Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,880 members, 7,980,070 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 03:27 AM

Don’t Impose RUGA Programme On States, Sen Orji Kalu Tells FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Impose RUGA Programme On States, Sen Orji Kalu Tells FG (390 Views)

Protest: They Will Waste You, Deputy Speaker Kalu Tells Ndigbo (Video) / There Is Still Room For You In APC - Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Kalu Tells Otti / Minimum Wage: N30,000 Is Settled But Adjustments Will Be Based On States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Impose RUGA Programme On States, Sen Orji Kalu Tells FG by BleedingPen: 9:19am On Jul 15, 2019
Senate Chief Whip, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, has advised the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration not to impose the Ruga settlements programme on the states.

Kalu made this known on Friday during a press briefing in Abuja. The Senator advised the Federal Government to do necessary extensive consultations and engagements with community stakeholders in the various states of the country in order to seek their consent and understanding.

Kalu also said that the government needed to sensitise the public on the business potentials of the programme saying that Ruga was a business venture which can be practiced by anyone. He stated that the apprehension being expressed over the plan by the Federal Government to create cattle settlements was needless.

He told reporters in Abuja that he established a successful RUGA settlement in Abia State when he was governor of the state in 2001.

The controversial cattle market, he said, is located in Lokpanta, Umunneochi Local Government Area, along Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

The Abia North Senator noted that the need to avoid farmer/ herders clashes necessitated him to pioneer the establishment of RUGA in the state. He insisted that the establishment of RUGA in parts of the country was not what anybody should be worried about. Kalu said that it was wrong for some people to see cow business as exclusively for the Fulani.

He said that the settlement he created for Fulani herders has become the biggest cow market in the South east and the South south. Cattle business, which he described as profitable, he said, has become the trade of the elite in the country.

Kalu said:
“When you talk about RUGA, it is not anything that people should be worried about. In 2001, I established RUGA in Abia.

“In Lokpanta,( Umunneochi LGA Abia North) I built a place where the whole cattle is sold in Umuahia and Aba, in 2001, when I became governor.

“I built it and they called me; I said Umuahia and Aba, we need to de-congest.

“What they call Shoprite today, used to be cattle settlement if anybody knows that. The same thing with Aba. I had an honest meeting with them where I said I was going to provide electricity and water but this is where you are going to be.

“I procured five Coaster buses and said bring your RUGA. I will join with some of your executives, let us go and see this land. If it is agreeable by all of us, I will call the communities and talk to them.

“We had meetings and the communities said yes. They took off in Lokpanta. That is the biggest cow market in both South South and South East. It is the biggest cattle market today.

“This is the issue. The Federal Government should always do a wide consultation because if you just go back and put a deliberate policy, I want to do RUGA, people in my village in Igbere do not understand what RUGA is.

“They will fear and say that they want to kill all of us. Some of us are the largest sellers of cattle. I started selling cows as far back as when I was in the university (of Maidugiri Borno State.)”

Source: https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/07/dont-impose-programmes-on-states-kalu-tells-fg/

Cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, OAM4J

Re: Don’t Impose RUGA Programme On States, Sen Orji Kalu Tells FG by Racoon(m): 9:23am On Jul 15, 2019
Guess the Colliation of Northern Group(CNG) man said RUGA must be implemented within 30days or.....? OUK you seems not to like your ant infested fire woods again?
Re: Don’t Impose RUGA Programme On States, Sen Orji Kalu Tells FG by BabaIbo: 9:25am On Jul 15, 2019
"The RUGA Govt Of Bu.hari was Looking Forward To Add AFCON Trophy As Their Achievement But The Blood Of The Innocent Souls Killed By Fu...lani Herdsmen Said NO WAY!

"Senate President Lawan And Co Should Stay In Egypt With Their Bad Luck. We Don't Need Them Back In Nigeria. Congratulations to The Boys They Tried Their Best But the Badluck of The APC"The RUGA Govt Of Buhari was Looking Forward To Add AFCON Trophy As Their Achievement But The Blood Of The Innocent Souls Killed By Fulani Herdsmen Said NO WAY!

"Senate President Lawan And Co Should Stay In Egypt With Their Bad Luck. We Don't Need Them Back In Nigeria. Congratulations to The Boys They Tried Their Best But the Badluck of The APC RUGA Government Followed Them To Egypt.

- Senator Dino Melaye RUGA Government Followed Them To Egypt.

- Senator Dino Melaye

(1) (Reply)

Kidnappers, Cow Rustlers, Robbers And Illegal Arms Parade Pictures. / Igbo Govs Back Call For Relocation Of Herdsmen From Southern Nigeria / The Resurrection Of RUGA By Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.