Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,325 members, 7,881,210 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:22 PM

Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First (8905 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan New Year Message To Nigerians / President Jonathan's New Year Message To The Nation / President Jonathan's New Year Suprise For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Ibime(m): 7:07pm On Oct 12, 2010
Its not good enough to admit that nobody investigated previous bomb blasts. There was nothing to investigate sef cos MEND already owned up to the previous blast. Its only when the blast makes GEJ campaign look bad that he deems it necessary to investigate. In Nigeria, life is cheaper than image.

Meanwhile Mr President says he was not absolving MEND, but he sent Presidential Jet to PH to go and pick up militants to come to Abuja and absolve MEND.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by ITbomb(m): 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2010
Our problem as always been english language. we cant simply communicate with it Even here on nl one statement can be interpreted with different meanings. my own interpretation is that; Mr presido said that other bombings were tagged niger-Delta crisis and since resolution is on the way no need for new investigation. so this abuja bombing should be treated as a stand alone terrorist act as such investigation should be made involving everybody not limiting it to mend.
That is my humble interpretation
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^^^thank you my brother
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2010
@Ibime & co. The problem with you guys is dat u do not understand wat MEND means to the Niger Deltan, it isnt just a group but one every Ngr Dltan loved to identify with becos it fought for our collective cause after decades of neglect with good results to show for their efforts and pains. Now to see dat same name we've all come to respect and identify with reduced to an insulting terrorist organisation just to serve the needs of a couple of selfish individuals is completely unacceptable to the Niger Deltan that supported their collective cause. Therefore neccessity is laid on anyone in a position to do so to educate ignorant ppl like you that can not tell the difference bw a MEND that fought multinationals in the creeks of the ND and a hijacked MEND whose forte is propaganda and murdering of innocent citizens in the streets. GEJ was only trying to draw that distinction in his comments but i guess he was asking too much from folks that Skipped their Comprehension classes. The biggest loser in those twin bombings wasnt GEJ or his campaign, it was the entity called Nigeria! So to have you and your likes sit and gloat at GEJ simply becos he's at the helm of affairs is just pathetic.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Ibime(m): 8:10pm On Oct 12, 2010
@ Wesley,

Trust, I know what MEND means to Niger Deltans. Ask around.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 8:26pm On Oct 12, 2010
@Ibime . Take it from me, you dont.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2010
@ ibime u better come home for holiday, you re loosing it.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by LouisThoru(f): 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2010
Idiots.

The President was right.

He simply meant, the bomb blast is criminal and has nothing to do with the fight for the emancipation of the niger delta.

MEND, MEANS MOVEMENT FOR THE EMANCIPATION OF THE NIGER DELTA.

Why cant people use their brains?

So if the President said the bomb blast has nothing to do with MEND, doesn't it simply meant to say, the blast has nothing to do with the fight, i.e. the emancipation, and not the group?
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Ibime(m): 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2010
@ df2006, Thanks for the offer. Shebi I fit stay for your house?

@ Wesley,

The MEND I recognise is not the Ateke them I see on AIT being crowned as spokespeople for Niger Delta.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2010
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has clarified his statement following the Independence Day twin blasts in Abuja, which had been interpreted in some quarters as absolving the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) from blame, even before investigations were concluded.

He made the clarification while receiving members of the Northern Political Summit on a visit to the State House, Abuja, on Monday, adding that the statement, which he made during his sympathy visit to victims in hospital, was an attempt to ensure that all those who carried out the act did not hide under the umbrella of MEND.

“Why am I saying that it was not MEND? That is the sin I have committed. And I always explain to people that look, this car bombs first of all happened in Benin, Edo State. Somebody even died and another in Bayelsa State, nobody made an investigation but they said it was Niger Delta crisis.

“It was buried under MEND, under Niger Delta crisis. Again, another one in Port Harcourt, luckily nobody died, but the incident was buried.”

He observed that not long ago, a national daily was organising a programme in Warri and a bomb went off, just as it did when governors and senior citizens were meeting and nobody ordered an investigation.

He said further “then now in Abuja on October 1, they said MEND again. I said no, we cannot continue to bury this under Niger Delta crisis or MEND. That is the sin I have committed.”

The president, who said he had decided to refrain from further comments on the bomb blasts to allow security agencies to do their work, was confident that all those behind the blasts would be unearthed.

He thanked the northern leaders for the visit which, he noted, was reassuring.

source http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11974-my-position-on-mend-jonathan
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2010
@ ibime you know you re welcome any time.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Dede1(m): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2010
Anybody that bites the fingers that fed him/her is capable of anything. GEJ is a double-mouthed President and amounts to no good.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by IbroYaya: 9:02pm On Oct 12, 2010
To be honest I don't see anything wrong with what Mr President said!

I didn't want to give any comment on this issue, but I just noticed something. It is the same people finding fault with first one that are still doing the same with this statement.
So my conclusion is that, there is nothing GEJ will say that will go down well with these people, therefore I believe that they are actually working for someone evil. They will not succeed. Nigerians are wise and far above personal sentiments.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 9:07pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^ Which of your fingers did he bite?
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Dede1(m): 9:09pm On Oct 12, 2010
Ibime:

Its not good enough to admit that nobody investigated previous bomb blasts. There was nothing to investigate sef cos MEND already owned up to the previous blast. Its only when the blast makes GEJ campaign look bad that he deems it necessary to investigate. In Nigeria, life is cheaper than image.

Meanwhile Mr President says he was not absolving MEND, but he sent Presidential Jet to PH to go and pick up militants to come to Abuja and absolve MEND.

You are really the son of your grandfather. MEND had unequivocally assumed the responsibility of the bomb blast in Abuja. The persons to be investigated are the GEJ, Director of SSS, Ministers of Internal affairs and FCT, IGP and Director of National Security Agency. It is important that Nigerian public should be made to understand what these people knew about the bomb plot and when they knew it.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Beaf: 9:11pm On Oct 12, 2010
ITbomb:

Our problem as always been english language. we cant simply communicate with it Even here on nl one statement can be interpreted with different meanings. my own interpretation is that; Mr presido said that other bombings were tagged niger-Delta crisis and since resolution is on the way no need for new investigation. so this abuja bombing should be treated as a stand alone terrorist act as such investigation should be made involving everybody not limiting it to mend.
That is my humble interpretation

I just thought to contribute this important piece to the thread; English Grammar Lessons for Adults grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Dede1(m): 9:13pm On Oct 12, 2010
wesley80:

^^^ Which of your fingers did he bite?

I guess you do not have comprehensible problem. I did not write that I fed him. Besides, it is a metaphoric expression
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 9:33pm On Oct 12, 2010
@Dede1 I'd suggest you take up Beaf's offer please,its so glaring you also need it. Dont be shy bro, just Stoop to conquer.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Onlytruth(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2010
df2006:

PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has clarified his statement following the Independence Day twin blasts in Abuja, which had been interpreted in some quarters as absolving the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) from blame, even before investigations were concluded.

He made the clarification while receiving members of the Northern Political Summit on a visit to the State House, Abuja, on Monday, adding that the statement, which he made during his sympathy visit to victims in hospital, was an attempt to ensure that all those who carried out the act did not hide under the umbrella of MEND.

“Why am I saying that it was not MEND? That is the sin I have committed. And I always explain to people that look, this car bombs first of all happened in Benin, Edo State. Somebody even died and another in Bayelsa State, nobody  made an investigation but they said it was Niger Delta crisis.

It was buried under MEND, under Niger Delta crisis. Again, another one in Port Harcourt, luckily nobody died, but the incident was buried.

He observed that not long ago, a national daily was organising a programme in Warri and a bomb went off, just as it did when governors and senior citizens were meeting and nobody ordered an investigation.

He said further “then now in Abuja on October 1, they said MEND again. I said no, we cannot continue to bury this under Niger Delta crisis or MEND. That is the sin I have committed.”

The president, who said he had decided to refrain from further comments on the bomb blasts to allow security agencies to do their work, was confident that all those behind the blasts would be unearthed.

He thanked the northern leaders for the visit which, he noted, was reassuring.

source http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/11974-my-position-on-mend-jonathan

To all the English language pedants here, I have a very simple question.

Please, who was the president of Nigeria when all these previous bombings occurred and was not investigated? 
Did any of those bombings take place under Yar adua? I really need to know.

Maybe I need to take up Beaf's adult English class.  undecided undecided undecided cry cry grin
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 9:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
It is also safe to say that it is the same folks who saw nothing wrong with the first comment that see nothing wrong with this one. This group of folks will support anything gej does or says
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Beaf: 9:57pm On Oct 12, 2010
Onlytruth:

To all the English language pedants here, I have a very simple question.

Please, who was the president of Nigeria when all these previous bombings occurred and was not investigated?
Did any other those bombings take place under Yar adua? I really need to know.

Maybe I need to take up Beaf's adult English class. undecided undecided undecided cry cry grin

Na, you're excused from the class (no freeloading wink). All the bombing events (aside from the Independence Bomb Blast) took place at state level. The governors never got FG assistance, cos they didn't request it or maybe turned it down (the governor is the chief security officer of the state); therefore, they didn't fall under GEJ's ambit.

The Independence Bomb Blast, however was a federal level event, so there was no structure or bureaucracy to navigate before getting to GEJ.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

Na, you're excused from the class (no freeloading wink). All the bombing events (aside from the Independence Bomb Blast) took place at state level. The governors never got FG assistance, cos they didn't request it or maybe turned it down (the governor is the chief security officer of the state); therefore, they didn't fall under GEJ's ambit.

The Independence Bomb Blast, however was a federal level event, so there was no structure or bureaucracy to navigate before getting to GEJ.

Talk about devolution of National Tragedy and abdication of responsibility.

How come we have centralised Police, Centralised Army, Centralised security agencies . . . . but when a National tragedy occurs we start devolving responsibility?

You people will say anything to get GEJ off the hook. Please we need a President that takes responsibilities for his failures.

Jonathan's talk about bombs going off in Nigeria without investigation betrays a sense of a man who is over 8months into his job but yet does not understand his job description.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

this from the same person who has been spamming the board with fg sends troops to abia, fg sends troops to borno cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 10:21pm On Oct 12, 2010
@Onlytruth Yes you're right it was GEJ , but if u were in his shoes wat would u have done barely 2 months into an administration that u still had people questioning your authority? Would you have set the dogs out to chase an org.that still had public opinion massively in their favour esp in your own home region? Or would you have done what any rational Nigerian leader would do in waiting for public opinion to sway and have a sound footing b4 making your move? Lets not act like Nigeria is an ideal place like the US where everything seems 2 work becos GEJ is on the throne. Someone started a thread that Nigerians do not deserve a leader like GEJ and i quite agree cos if we had an OBJ or IBB dat would do their thing without recourse 2 wat d average nigerian thinks, by now this would have been a 4gotten issue and their re-election wld still b sure, yet GEJ is shouting himself hoarse trying to make a point and there he is being hounded by u and i. May God help us.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Beaf: 10:43pm On Oct 12, 2010
mikeansy:

Talk about devolution of National Tragedy and abdication of responsibility.

How come we have centralised Police, Centralised Army, Centralised security agencies . . . . but when a National tragedy occurs we start devolving responsibility?

You people will say anything to get GEJ off the hook. Please we need a President that takes responsibilities for his failures.

Jonathan's talk about bombs going off in Nigeria without investigation betrays a sense of a man who is over 8months into his job but yet does not understand his job description.

Here is an example of a state governor going to GEJ to ask for troops to be sent to his state; http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5629297-146/government_may_deploy_troops_to_borno.csp
GEJ can't just send troops anywhere like a military dictator. Thats the way it works; the governor, as Chief Security Officer of their state makes a request to the FG; when he percieves matters to be beyond his local abilities, he hops off to Abuja to give the President a report and ask for FG assistance.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 10:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

Here is an example of a state governor going to GEJ to ask for troops to be sent to his state; http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5629297-146/government_may_deploy_troops_to_borno.csp
GEJ can't just send troops anywhere like a military dictator. Thats the way it works; the governor, as Chief Security Officer of their state makes a request to the FG; when he percieves matters to be beyond his local abilities, he hops off to Abuja to give the President a report and ask for FG assistance.

So are you saying that if a Governor does not ask for Federal Support or refuses one, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has no power to intervein in matters that have to do with security of lives and properties in the State?

Please do not re-write the Nigerian constitution

Who gave Jonathan permission to send EFCC to State Governments you people want to have it both ways
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Onlytruth(m): 10:52pm On Oct 12, 2010
wesley80:

@Onlytruth Yes you're right it was GEJ , but if u were in his shoes wat would u have done barely 2 months into an administration that u still had people questioning your authority? Would you have set the dogs out to chase an org.that still had public opinion massively in their favour esp in your own home region? Or would you have done what any rational Nigerian leader would do in waiting for public opinion to sway and have a sound footing b4 making your move? Lets not act like Nigeria is an ideal place like the US where everything seems 2 work becos GEJ is on the throne. Someone started a thread that Nigerians do not deserve a leader like GEJ and i quite agree cos if we had an OBJ or IBB dat would do their thing without recourse 2 wat d average nigerian thinks, by now this would have been a 4gotten issue and their re-election wld still b sure, yet GEJ is shouting himself hoarse trying to make a point and there he is being hounded by u and i. May God help us.

Anyone familiar with my position on Jonathan would recognize that my issue with him is mainly one of weakness or inaction or indecision. Leadership don't mix well with those things. They are like water and fire!

Of course I don't expect him to "kill a lion bare handed" in two months, but the Igbo say that a chick that will become a cock is known young (you see it flying on top of his mother!).

Jonathan is a young man full of blood and energy. He needs to show us that he is different from his older counterparts. As far as I'm concerned, Jonathan must achieve one thing -resource control- for him to be taken seriously especially by his home base. That would effectively neutralize the aims of MEND. I even suspect that is why he was elevated in the first place. People thought he could stop this MEND thing. He has not.  undecided

I had advocated that he uses whatever power at this disposal to lobby the members of the national assembly to restructure the revenue sharing formula to give more money (and responsibility) to the states where they are generated, hence making the federal government less attractive to thieves. He can do this, but it appears that is not his immediate priority. He is focused on wining elections next year, and in the process, he is abdicating his role as the commander in chief of the federal republic of Nigeria.

A month on the seat of power (one as powerful as Nigerian presidency) is worth a whole lot! He has not done much in nine months. I can't see him doing anything even if given four or eight more years.

He should always remember that he is the president of Nigeria, and that time is not his friend.

Let that guy borrow me for two months sef!   angry cool cool
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by wesley80(m): 11:05pm On Oct 12, 2010
^^^ i wouldnt borrow u for a second judging by how short sighted and narrow minded u are and neither will any1 not even your mentor IBB would take dat risk - No offense.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Beaf: 11:13pm On Oct 12, 2010
mikeansy:

So are you saying that if a Governor does not ask for Federal Support or refuses one, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has no power to intervein in matters that have to do with security of lives and properties in the State?

Please do not re-write the Nigerian constitution

Who gave Jonathan permission to send EFCC to State Governments you people want to have it both ways

Do you actually feel the President can be everywhere, like some kind of spirit? And that governors have nothing to do, but twiddle their fingers?
Dude, I've given you the way things work and a link to prove it. Anyways, here is the pic of the meeting (cos I believe you never clicked the link);

LINK: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5629297-146/government_may_deploy_troops_to_borno.csp

A responsible governor doing right by his state in going to brief the President and request for troops to be sent.

Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 12, 2010
Onlytruth

May God bless you. Some folks think the solution to Niger-delta problem is amnesty to Militants. it simply is not.
The current amnesty programme will simply create a loop that simply produces billionaire ex-war lords while new commanders take their place on the fighting field as soon as the previous commanders embrace amnesty.

The long term solution to this crisis is honest leadership geared towards development that all can feel, genuine resource control. That way the people will see and experience real changes and MEND will no longer be popular. If anybody carries arms claiming to fight for Niger-Delta then they will have to explain why they think they can take the laws into their hands and why they are anymore responsible to the people of Niger-Delta than the Government in place. As we the Government of the day do not have the moral right to take this issue head on because of corruption.

Hence a whole industry has been built on the misfortunes of the Nigerian people expecially folks in Niger-Delta. You now have ex-thieves and ex-pick pockets lining their pockets all in the name of fighting for the common man. Asari, Ateke, Fara, Tompolo, Okah etc . all of these boys are now millionaires. How many have put up a simple bore hole for the sake of the people they claim to be fighting for?

And then you have the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who instead of focusing on his job is now trying to help us define who MEND are.

What a circus.
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Beaf: 11:50pm On Oct 12, 2010
mikeansy:

Onlytruth

May God bless you. Some folks think the solution to Niger-delta problem is amnesty to Militants. it simply is not.
The current amnesty programme will simply create a loop that simply produces billionaire ex-war lords while new commanders take their place on the fighting field as soon as the previous commanders embrace amnesty.

The long term solution to this crisis is honest leadership geared towards development that all can feel, genuine resource control. That way the people will see and experience real changes and MEND will no longer be popular. If anybody carries arms claiming to fight for Niger-Delta then they will have to explain why they think they can take the laws into their hands and why they are anymore responsible to the people of Niger-Delta than the Government in place. As we the Government of the day do not have the moral right to take this issue head on because of corruption.

Hence a whole industry has been built on the misfortunes of the Nigerian people expecially folks in Niger-Delta. You now have ex-thieves and ex-pick pockets lining their pockets all in the name of fighting for the common man. Asari, Ateke, Fara, Tompolo, Okah etc . all of these boys are now millionaires. How many have put up a simple bore hole for the sake of the people they claim to be fighting for?

And then you have the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who instead of focusing on his job is now trying to help us define who MEND are.

What a circus.

And for some reason, you think you have a better idea of who MEND is than the Chief Security Officer of the country? shocked
Wetin eye no go see for dis NL sef?

An integral part of the Presidents job is to define security threats to the populace. . . Just so you know. cool
Re: Jonathan's New Explanation Of Abuja Bomb Blast, Worst Than The First by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 12, 2010
Beaf:

Do you actually feel the President can be everywhere, like some kind of spirit? And that governors have nothing to do, but twiddle their fingers?
Dude, I've given you the way things work and a link to prove it. Anyways, here is the pic of the meeting (cos I believe you never clicked the link);

LINK: http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5629297-146/government_may_deploy_troops_to_borno.csp

A responsible governor doing right by his state in going to brief the President and request for troops to be sent.

Please that is just not how things work and a news report from next about a Governor demanding assistance from the Federal Government does not suggest that that is some kind of definition of the process and how the process must work. it does not have to always work like that.

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria does not require permission from any State Governor to protect Nigerians in any state, While coutesy demands that he does liaise with the Governor, that does not mean he can not act if the Governor chooses not to act.

The President can not be everywhere at everytime but he is not personally carrying out these investigations himself or driving armoured tanks to keep the peace himself. He just has to dish out orders and his orders are carried out, that is what a commander-in-chief does.

if this is too much for him, then may be he should give way let others try.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

20 Die As Plateau sects Clash Again / Buhari, Lawmakers May Clash Again Over National Assembly 2018 Funds / We Won’t Negotiate 2023 Igbo Presidency, S-east APC Chieftains Tell Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.