Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,563 members, 7,972,110 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 12:27 AM

Why Beat A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Beat A Child? (304 Views)

Can We Beat A 2-year Old Boy ? / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Beat A Child? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 16, 2019
Stop and read this if you have a child or wants to have anytime soon. Not flogging a kid won't make the kid wayward, infact if done right, the kid have higher chances of been brilliant than his/her counterpart. This is scientifically proven.

What if i ask you, does beating truly corrects the bad behaviours in a kid?
Why beat a child? Please don't disregard this... This is a candid advice from an ex-kid. Not just a normal one, this one loves flogging than been insulted. Haha, i strucked something inside you too, you are just like me as a kid. We love that flogging part than been insulted or become the topic in the house...'kuku beat me and let the whole thing die'. Some of us still hate to be fed with words (i still do). I grew up as a kid who wouldn't feel complete if he hasn't been beaten a day, not because i was a bad boy, no. I can't even steal if it's not my parent's (yes, i took thier money to rent bicycles and rode away time), i will surely be caught no doubts, but i would rather trade my punishment for flogging than been fed with words.

Let me tell you this, the holy book okays it to beat a child so that the 'madness' in his heart melt away. Hmmm, sounds good to deal ruthlessly with that kid though, but let me ask you, how many times has beating a kid solved the problem? Yes, he/she will feel remorseful (which I doubt), get the idea that he/she is wrong, but the truth remains that the kid will also be withdrawn from you, then where is the trust between a guardian and a child? Flogging will only make the kid not to feel comfortable enough to express himself and have an honest conversation. Beating will cause the child to close up. This is the reason why a lot of children do not have close relationship with their parents, i suffered that as a kid too. I got withdrawn from my folks. One very bad thing i experienced was that i became a bit wild, my little brain has adapted to the flogs yet it didn't stop my bad behaviours because i knew all in all 'na to chop beating'.

I'm not trying to discredit the holy books, but i need clarification on why the western peeps made it a law not to beat a child.... Isn't the bible written from there? Just thinking aloud.
What will make a child be opened to you when they know all in all it must lead to beating?

Open relationships between parents and kids is very vital to their success in life. Make a one on one talk with your child, make him/her your friend and see how he/she will divulge every secrets to you, even if it has to do with another's privacy.

Yes, those kids can be so annoying that at times you want to squeeze the life out of them. This is a urge every parent must have, but anytime such urge comes, why not think of the end loss and gap it would create between you and your kid. No one would agree to this more than myself. There are many times i feel like talking to my parents as a kid, but then i see no reason to do that because it may land me into more trouble. I'm sure you want something better for your kid.

Who floggings help? I really don't blame our parents, they were raised to believe flogging was the best way to correct a child, but I'm not sorry to say this... The world has changed.

Truly there are a lot of angles to see this from, let's just opt to look at it from the angle of flogging as a tool for correction rather than lovely words. Why not make your child your friend than this scary face your wear all times.

We have been so rigid with our cultures in Africa, yet we tend to embrace the bad cultures of the west leaving them to emulate our own good way of life. If that is not so, what could explain why the whites prefers to eat their dinners together as a family whereas we over here share the food in the kitchen. Every child know his/her plate. Kids may even fight each other if one mistakenly uses the other plate. That isn't what we are saying, i just want us to see why every parent should have a friendly conversation/lifestyle with their kids. Let's take for example your kid broke a plate while washing. If i were you, i would buy the kid a diary. I will make him write that day he broke a plate and make him also promise to buy six of same plates as soon as he/she comes of age. Let him/her understand you'd give strict punishments if such ever happens again. Now see what this would bring, he/she will have a sense of belonging and indebtedness. Imagine you ain't home then your kid broke a plate again, will the kid tell lies about the plate or just accept the punishment? Yet, won't still be flogged, you need to encourage him/her to speak the truth regardless the situation (something our leaders are lacking till date). I don't believe in flogging as a curb to delinquencies, it hardly works.

I submit that it is high time we start training our kids better. We are all guilty (even the child right activists). I have no doubts if we stop all these igbanu, ifoti and every other species of igbarun, then kids will no more see reasons to lie, sweep bad acts under the carpet or even think like drabeey (it is not more than flogging).

I know some people are so hard-wired to beat at slightest provocations, but don't mind them, ask most of them about their lives as a kid. Most of them are the 'jagaban of stubbornness'. Yet they are the best crucifier now (yinmu for you oga disciplinarian). Not their faults, they wouldn't want such delinquency in their children. What if I told you that 'to be friendly with your kids will even make you live longer' check that up on google.

Use the comment box to explain your stance, don't leave me thinking alone.
Re: Why Beat A Child? by iamjahmeyou(m): 4:30pm On Jul 16, 2019
beat a child as you rightly stated cannot make a child be good or morally upright. I can vividly still remember all of my childhood memories, I did not receive any beating from my dad but only few from mum when she is really provoked. but Alhamdullilah I am still boost of being morally upright.
to me, praying and educating the children is far better than constantly beating the child to correct him or her.
Re: Why Beat A Child? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 16, 2019
iamjahmeyou:
beat a child as you rightly stated cannot make a child be good or morally upright. I can vividly still remember all of my childhood memories, I did not receive any beating from my dad but only few from mum when she is really provoked. but Alhamdullilah I am still boost of being morally upright.
to me, praying and educating the children is far better than constantly beating the child to correct him or her.

I remembered a time i had to lie to my parents that i was kidnapped just to evade the beatings. I went to see cocoa house and lost my way. I was only 8years old.
Re: Why Beat A Child? by babyfaceafrica: 7:01pm On Jul 16, 2019
all these.one.na grammar...treat ur child as u wish

1 Like

Re: Why Beat A Child? by Graduateacher(f): 8:07pm On Jul 16, 2019
I will beat my child, do your worst!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Voodoo Love Spells With Blood / Letter To My Mother / ........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.