Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,687 members, 7,930,374 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 04:39 PM

George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After (46591 Views)

George Iwilade - Afrika / 21 Years After: The Blood Of George Iwilade "AFRIKA" Still Cry For Justice. / Throwback Pics Of Iwilade Afrika, Omoyele Sowore And Lanre Legacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by shogsman(m): 12:15pm On Jul 10, 2019
OvaSabi1:

What's the name of the movie?

Forgot the name,it was the best Yoruba movie I've seen,and trust me I don't watch yoruba movies, but this one was very intense

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 12:18pm On Jul 10, 2019
Bruno Arinze is a lowlife on Facebook

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by ThatFairGuy: 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2019
Omo University. Yoruba movie
Kenneth10110:

Can you help with the movie title ?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by GEEBITE: 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2019
You are absolutely spot on with this account.Many of you here are really young,I was working on my dissertation in the library overnight after some little flexing up till 10.30pm at new buka. I have an idea of who your brother could be.
thewatcher2020:

I still remember this story like I was there! My brother was there... he was playing scrabble game with one of the murdered student Eviano an Isoko boy. He Eviano played some “heavy” grammar which my bro screamed “Lai lai I dey go collect Chambers from them Austin room...”

My bro passed some of the guys on his way and by sheer coincidence he was actually running to go grab the dictionary before they fired a shot into their room. Eviano died. Geez! Bro never went back to Ife after that... he was shattered after that experience. I was barely 9!

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by anonimi: 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
It's still the same story you are reading online..

Okay then.
Many thanks for your confirmation as I thought that you may have a fresh angle to it.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by OvaSabi1(f): 12:22pm On Jul 10, 2019
shogsman:

Forgot the name,it was the best Yoruba movie I've seen,and trust me I don't watch yoruba movies, but this one was very intense

Any notable actors that you can mention? How long ago did you watch the movie?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by emsco(m): 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2019
I like to meet those men who survived that horrific night
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by shogsman(m): 12:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
OvaSabi1:

Any notable actors that you can mention? How long ago did you watch the movie?

Yeah a lot actually, there is Gabriel afolayan and a lot of them, I think it's been like 5-6 years now.

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 12:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Odinma. Thanks for the telling me grin
cheesy
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by 2mch(m): 12:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
Shame on Guardian Newspaper for appointing Wale Omole to their board.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by sexdoll: 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2019
twenty years already...?

eyaaaa... how time flies!
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by MicroSweet(m): 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2019
Rextizz:
Mehn just like yesterday, I remember everything vividly.
Would you be kind enough to give us your account of that night of massacre?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by TmKonzept: 12:42pm On Jul 10, 2019
Flier:
I was one of those that jumped off block 8 Awo hall
It wasn’t sponsored by anybody thou we all believed Omole who happened to be Vc then was a member of confranity
It got a point where you can’t even walk at night on campus,killing here and there so Africa and Legacy successful set up a security team which comprises of heavily huge students
So they successfully apprehended 9 cultist and parades them around the campus unclad
About 4 months later we were attacked around block 8 and 5, africa was sleeping with his girl friends so they were both killed,Legacy wasn’t around
About 5 student lost their life while about 200 injured,it wasn’t a night to remember but if I can remember those cultist came from Unilag to take revenge for their members arrested and paraded unclad 4 months earlier
They killed africa,Yemi,Babatunde,Godfrey and Africa’s girl Friend
You lied;
1. No female was killed in the attack
2. Lanre legacy was around and escaped death by a stroke of luck
3. It is not a rumour, Wale Omole sponsored the massacre

5 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Rextizz(m): 12:54pm On Jul 10, 2019
MicroSweet:

Would you be kind enough to give us your account of that night of massacre?
I wasn't there, It was my cousin that gisted me about the incident.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by imam07: 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2019
femi4:
Outside always have a way of influencing inside. The indegenes have their sons and daughters in the campus too
before cultism existed within the school. Even if u are staying outside d campus, your craze go dey within d school environment.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by efeski(m): 12:56pm On Jul 10, 2019
Na axemen pull this hit
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by ajebuter(f): 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2019
youghs:
wetin apen for July 10th

Campus cultists invaded Boy's Hostel in OAU Ife and killed several student union leaders who were against cultisim

It was rumored that the VC then was the culprit and he was removed..

Justice was never served because the killers were not caught till date

It was tragic in Nigeria that day
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Gaspardd(m): 1:11pm On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
My Alma mater.

It's no beans graduating from OAU. Miss the amphitheater shows, night readings, new buka etc
What year did u graduate?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2019
Gaspardd:

What year did u graduate?
Last year. Any better?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Gaspardd(m): 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Last year. Any better?
2018? Wow. Also oau, finished 2013 but i aint proud of it cuz i learnt nothing.

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by GEEBITE: 1:17pm On Jul 10, 2019
Spot on too,child of the 90s. He was abducted in broad day light and injected with an unknown substance.I recall how SUG guys attacked central cafe that was being run by Tunde Shobowale's(T-prime) mum after her son in a rarely seen kamikaze boldness then attacked a rival with a machete in front of their fresh senate building in broad daylight spilling blood all over.They destroyed all her wares to teach her parental lesson she didnt give her son.The crazy guy never changed,even in marriage he battered Foluke Daramola till that one ran away.
Amalekki:
May their souls rest in peace. Theirs was a truly bold move. A rare act of bravery to protect the reputation of OAU as one of the few Nigerian universities with minimal cult activities. Ife was never a cultism hotspot. Some of these cultists started making brazen attempts to strengthen their nodes at Ife. They were rebuffed & heroically stopped. The supreme price was paid by these rare individuals.

Omoyele Sowore (The same one) fought a similar battle in Unilag several years before the OAU heroes. NTA network news even dedicated a portion of their broadcast to that brutal period. Several established cultists were apprehended and brutalized. It was a bold move if you know the Unilag of that era. While the Akoka campus only witnessed sporadic cult rivalry attacks, it was the national focal point where decisions were made. It was also the safe house for wanted cultists across Nigeria.

The reprisal was brutal. Sowore was left for dead. The rest is history.

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by raumdeuter: 1:18pm On Jul 10, 2019
Background started in March 1999

A student was reported to be driving into school and he raced/overtook a car which was believed to have some suspected cultists
The suspected cultists chased him to Mozambique car park and attacked him for overtaking their car
The student ran into Awo Hall,
One of the cultists who was not a student of OAU believed to be a FUTA student chased the student into Awo hall where he was caught by Awo boys
He was interrogated and gave away the hideout of the other suspected cultists in town
The students led by Afrika the Student Union Secretary-General went to arrest the suspected cultists
Brought them to Awo Hall for some interrogation and later handed them over to School authorities
The names of those suspected cultists have already been posted earlier in this thread

The cultists handed over to the school authorities were released and this was the part that indicted the authorities in the murder that followed

A few days later, the School was closed around March 20 and reopened in June

It was believed that the interrogation and humiliation of the suspected cultists who were believed to be members of the was the remote cause of the reprisal attack in July. The National body was said to have seen that as an insult on their group. Members of the cult were recruited from other schools to carry out d the hit

The July attack details are already posted

The aftermath of the attack, the students led an attack on all suspected cultists, some were reported killed, some fled the school and never came back but one guy Efosa Idahosa was caught, and he claimed the VC was in the know. He was handed over to police, taken to court and eventually released

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2019
Gaspardd:

2018? Wow. Also oau, finished 2013 but i aint proud of it cuz i learnt nothing.
Buhhhaaaaahhhhaa. You na part of the gberu sokale crew?

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by jhubril(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2019
thewatcher2020:

I still remember this story like I was there! My brother was there... he was playing scrabble game with one of the murdered student Eviano an Isoko boy. He Eviano played some “heavy” grammar which my bro screamed “Lai lai I dey go collect Chambers from them Austin room...”

My bro passed some of the guys on his way and by sheer coincidence he was actually running to go grab the dictionary before they fired a shot into their room. Eviano died. Geez! Bro never went back to Ife after that... he was shattered after that experience. I was barely 9!

Hmm God save ur bro
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by GEEBITE: 1:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
Dont mind him,he had no girlfriend.Legacy jumped down from his room window when death was almost at his door.Yes VC'Omole's hands are soiled in blood. Ife was almost a fortress then but they drove in and out easily even with advance security warnings that we heard later about impeding hit.He surely compromised as those two guys were becoming athorn in his flesh.Irony was that he was a firebrand student union activist in his days too.
TmKonzept:

You lied;
1. No female was killed in the attack
2. Lanre legacy was around and escaped death by a stroke of luck
3. It is not a rumour, Wale Omole sponsored the massacre

1 Like

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Gaspardd(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2019
AwkaetitiBabe:
Buhhhaaaaahhhhaa. You na part of the gberu sokale crew?
Lol nope. My brain is just dull and wud never allow anything to come in.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2019
Gaspardd:

Lol nope. My brain is just dull and wud never allow anything to come in.
OH OK. That's understandable.
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Stargurl20(f): 1:43pm On Jul 10, 2019
Pathetic cry
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by koyeni(m): 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2019
Stayed in dt block 8 and sometimes fear go dy catch person make '99 experience no happen again

2 Likes

Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by sameni123(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10, 2019
But seriously is it the job of sug to apprehend cultist ? There’s was one that was killed at lasu too forgot his name he was an eiye using the sug anti cultism to arrest and kill rival cultist before he was gunned down ,
Rip Africa rest on
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Ugosample(m): 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2019
Blackfire:
Who send them?

Do you know the sacrifice I make to keep this shithole together

To be In this shithole, do you know what it takes?

Come no make me vex o
wow
what kind of comment is this?
Re: George Iwilade: The July 10th OAU Massacre, 20 Years After by Bizibi(m): 2:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
2mch:
Shame on Guardian Newspaper for appointing Wale Omole to their board.
what!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Primary School Pupils Visit Uyo Airport (Photos) / #PHOTO: UNIABUJA Student Dies In His Sleep Night After Death Tweet / Popoola Kehinde Esther Gets FG's Scholarship (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.