Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,798 members, 7,915,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 07:40 PM

Phd Requirement - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Phd Requirement (3155 Views)

Rasheed Jimoh-Ijaodola, Muslim Professor Bags PhD In Christian Studies / Lady Who Survived A Car Crash That Killed Her Entire Family, Bags PhD At 27 / Nkechi Chidi-Ogbolu Bags PHD Scholarship At University Of California At Age 18 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phd Requirement by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 08, 2019
To whom it may concern,. Why do some school accept 3.50 and then categorized it as 60% whereas other schools accept 4.0 and categorized it as 60%?
A student from one of the prestigious universities complained bitterly to me than OAU ask him to do M.Phil even when he had 60%. His university uses percentage format instead of CGPA. Please I need honest contribution on this.
Re: Phd Requirement by Nukilia: 12:53am On Jul 09, 2019
OAU requires that you have min 60% grade in your masters before proceeding for PhD, else you are admitted for MPhil. If you can get another school, go there...

2 Likes

Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 09, 2019
Nukilia:
OAU requires that you have min 60% grade in your masters before proceeding for PhD, else you are admitted for MPhil. If you can get another school, go there...
Yea I know but am writing in respect to the guy that complained. If I may ask, is 3.5 the same as 60% or 4.0 same as 60%?
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 09, 2019
First picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNIBEN : 60% or cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0
Second picture is the PhD admission requirement for UNN: cgpa of 3.5 on a scale of 5.0 or weighted average of 60%. Is there any benchmark or universities at liberty to increase their cut?

Re: Phd Requirement by amadiwati(m): 11:23am On Jul 09, 2019
Everything about oau is different. They don't even belief you were taught in you're university that should meet their standard.

Take the M.Phil or go elsewhere.
However, if you have time to all this, if you go oau you'll be glad you went to school.
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 09, 2019
amadiwati:
Everything about oau is different. They don't even belief you were taught in you're university that should meet their standard.

However, if you have time to all this, if you go oau you'll be glad you went to school.
Thanks I will give him the feedback
Re: Phd Requirement by subcbouy: 3:40pm On Jul 09, 2019
amadiwati:

Overrated!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Phd Requirement by neoclassical: 3:57pm On Jul 09, 2019
I am also in need of answer to this question but nobody has been able to answer OP's question convincingly. What is the difference between 60% and 3.5 in the calculation? Anybody with a good answer should pls help us.
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
Please I need answers too I want to learn.
cc:lalasticlala please help me move this
Re: Phd Requirement by uniquehealth: 5:16pm On Jul 10, 2019
neoclassical:
I am also in need of answer to this question but nobody has been able to answer OP's question convincingly. What is the difference between 60% and 3.5 in the calculation? Anybody with a good answer should pls help us.
3.5 is the CGPA (cummulative grade point average) while 60% is the weighted average. It depends on the format the school uses to process it's students' result. Though many are accustomed to the CGPA format especially for undergraduate studies however, for graduate studies, the weighted average in percentage usually applies e.g in OAU, undergraduate uses the CGPA while postgraduate college uses the weighted average for results. If you consider some foreign schools, they prefer the CGPA format even for graduate studies e.g Canada and Australia. In summary, it depends on the school. No matter the type of format the final result it expressed with, there is a conversion system that can be applied to express it in either way
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 10, 2019
uniquehealth:

3.5 is the CGPA (cummulative grade point average) while 60% is the weighted average. It depends on the format the school uses to process it's students' result. Though many are accustomed to the CGPA format especially for undergraduate studies however, for graduate studies, the weighted average in percentage usually applies e.g in OAU, undergraduate uses the CGPA while postgraduate college uses the weighted average for results. If you consider some foreign schools, they prefer the CGPA format even for graduate studies e.g Canada and Australia. In summary, it depends on the school. No matter the type of format the final result it expressed with, there is a conversion system that can be applied to express it in either way
Thanks. Why I raised this issue is the fact that a friend of mine had scored above 60% (Weighed Average Score) but he was told to do M.Phil at University of Lagos where he applied for Phd. He had his M.sc at Uniben but thought of changing environment hence he opted for University of Lagos. Unfortunately as alleged by him,he was asked to do M.Phil. My question is, is 3.5CGPA equivalent to 60% Weighed Average Score ? If yes why do some Universities insist on 4.0 CGPA or 60% any difference between the two?.
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
Your friend will not be admitted for PhD directly (even if he scored 80%) since he did not get his masters from that same school.
They will ask him to do MPhil/PhD, or just MPhil.

The 60% rule is applicable only to those students who got thier MSc from them.

This has been the trend in Nigerian schools, especially federal schools in the south.

1 Like

Re: Phd Requirement by Xlyad(m): 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2019
asuustrike1:

Thanks. Why I raised this issue is the fact that a friend of mine had scored above 60% (Weighed Average Score) but he was told to do M.Phil at University of Lagos where he applied for Phd. He had his M.sc at Uniben but thought of changing environment hence he opted for University of Lagos. Unfortunately as alleged by him,he was asked to do M.Phil. My question is, is 3.5CGPA equivalent to 60% Weighed Average Score ? If yes why do some Universities insist on 4.0 CGPA or 60% any difference between the two?.
PHd requirements vary across schools. For UNILAG it is 4.0 , for UNN it is 3.5 with the exception of about 3 departments including Economics where 4.0 is required. Moreover, UNILAG doesnot discriminate based on which school one finished from. If your CGPA lies between 3.5 and 3.99 one is mandated to take the MPhil route for which you will finish same time as the regular PHd students. MPhil is just like a one year probation after which you become a PHd student
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
Xlyad:
PHd requirements vary across schools. For UNILAG it is 4.0 , for UNN it is 3.5 with the exception of about 3 departments including Economics where 4.0 is required. Moreover, UNILAG doesnot discriminate based on which school one finished from. If your CGPA lies between 3.5 and 3.99 one is mandated to take the MPhil route for which you will finish same time as the regular PHd students. MPhil is just like a one year probation after which you become a PHd student
Thank you
Re: Phd Requirement by dangotesmummy: 9:59pm On Aug 04, 2019
I will advise your friend to posoke raja.he should go elsewhere except he wants to spend a decade with old frustrated, expired and haggard lecturers
Re: Phd Requirement by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 04, 2019
dangotesmummy:
I will advise your friend to posoke raja.he should go elsewhere except he wants to spend a decade with old frustrated, expired and haggard lecturers
Abi na grin grin grin grin. I was reading a thread created in 2016 about postgraduate experience. I saw so many comments. Some were funny while some were true.
Re: Phd Requirement by dangotesmummy: 10:26pm On Aug 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

Abi na grin grin grin grin. I was reading a thread created in 2016 about postgraduate experience. I saw so many comments. Some were funny while some were true.
the truth is that oau is just living on past glory.its a dead school already . make your friend find better school go

The school be like Nigeria just big for nothing.occupying unnecessary space

If lecturer give you assignment and you go Hezekiah ilesanmi library (the university library) na 1973 books,1683,1960,1769.i realised that the only recent books they have na 1979 books.no updating or living with the times at all.they glory in she spent 16 years before I graduated her with their over inflated egos and rickety cars as old as Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Strange Historical Facts You'll Have A Hard Time Believing / Man Publicly Denounces Cult, Claims He's Given Life To Christ (Photos) / How Hard Could Medicine Be Should I Start The Course Please Read

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.