Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,741 members, 7,875,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 29 June 2024 at 11:40 PM

2 Fear Dead In C’river, Benue Communal Clash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2 Fear Dead In C’river, Benue Communal Clash (203 Views)

C’River Bye-Elections: Don’t Allow APC Intimidate You — Wike To PDP / Justice Paul Obidigwe Attacked, Houses Burnt In Anambra Communal Clash / No Court Sacked Me, I Am Still In C’River Guber Race – Gov. Ayade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2 Fear Dead In C’river, Benue Communal Clash by akelicious(m): 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2019
Two persons are feared dead following a communal clash between Obudu in Cross River and Vandiekya in Benue state.

Hostilities were said to have broken out in the early hours of Wednesday when Vandiekya youths allegedly launched an attack on their Obudu neighbours.

Both communities have been engaged in war for decades over farmland, leading to wanton destruction of properties and subsequent killings.

A witness, John Agba, who spoke with our correspondent on phone, said trouble started when an Obudu farmer went to farm and was harassed and inflicted with machete cuts and he had run back home.

Agba said on getting home, his kinsmen in Obudu mobilised and launched an attack on Vandiekya community and equally wounded some people.

In apparent reprisal, the Vandiekya community invaded the border area in Obudu and caused some mayhem.

The invasion, however, escalated as it later developed into full-scale war, leading to the death of two persons.

It was learnt that the students of Federal College of Education (FCE), were said to have deserted the school for fear of attack.

Confirming the incident, the Permanent Secretary in charge of security matters in governor’s office, Dr Alfred Mboto, said: “We are aware of the clash between Obudu and Benue State; the police commissioners of both states have mobilised security to the conflict zone.

“We have not got any official report of any death so far. But I assure you that peace has been restored there. Besides, we are meeting to ensure it doesn’t re-occur.”

https://www.akelicious.net/2019/07/2-fear-dead-in-criver-benue-communal.html

Re: 2 Fear Dead In C’river, Benue Communal Clash by Ziel20: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2019
The conflicts regarding land possession is completely insane.

Yes i wanna own one.
Yes i need a farmland.
Yes its a worthy inheritance for both myself and my generation unborn, but what profit is it to anyone including myself if my head goes for it.

I could be labeled a coward but who cares? Two dead and they'd probably be buried on that same field they died for. Mission failed.

Point is... Not everything can be gotten through conflict. Life should matter. Land disputes can be resolved without the use of forceful violence. lipsrsealed
Re: 2 Fear Dead In C’river, Benue Communal Clash by emptor(m): 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2019
Again?

(1) (Reply)

#mandeladay2019: How Madiba Would’ve Tackled Xenophobia In South Africa / I’m Ready To Pay N30,000 New Minimum Wage – Masari / NYSC Has Given Credibility To Nigeria’s Elections — Gowon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.