Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,244 members, 7,880,904 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 08:57 AM

Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy (2460 Views)

31 Governors Shun Amendment, Financial Autonomy For State Assemblies / Governors Kick As Buhari Okays Financial Autonomy For Assemblies, Judiciary / Buhari Signs Bill On Financial Autonomy Of State Legislature, Judiciary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Igboblog: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2019
BREAKING!!! Ikuku vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy

By: Wisdom Nwedene, Ogochukwu Isioma

UMUAHIA, ABIA, NIGERIA - The rumoured Political tussle between the Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu and Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Hon. Chinedum Orji (Ikuku) seems to be taking a turn for the worse as the State House of Assembly yesterday, hurriedly passed a bill granting financial autonomy to itself, Igbere TV reports.

Igbere TV correspondent covering proceedings at the Assembly in Umuahia reports that the house within two days, 15th & 16th July, introduced and passed “A Bill for an Act to Establish the Abia State House of Assembly Service Commission and other Related Matters” personally sponsored by the Speaker.

The Bill has been subsequently forwarded to the Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu for executive assent, but as at press time, it’s yet to be seen what Ikpeazu will do.

Calls and text message sent to the Chief Press Secretary (CPS) to the Governor, Chief Onyebuchi Ememanka were not replied.

Speaking on the implication of the bill when assented, a media assistant the the Speaker, Promise Uzoma Okoro said:

"When assented, this bill means the Legislature will no longer be dependent on the Executive to run her Assembly since the allocation from the Federal Government goes Direct into the Assembly account"

Prior to this move, there has been widespread rumor of ‘cold war’ between the state governor, Okezie Ikpeazu and the Assembly speaker, Chinedum Orji, generally known as ‘Ikuku’, over alleged plot by Ikuku’s family to weaken Ikpeazu’s political influence in order to wrestle power from Ikpeazu ahead of 2023.

Rt. Hon. Chinedum Orji (Ikuku) is son of former governor of the state, and current senator representing Abia central senatorial zone, Senator T. A. Orji.

Within few days after his election as Speaker of the 7the Assembly, ‘Ikuku’ has set up several committees probing Ikpeazu’s appointees, Ministries, Agencies and parastatals of the Abia state government.

Before the current move for financial autonomy, Igbere TV reports that the House of Assembly had on June 11 slammed Abia state Government over what it termed ‘Environmental Decay’ in Aba and Umuahia under Ikpeazu’s administration and subsequently summoned the General Manager of the State Environmental Protection Agency ASEPA to appear before it within 24 hours.

The summon followed a motion raised by member representing Umuahia North State Constituency, Hon. Kelechi Onuzuruike during plenary on alleged poor waste management in Umuahia and Aba by the agency.

Supporting the motion, member representing Umuahia South State Constituency, Hon. Jerry Uzosike said the agency had been generating much revenue for the state government but hadn't done “the needful.”

But some members of the State Assembly disagreed with the House, alleging that the Speaker plan on using the agency to settle “scores” with the state government.

A lawmaker of the Abia Assembly, who craved anonymity, said that the speaker is believed to have governorship ambition in 2023.

“Mr. Speaker has a personal interest in this issue. From what we have observed so far, it's not just about the said refuse but some personal issues with the governor.

“I think the issue started right from when he declared intentions to contest the Speakership position.”

On his part, a lawmaker from Abia Central, said his colleagues from the said Aba Constituency refused to contribute to the motion when it was brought to the House because they are also aware of the issues.

“You see, when my colleague raised the motion and made mention of Aba, our colleagues from the zone never contributed to it because they too are aware of the politics they are trying to play.”

He alleged that lawmakers from Umuahia had cause to contribute to the motion because they had been ’sorted out' by sponsors of the motion.

Another lawmaker, who did not want his name mentioned, lamented what he described as witch-hunting on the part of the Assembly, saying, “the governor had assured the House, last week, of maximum cooperation and support when he also promised to procure new trucks for the agency.”

“The issue of refuse is not the main thing, I have asked my colleagues not to hide under ‘oversight function’, in fighting the state government.

“Remember we (the House) had passed a bill which permits ASEPA to generate funds for the state government. The House leadership is angry that the agency had not regarded them since the bill was successfully passed.”

Contacted by Igbere TV, an official of the Abia State Environmental Protection Agency, ASEPA, dismissed the notion that the agency had not lived up to its responsibilities.

He accused the Abia State Assembly of being insincere, alleging that the House leadership had wanted some “favours” from the agency.

“That is not true. You can see things for yourself, I believe you are a journalist and know what is right.

“We know what is going on, at the right time, we all we speak. But I assure you, we will never succumb to their threats and pressures.”

He assured that ASEPA led by Hon. Victor Apugo, would always stand by the people and do what is right, insisting that “the agency has always lived up to its responsibilities.”

Meanwhile, some concerned Abians have cried out condemning the alleged plot by Senator T. Orji’s family to “cripple” Governor Ikpeazu and “take over the running of the state government through the back door”.

Reacting, an Obingwa High Chief, Nkem Nwosu, said he had it on good authority that the Speaker would in the next few weeks and months, move against more appointees of the Abia State government.

He alleged that the move by Ikuku, is to see to the sack of the appointees and influence the appointment of his loyalists.

According to him, “Ikuku wants to sack all Ikpeazu’s loyalists and replace them with his, those who will do his biddings.”

Chief Nwosu added that “the ASEPA General Manager (Victor Apugo), has been penciled as first victim of the legislative onslaught.

Igbere TV will continue to keep a close eye on the development and bring you updates as events unfold.

Stay with Igbere TV, Africa’s number one community TV.

Source : http://igberetvnews.com/830248/breaking-ikuku-vs-ikpeazu-abia-assembly-passes-1st-bill-grants-self-financial-autonomy/

1 Share

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Wisdomkosi(m): 4:51pm On Jul 17, 2019
This is getting interesting.

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Blessynokoro: 4:53pm On Jul 17, 2019
Osetigo, watching keenly

2 Likes

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by softmind24: 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2019
Good for both sides
Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Neminc: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2019
So TA orji son is the speaker in abia? Na wa, it's now a family something

2 Likes

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Igboblog: 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2019
Cc, Lalasticlala
Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Blessynokoro: 6:27pm On Jul 17, 2019
Neminc:
So TA orji son is the speaker in abia? Na wa, it's now a family something

Pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Yyeske(m): 6:50pm On Jul 17, 2019
Abia state has always been unlucky when it comes to governance, from Orji Uzor Kalu to T.A Orji and this disaster called Ikpeazu.
Their wahala anyway, two of the aforementioned names were elected senators today and the third name may be elected to join them after his tenure as governor ends too. State assembly headed by the son of T.A Orji, na wah o. What do I know sef because ndi Abia may even elect him as governor when the disaster called Ikpeazu leaves.

1 Like

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by fergie001: 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2019
I have no comments......

Let them kill themselves.....love the movie going on...

1 Like

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Blessynokoro: 9:22pm On Jul 17, 2019
Yyeske:
Abia state has always been unlucky when it comes to governance, from Orji Uzor Kalu to T.A Orji and this disaster called Ikpeazu.
Their wahala anyway, two of the aforementioned names were elected senators today and the third name may be elected to join them after his tenure as governor ends too. State assembly headed by the son of T.A Orji, na wah o. What do I know sef because ndi Abia may even elect him as governor when the disaster called Ikpeazu leaves.

Condition of Abia calls for divine intervention

2 Likes

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Blessynokoro: 9:23pm On Jul 17, 2019
Enugupikin:
A state that bears name such as kalu, ufiem, Uma and ukpai which means nothing in igboland can't get it right

Lol

1 Like

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Ochendo1: 12:02am On Jul 18, 2019
This money miss road stupid governor is one of the weakest mumu ever, how can you allow your enemy emerge speaker. His incompetence would've been forgiven if he used his second term to destroy TA Orjis Dynasty in Abia, if that will be his only achievement. But no, he is probably too busy stealing money than playing real politics. If he is indeed wise, he must reach out to the likes of Alex Otti, Uche Ogah and even Orji Kalu now so as to join hands and cripple the "Ishi Mbe" Dynasty now or Abia will be finished for life. Ndi Ngwa should prevail on their governor to receive some sense walahi!
Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Adambx: 1:13am On Jul 18, 2019
Enugupikin:
Abia is a cursed state....how can a clan of people like the Ngwas who eat humans in a state exist and u expect such a state to progress..mbanu
All I see is Ginormous, bigsized, maxi,infinity looting coming soon..
Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Ademolaking(m): 1:37am On Jul 18, 2019
TRAVEL AND WORK IN
USA,
��CANADA,
UK,
AUSTRALIA
AND SCHENGEN COUNTRIES.
HERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY FOR TO START YOUR VISA PROCESSING AND ALSO APPLY FOR WORKING VISA OF 2,4 YEARS SLOT

WE GIVE DIRECT EMPLOYMENT PACKAGE AND IT IS 101% GUARANTEED FOR MORE INFORMATION

CALL [+234] 07064390108 or WHATSAPP[+234} 07064390108
Gmail: Travelagent223@gmail.com

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by Riley1991: 8:38am On Jul 18, 2019
Can anyone advice me on this please, I have been to the UK for my masters and came back at the right time. I intend going back for another degree in law a totally different course from my first degree and my second degree. I am so worried about the Visa process if there will be any problem. I need advice please ?
Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by omohayek: 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2019
How is this in any way a “turn for the worse” (and what is with the excessive prolixity of Nigeria’s pathetic excuses for “journalists”)? Isn’t this how things are supposed to be? Only in a sh*thole like Nigeria will a development like this be seen as something to be deplored: state assemblies are an independent component of government, and should be free of governors’ control, just as the local governments should be.

The real mystery is why Nigerians so passively accept the transformation of their state governments into mini-kingdoms, all the while moaning unceasingly about the abysmal levels of service delivery they receive from the politicians they allow to run roughshod over them. What else do you expect from men who have been freed from all restraint and accountability?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ikuku Vs Ikpeazu: Abia Assembly Passes 1st Bill, Grants Self Financial Autonomy by wordcat(m): 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2019
This is to me, a welcome development.

Financial Autonomy for the State House of Assembly.

Financial Autonomy for the Judiciary

Financial Autonomy for the Local government

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Former Lagos Councillor Spotted Pushing Garbage Truck In Lagos (VIDEO) / Desmond Elliot Trends On Twitter, See Why / Man Cries Out After Seeing The Quality Of Water People Of Inoma Anambra Drinks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.