Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,411 members, 7,891,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:27 PM

Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. (814 Views)

Mathematics Is The Easiest Course To Study - FUTMINNA Best Student / Studying Mathematics is Killing Me / NUC Ranks Ahmadu Bello University No 1 In Nigeria (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. by Mrshape: 8:40pm On Jul 06, 2019
Not everyone have the intellectual ability to attend a university.
not everyone who have the ability has trained him self for the task.
But it is know a fact that every genius in mathematics can perform most intellectual task effectively. That is the answer to a decade old question of why engineers get employed in banks before considering a banker.
My parents used to tell me about a time were few people go to the university and immediately they graduate they get good job because the jobs are available for the few qualified.
Alot of students drop out of school because of series of failure and they fix them self to learn a trade or skill and life went well for them too.
So primary and secondary school was like a sieve to separate students base on their ability thus in every aspect of life people were fixed and it was efficient.

Were I think we got it wrong.

The proliferation of private profit oriented schools in Nigeria.
And
The let my people go syndrome.

Private schools no longer care about if the child learn what they want is population whether he pass on not his score must be upgraded he must go to the next class.
Many say a good teacher will make a child learn.
But I am against that, in mathematics a teacher will only facilitate the lerning process by making the child understand the concept. To learn(permanent change in behavior) is an individual thing. A child who do not got back to study hard and practice mathematics must forget the concept the teacher taught, thus he has not learn.
Remember mathematics is an interwoven subject likewise its topic. Thus you can't expect to be a forgetful hearer and expect to do well in it.
But if you may ask, why will a student not want to study and practice so that he can learn?
The Answer
He know that whether he learn or not he will archive is goal (pass to the next class)
My recommendations.
(1) The federal/state government should set termly mathematics exam for every school in the country/state.
(2) the school teacher should mark the paper.
(3) any child that fail should repeat the class.
(4) if the child should go to another school he should present all his maths pass before admitting him.
(5) maths inspectors should visit schools regularly to randomly test the ability of the children in maths
(6) if any child obviously didn't pass the cheap random test the it is obvious the school assisted him in writing the termly maths exam. Then the school pay a fine equivalent to 3 term school fee. And the child is demoted to a class were his maths ability is.

With this people will take education seriously and not certificate, the few that are successfully will be productive and innovative to the society.
Then those that formal education do not favour or don't prefer former education. can check places like sports,vocational education, trade and some other productive aspect of life.

If you are having plans of insulting me try that shape you might have a rethink.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. by budaatum: 9:22pm On Jul 06, 2019
Mrshape:
in mathematics a teacher will only facilitate the learning process by making the child understand the concept. To learn(permanent change in behavior) is an individual thing. A child who do not got back to study hard and practice mathematics must forget the concept the teacher taught, thus he has not learn.
3 like for you!

My dad would open maths text book count 10 or so pages and say "go do the exercises". If I'm lucky, there'd be 30 questions on simultaneous equation or something equally as yuk and if not there'd be up to 50 of something even yukkier, so 7pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday I'm working on them and by about 3 days I'd be done and hand it over to be marked and I'll get only 3 correct out of 30.

"Go and do them all again", dad would say, and would keep saying till I'm getting over 70% right. Then it's, "Go and write an essay comparing Buhari's regime with Obasanjo's", and all I can think of is what's the best way to get rid of this slave master who would look at the first draft of my essay and say "I can't read that! Go and write it again", then look at the second draft and ask, "where's the plan for your essay?"

And I had a plan, for my first draft which in no way resembles my by now edited and nicely polished second draft. So its "go and write a plan for your essay and then rewrite the essay"! After which we're back to 10 pages of maths text book!

I wrote an essay for school once using my 'plan' and my form 4 teacher said I couldn't have written it, I must have copied it from somewhere, and dragged me in front of the principal who was going to beat me until I begged him to please let me show him samples of other essays I'd written. She still kicked me out of her English class that year and the next! I saw her when I went back to get my WAEC.

"atum", she said, "I bet you failed English".

"Failed English ma?" Said I, and waved my A1 Maths and A1 English Language WAEC in her face.

Maths is, "If you do not sow, you sure definitely will not reap!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. by Martinez39(m): 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2019
budaatum:
3 like for you!

My dad would open maths text book count 10 or so pages and say "go do the exercises". If I'm lucky, there'd be 30 questions on simultaneous equation or something equally as yuk and if not there'd be up to 50 of something even yukkier, so 7pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday I'm working on them and by about 3 days I'd be done and hand it over to be marked and I'll get only 3 correct out of 30.

"Go and do them all again", dad would say, and would keep saying till I'm getting over 70% right. Then it's, "Go and write an essay comparing Buhari's regime with Obasanjo's", and all I can think of is what's the best way to get rid of this slave master who would look at the first draft of my essay and say "I can't read that! Go and write it again", then look at the second draft and ask, "where's the plan for your essay?"

And I had a plan, for my first draft which in no way resembles my by now edited and nicely polished second draft. So its "go and write a plan for your essay and then rewrite the essay"! After which we're back to 10 pages of maths text book!

I wrote an essay for school once using my 'plan' and my form 4 teacher said I couldn't have written it, I must have copied it from somewhere, and dragged me in front of the principal who was going to beat me until I begged him to please let me show him samples of other essays I'd written. She still kicked me out of her English class that year and the next! I saw her when I went back to get my WAEC.

"atum", she said, "I bet you failed English".

"Failed English ma?" Said I, and waved my A1 Maths and A1 English Language WAEC in her face.

Maths is, "If you do not sow, you sure definitely will not reap!

A bright student, you are. I agree with your write up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. by budaatum: 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2019
Martinez39:
A bright student, you are. I agree with your write up.
No, not a "bright student" at all, I would say, but a student who works really hard to be bright. Because whenever I do not put in the work, I fail, woefully.
Re: Mathematics Is The Solution To Education/job Problem In Nigeria. See How. by Martinez39(m): 8:25pm On Jul 07, 2019
budaatum:

No, not a "bright student" at all, I would say, but a student who works really hard to be bright.
Okay. wink

(1) (Reply)

Apply For SIIT Graduate Scholarship Program For Excellent Foreign Students (EFS) / Why You Should Consider Studying In South Cyprus / 2020/2021 Australian Scholarships For Nigerian Students Application Portal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.