islie: 11:07am On Jul 03, 2019
Leke Baiyewu, Abuja

Crisis is looming in the House of Representatives as members are on a collision course over the appointment of leaders for the chamber .
The PUNCH learnt on Tuesday that the Speaker, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila , was in a dilemma on how to share the principal offices .

Credible sources in the chamber disclosed that while the leadership of the ruling All Progressives Congress has nominated candidates , the Speaker, who is eager to fulfill his campaign promises to his loyalists especially former aspirants who stepped down for him , has other nominees .

The National Working Committee of the APC had on Saturday ratified the appointments of Nkeiruka Onyejeocha ( Abia State, South -East ) as Deputy Majority Leader and Peter Akpatason ( Edo State , South -South ) as Chief Whip.

Other principal offices that have remained vacant include the Majority Leader , which has been zoned to Kano State ( North - West ) and the Deputy Chief Whip, zoned to the North -East.
At the plenary on Tuesday , Gbajabiamila said Mr Abdulrazak Namdas ( Adamawa, North -East ) had been nominated as Chief Whip.

“ Honourable Namdas , please take the seat at the front , you have been nominated as acting Chief Whip. Take the position as you wait for your confirmation , ” he said.

The Speaker, however , kept mum on other principal offices , even though the President of the Senate , Ahmad Lawan , named the officers in the upper chamber on Tuesday .

Addressing journalists after the day ’s session , a member of the House Ad Hoc Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr Bamidele Salam, said the Speaker was still consulting on the appointments and would announce the officers by the end of the week .

“ A few journalists approached the Media and Public Affairs Committee of the House of Representatives to ask why the other principal positions of the House were not announced at today ’s plenary and I did say it was not announced because there is a need for wider and further consultations by the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker, to be sure that whatever is going to be announced is in consonance with the provisions of our rules .

“ And I did say that before the week runs out , there will be an announcement of all the other principal officers of the House ; the Majority Leader , Deputy Majority Leader , Chief Whip, Deputy Chief Whip, Minority Whip, Deputy Minority Whip. Before the week runs out , the consultations will be over and they will be announced ,” he said.

Another former aspirant , who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, however , disclosed that the announcement was delayed as interests had clashed over the appointments .

The lawmaker said, “ We are having issues . The reason why the man ( Speaker) has not announced ( the officers) is that there is a problem concerning the Leader of the House . It was zoned to Kano and in the state , some of them don ’t want Garba Ado -Doguwa ; some of them want Aminu Suleiman . The National Chairman of the APC ( Adams Oshiomhole ) prefers Suleiman , but the Governor of Kano ( Abdullahi Ganduje) and other stakeholders prefer Ado- Doguwa. So, we are having a stalemate .

“ Even the Deputy Leader is a problem . Initially , Onyejeocha was named the Deputy Leader , now they have taken Akpatason as the Deputy Leader instead of Deputy Chief Whip. They now want to give her Deputy Chief Whip. Akpatason was named Deputy Chief Whip in the earlier proposal . Now , they have given Mohammed Monguno ( Borno , North -East) the Chief Whip position . Akpatason is the candidate of the ( APC ) chairman . ”

When asked if Onyejeocha would accept to drop Deputy Leader for Deputy Whip, the source said , “ No, the woman will not agree. The woman is more senior ( in rank) . She will not agree. ”
Onyejeocha could not be reached to react to the new arrangement .

https://punchng.com/crisis-looms-as-reps-clash-over-principal-offices/
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by DIKEnaWAR: 11:10am On Jul 03, 2019
Gbajabiamila is a sound Legislator, but lack the temperament and emotional intelligence to preside over 359 divergent views and interests. I hope the northerners who are supporting him now don't get tired and push him off, before he completes his term of office.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by MGab25(m): 11:26am On Jul 03, 2019
Hmm! Make dem no start Fight oo
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by ask4double(m): 2:05pm On Jul 03, 2019
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by hisexcellency34: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
I said it, Gbajabiamila cannot last as Speaker. They will soon impeach him

1 Like

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by thankfulsoul: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
Okay na. Continue
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by MGab25(m): 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2019
Read Facts About The Most Expensive Bird’ Feather In The World- Costs $10,000

Read Here- https://www.yugo.com.ng/facts-about-the-most-expensive-bird-feather-in-the-world-costs-10000/

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by babyfaceafrica: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2019
DIKEnaWAR:
Gbajabiamila is a sound Legislator, but lack the temperament and emotional intelligence to preside over 359 divergent views and interests. I hope the northerners who are supporting him now don't get tired and push him off, before he completes his term of office.
after just of month.
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by akilo1: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2019
Gather here if this news don concern u like me
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Philinho(m): 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2019
I the smell impeachment in this tenure
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by AbuuBilaal(m): 2:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
Clowns fighting for national cake.
Politicians and fraud are like 5&6
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by GentleMoney: 2:09pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hmm..

1 Like

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by itsme01: 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2019
shocked
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by davinking(m): 2:10pm On Jul 03, 2019
why dis 4 our country lets be matured in everything we do
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Kingosytex(m): 2:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
If crisis comes, Deji will lead a protest to the National Assembly.
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by ajebuter(f): 2:12pm On Jul 03, 2019
Deep down

These clowns are fighting for their own pockets and interests

Forget story
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by YorubaHero12: 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2019
hisexcellency34:
Clap for yourself Mr. Soothsayer

1 Like

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Kingosytex(m): 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2019
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by AbuuBilaal(m): 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2019
Kingosytex:
tongue

Is it your N? angry
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by barinedan(m): 2:19pm On Jul 03, 2019
We Cannot Make Any Meaningful Progress With This Kind Of law Makers
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Stan232: 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2019
Chinese aza is available.rate is 25% hit me up on Whatsapp on 08168152166
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by yarimo(m): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
hisexcellency34:
from their comments it's very easy to detect PDP and IPOB member.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Cherrybae(f): 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2019
This is none of my business. I'm only interested in Igbos matter, cos I carry it on my hand.

Thank God I didn't marry onyeka that stingy yeboo guy
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by bluecircle470: 2:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
DIKEnaWAR:

Spewing rubbish

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by xnsandrxns: 4:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
DIKEnaWAR:
Your ignorance is deep
You think the Speaker is solely responsible for appointing principal officers?
Go and get yourself educated
It is the majorly the function of the ruling political party
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by DIKEnaWAR: 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2019
xnsandrxns:

Your ignorance is deep
You think the Speaker is solely responsible for appointing principal officers?
Go and get yourself educated
It is the majorly the function of the ruling political party

If you are not an slowpoke that is programmed for online attacks, you would have seen where he has jettisoned party directive in appointing Namdas as "acting chief whip, pending confirmation".

Some of you think everyone here is your mate and fellow attack dog. Sometimes when we speak, we speak because we know these people and their capacity. Gbaja is not fit for Speaker. He can be a House leader, but not Speaker.

�� It has started. Plenary is yet to start, proper. Dogara, even as an opposition Speaker had a smooth sail, because he was very mature, emotionally and politically.

https://punchng.com/breaking-reps-in-free-for-all-as-gbajabiamila-suspends-plenary/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Lanre4uonly(m): 4:31pm On Jul 03, 2019
Ok. Fingers crossed.
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by Mikeidumokhai12(m): 4:45pm On Jul 03, 2019
Nigerian Leaders.
Re: Crisis Looms As Reps Clash Over Principal Offices by xnsandrxns: 4:46pm On Jul 03, 2019
DIKEnaWAR:

If you are not an slowpoke that is programmed for online attacks, you would have seen where he has jettisoned party directive in appointing Namdas as "acting chief whip, pending confirmation".

Some of you think everyone here is your mate and fellow attack dog. Sometimes when we speak, we speak because we know these people and their capacity. Gbaja is not fit for Speaker. He can be a House leader, but not Speaker.

�� It has started. Plenary is yet to start, proper. Dogara, even as an opposition Speaker had a smooth sail, because he was very mature, emotionally and politically.

https://punchng.com/breaking-reps-in-free-for-all-as-gbajabiamila-suspends-plenary/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Lol
You must be going through a lot of pain
Just spewing rubbish
Where did it say he jettisoned party directive?
Is it your time of the month?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Conrad Utaan Defects To PDP From APC With Over 6,000 Supporters / We’ll Rule Lagos For 35 More Years – APC / #biafran Veterans Storm Aba Streets In Protest These Are War Veterans(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.