Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,285 members, 7,881,064 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:45 AM

Police Stop Ibb’s Rally - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Stop Ibb’s Rally (551 Views)

Police Stop #BringBackOurgirls# Group From Entering Aso Rock Today / Police Stop Million Man March For Buhari In Kano / Rivers Guber: Tension As Police Stop APC Rally In Okrika (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Stop Ibb’s Rally by nobleobed(m): 5:54am On Oct 11, 2010
The Police in Kaduna yesterday stopped the planned presidential campaign of former military president Gen. Ibrahim Babangida for "security reasons."

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) aspirant was scheduled to open his campaign office at the Murtala Square and address a rally, but the event was cancelled at the last minute because the police declined to give its permission.

Kaduna State Commissioner of Police Tambari Yabo Mohammed said the law and not the police stopped the rally, adding that the organisers did not follow the rules.

"The Public Order Act states that the police should be given at least a 48-hour notice for political processions but the IBB people came to our office at about 10.00pm on Saturday to inform us about the rally billed for Sunday," the police chief said.

Besides, according to him, Vice President Namadi Sambo to was visiting the city.

"When we consider the proximity of the IBB campaign office to the Government Lodge on Alimi Road where the Vice President is staying, we decided not to allow them hold the rally to avoid a situation where there will be a clash between their supporters.

"We did that in the interest of the state and so, it will be wrong to say that the Commissioner of Police stopped the rally because I did not stop the rally. I cannot stop any rally that conforms to the provisions of the law."

The police boss explained how the request by the IBB campaign body could have been treated had the necessary steps been taken. "If they had complied with the law and given us 48 hours notice or even came to us early in the day, we could either have given them a new date or changed the venue if they insisted on going ahead with the rally.

"You can see that the Vice President is in town and we are heavily involved in his activities. Notwithstanding, we could have changed the venue and mobilized our men to the place; but they did not follow the rules", he said.

Asked whether he was under instruction to stop the rally, Mohammed said; "nobody asked me to stop any rally. I am the Police Commissioner here and I am here because I am capable of handling the state. Otherwise, I will not be here".

The IBB campaign organisation had in a letter dated Oct. 9 informed the police that the former President was visiting Kaduna in continuation of his campaigns and consultation with stakeholders in the state.

The letter signed by the state Coordinator of the IBB campaign team and former Speaker of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, Hon. Bashir Zubairu, reads "I write to inform you that His Excellency, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, and his National Campaign team will visit Kaduna State on Sunday, October 10, 2010 for consultation with politicians and other prominent citizens of the state. Above for your information".

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/15739.html

Re: Police Stop Ibb’s Rally by slap1(m): 6:10am On Oct 11, 2010
The anti-GEJ group will surely smell a rat.
Re: Police Stop Ibb’s Rally by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 11, 2010
Liars, they can't stop a moving train , GEJ AT WORK AGAIN cheesy
Re: Police Stop Ibb’s Rally by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 11, 2010
Liars, they can't stop a moving train , GEJ AT WORK AGAIN cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Dele Momodu 2011 / Should Nigeria Split... / One In Three South African Men Admit To Rape, Survey Finds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.